Knit-Out & Crochet 2009: We Take Over The Mall of America

Feb 18, 2009

The place to be this weekend for knitters and crocheters was the Knit-Out and Crochet 2009 event, put on by the wonderful folks of the Craft Yarn Council of America. I was lucky enough to be there, with thousands of my fellow stitchers, for two exciting days at the Mall of America, in Bloomington, Minnesota.

We ruled the Mall, my friends. Everywhere you went, there were groups of knitters and crocheters, hooks and needles in hand, talking about socks and afghan squares and, of course, yarn, yarn, and more yarn!

I didn't really know what to expect, since this was my first big Knit-Out. I have one word: Wowzer! There were demos on intarsia, joining crochet motifs, and demystifying cables (both knitted and crocheted!), amongst others. There were vendor booths, where you could see (and fondle...) the new yarns, and the new yarn colors, available from many of everyone's favorite yarn companies. There were fashion shows, where we got to see what's ahead from our beloved knitting and crochet magazines, as well as fascinating ways to use all the nifty new yarns we were seeing. And there were prizes, and freebies, and goodie bags galore! Everyone I talked to was thrilled about the free yarn, free patterns, and other surprises that awaited them at the vendor booths. (Thank you, vendors!)

Of course, there was also the chance to hang out with like-minded yarn loving souls everywhere you went.

I also loved hearing about the wonderful work done by Warm Up America, who had tables to collect donated afghan squares, with the best-selling author Debbie Macomber to tell us about her work with this important charity.

I've put together a photo gallery of what I saw there, and on Friday, I'll share some video I took--including interviews with Debbie Macomber and Interweave Crochet designer Edie Eckman--and more.

Enjoy!

Sandi

View the Knit-Out & Crochet 2009 photo gallery

If you crochet afghan squares for charity, or to warm your own loved ones, a great resource is Interweave's handy reference book 200 Crochet Blocks by Jan Eaton.

More than simply a stitch pattern book, 200 Crochet Blocks guides you through color choice, texture and pattern mix-and-match, with clear step-by-step instructions and full-color photos of each block.

I like this book because it starts with the much-beloved granny square and builds on it a bit at a time, giving me new ideas and new designs each time I sit down to crochet!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? I cannot tell a lie. There might be the sleeve of a Spring sweater from the new issue that just jumped onto my needles, when I wasn't looking. All I can say is, I read Vicki Square's article in the new Spring Knits called "Start as Many New Projects as You Can," and her last sentence inspired me: "Knit anything and everything you want--and enjoy the scenery!" So I am indulging my knitting habit, and not worrying about whatever the knitting police might have to say about it.

Comments

onceanddone wrote
on Mar 9, 2009 2:20 PM
I am not receiving my emails from Knitting Daily. The last one I received was on Feb 18
DawnB wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 10:29 AM
do they have anything like that in Western NY? I would love to go! If anyone knows please let me know. Or even Syracuse, NY?
on Feb 20, 2009 11:07 AM
I'm just sorry that I didn't see you there. I recently found the Knitting Daily blog and website and have to say that I really enjoy it. I am learning, after knitting for 32 years, to be a fearless knitter. I'm glad you enjoyed the Knit Out. I did too.
Cissy wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 4:22 PM
Hi Sandi, What great fun! I can't wait to go. It truly says a lot about our fellow crafters when such an event can be had and enjoyed by all. I am truly envious. Those of us who enjoy the yarn arts are always ready and willing to help others in need. We have a prayer shawl ministry at our church and it just keeps growing and going. Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful time. Maybe my sister and I will see you there next year.
HeidiS wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 1:22 PM
I would have loved to have participated in the Knit-Out & Crochet but it seems every year it falls on the same weekend as Scottish Ramble in downtown St. Paul, and I am usually knitting and spinning there. I think I was there one day a few years ago during KO&C but didn't know about it in advance and had my non-knitting husband and no knitting with me. Maybe someday!
jeanne@4 wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 12:08 PM
This event reminded me that Knitting Daily readers might be interested in the amazing response Special Olympics International got when they asked for knitters and crocheters to make scarves for the athletes and volunteers at the Winter Games that just ended in Boise Idaho. They had a goal of 5,000 scarves and received donations of over 55,000 scarves, knit and crocheted by people all over the world. (All using the same type of yarn and and the same colors.) Here's a link to the page about the project. http://www.2009worldgames.org/volunteer/scarf-project My home town of Walla Walla (only 30,000 people) donated 5,009 scarves! It was a heart (and neck!) warming project! If you watched Obama's inaugural parade, the athletes marched, wearing their scarves.
Hjtindall wrote
on Feb 18, 2009 11:34 AM
Thank you for the resume of Knit-Out and Crochet 2009. It brought back wonderful memories of 2008 when I travelled all the way from Shetland, Scotland, as UK Handknitting's representative to take part in the speed knitting competition. I really enjoyed meeting all the enthusiastic knitters and crocheters. Regards Hazel Tindall