Let's Hear It For the First Free Pattern of Spring!

Feb 13, 2009

I’m tired of snow. I’m tired of Christmas-card perfect white landscapes, and fleece-lined boots, and enough layers to make everyone look like a herd of Sta-Puft Marshmallow Men.

I want Spring, and I want it NOW. Unfortunately, my weather karma is not powerful enough to change the course of seasons, so it’s still grey outside, and there is still snow on the ground where I live.

However, I do have pretty good knitting karma, if I do say so myself. I can pick up my needles, pull out a charming bit of yarn, and knit myself some serious Spring. And my knitting karma is even good enough that I can help you knit up some Spring, too…

First New Free Pattern of Spring!

Soap Bubble Wrap by Connie Chang Chinchio

from Knits Spring 2009

The minute I saw this pattern, I thought “Winner!” It’s unusually beautiful, one of those sweaters where folks will constantly be asking you where you got it. (“Oh, just a little something I whipped up myself,” you’ll say modestly, eyes lowered so as not to show your glee.)

It’s a wrap sweater, and wrap sweaters are flattering on a wide variety of body types, from slender to fulsome. Sizing a wrap cardi is forgiving, so there aren’t a lot of adjustments to be made. And those lace details! The lace bubbles up (ahem) over shoulder and hip, giving you a bit of sass and curve no matter what shape you are! And the linen yarn means that the fabric will have a luscious sheen, terrific drape, and will become softer every time you wear it. (Note that Louet Euroflax is no longer available in the worsted weight we originally used in this pattern. Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, has this suggestion for yarn substitution: "Try knitting to the same gauge with Euroflax sport weight for a garment with an airy, fluid hand—or substitute a worsted-weight cotton or linen/cotton blend.")

Hey. Where did everyone go? Suddenly, I am talking to an empty room. Everyone has dashed off to their local yarn shop in search of yarn to knit this sweater…

My work here is done. Have a great weekend, everyone. And don't forget to let us know what you're knitting and thinking about!

-- Sandi

Download the free Soap Bubble Wrap pattern.

P.S. Come join me this weekend at the National Knit-Out and Crochet 2009 event! If you happen to be anywhere in the vicinity of the Mall of America on Saturday and Sunday, stop by and watch a demo, see a fashion show, and meet designers, authors, and knitters galore! I’ll be answering questions on an editor/author panel both days at noon in the Staging Area, wrangling pups-in-knits on Saturday at 1 PM, and roaming the crowds in search of interesting people to interview for next week’s posts. Come join the fun!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I cannot tell a lie. There might be the sleeve of a Spring sweater from the new issue that just jumped onto my needles, when I wasn't looking. All I can say is, I read Vicki Square's article in the new Spring Knits called "Start as Many New Projects as You Can," and her last sentence inspired me: "Knit anything and everything you want--and enjoy the scenery!" So I am indulging my knitting habit, and not worrying about whatever the knitting police might have to say about it.

Comments

Dr.M wrote
on Feb 17, 2009 8:24 AM
Thank you for this pattern. It is a lovely sweater. drMolly
PennyT wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 8:17 PM
Why must I go on-line and waste ink and paper for a sweater pattern that should be in the magazine that i've paid for with my subscription? I also find the cumbersome process of having to log in and then hit download at least four times before I actually get to the pdf annoying. Why is the log in necessary if I'm coming from the link in the e-mail that I've subscribed to? Please, can we have a less clunky process? Thanks for opportunity to vent. Penny
Gwen in LA wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 5:07 PM
Please---can we have written instructions, not only a charted pattern? This is so pretty but a chart for the math challenged such as I means it won't be knited :(
MayleneC wrote
on Feb 14, 2009 5:07 PM
Love the bubble wrap and I am really delighted that you design most ladies garments to fit the larger sizes too. Hard to imagine snow when its around 50Celsius and we are surrounded by smoke from bushfires in Australia.
joanmarycp wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 9:10 PM
J.M. re: Let's hear it for the first free pattern of spring! It's gorgeous!! Would love to be at the Knit-Out and Crochet 2009 Event! When are you coming toAustralia????
Deanna@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 4:05 PM
I was looking at the pictures from the Spring Knits...where the heck is my issue!!! What beautiful patterns. Oooooo, those shawls. My knitting needles are waiting impatiently.
Joann@4 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 3:49 PM
This is one of the cutest, most versatile pattern yet ........would still like the instructions for thrums on a printed format...to have by my recliner while I watch TV with my '''honey''' and keep my hands busy.....an instructional video just doesn't work in that setting.....but love the idea of ''lined'' mittens, hats, vests....western Kansas can be windy and cold...and they would sure be cozy.....and yes, loved the soap bubble detail...that could be used in a variety of ways.......love the knitting daily dose...keep up the great newsletter Sandi.....Joann
Elaine cJ wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 3:43 PM
Downloaded the Soap Bubble Wrap sweater and will knit it in some yellow bamboo yarn I bought over a year ago. It's been waiting for the perfect pattern. Right now I'm working on a Rowan Aran Tweed coat, an Aran-type pullover in Paton's yarn, a tank top in Trendsetter's Monet (no longer available), an acrylic baby kimono and cap, a Kaffe Fassett shawl, and a Tonalita self-striping yarn cap for my husband. Then on to a silk jacket and an Ann Norling vest. Can't wait for Stitches 20009!
on Feb 13, 2009 3:38 PM
Am I the only one who's disappointed that the yarn is no longer available for this beautiful pattern? One thing I've learned from Ravelry is that the choice of yarn is key to a garment's success and subtle differences in the yarn chosen can lead to major differences in the finished product, I'm especially reluctant to substitute here, where I'm not accustomed to the brand or to knitting with a linen yarn and the pattern is really complex and clearly dependent on a the right choice of yarn. Eunny's recommendation to substitute a different weight yarn seems pretty risky. Now if Eunny could provide a specific substitute or even a description of what the original yarn is like and what we should look for in a substitute ...
Robing34 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 1:02 PM
Note to April P, if you're going to be in California in September, odds are very good you will not need a sweater or wrap. Especially here in the L.A. area, September is often our hottest month, even at night. Which brings me to my request - more patterns for other fibers than wool or other animal fibers. They're just too warm for us down here, and make me itch! Linen yarn - way cool! Or maybe even a post on swapping fibers. I can think of several lovely sweaters I'd like to make which would be just warm enough for those of us in balmier climes if they were a nice cotton.
cindy50 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 12:07 PM
I had never heard the word "fulsome"......I like it! Much better than the usual descriptions, I am currently trying to knit an afghan. I'm a crocheter and fairly new to knitting, I've made a few small items, so it's going slowly.
Ruth@5 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 9:43 AM
I am currently knitting the lovely sweater on the cover of the last issue of Interweave, but as soon as it's finished this wrap is next. It's beautiful! Your designers are the best , unlike some other knitting mags that feature some really weird designs
AmyS@10 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 9:32 AM
Living in northern KY, we had a "touch" of Spring the last couple of days, including thunderstorm and Temp up to 60! I just wanted to say this sweater is my favorite from your Spring issue and I thought it should have been on the front. I had shoulder surgery, so will have to be patient about trying this gorgeous design! I can't wait!
BiancaJ wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 9:11 AM
Hi Sandi, I feel with you. Today in the morning it snowed here, and not in the nice way, but with a very wet snow, perfect to become ugly fast. But to be fair, in the afternoon the sun came out, that was really nice. I'm looking forward to spring and the warmer days. And the pattern is absolutly beautiful! Best regards and have a nice weekend Bianca
AprilP wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 8:39 AM
HI Sandi-- I love this pattern But I am looking for something a little shorter and maybe somewhat lacier to make to wear to my daughters wedding in california in September..Any suggestions or patterns like that ( not a shawl). Thanks April
SarahR@3 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 8:26 AM
Must make sweater. Must make sweater. Must make sweater. NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
NicoleZ wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 8:21 AM
Sandi, Thank you so much for this lovely pattern. I just got my issue of Spring IK and there are so many project in there that are just crying out for me to make. I am not sure which one to start with. This pattern is definitely on my list. :) Thanks again, Nicole
Nelle wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 8:19 AM
Yea !!!!!!!!!! This is my favorite from the preview of "Knits Spring 2009." Thanks so much for the pattern. I'm off to buy yarn!
LydaS wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 7:27 AM
I love the idea of this sweater, but OMG 9 pages of instructions.... as each page came off my printer I began to have second thoughts,I love knitting but would prefer 3 pages or less of instructions, just call me a wimp.
AudreyD@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 7:14 AM
Regarding being tired of snow: I live in Southern California. We don't get snow, here. But it does look nice on the mountains over by Big Bear. It's raining down here, so we'll be able to breathe the air tomorrow. I download the free patterns when they come in, but I'm still knitting the cabled scarf I started LAST YEAR! It's supposed to be 6ft. long. I'm halfway there. I find it difficult to knit at home because of too many interruptions so if I have to play mom taxi I bring my knitting.
crystalmath wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 7:10 AM
The pattern is gorgeous! I think I'll make it in a yellow. I'm refraining from downloading too many patterns as I'm up to my EARS in knit and crochet patterns and books. I've just finished Ann Budd's Bobble Scarf in a lovely bamboo for my favorite person and I'm creating a matching hat from the same schematic Budd provided for the scarf so they'll match! Next I'm itching to make the beautiful Woven Bands Pullover wool sweater from Interweave Knits Winter 08 for him as well!
SandyO@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 6:59 AM
talking to an empty room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i read everyword of the web site and every word of interweave. i am continually inspired to create another project. especially now, i too am tired of winter and feeling the knitting blahs. thanks for everything you do. sandy o
CaroleG wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 6:33 AM
Hello Sandi, your are not the only one wishing for spring!!! This sweater is just so beautiful, I can't resist adding it to my already to long list of things to do! Thank you!
Debra@2 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 6:33 AM
I love the new Soap Bubble Wrap but could you please just write out the instructions. I really have a hard time counting the charts. I can sit down and write the pattern out, but I'm sure I'm not the only one disapointed it's not writtten out. Thanks if you do.
EssieB wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 6:30 AM
Sandi, I don't need to wonder where everyone went. They read your description of body sizes and went to their dictionaries to see if you really called them repulsive. The two conflicting meanings of "fulsome" are not what you intended, I'm sure.
knitngrammy wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:44 AM
Hey, Sandi, I have to say that this sweater caught my eye, too. And I also was encouraged to "cast on" when ever the creative urge hits, thanks to Vicki Square's article. So glad to hear that I'm among the best in my excesses.
KristinI wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:42 AM
I just want to say that I can't wait to read that article "Start as Many New Projects as You Can"! Right now I am working on a cardigan for myself, a sweater for my husband, a couple of potholders to be felted (I'm new at that!), and in between I am also working on a couple of crochet projects.
ChrisD27 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:37 AM
This looks gorgeous. I'm having a fortnight's holiday son and I'll be buying the yearn before I gp. Guess how I'll spend my relaxing time?
on Feb 13, 2009 5:36 AM
As an English teacher, I can't help but nerdishly point out that "fulsome" means "abundant in amount" in terms of "exceeding the bounds of good taste" or "obsequious." We love full-figured women and don't find them to exceed the bounds of good taste! Thanks for the free pattern!
Lennette wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:16 AM
What a coincidence! When I went to the preview yesterday, this was the sweater that called my name and said "Knit me." Thanks so much for this free pattern.
SarahG wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 5:16 AM
i love this pattern. i'm totally going to knit it. sometime, i don't know when. heh! hopefully rather soon-ish, though.... because, seriously. this thing looks awesome. :D
MelissaC81 wrote
on Feb 13, 2009 4:53 AM
I do really like this pattern! I might actually have to knit it for myself. *gasp!* The thought of knitting something for me?? =)