Our Gift to You: Free Sock Knitting Pattern eBook

Dec 19, 2008
I don't have any magic words to help you get all your holiday knitting done on time. (Sorry about that.) But it's Friday, and since everyone around here is busy handing out gifts, I decided I wanted to have a gift for all my Knitting Daily friends, too.

And you know I am a sock knitting fiend. So the gift I came up with is a free eBook of sock patterns!

I know, I know, it really is not fair to tempt you with one more nifty pattern--let alone FIVE more nifty patterns!--when it is eight days before the Big Jolly Dude comes down the chimney, but the free pattern elves just couldn't contain themselves. (Are the free pattern elves kind of like Hogwarts house elves? I think they must be.) I chose five of our top sock knitting downloads on Knitting Daily and put them all together in one FREE ebook for you.

So what kind of socks are in this eBook? Let's see. I tried to include a little something for everyone:

For the lace fiends amongst you, there's Ann Budd's delicate lacy Seduction Socks. For a cozy treat after shoveling the driveway, how about a pair of gorgeous colorwork socks--the Caspian Sea Socks by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts? For every day wear, or for the man in your life, there's the richly cabled William Street Socks by Lisa Shroyer: or the classicly textured Diagonal Rib Socks by Ann Budd. And for a quick, easy project, try the beginner sock pattern--large needles and large yarn!--called Comfy Socks, brought to you by the talented folks over at Knitscene magazine.

I hope this weekend finds you enjoying your family and friends--with perhaps a bit of knitting in hand--surrounded by warmth and joy.

-- Sandi

Download Knitting Socks with Knitting Daily: 5 Free Sock Knitting Patterns

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Last center repeat is done! Now I get to pick up, oh, 1400 stitches? and start the border on my Leaf and Nupp Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush. (I love this pattern. Have I mentioned that I LOVE this pattern?)

Comments

glenda white wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 7:58 AM

I left a comment for you this weekend sad thing after I sent it I realised it was not your commwnt page. It was about socks, my g g grandmother was a civil war widow ,a tiny little Creek indian what she lacked in stature she made up in grit she was left with her children to raise and a farm to tend alone, but raise and tend she did. She was 23 miles from the nearest town when she needed supplies she had to walk ,so as not to waste any time she knitted a sock on the way there and the mate on the was back!!!!!!!!! now thats knitting. I am proud of her but I'll bet she would not see why it takes me a week to knit a pair of socks.

glnwhi@aol.com

Franne wrote
on Jul 24, 2010 4:01 PM

Does anyone have a really easy pattern to follow for socks?  I've only been

knitting scarves and baby blankets.  I took a knitting class a long time

ago and by the time I finished the class, I could knit mittens and slippers

but I've forgotten how to do either.  And, I would like a pattern that is only

a purl stitch, if possible.

koukla wrote
on Sep 3, 2009 4:43 AM

I'M looking for a basic sock pattern, top-down and I liked to use the magic loop method.

Help anyone!

CJones wrote
on Dec 26, 2008 2:07 PM
I started knitting 1 year ago & was interested in knitting socks but never had the guts to actually try. . .now I have the inspiration & patterns to get me started. THANK YOU, Thank You, thank you!!!
Penelope wrote
on Dec 22, 2008 3:18 AM
12/19 Ramona asked for source of 4" "glove" or dpns. Addi makes metal 4" dpns in 5 sizes fro US 0 to US 9. If can't get locally, http://www.yarnmarket.com offers them. I'm glad she asked the question as I have ordered them via my local shop, the Stitch Niche in Lex., KY
ElizabethB@5 wrote
on Dec 21, 2008 4:56 AM
*both hands straight up in the air, palms facing* YES! TOUCHDOWN! Thank you ever so much, y'all! This is exciting...I have to confess I used to hate making socks. I'm getting to a place now where I don't mind it so much. This is good because the men in my life adore the handknit socks I make for them so much that they are already putting in orders for NEXT Christmas (Three pair so far). And of course they all want socks with 12" legs. That's a LOT of K2, P2! I've been toying with the idea of trying a different sort of pattern to make things more interesting, so what perfect timing! Warmest wishes for a very merry Christmas season and no dropped stitches in the new year!
Connie@5 wrote
on Dec 20, 2008 8:01 AM
Sandi and Interweave crew... Many Thanks for the sock patterns. There is something magical about creating something from a "piece of string" and after I knit my first pair of socks I was "hooked"...or "needled"... Merry Christmas and a very Blessed New Year to all...
koleraba wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 3:43 PM
Very cheerful sock video - thanks! And many more thanks for sock patterns ebook! That deserves a very very BIG: MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! But, I have one little remark: one of the patterns (blue-toned yarn) looks like Marina Piccola sock pattern by Kate Gilbert, but I see she is not among the contributors to the book. How can patterns be so alike? Best regards.
knitliesl wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 3:05 PM
Thank you sooo much for the patterns. I believe this may just be my favorite present this Christmas. BTW, I love your new hair cut! Merry Christmas and Happy Knitting to all.
RebeccaA wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 11:22 AM
Dear Sandi: Thank you very much for the free ebook. I am an inveterate sock knitter, and I never have too many patterns. I am looking forward to trying these lovely designs out. Wishing you and yours a very blessed Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year!
LynnClair wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:28 AM
Many thanks for your generosity! After a long brain-busting knit, I always cast on a lovely pair of socks. It's like a reward for myself. I will enjoy these great patterns.
YvonneM wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:10 AM
Thank you so much! They are lovely patterns - I appreciate the variety! Right now I'm up to my eyeballs in Christmas projects but I look forward to casting on - think I'll do the Caspian Sea Socks first. :-)))))
slgjeg4 wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:05 AM
Sandi and Interweave Staff: Thank you. It was very nice of you to do this. Jean
CarleenF wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 9:03 AM
Sandi: I want to say THANK YOU for the Christmas gift of an ebook of socks. I to am an avid sock knitter. Although no one in my family likes homemade knitted socks except me. So for once I get to make something for myself. It seems that everytime that I start a sweater or something else for myself one of my daughters or my granddaughter says gee that is pretty. Who is that for? and of course the answer is "well you if you want if". There never seems to be any denial about them wanting it. So I usually lose out. Although I am pretty happy that they still want me to make them things.So like the good knitter that I am I make it for them. Now I have a neighbor that knits who sells things at her work. The money is then donated to a fund that they have for other employees in need. She has had some special orders for socks, scarves, fingerless mitts, etc. So now I am involved with making these items. In years past I have sold a few pairs of socks but there was no money exchanged. The payment was another skein/hank of yarn to replace the one that I used. Works great. I guess I have rambled long enough. Again Sandi "THANK YOU FOR THE EBOOK " it will be used a lot i'm sure. Carleen in Allegan, Michigan
dixdizzy wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 8:44 AM
Sandi, I want to thank you so much. I asked for sock yarn for Christmas and this will give me some wonderful choices for projects. Also, I love your new haircut and picture. Rachel
klanstey wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 8:41 AM
Thank-you so much! I love making socks because they are quick and easy and because I often buy one just skein of yarn that catches my eye (and fingers!) I justify my buy by telling myself, "I'll make socks."
SusanB@8 wrote
on Dec 19, 2008 8:28 AM
I have so many of your patterns that I cannot find the time to knit (work - full time, y'know!)... But I have a stash of sock yarn (Harry Potter, to beat - just like the Hogwarts house elves) that "needs" inspiration, and I think you just provided it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!