Video and Step-by-Step Tutorials: Inserting Thrums

Feb 6, 2009

Now that we know what thrums are, and how to make them, we're ready to insert them into our mittens!

The method is different depending on whether you are crocheting your mittens or knitting them.

Crochet Instructions

Marlaina Bird, the designer of the Thrummed Mittens in the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet, made a handy little video to show you exactly how thrums are done in Crochet Land.

If you have trouble watching the video above, click here to view it.

Knitting Instructions

I, Sandi Wiseheart, she of the cold fingers and mitten lust, have worked up a step-by-step photo tutorial for all you knitting fans out there. The pattern I am using is Jennifer Appleby's Thrummed Mittens pattern from our online store. (Making this tutorial was a good excuse to get started on my own pair of thrummed mittens, since Marlaina's crocheted ones have to be returned now that I've had a chance to study them.)

View my step-by-step photo tutorial

I hope you've enjoyed our week on "stuffed mitten making." I just love reaching inside these mittens and finding lots of tiny little sheep fluffs waiting for my poor cold hands. May your fingers and thumbs never shiver!

-- Sandi

Links to Thrummed Mitten patterns

For knitters:
Thrummed Mittens by Jennifer Appleby
available in the pattern store

Thrummed Mittens by Rita Buchanan
Spin-Off, Winter 2001 (Subscribe here)

For crocheters:
Thrummed Mittens by Marlaina Bird
Interweave Crochet, Winter 2008 (Subscribe here)

This week's free pattern: Mittens Interrupted

Maybe thrums aren't your thing, but you still want a pair of easy, fun-to-make warm mittens. How about this pair by Interweave Knits editor Eunny Jang? With only two pattern rows, a simple slip-stitch pattern, and no hand shaping, you'll be tossing snowballs in no time.

Download Eunny Jang's Mittens Interrupted

Coming Soon—A New Online Community for Spinners!
An Invitation from Amy Clarke Moore, editor of Spin-Off magazine

Hi Knitting Daily—are you a spinner or always dreamed of becoming one? We’re working on the perfect place just for you—the Spin-Off website. We’re totally making it over with reader forums, spinning photos and videos, free how-to articles and projects, and much, much more. Stay tuned—we’ll be sending an invitation to come visit it soon! -- Amy

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I have finished one thrummed mitten! I used Jennifer Appleby's Thrummed Mittens pattern and the magic loop method, and these are the cutest, warmest mittens ever. One down, one more to go...

Comments

NatalieF wrote
on Feb 19, 2009 4:59 PM
How can I learn to add thrums to mittens I have already knit but that need warmth? Thanks!
Shewolf wrote
on Feb 10, 2009 4:54 AM
nukes1- Basically, if you have a purl in the previous row (purl stitch facing you) then you purl, and the same with a knit stitch. Anywhere you do a yarn-over, then next row it is purled.
nukes1 wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 1:32 PM
what does it means when it says purl the purls, knit the knits, and yarn-over are purled
GemaB wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 12:41 PM
Sandi - I want a pair of thrummed socks - wouldn't that be wonderful!
L.R.Cote wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 12:27 PM
Sandi: I want to know how you keep your nails looking SO good! I broke 8 out of 10 last week alone.
on Feb 6, 2009 11:50 AM
This is very different from the thrumming I was taught. But it makes for very colorful mitten and less work than adding in the thrumming when the mitten is complete.
MaryW@2 wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 11:03 AM
I made the thrummed mittens for my boyfriend back when the pattern came out in interweave knits. With his huge hands there were a lot of extra rows added but after a couple of unravels and retries they came out fine. The thrums were a pain to work with (I still find stray thrums floating around occasionally) but I really liked them and wanted to make a pair for myself once I got a few other projects out of the way. Alas, so many patterns and so little time; I haven't made my own pair yet (broke down and bought a pair of down waterproof mittens this winter instead - effective, but not as fun and cute). A container for the thrums (I recommend a ziplock bag) is a must! Another nice thing about this pattern is that if you are awash wtih dog and cat hair like myself (my dog and two cats 'helped' make the mittens by snuggling up close and/or playing with the thrums - another use!) nobody will notice the extra fur int he mittens! :)
AngelaG wrote
on Feb 6, 2009 10:54 AM
I LOVE thrummed mittens. I must confess to being a somewhat reckless knitter - my first non-scarf project was a pair of thrummed mittens on double point needles in the round. I didn't even know what gauge was at that point, so I couldn't even get my hand inside the first mitten, but I did much better with the second. After ripping out and redoing the first mitten I ended up with SUPER warm mittens that have worn like iron. Seriously, everyone can and should be making thrummed mittens.