The Very First Free Patterns of 2009

Jan 2, 2009

Happy New Year From Knitting Daily!

Let's start the new year off right!
Free patterns are always fun, don't you think? And there are tons of free patterns over on our sister site, KnittingDailyTV.com--and even better, your Knitting Daily password and login works over there, too!

So let's pick a 2009 free pattern from Knitting Daily TV then. Here's a new favorite of mine, a beautiful cabled sweater called the Shauna Sweater, knitted out of machine washable merino wool: Download the Shauna Sweater.

Hm. That doesn't seem like quite enough celebration for a year that promises to be as wonderful as 2009 promises to be. I'm feeling much more festive than that! So how about another free pattern? This one is a cute little lacy beret that is easy enough for a first-time lace knitter: Download the Swirl Beret.

Or what if you want to knit something for someone manly? Here's an easy no-roll scarf for someone cute and hunky: The St. Petersburg Scarf.

Oh, wait, those are both knitting patterns. How about a free crochet pattern? Or, how about two? The Re-Mix T-Shirt, is a nifty crocheted embellishment for dressing up plain, ordinary tee shirts so that they aren't so plain and ordinary anymore. Then the Ribbon Bolero is a fun shrug (or is it a little jacket?) done out of pretty ribbon yarns.

OK, I can't resist. One more crochet project, a lacy wrap called Maggie's Wrap.

But what if you love felting? I don't want to leave out the felters. Here's a simple knitted bag to toss in your washing machine and felt to your heart's content: Vermont Felted Bag.

And, because it is still party season, last but not least, a pretty embellished knitted pullover made out of some very fabulous yarn.

Whew! This is fun. But I gotta stop somewhere; can't go TOO crazy here. The ones above are just a sampling, patterns I thought would help us all start off the new year with our crafty little hands all ready to go!

If you like what you see--or if you don't see something you like here--go take a look at the many wonderful free patterns available to Knitting Daily members on the Knitting Daily TV site. Browse through the individual episode listings to find the download links!

Grab your needles or pick up your hook, settle in with some irresistible yarn, and let's ring in the New Year in proper crafty style!

-- Sandi

Be the first to order the second series of Knitting Daily TV!

Loved the first season? There's more ahead in the all-new second season of Knitting Daily TV: Series 200. More step-by-step video technique tutorials, more interiews with your favorite designers, and more gorgeous yarns!

Pre-order Series 200 now and it will be shipped the third week in January.

When does the second series start to air on TV? January 18, 2009--so mark your calendars, set your video recorders, and get your needles ready!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Did I finish my mom's Leaf and Nupp Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush? I don't know. I'm writing this ahead of time so I can have Christmas off.  All will be revealed sometime early in Janaury 2009, I promise...

Comments

IngridO wrote
on Jun 23, 2009 12:44 AM

hello! iwas amaze by the pattern! the problem is i dont know how to fallow the instruction! pls. help mw! tnx

molly z. wrote
on Jan 18, 2009 5:41 AM
I love it when you give free patterns BUT - as with a lot of others - WHERE ARE THE PICS? AND I really do not enjoy having to search thru a lot of text on several pages to fnd the link for a patter - by the time I'm done I've opened several new windows and then there is no pic, so I just close them all. If you are going to do free patterns this way from now on, I wil certainly pass on the rig-a-ma-role.
carmel71 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 3:45 PM
After thoroughly studying every page, I found alot of things that sparked my creativity. Thank you so much.
LisaB@9 wrote
on Jan 5, 2009 12:14 AM
Love the Maggie Wrap, but am like JenniferM, can't quite work out the joining bit. Can we have some clearer explanations for joining, or a legend? Thanks for keeping my insatiable appetite for this craft of ours satisfied. Lisa
SuzanneW wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 5:40 PM
Not able to download these patterns. Have had no problem in the past. Can you help me? Thank you very much.
SharonR@2 wrote
on Jan 4, 2009 12:20 PM
would really like pic of patterns.-really necessary in this economy
kknit wrote
on Jan 3, 2009 9:47 AM
I had a few problems downloading, but waited and tried again. But they don't have photos of the projects so I won't attempt. I need close up photos of the projects!
on Jan 2, 2009 7:26 PM
Can't seem to access any of the free downloads. Anyone else having this problem? Charlene in Hood River, Or.
SharonR wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 2:20 PM
Thanks, Sandi, I really appreciate the patterns! Looking forward to seeing the pics! :)
bfrg wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 1:52 PM
Pictures, pictures, pictures!!! Close-ups of the projects, not wide-angle pictures of the people and the room, before downloading, then pictures in the downloads of each project. The ones that have pictures are great -- keepers! Thanks
RebeccaG wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 11:07 AM
Oh, this is wonderful! I can't wait to watch the TV episodes. I'm sure there are examples of the projects there? I downloaded all of them so when I watch the videos I can just delete the ones I don't care for. Happy New Year, Sandi.
Grendlftz44 wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 9:55 AM
I really like the Shauna sweater, however, I live in Florida and do not use long sleeved pullovers very often. I would love to find a similar sweater knit as a cardigan. I love the small cables. I haven't downloaded the directions but believe it is worked in sport or fingering weight yarn which would be perfect (for a cardigan) in Northern Florida. Thanks, Again. And, yes, please show pictures of the patterns. If not in the e-mail, on your site.
BarbaraR wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 9:25 AM
Happy New Year Sandi and Beautiful Staff You are all so giving and what a gracious way to start the New Year! Thanks for all the freebees and advice. I can not wait until this holiday hub bub slows down, altho i love having this family company, so that I can knit for the baby preemies and myself Have a Peaceful and Joyous New Year Gratefully Barbara Rose
Kiirs wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 8:39 AM
Thanks so much for the free patterns! But I echo the others...I will never, ever even think about beginning a new pattern if there are no pictures. The pictures are what tempt and tantalize me and keep at my mind for weeks, whispering "You know you want to make me" until I give in and do. Maybe you could talk to Fiesta and tell them we all need to see pictures??
DianeG@2 wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 7:41 AM
i agree with janie m., where are the pictures? I would love to see what i am about to attempt, and see if i come close to the picture when i am done. thanks, diane in pville
Shar T8z wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 7:03 AM
Aaarrgggh! Sandi - we love when you send out free patterns, but all those Fiesta patterns with no pictures are driving me crazy! The Shauna Sweater is lovely and does have a pic, but all the others are lacking the pictures. Please - don't hold out carrots for us if we can't ever see them. Thanks. Sharyn in Reading, MA
Eileen wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 6:21 AM
The Shauna Sweater mentions 3 different size needles but fails to say which size to use for various parts. My conversion chart for the metric sizes given are thus: 2.0 mm = US size 0 3.0 mm = US size 2 3.75 mm = US 5 I assume the body of the garment is done on a size 5 needle, the ribbing on size 2 and finishings on size 0. Is this correct?
Eileen wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 6:18 AM
Love the Shauna Sweater, especially in blue, a welcome relief from dark Winter colors and I adore cable patterns. The neckline wouldn't work for me but a regular neckline would be lovely. In reviewing the pattern instructions, it was not mentioned which size needle to start the back with. There are 3 needle sizes mentioned: size 2.0 (US size 0-yikes!), size 3.0 (US size 2) and size 3.75 (US 5). I assume the body of the sweater is done on US 5, the ribbing on US2 and the finishing on US 0. Is this correct?
JanieM wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 6:04 AM
What the heck! There are no pictures of half of the free patterns. Very disappointing. Noone is going to waste yarn and time knitting something that they have no idea what it looks like. I would rather purchase a pattern that I like with a picture than get a freebie without one. Thanks though - but pictures are the key
JenniferM@4 wrote
on Jan 2, 2009 5:45 AM
I love the look of the Maggie Wrap - but can't decipher the symbols in the 'blueprint'. Are there written out instructions? Or at least a legend for us uninitiated to this format?