Which Free Patterns Were Your Favorites Last Year?

Jan 7, 2009

On Monday, I gave you a list of the top posts of 2008...but what about the top patterns of 2008? Which patterns did you love the most?

Top 5 Most Downloaded Free Patterns of 2008

Number One: For the second year in a row, Mags Kandis' colorful Modern Quilt Wrap was our top Knitting Daily free download.

And no wonder! The colors are rich and oh-so-adaptable to your own personal palette; the knitting is easy; and the result is a work of art to wrap around your shoulders.

This has become such a reader favorite that we asked selected bloggers to send in their versions so we could feature them on Knitting Daily TV

Watch the video clip and see these lovely variations for yourself.

Number Two: You people have exquisite taste! The second most popular free download was Nancy Bush's stunning Estonian Lace Scarf, originally published in Interweave Knits.

Although the pattern was a free pattern for only one month, it broke all kinds of download records. But no worries: The pattern is now available in our online store

Read about Nancy's own thoughts on this scarf--including what she would do differently now.

Number Three: The post about this pattern--the Old World Booties by Gryphon Perkins--was the top post of 2008--but in a moment of silliness, someone (ahem) forgot to update the link in the post before sending out Monday's email! My apologies.

The pattern was free for a limited time; it is now available in our online store.

Number Four: Ribbed Scarf by Ann Budd. This scarf is modeled after one pictured in Volume 6 of Weldon's Practical Needlework.

The scarf is knitted in an easy rib pattern, with a simple but lovely crochet edging. I have the original scarf used for the photo session, and it is a daily favorite!

Number Five: Seafoam Towels by Ann Budd.

Who wouldn't love a set of handknit hand towels? Simple to make, these are a lovely gift for anyone, anytime. Plus--they are machine washable and dryable. Good stuff, all 'round.

There's many more wonderful free patterns in the Knitting Daily Free Pattern Library--go have a look and see if you find your next knitting (or crochet!) project there!

Enjoy these first wonderful days of the new year!

-- Sandi

Soon to Be a Winter Wardrobe Favorite: Knitted Jackets by Cheryl Oberle

Baby, it's COLD outside! As I am writing this, the temperature is 12 degrees Fahrenheit here in Canada where I live; it is 30 degrees Fahrenheit in Loveland, Colorado, where the main Interweave offices are. My town is buried under a foot of blowing snow (I'm beginning to understand the entire reasoning behind having a snowblower oh-so-much-more-clearly now!). And I'm dreaming of warm things, lovely, lovely knitted warm things...

What could be nicer than a handknit jacket this time of year? A book chock-full of patterns for gorgeous hand-knitted jackets, that's what, which is exactly what we have for you this winter: Cheryl Oberle's Knitted Jackets. I'm already in love with the Northwest Celtic Jacket pictured here; there are twenty patterns in this beautifully photographed book for everything from lace wraps to simple coats to warm you against the chill.

Now all I have to do is figure out if I have the time to knit that beautiful Celtic jacket...Ah, well. It's good for knitters to have patterns that inspire our dreams of yarn and long evenings by the fire with our favorite projects in hand.

Look Inside Knitted Jackets: 20 Designs from Classic to Contemporary

Look for Knitted Jackets at your local yarn shop; or buy it online from us.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I finished it! I finished my mom's Leaf and Nupp Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush--but alas, not in time for it to go under her Christmas tree. By the time it was all blocked and dried, it was New Year's Eve...so now I have to take a few zillion photos and then I will mail it off to her. I'll only keep it for a little while longer, Mom...

Comments

BettyB wrote
on Jan 14, 2009 7:49 AM
i loved old world booties, your scarves, fingerless gloves, earflap hats. Betty/ shefford quebec
wilma@2 wrote
on Jan 11, 2009 10:59 AM
Hi Sandi, I'm new to knitting and new to Knitting Daily. I am looking for a pattern for what was referred to as a "half sweater".. can anyone help me out with this. Thanks, Wilma
Lisa234519 wrote
on Jan 8, 2009 5:33 PM
Hi, Sandi, This is off topic; sorry. I fell in love with the ThreePenny Pullover in IK Fall 04 and am finally getting around to planning it out. Since it is worked with double-stranded Lana Gatto VIP, which I can't afford, can I substitute a single-strand of worsted weight as long as it is has a soft hand? It gets confusing, with gauge and yardage and needle sizes. Thanks. LisaD
BirgittaV wrote
on Jan 8, 2009 5:11 AM
When I now saw Northwest Celtic jacket said I just WOW because I just love Celtic motives and would even like to have Celtic motives as tattooes! From Birgitta Virtanen, Sweden
MaryG@2 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 9:03 PM
My favorites are Feminine mittens and Nickolas' Fingerless gloves. I made them for Christmas gifts, (the notion brought on by an early ,cold winter), and they were very much appreciated. Another one from a year ago was the Pinecone Scarf. Nice pattern. Thank you for so many lovely , fun patterns.
GaylaG wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 7:01 PM
Unfortunately, I often do NOT download the free patterns because I find the download process frustrating. I do not understand why Interweave requires my password for the knitting (and beading) free pattern downloads. Email address is fine but, unless I'm trying to do something that requires access to my person account information, adding unnecessary restrictions to accessing a free pattern deters me. I can never remember my password, and I don't think it's a good idea to keep a file of my passwords since I'm a previous victim of internet fraud, so I always have to have the password emailed to me. Since I use a dial-up connection, adding this to an already slow process just makes it not worth it. I realize that most folks probably don't share my frustration but I bet there are some who do.
GillianV wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 4:24 PM
The Modern Quilt Wrap is what I'm going to tackle. I've got yarn in my stash, and I'm going to fidget the gauge a bit because they aren't all the same. It won't be identical to the picture, but I'm certainly looking forward to it. It will probably be my background knitting for a good part of the year.
Ellen wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 4:16 PM
I would love to try some of your fantastic patterns BUT my Adobe reader says they are unable to open your files due to something left out in your download. Could that be true? Could you help me find a way to do some downloading?
zooshane wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 3:35 PM
This seems like a dirty double cross to me. You dangle all these patterns that WERE free with the word free all over the place and then we find that we can only buy them. Come on. Surely at the prices Internet charges for their magazines, you can toss us a scrap and offer these patterns for free--especially as you ask people to take their time and comment on them. This would create some goodwill. In these tough times, I decided that Interweave publications are not the best buy for my money and I can do without. Free patterns keep people engaged in the craft and that is what you want.
grandmapatw wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 2:22 PM
I'm new to the site but I love them all. Don't think I'd try the intricate lace but I really love the knitted towels. Can you suggest a source for cotton chenille. I see rayon chenille a lot but it doesn't last.
RebeccaD@3 wrote
on Jan 7, 2009 2:11 PM
I loved the Ribbed Scarf (all the other patterns too, for that matter). Is there any chance of getting a pattern for an all-crochet version? Please?
on Jan 7, 2009 2:05 PM
I have had several favorites but my very favorite was the Summer Shawlette. I knitted it for my grandsons girlfriend who lost her legs and arms to malaria last February. I thought she would like to have it around her shoulders when it was a little chilly. She, Dawn, used it a great deal until it got too cold. They live in Chicago. Dawn loved it and it was fun to work it up knowing who would be the one to receive it. Trish Armstrong