Fearlessly Inspiring Stories--From YOU!

Jan 9, 2009

I just finished reading the 406 comments that you left on the last post of 2008, in which you answered the question "How were you a fearless knitter in 2008?"

I love you people. I love you because your comments were so amazing that even though I thought I was going to just skim them (there were over 400 of them, after all), I did no such thing. I read every single word of every single one.

And you are all my heroes.

I know not everyone has the time to read 406 comments, and I wanted you all to have the chance to be inspired by your fellow Knitting Daily folks, so here are just a few, a very few, of the wonderful ways in which you were ALL fearless knitters last year.

ChelseaN: "I'm really proud of myself, because this year I went up and beyond what I've ever done, by making a huge coat out of a whole sheep fleece I washed, carded, spun, and crocheted. Now, it had it's problems, but it's the most beautiful thing I've ever laid eyes on, and it's a treasure in my wardrobe."

LauraK: "I've set out to try learn at least one new thing about knitting (or crocheting) a month. It is rewarding."

Astrid: "I finally had the courage to enter something in a fair. I entered five items in the Blue Hill, Maine Fair. AND, with the most amazing beginner's luck, I won five blue ribbons!!!"

NiferR: "I started knitting this year!! My first project was a pair of socks. Then I ventured to an entralec sweater. It took 1st at the county fair."

LauraM: "I became a fearless CROCHETER!"

AnneN: "Fearless Frogging. When I have a sneaking suspicion things are not going right, but I don't want to frog all that work (all those hours!), I'm learning to Fear Not the Frogging and just do it. I'm always happier afterwards."

And finally, a few very special people whose stories remind us that knitting is sometimes far more than just a craft...it is a way to find hope and strength in the darkness:

Marilyn1423: "2007 was a year of adjustment for me. In January 2007 I lost my left eye to cancer. By January of 2008 I was feeling very, very blue. I felt that my life had become more and more limited because of the vision problems. I had not knit anything in years, but in January 2008 I finally worked up the courage to pick up some needles and see if I could actually knit again. Here it is a year later, and I have actually started and finished 22 knitted projects. Am I a fearless knitter? Yes! Yes! Yes! My mental and emotional outlook is so much better today than it was a year ago. I have lots of projects planned for 2009."

SusanP: "Hi, my friend Jon and I took fearless knitting to the next level when we walked 26 miles of The Playtex Moonwalk, in aid of breast cancer, whilst wearing embellished bras and knitting socks!"

KarenR: "I started the year tackling fingerless gloves. I thought I would move on to mittens and then socks. Never got there. I developed cancer and worked on a wedding afghan for my son during chemo. I finished it just after finishing the chemo and gave it to them only a short time after surgery at their wedding. For me I conquered the fear of not surviving long enough to finish it and I'm still alive."

So, what's ahead for 2009? Let's hear what you had to say:

Kathi: "I'm excited, because now, I CAN DO ANYTHING!!!"

KHS: "Biggest surprise? The great community of knitters on the internet. Truly a joy."

Hobobird: "Knitting Daily had created a fiber monster in me. A good one indeed."

Joy: "So the goal for 2009? Finish my projects and continue to learn new things!! Happy New Year to all!! And happy knitting!"

Happy Knitting to all, indeed.

Thank you all for inspiring ME, and I'm honored to be able to share in your crafty lives on Knitting Daily every day.

-- Sandi

P.S. Do you want a Knitting Daily Fearless Knitter/Crocheter button for your blog? Sure you do!

New Free Pattern: Baby's First Socks

After the huge response that the Old World Booties got this week, I kind of got the idea that you folks like to knit baby booties. And while I don't have another pattern for knitted baby booties handy, I do have a pattern for a very special pair of baby socks: Baby's First Socks by Ann Budd. Aren't they cute? Plus, the pattern's free. (You're welcome.)

Cool Knitting Daily Stuff! Now with new designs and crunchier flavor!

Did you know you can buy Fearless Knitter/Fearless Crocheter tote bags, tee shirts, mugs and other nifty things in our Knitting Daily Cafe Press store? Yup. We have graphics with all kinds of variations on the Fearless theme, ready for you to display with pride!

Go take a look. (You know you want to.) And the Fearless Yarn Collector goodies are now here, too!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I finished it! I finished my mom's Leaf and Nupp Shawl from Knitted Lace of Estonia by Nancy Bush--but alas, not in time for it to go under her Christmas tree. By the time it was all blocked and dried, it was New Year's Eve...so now I have to take a few zillion photos and then I will mail it off to her. I'll only keep it for a little while longer, Mom...

Comments

hakgem wrote
on Jun 20, 2009 3:00 PM

Hi Sandi!  I am new to knitting (about four months knitting now) so I am sorry to say I am not fearless, but I am addicted and determined to get better.  I was wondering if you knew if there were any books out there combining bible study and knitting.  (I don't mean to offend in any way, but I am part of a mom's group at church and a few of us knit and/or crochet.  We are interested in having our group meet over the summer and do a "Warm Up America" project or "Project Linus" and wanted to work in a bible study/devotional as well)  Thanks!  Holly

DeborahS@2 wrote
on Jan 17, 2009 8:33 AM
A firend sent me the link given below, about a knitted brain!!! That is surely fearless knitting. Depending on your email program, you may be able to click on the link in the email. Alternatively, you may have to open a web browser, such as Firefox or Internet Explorer, and copy the link over into the address bar. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/4245919/Psychiatrist-knits-anatomically-correct-woolly-brain.html For the best content online, visit www.telegraph.co.uk
on Jan 13, 2009 12:59 PM
Dear Knitting Daily, I enjoy all the email newsletters that you send, also the magazines that I subscribe to. My question is: "Where has Knitting Daily TV gone to? Knitting Daily TV was so well done, informative, and educational. I hope you will come back. I have Direct TV and was only able to see you for seven shows on channel 24, KLCS. You are a wonderful place to go for inspriration, peace, what is new or tradition, and how-to-do-it. The patterns are georgous and fun. Your like a good friend who comes by. Thanks again, Linie
ELENAM@2 wrote
on Jan 12, 2009 9:10 AM
After readind all of these I now want .........no NEED to read the fearless knitter stories! Where can I get them? Elena
MyraJ wrote
on Jan 11, 2009 5:25 AM
I am humbled by these comments by people knitting fearlessly. I am inspired to knit not whine in 2009.
HelenKO wrote
on Jan 10, 2009 5:55 PM
I think I will go back and read all of the comments. Thank you so much for sharing these! Yarnies of all kinds are such wonderful people - I feel honored to be a part of this amazing, international FEARLESS group! My only unhappiness is that yarnies in generations past were not able to take part in this happy conglomeration because the technology/opportunity was not available. One of my hopes in 2009 is that this yarnie group will grow to include many more friends in other parts of the world.....wouldn't it be wonderful to have an influx of knitting enthusiasts from Mumbai? The newly crochet-crazy from Ulaan Bataar? Spinners from Addis Ababa? Well, I think so. :o)
M.M wrote
on Jan 10, 2009 6:16 AM
To KarenR & GinnyC: You are not only fearless knitters, but fearless women! Thank you for sharing your stories. You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Happy 2009! Marie
GinnyC wrote
on Jan 10, 2009 6:08 AM
Just want you to know that knowledge of knitting dies hard. I had a stroke in Nov. and I am 81 which can be a challenge to quick recovery but since leaving the rehab unit, I have completed two pairs of sox. Hurray! Ginny from Vermont.
Kddeb wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 9:43 PM
Sandi, thank you for the Baby's First Sock. My second grandchild will be born in August, and I hope to have several pair made for her. I have a form of math dyslexia, see numbers strangely, etc., but never have any problems figuring out Ann Budds' directions. Knitting Daily is one of my favorite sites to help me grow as a knitter.
Elizabeth wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 8:33 PM
to Marilyn 1423: My husband lost an eye as a young boy 50 years ago and has lead a happy, normal life. I hope you will be cancer free and also be able to return to a normal, happy life.
SusanM@3 wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 3:22 PM
Hi Sandi, I am a new blogger. I hadn't considered myself a Fearless Knitter until I read your comments and the blogs you highlighted today. I knew I was knitting as a way to manage my life change following the death of my husband in February, 2008, due to cancer, but it has only been recently that I have realized I must knit to keep myself healthy. I have been a life long knitter when I could fit it in. Now it's my job, so to categorize it. I love knitting. I love the feel of the yarn in my fingers and the process calms me. I have given myself permission to knit as much as it takes to feel well. Thank you for your web site. I feel like I belong. Susan McP.
LindaB wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 1:27 PM
I am so impressed with Sandi - that smile - that personality - her upbeat attitude - she is a joy to "read". I am not sure how she got this job, but it was an outstanding choice. She is someone that we all wish lived next door. I am becoming a fearless spinner. I bought a new wheel and found a wonderful "mentor" and I am off and running. Keep up the good work Sandi, you are a "fearless inspiration"! Linda B.
SunflowerGal wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 12:43 PM
Wow, there were some really inspiring stories! Thank you for sharing them. I was a fearless crocheter who learned to knit this past year. Both crafts offered comfort and support as I faced many trials. I had a miscarriage, had a 2nd and 3rd surgery, and had a close relative pass. Instead of fretting or worrying, I took to my work and watched it turn into baby hats, blankets, sweaters and other gifts. What a rewarding pastime.
M.fielding wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 12:41 PM
The stories you have published are very inspiring. I too understand how our love of the fibres and yarns can help us get through the bad things that happen. I lost a son last year in a tragic accident, and when I needed "time out" I got on the internet and indulged in my passion for yarns, and design inspiration. I do not know how many hours I spent in this way, but I was able to switch off during those times and a year later I am still standing. And I now have an amazing stash!
PamD wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 12:23 PM
At 76, and after many tries at knitting sweaters (2 sleeves) and using sewing machines (2 sleeves ANYTIME), I decided I didn't like to make TWO of anything. So if you know of a one-legged person, I'll be glad to make a sock for them! M.M.
CamilleA wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 12:07 PM
Fearless? I'm not so sure. this quarter I was asked to teach Fiber Arts to 7th and 8th graders. I usually get about 10 kids who want to be in this class, this quarter I had 28 sign up. so far, most of them have learned to do a decent garter stitch and how not to get impaled on the needles, several made gifts for parents (one girl made a scarf for Grandpa with her first knitting! a boy made a dog sweater for his mom) this class is my last period of the day, and by the time the day is over I'm exhausted! I finally decided to go ahead and start them on sewing Teddy Bears for a final project! needles, thread, fabric, scissors and 13 year olds are a bizarre mix! I did finish a cabled fisherman's sweater for my grandson and socks for me.
Ladyvknits wrote
on Jan 9, 2009 12:06 PM
Hi Sandi, I consider myself a fearless knitter. I always like to challenge myself with each project. Last year I started spinning my own yarn with a spindle. I spun enough to knit a basic vest with steeks, for my then 3year old daughter. For 2008: The next challenge that I wanted to take on was designing a sweater with more than the basic features. I started working on planning for the sweater and did all the measurements and schematics for the sweater before I started knitting it. This is a fitted tunic length cardigan for my 10 year old daughter. I started knitting it just before Thanksgiving and I am working on the sleeves now. It has been knit in the round with steeks. My next challenge is to get this design published. Some of the people I have showed it to, really like it. Wish me luck.