The Spring Knits Preview is Here!

Feb 11, 2009

Spring Knits

Note from Sandi: Get your needles ready, because it’s time for the Knits Spring 2009 Preview! And here to give us a tour of the new issue is the editor of Interweave Knits herself, Eunny Jang.

Me, I don’t do New Year’s resolutions. Spring seems like a much better time for starting over—for throwing open the windows, for cool salads and sorbets instead of braises and bread puddings, for running and biking instead of curling up by a fire, for cottons and linens instead of alpaca and angora. Everything feels new again, refreshed and ready for action.

With that in mind, we bring you the Spring 2009 issue of Interweave Knits—full of the kind of garments that feel as cool and fresh as a spring breeze. But we also know that everyone’s got their own idea of spring knitting: If spring in your part of the world is still chilly, we’ve got you covered with long-sleeved cardigans (check out the Silk Cocoon Cardigan) and cozy wraps (how about the Sweet Lily Shawl, Float Stole, or the Fountain Pen Shawl?). Maybe you like knitting accessories when the weather warms up: Take a look at Bettie’s Lace Stockings, the Blooming Cotton Scarf, or the Net Duffel Bag. Or maybe spring is a great time to knit some items for men: Jeff’s Pub Sweater and the Sculptured Lace Scarf are both fun choices.

All four of our editorial stories speak to some element we love about spring—Sheer Bliss examines lightweight, cool fabrics; The Florist Knits anticipates blooms; Side by Side puts a fresh spin on old favorites; and Clean and Simple focuses on the pure and unfussy. A variety of silhouettes and techniques speak to all the different ways and things we like to knit, but everything is uncluttered and inventive: just right after the long, cold winter.

Spring KnitsWe’ve also added something new, starting with this spring issue: We’ve added an Online Table of Contents to the magazine to better reflect the way you use the web to find fresh new knitting information and to index great resources. Every issue will have bonus web-only features around techniques, in-depth looks at projects and patterns, behind-the-scenes peeks at photo shoots, and more—for Spring, we’ve styled some of the projects in a variety of different ways to show you how they might fit into any wardrobe. In every issue, you’ll be able to see what we’re planning in the print table of contents, and then find out more online at interweaveknits.com—and as always, we’d love feedback. What kind of bonus features would you like to see on the web? Let us know!

It’s spring! Knit on –and don't forget to check the Interweave Knits site in March for all the wonderful online content listed above.

Eunny Jang
Editor, Interweave Knits

Comments

LouiseA wrote
on Feb 22, 2009 11:00 AM
I'm sorry, folks, the petal halter just keeps reminding me of an elastic bandage (sprained my ankle a while ago, so I'm familiar with the look of a wrapped bandage.) I have to second MarilouM's comment. Guess I will leave this issue on the shelf, and go to the gym instead of knitting, so I can hope to wear some of these type designs and not look bulgy.
Lynn G. wrote
on Feb 16, 2009 3:36 PM
Regarding bonus features: I like this idea very much, when it adds extra info to what is already offered in the magazine, but I do not at all like that the Soap Bubble Wrap pattern is ONLY available online and only for a limited time. I have internet access, but I don't own a printer, and I feel that a magazine subscriber should have printed and easy access to all of the featured patterns in the magazine. I have felt the same way in the past when certain smaller accessory patterns, designed by staff members, were only introduced online, on particular dates, but that was understandable because they were smaller projects and they provided an incentive to keep logging onto your site. Nevertheless, having one of the featured sweaters in the magazine lack the pattern in the magazine's pages is definitely a negative. Even if one is able to download it and save it for later when one might be able to get a friend to print it out, what happens if one's computer crashes and the pattern is lost after the availability-date window. Should a subscriber be expected to pay for the pattern in your pattern store after that point even though she has already paid for the magazine? I hope that you will make the internet "bonus" features truly be "extras" rather than material essential to carrying out the featured patterns in any issue. Thanks.
Val wrote
on Feb 12, 2009 8:18 AM
Nice job! Most of the garments are striking, wearable, beautifully detailed and designed without being over-designed, fussy, or silly. I agree with a previous comment on the petal top: I’d like to see that on a woman size 12 or above. The design is original, fresh, and very pretty, but I have strong doubts as to its wearability. The net duffel bag is really attractive; I want to use that design for a swing cardigan or jacket; I’d make the duffel but I have 3 million duffels already. The elegant details on the Silk Cocoon and Millefiori cardigans make my mouth water, though the closures on the Millefiori look a bit desperate, would probably look better just open. I really want to like the ZickZack tunic; how’d the designer pack so much detail into a garment and keep the clean lines? Beautiful. I just…doubt...it would flatter anybody who isn’t really thin. I am sure I’d enjoy knitting it up for a really thin person to wear, though. You’ve whetted my appetite for this issue, girls, I can feel spring on the way.
Susankoester wrote
on Feb 12, 2009 7:02 AM
The patterns are lovely and perfect for spring and summer. But I'm hungry for some really good jumper-weight fair isle. Eunny - you used to put beautiful patterns on your blog. Can we get some more fair isle luv?!? Maybe for fall? please? And to answer your actual question: I agree with Janetcc - tell us what the designer was thinking and also what you, the editorial staff, loved enough about the pattern to put it in the issue?
Janetcc wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 8:55 PM
RE Bonus Features: Designer notes -- what inspired the designer to make this pattern, use this yarn, why a cardi, or why a pullover, or scarf, or shawl. Thanks Janet C, Orland Park, IL
DeannaH@2 wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 6:34 PM
I have a 10 year old grand daughter that know how to knit but we can't find patterns for her. Every thing is for babies OR adults can you help us in this area? Her sister crochets and the same thing no patterns for a 12 year old and do not know how to resize a pattern from adult to small girl. Thanks Deanna
MarilouM wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 6:25 PM
I must agree with what a few others have said here. I am 59 and definately NOT a size 8. While I am not over-weight or exceptionally large busted, I am short. How about some patterns for us "older, rounder" types who do not want to look like either our grandmothers or our grand-daughters. Thanks for a great web-site though. I love it when you do the galleries to show the sweaters on different body types.
Cfanning wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 6:12 PM
You have done it! I may just have to go buy this issue before it arrives at my home! The lace shawls-with proms coming up! Great job - You ARE the best!
CharleneC wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 5:03 PM
Can't wait for my magazine to arrive. Loved the sneak peek! I have been working on a pattern for a Tee w/o seams. Wouldn't you know-----someone had the same idea! Love it! However, I am noticing (as I was going through some back issues), that the Big Gals aren't being considered in some of the garments...C'mon! We are not all size 0. That average woman is size 14 and up to 18. I spend too much time doing the math for some very basic shapes.
blevine wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 4:55 PM
Although I liked many of the fitted garments, I noticed that very few of them were available in sizes higher than 48"-49" bust. Is there a reason that the big gals are being left out of making some of these very beautiful garments?
RebeccaB@2 wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 4:02 PM
Please consider returning the magazine to the old format which had the pattern and the pictures of the project all together. Vogue Knitting has been annoying knitters for years with what you are doing now. Flipping back and forth in my magazine is not my idea of fun.
JoyceM wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 4:01 PM
I like Interweave but lately I read only the technical articles and study the ads. The majority of the patterns are not for women over 60 who do not wear a size 8. It would be nice to see flattering vests and pullovers that featured interesting stitch work and yarns that are reasonably priced. Joyce M.
AnaG wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 3:45 PM
A bonus feature I'd like for the magazine's companion website is this: If all or part of the pattern in the magazine is charted and not also written out, I'd like to find the complete written instructions on the website.
BellinaB wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 2:19 PM
I just wanted to comment that from all the newsletters I get from all the knitting mags and yarn shops etc. INTERWEAVE IS THE BEST. Always look forward to your articles Sandi!!! thats all I wanted to say Thanks for listening.
purlygirl wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 1:47 PM
If there is a gallery (pretty please??), I hope you will show the petal halter and posy slip modeled. Both are really cool, but I'd be very curious if they'd look as good on other body types that are more like mine? Several great cardis in this issue, too. Cool!
KerryM wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 1:31 PM
The diminishing rib cardy looks gorgeous!
on Feb 11, 2009 1:31 PM
I can't wait for my Spring issue. The preview looks wonderful, there is at least 3 or 4 patterns I want to try. Styles are both new and refreshing and can be warn by any age. I'm 59, but like to keep up with the styles. Thanks for a great magazine. I also like to hear the designer's thoughts on her/his desiqn(s). Thanks again. Linda in Burlington, WI.
MeghanF wrote
on Feb 11, 2009 1:24 PM
wow petal halter!! can't wait!