Preview Time! Knitscene Winter 2008/Spring 2009

Jan 26, 2009

Note from Sandi: Ever met a knitter who just made you want to stare at her hands as her needles flew along? That's how I felt the first time I saw Lisa Shroyer, the editor of Knitscene magazine, knit. She's a thrower, she does amazing colorwork, and she's wicked fast with the needles. Lisa knits more stitches in a day than I knit in a week!

All that knitting seems to have given Lisa an deep affinity for what knit and purl stitches can do--she seems to have a homing instinct when it comes to finding great designs. Lucky us!

For example: See that pretty rainbow yoked sweater by Carol Sulcoski? Looks like a lot of stripes and ends to weave in, right? Nope. That's Noro Kureyon, a variegated yarn, and the colors change all by themselves. Clever--and Lisa chose it for one of the designs in the new Winter 2008/Spring 2009 issue of Knitscene magazine.

Here's Lisa to tell you more of what's in the new issue of Knitscene:

It's a new issue of Knitscene!

Knitscene is a special issue that comes out twice a year. We feature simple, stylish, and free-spirited designs that will appeal to a wide range of knitters. Most of the projects in Knitscene are easy to make, falling in the easy and advanced easy categories. If you want a quick-to-knit sweater with a hip silhouette, Knitscene is the magazine for you!

In this issue, we explore:

• The classic combo of sweaters and denim—these designs look great with jeans
  • Whimsical knits for spring—luscious fibers, modern shapes, girly details
  • Rustic yarns and great outerwear pieces
  • Chunky yarns for fast (and economical!) accessories
  • Crochet accessories that feature a bit of knitting for the multi-crafter
  • The art of spinning with a drop spindle
  • Buttonholes and how to plan your buttonbands
  • The knitting world of designer Cathy Carron, with 4 new designs by Cathy
  • How to incorporate one vest project into your wardrobe to make 3 different fashion statements

I hope you enjoy this issue of Knitscene as much as I enjoyed working on it. Check out the preview and let us know what you think of the designs.

On Wednesday, we'll look in depth at the fabulous Orchid Wrap by Cecily Glowik MacDonald and talk about…entrelac!

-- Lisa Shroyer
editor of Knitscene magazine

Here is what designers are saying about Knitscene:

Designing for Knitscene is an absolute pleasure. The projects are accessible and fun at the same time. Forever Tweed, for example, is one of those sweaters a newbie can knit with ease, and a fun project for more experienced knitters looking for a quick, stylish sweater project!
—Wendy Bernard

I’ve always loved the way Knitscene features projects that are easy to knit but don’t necessarily look it! (And of course the fact that the photographs are shot in the Philadelphia area, where I live, is an extra bonus. Go Eagles!)
—Carol J. Sulcoski
(author of Knit So Fine and Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn)

I love the challenge of creating a fun project that is interesting, and yet, easy. Most of my projects tend to become advanced because I cannot stop myself from throwing in one or two more techniques, and with Knitscene I like the challenge to edit myself to keep the projects easy. For me, there is nothing more fun then working up a project that at heart is easy, and turns into a knock-out.
—Robyn Chachula (author of Blueprint Crochet: Modern Designs for the Visual Crocheter)

Ask for Knitscene at your local yarn shop, or buy it online from us.

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Still on the sleeves for my sister's Central Park Hoodie--working both at once on a long circular needle. (Yes, I did swap out the cable because I'm Just That Way.) But I also must admit to casting on for a warm hat, because it's Canada, and there's all this white stuff outside, and it's actually rather chilly white stuff.

Comments

miukat wrote
on Feb 7, 2009 6:36 AM
Nice patterns, bad styling, unflattering pics. I should be excited to knit this stuff and go yarn shopping after I put this mag down, not convince myself it's a good idea to knit something even though the photos are so bad. Why would I want to wear a belted cocoon over a denim jumpsuit? All the denim had that "Mom Jeans Bought at K-mart" color to them. Please show the pics of the next issue to a few people before printing (and not people who it's their job to tell you they like it.) I really like many of the patterns, but it's super hard to justify why.
Val wrote
on Jan 28, 2009 7:29 AM
Here's a thought: maybe it's a huge April Fool's joke. You know, getting some buzz stirred up about the big Spring issue. Imagine the editors and designers sitting around pulling together the most awful things they could come up with. The word spreads about the garments and appalled comments and website visits go insane. Then our comments and the joke designs will be included in the first pages of the new issue. Now that would be funny.
SusanJ@2 wrote
on Jan 28, 2009 5:42 AM
I am also one of those people who got dropped from the Knitting Daily emails for no reason on my part. I've tried several times to figure out how to make it come back, without success.
jana@3 wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 1:57 PM
I recently rejoined Knitting Daily, after canceling because I couldn't receive your emails at my old address. However, I'm going to cancel today. When Knitting Daily first launched, the frequent emails contained knitting tips and articles from Sandy, along with patterns. The last 5 emails I have received have all been thinly veiled advertising for this book, that mag, etc - not worth my time. Very disappointing. Let me know when you beef up the content again.
LiisaT wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 1:51 PM
Sorry to be negative, but, these designs don't match up to your usually great designs. Have you been taking notes from Vogue Knitting? I'll be taking a pass at the cornerstore on this issue. Also, where did you find all the starving models? Bring back the size 10 ladies. The worst is the pluie pullover. You've been spoiling us all these years with all those great designs. Thanks, but no thanks.
Sally AnnG wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 11:07 AM
I have not received a daily knit email either. I keep logging in but nothing comes back from you. What have I done to deserve the cold shoulder.
Fliss wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 11:04 AM
I'm so relieved that it's not just me that said "you cannot be serious" when I saw these designs. The Pluie Pullover is a most peculiar shape, the Winsome cardigan is more like a Lose-some and the ribby-yo vest would be great if you were 8 months pregnant but otherwise... Some of the hats are ok and the hermia top is sweet. I don't think it's anything to do with showing the designs on skinny models as someone suggested above - one of the models certainly has a bigger chest measurement than me! I think it's just editors trying to find stuff that is different just for the sake of it (a bit like a few years back when Rowan went weird for a couple of years) No, sorry, this is definitely not one that I'll be buying.
Linda E. wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 8:06 AM
I really loved the Knitscene magazine. So I ordered right away. Gave me lots of ideas for inspiration. I have never been a follow the leader type of person. Most pattern books only go to a size 40 or maybe up to a 44, but most of these patterns go to a size 47 to 54 and I really appreciate that, being a plus, plus person, having rather a large upper torso. Thanks Interweave!
Val wrote
on Jan 27, 2009 6:32 AM
You did request feedback and you are trying to sell us patterns, so I don't feel bad letting you know what I would pay money for, and it's not this. The sweaters are unflattering to the models and unattractive in design and color. I would guess the model for the Pluie sweater wears a B cup at most; that Pluie sweater makes her bust look like it is hanging down to her chunky little waist. The hats make the models look hydrocephalic. The Heather wrap is an ill-conceived, badly executed knock off of an elegant Debbie Bliss design. Shame on the designer. That said, I do appreciate being able to take a look at the magazine, and I thoroughly enjoy Knitting Daily.
MiaM@2 wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 11:21 PM
I like the Carnation tee for the good idea with the different coloured sleeves, and the Stacked Rib Cardigan because it is very nice shaped. Some of the other designs has nice details, but the are bad shaped (in my opinion). Excused me if my spelling isn´t good - I´m danish.
3boobykins wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 6:48 PM
I'm sorry to be negative also, but honestly, these are some of the most unflattering patterns I've ever seen in an Interweave Press publication. Most of them, as other members posted, are baggy and nearly shapeless. I usually pick up the current issue of Knitscene, but won't be doing so this time. On a positive note--There's usually plenty to love in your publications! This one just doesn't do it for me.
AmandaK wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 5:21 PM
P.S. Sorry for typos -- should have proofread. I am a freelance writer by trade so I should know better -- I'm procrastinating here when I have a major deadline! I think knitters got a lot more done before the advent of online knitting sites. this fugly things = these fugly things site call = site called This was the site: http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/ R.I.P. Perhaps someone could revive it? We've got a lot of candidates in this issue!
AmandaK wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 5:12 PM
I really appreciate Knitting Daily, so I feel terrible that my first post is going to be negative but, you asked for feedback, and these patterns are hideous. Ugh. What were the editors thinking?!? The Stacked Rib Cardigan and Audra Crewneck are the only two patterns I wouldn't completely classify as ugly or boring, but I don't like either enough to knit them. The rest are shapeless, dull, and some of the colour combos could only have come about by hiring the colour-blind. Some of the models probably have quite nice figures but they look sloppy and frumpy in those shapeless garments. Last I checked, women's bodies go IN at the waist and OUT at the hips, and this fugly things might as well be burlap sacks on Mr. Potatohead dolls. The designs are all so bad that it is hard to single out one as the worst. First runner up is the Nimbus Wrap. That brown shawl collar is the antithesis of fetching. & I think the winner of the knitting equivalent of a Golden Raspberry (we need a Worst Kntiting Design prize; there used to be a site call "You Knit WHAT?" that catalogued some candidates) is the Heather Wrap. It looks like someone cut some arm holes in an old blanket and belted it on in lieu of a sweater. That thing would not be flattering on anyone. Again, sorry to be so negative, but I am really disappointed.
Lulu5156 wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 4:50 PM
I love your website and want to thank you for giving so many good ideas and showing the newest patterns and I like the free pattern area too. You add so much to the world of knitting and I personally appreciate all your effort. Linda, CraftGossip-felting
Lynn G. wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 4:19 PM
I like the hat patterns very much, but many of the tops are huge and baggy, and they remind me of the 80's when nothing was small or shaped enough to fit me or to flatter most people. It seems that shaping has been sacrificed to keep the patterns simple enough. I also noticed that quite a few of these big tops are not offered in a very small size. I'm not sure that I will invest in the magazine just for the few accessories that are really nice and well-fitted. I think the photography was very well-done, and I appreciated the diversity of the models.
Lana wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 3:25 PM
Love the Stacked Rib Cardigan and the Winsome Cardigan. Very wearable and easily knitable with the larger gauge.
Megalion wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 2:41 PM
I'm a big fan of Knitscene for having great looking designs are special and unique looking. This issue? not so much. Some designs are ok to me but for the most part, I'm shocked at the baggy and shapelessness I see in most of the designs. And the adriane scarf looks like Norah Gaughan's wedge scarf but simply knit in contrasting colors. Maybe it's just the clothes being so big on the skinny models.... hoping that there will be "shown on real women" gallery for this issue. Real women being women of average size, not usually very thin models.
BarbaraL wrote
on Jan 26, 2009 10:21 AM
I have not received a Knitting Daily post since 12/3/08. Can I please be reinstated? Thank you.