Keep Your Knitting Simple (plus a Free Pattern)

Feb 25, 2009

Sometimes we forget: Knitting is supposed to be fun. It's what we choose to do in our free time, it's what we do for ourselves--to calm ourselves, to enjoy the rhythm of stitches, to revel in the feel of yarn slipping through our fingers.

I like to remember this, especially when I'm frustrated and ready to throw a project, needles and all, all the way across the room! (Yes, of course this happens to me too!)

Ann Budd, the editor of Interweave's new book Simple Style, was my officemate for a while, and she used to say to me, "Remember it's only knitting--no one dies, no one's life is at stake." And in this new book devoted to keeping our knitting simple, Ann offers the ABC's of Simple Knitting--I've chosen just a couple of the "alphabet advice" tips to share with you here:

A is for: "Ask for help if you run into problems. Knitting shops are full of kind, helpful people who have a vested interest in your success."

L is for: "Laugh at your mistakes and learn from them."

Q is for: "Quit when you're tired or frustrated with a pattern. Chances are that it won't seem so daunting when you're fresh and rested."

What do you do to help keep your knitting fresh and fun? Share your thoughts with us.

And most importantly: Enjoy your knitting!

-- Sandi

Free Pattern: Twisted-V Pullover

What are your favorite sweaters to wear? Day after day, chances are that you reach for the classic styles, the pullovers and cardigans with simple styling and one or two special details: a great stitch pattern, a pretty yarn. I like those special details, because they set a handknit sweater apart from the ones you buy at the store--can't you always tell when a sweater has been knit by hand?

The Twisted-V Pullover by Alice Halbeisen is one of these soon-to-be-favorites. The twisted ribbing flatters your curves, and the pretty triangular shapes at cuff and bodice are like nothing you'd find in a store. The best of handknit style, straight from the pages of our new book Simple Style--and it's our gift to you!

Download the Twisted-V Pullover for free.

Check Out Knitting Daily TV for more free patterns, and great knitting advice

The Twisted-V Pullover is featured on Episode 204 of Knitting Daily TV: Series 200,  so while you're downloading the pattern, take a peek at what else is in that episode: advice on changing needle size to get gauge; an interview with favorite designer Norah Gaughan, and more!

Find out where Knitting Daily TV is showing in your area.

Purchase Knitting Daily TV: Series 200 on DVD so you have all the episodes to watch any time you wish.

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knit Cardigan Patterns From Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns

Every knitter has dreamed of the perfect cardigan pattern that he or she might knit some day. From a cozy cable knit to luminous lace, this free ebook will be your dream come true. This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans-which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Featured Product

Simple Style 19 Innovative to Traditional Designs with Simple Knitting Techniques

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $24.95

Paperback

Knit simple, beautiful designs with interesting details and silhouettes.

Comments

KimW wrote
on Apr 23, 2009 8:16 AM
Books on tape while I knit "simpler" projects makes me feel efficient, and "the reader" is good company. He doesn't expect me to give long drawn out answers. It is good to have an easy and a complicated going at the same time. I sometimes do squares for Warm Up America, and I use those as stitch samplers--trying out better and different stitch patterns.
on Mar 1, 2009 3:33 PM
I like to get out some of my books and patterns and look them over to get some inspiration and get a diversion from what I am currently doing. This gives me a fresh perspective on my work. Sometimes I opt to finish a garment instead of knitting. Usually when I go back to the knitting and feel refreshed. If I really do not like something I am doing I will frog, if it doesn't seem to be worth my time. If it becomes too tedious or there's no joy in it I let it go. I can't see the point. It's supposed to be enjoyable!
NancyH wrote
on Feb 28, 2009 6:38 PM
I have several projects because I have to knit every day to keep my gauge consistant. Well, that is what I tell myself. I am tempted to make the twisted rib sweater but I used to twist all my stitches and I have had to break myself of the habit. I too like to listen to music while knitting. The cable channel in my area has many music chanels and listening to the blues and knitting with Noro is my favorite thing.
RobinH wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 1:13 PM
I agree with everyone who says trying new things and having both simple and complex things going at once. But also, I don't hesitate to take break and do something else. I can get very goal-oriented about finishing, but if I'm tired of knitting, I'll go read or play music or exercise or sew or do one of a dozen other hobbies. (Housework I save for really desperate times.) JD- one of my favorite dead-simple stitch patterns for socks is garter rib (intro'd to me by Charlene Schurch in her lovely book Sensational Knitted Socks): Row 1 K2,P2 Row 2 K around. It produces smooth verticals with texture between, very simple and yet visually interesting. It's especially nice with heathered or lightly shaded yarns.
Kashi wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 4:59 PM
To help keep my knitting fresh and fun, I try knitting in new places. Usually a loner at school, I'm not one for gossip or trivialities. Sometimes I'll knit in the library, or at the park under a tree. Sometimes I ride a scooter downtown (it's about .75 miles away from where I live), pick a bench, and knit my troubles away. I also like listening to music while I knit. As a diehard musician myself, I appreciate a wide range of music, but I especially enjoy oldies, "classical," and jazz. I get most of my listening done while knitting, and though it slows me down just a bit, I get more pleasure out of knitting than I would otherwise.
CaitJ wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 4:45 PM
I am a new, two-year old knitter. When I made a mistake, I have never groaned at the idea of frogging. I just figured that it enabled me to extend my knitting time and to be able to continue knitting and ending the project. The trouble I have, as with my other passion of counted cross stitch, is alway and has been the starting of a new project. That is why I probably have many projects going at once. My goal is to learn to knit socks. Talk about a totally portable, soothing thing to do. I think that the thing that keeps it new and fresh and fun for me is the idea of possibly giving the project to someone that will appreciate the hours of knitting and praying that I have done for them as I knit.
Mary@12 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 4:16 PM
Anytime I'm really in a pickle and feel like I'm just the tired out knitter I find a class. Learning something new and being surrounded by folks who are creative really gets me going again. Sometimes I just take a class where I know the subject but it still helps to be surrounded by a group who are totally jazzed about knitting.
LynnF wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 1:13 PM
I love to felt bags. I like to have a bag started on my needles. After I get it done I'll do a different project. Right now I'm doing a baby blanket for my new nephew. There are three of us who get together once a week to knit and talk. That keeps it fun for me.
Susknit wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 12:32 PM
I always have 4 or 5 projects on the go, of varying complexity. That way, if I have a problem with one project, or get bored if the knitting is plain, I can switch to another one and return to the problem after a break. I am currently knitting an Aran weight shawl, a 1ply lace shawl, a jacket in Noro Silk Garden, wrist warmers and a baby blanket in shadow knitting, plus the inevitable socks. I am constantly on the lookout for new projects to start, but have a stash that's threatening to take over the house.Oh well, I shall never be without something to knit.
jldotson39 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 11:08 AM
So--is there a pattern available for this "One easy-to-memorize-but-lovely stitch pattern, worked ‘round and ‘round till the knitting is done. " ? I need to stop what I'm knitting at the moment (tea cozies) and an easy sock sounds nice. Thanks for any help.
HannahB wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 10:36 AM
I usually pick some program on the radio I really want to listen to. Most of the time it's either crime or classical music. Then I sit in my favourit chair and _do not knit_. But I keep a nice piece of knitting nearby... usually it takes about half an hour and I'm at it... Since I did not intent to knit, I do not need to be productive. But I might as well take a closer look to find out where the pattern went wrong. Or I might take another pair of needles and some ugly yarn I always wanted to get rid of and start doing the konstruktion in miniature. Even if what I do is quite crappy and full of mistakes, I usually get some kind of notion where the problem is. And since I keep my mind on the radio program, I'm always pleasantly surprised if a solution occurs or something gets done, but am not disappointed if not.
Ginny wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 10:22 AM
I love, love, LOVE Gabrielle's response. This is my favorite solution for the "lost my knitting mojo" blues. An added twist is that I knit and FELT my dog toys. All our doggy & kitty friends got a felted toy for Xmas ^..^ I have so many projects on the needle that I am never bored. Socks are my constant companion - a pair is always in the works. Right now I have a lace shawl, two different (1 knit, 1 crochet) socks, a simple jacket, The Hemlock Ring, a scarf, a dog sweater and a huge bag that will be felted and lined - to become a knitting bag for a friend. There are days I work on only one project. Others days I switch up. Then there's my wheel and my loom . . .
Gabrielle wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 10:01 AM
When I get bored or frustrated with my knitting, I switch to a dog toy. My German Shepherd doesn't care if my knitting is perfect, he doesn't care if it's shaped like a bone, the mailman, or just a tube....LOL...and he's ALWAYS very appreciative to receive one! You can use up that ugly, hairy neon green and purple yarn that your DH found at the dollar store, and he takes it from your hand as if it is the finest Quviut or Vicuna...LOL....Oh yeah, and then there is having multiple projects.... (But always a dog toy in there somewhere...because if YOU don't have a dog, someone you know DOES...and the recipient acts the same! It's the only knitting you can do that you love to see slobbered on!)
Nancy LB wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 9:57 AM
I am in the process of knitting a sweater for my little grandson. If I start having problems I lay it aside for a couple of days and work on dishor wash clothes, breaks up the monotany of the knitting. Yes the sweater will be finished soon..
WendyS@2 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 9:38 AM
I knit almost exclusively for charity so my patterns are always simple and quick and easy. When the same sweater I've made a half dozen times gets really boring I will add stripes, some simple pattern using knit and purl stitches etc. Remembering who will benefit helps keep me going. But most of all I am not afraid to frog if I don't like how something is turning out. I can't imagine working on something that I am dissapointed with or can't stand how it looks. it is suppose to be fun - not a chore. When knitting and my fingers crimp worse than frogged yarn I switch to embroidery, sewing, spinning, or quilting.
on Feb 26, 2009 9:19 AM
I have a bit of a different comment, but feel that it is IMPORTANT. After reading y'all's glowing reports of the book, French Girl Knits, I bought one. While it is a dreamy book with wonderful patterns, it is all done in METRIC MEASUREMENTS. I doubt that I'll ever use it because of this. I feel you SHOULD have mentioned this in your ads. It is VERY dissappointing to get such an expensive book and then have to go through dozens of math calculations (NOT in the book) to change everything to standard measurements before I can even decide on yarns, etc. much less actually make one of the items.
ChristieC wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 9:07 AM
I try to find a way to fix mistakes without ripping back entire rows. Can the missed stitch be added a row later? Or, can the mistake become a "design element" Will anyone notice it but me? I only knit what I like. It is a hobby afterall.
MarlaF wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 8:49 AM
Just to let you know that I've tried to view the pages of Simple Style but keep receiving an error message that closes the window. Thought you should know in case anyone else is having the same problem.
Mary LynnJ wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 8:08 AM
Sometimes it is just walking away. Sometimes it is just frogging it. Especially if you realize that you really don't like it. Too little time to waste on stuff that you don't like. And sometimes, it is going to a knitting group that has new knitters and you look up and realize that they have been watching your hands. And acknowledging to them that soon, they will be knitting as if it were second nature.
DeniseB wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 7:58 AM
Like others have said I practice the "M" for multiples and have several various projects going at once so if one leaves me wanting I can switch to another. Also if a new book/magazine/online pattern that calls my name appears suddenly, I will allow myself the luxury of swatching the stitch pattern or checking out the yarn to see if it's in the future for me. It never hurts to dream a little!
K2Tog@2 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:56 AM
I always have multiple projects on the go ranging in difficulty to suit my concentration capabilities. I like to have something portable for the train as I travel a lot, some really tricky lace for when I want a challenge, at least one pair of socks and numerous caridigans but then I'm quite happy to start something else too. I love to spend time shuffling through my stash and fantasising about what I might make but I never start anything properly until I've fully researched and swatched first to save disappointment. Most importantly though I don't get annoyed if I go wrong - it's how we learn after all!
carolfiona wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:54 AM
I try not to have any rules or "shoulds". No yarn diets, no fretting about stash, no worries about letting projects mature for 5 years. I knit what I want, when I want, and when I don't feel like finishing something, I don't.
Debbie@2 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:53 AM
I happily follow the Q principle (quit) evidenced by all the incomplete projects in my craft room. But, that is balanced by all the projects that have been completed and loving given as gifts.
PatriciaM@2 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:52 AM
I am a member of a knitting group and a knitting guild. When I run into problems my friends comes to help. We all help each other. The local yarn shop has really great knitters. There is always someone to help. I also check the Internet to see if there were any corrections to the patterns I some time just knit items that you don't have to think about for a break.
LauraK wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:48 AM
NOTE TO NANCY F - I MUST have "S" sydrome...I have 5 - count them 5 single socks because I didn't feel like putting the second on needles...I LOVE your thoughts on getting the next one started......., but here is one for you.....my next month's "learning experience" ( since I have decided one per month is a good thing)...is to learn to knit 2 socks at one time on circulars..........a cure for the "S" syndrome.....=)
LauraK wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:43 AM
There are ALWAYS several things on my needles at once! If something frustrates me I put it down until I feel like picking it up, or have someone that can walk me thru what I am doing wrong. .I NEVER promise anything as a gift anymore so I don't have the pressure of a time limit. If I want to make something as a gift, I do, if it's not done, I BUY one and then that will be "next year's" gift or slated for someone else if it is size-sensitive. Knitting is supposed to be fun, IT IS FUN, and when it stops being fun it is time to get a new hobbie!
SharonV wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:24 AM
I keep my knitting fresh by starting a new project. A pair of socks here, a sweater there, a hat - whatever. It is nothing for me to have several projects on needles at once. That way, whatever I'm in the mood to knit I'm almost always halfway done.
maak wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:20 AM
I usually design a project with the recipient. It takes the surprise out of it but non-knitters sometimes come up with difficult ideas or something I've never done before. I find this challenging and interesting. With the recipient knowing about a project, it always gets completed, which is satisfying. I rarely work to a deadline though, or else it would seem too much like work. I never make anything without an intended recipient.
ClaudiaC wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:13 AM
Like others commenting here, I have a few different projects going at one time from simple to more challenging. I've also learned NOT to throw the needles down or rip out too soon. Just set it aside, come back later, un-knit back to the problem (if I can) and then put it down. If frustration, or boredom gets too high....I go read. I always have a book or two going as well. And I always have a sock on the needles.
SarahG@3 wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 6:11 AM
I search on line or at my favorite store for another pattern and/or yarn to add to my stash! Or I smock or sew.
Helene RL wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 5:41 AM
Re: the Twisted V Pullover: Love it, Love it, LOVE IT!!! Just what I need, another Must Do project! ;) Seriously though, it is perfect - flattering for just about any figure shape, uses a lighter weight yarn, so wearable for more of the year, easy enough to do that I can use it as my "in between" project while I'm driving myself crazy with asymmetrical cables and multi-color work, AND - it's knit in the round (fewer annoying seams to deal with!) Hurrah!
leslietricot wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 5:23 AM
I make little swatches/gauges/samples of pattern stitch for upcoming projects. Small ways to play with the yarn in my stash and get myself pumped. I regularly stash yarn with a pattern in mind, then play around to see what other patterns would accommodate said yarn and file (like put them on a shelf--I'm not THAT organized!!) my choices for a true decision at a later time. I try not to think of my projects in a linear history--I try to think of them as little pieces of art that will be my footprint on the world. I get particularly stressed when I have "deadline" knitting (almost always self-inflicted). I am lucky to have a designated room for my yarn, fabric and art supplies. I go into my studio and sit on the day bed and look at pattern books and plan for future projects. I usually have about 5 projects going at the same time in varying degrees of difficulty and work on what revs my motor at the time and how much I want an easy knit vs. a non-alcoholic knit. Often, I get so into something that I finish it first!!!
VykkyA wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 5:14 AM
Great topic! S is for Swap or Spin. Complicated pattern bogging you down? Swap to a simple mindless repeat and re-enter the fun zone! Or...step back to your roots and Spin for a while. The rhythmic creativity is guaranteed to turn your spirits around! Of course, you could go on...C is for Card...B is for Blend...R is for Raw Fleece...any way you approach your fiber arts is all good!
janderry wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 4:05 AM
What should be a link to the free pattern instead shunts me to the KNitting Daily TV page. Please post the link to the free pattern.
flowergirl wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 3:32 AM
I simply put it to one side and start something else. Then I jump from one to the other as it keeps your mind fresh thinking things over.
Mary BethL wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 2:24 AM
Can't I download the pattern without joining ANOTHER website??? I thought that by logging in to IWK that I'd be able to download it from the free patterns section. 8-((( (very sad face)
Roy Laws wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 11:44 PM
When I get a bit burned out, I switch knitting styles. I have found that I can switch between Portuguese style knitting and either English/Irish or Continental without any great variation in tension. (Actually, I have problems with tention in Continental, but if I use the Combo method with reversed stitches, the tension is great. This switching around to different types of knitting breaks the monotony on a large project. (Just be sure to do a test swatch in each method to be sure you can maintain your tension!)
Pam@9 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 9:38 PM
Knitting is similar to reading a book - when they are used for relaxation it's best not to knit/read the same thing over and over - otherwise you get bored and just fall asleep. Knitting remains exciting for me when I pick up a new pattern, new yarn, or a new style. I just learned to knit socks and look for sock yarn every where I go. I also just discovered how to double knit using one yarn. I challenge myself so I don't get bored!
PennieB wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 7:56 PM
I knit with friends! A group at my church gets together to knit once a month and it's so much fun to see what everyone is doing. I also enjoy it when my daughter comes over and we knit, visit and watch movies. Right now we're trying to learn how to make socks on circular needles.
SandraC@2 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 7:42 PM
I keep my knitting fresh and fun by having at least 3 or 4 projects going at one time. I work on the one that I'm in the mood for each day. I also make sure that at least one of my projects involves a challenge of some sort to conquer. My current challenge is trying to knit two socks at the same time on one 40" circular needle!
Elizabeth wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 7:39 PM
Thanks for the free pattern, Sandi. These kind of patterns are my favorite. I will have to buy the book, and make the pullover. Note to MomB: On the Knitting Daily episode there is a place to click for the pullover sweater. They show some patterns that are demonstrated on the show and this pattern is one of them. Or go to knittingdailytv.com and look through the 200 series episodes til you see the sweater and click on it for the free pattern.
SarahL@2 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 7:27 PM
Have more than one project going so if you get frustrated with one, you can set it aside and work on something else.
NormalMom wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 6:56 PM
To keep my knitting fresh and fun I ALWAYS have at least 5 (different colors and textures) works in progress, and a couple of them are always simple and portable. When I start making stupid mistakes on a complex pattern I put it away for the evening and take out a "no-brainer" to work on.
SueC@4 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 6:01 PM
I like "A". My daughter who swore she would never and I mean never knit. Now knits and well. We ask each other when we run into a problem. She was just here today about a sweater and I hit her with a sock question.
JanS@2 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:54 PM
I believe that every knitter has a sock.....or a scarf, a hat, mittens.... A small, simple, portable project that, when picked up releases all the tension of a frustrating project. I love my socks. When I pick up those skinny needles it's like coming home. You can wait - oh cabled sweater!
on Feb 25, 2009 5:48 PM
I supply teach, so I always have a piece on the go that fits into my bag of school goodies. I usually keep them small and portable. Right now I have socks on the go. Whether I'm with 6 yr olds or 16 year olds the kids are facinated, the boys as much as the girls. But the sad comment I hear the most is that its their Grandmother who knits, no one else. When I have long term assignments one of the first things I do is to get the boys knitting. I tell them (truthfully) that it will help them with their math skills.
MomB wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:43 PM
The download link for the sweater goes to a Knitting Daily episode recap that has a tree star on it. Am I missing something? Help, please! Thanks.
SusanM@3 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:35 PM
To keep my knitting fresh, I have several projects going at once. I decide what I feel like working on and go forth. Sometimes I change my mind after a few stitches. It's all about the pleasure of knitting. It has to be fun and exciting. I move on to something else. There are times when I no longer want to work on a project ever again. Then I dismantle it and use the yarn for something else. I have decided that forcing myself to finish something that is no longer enjoyable to work on is not worth it! It is all about the process for me.
PatriciaD wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:29 PM
It has gotten to the point all my project was a must do type..One evening, I said to my self "self why are you not enjoyingknitting as yiou once did.." Right then I took a deep breath..made up my mind I'd spend my time knitting for FUN..guess hat I have finished some UFO and have been much happier ever siknce.
RosemaryC wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:18 PM
Right now I have 5 projects going. I always have a baby hat on my needles for charity knitting, and I always have a scarf to raffle off at our golf team's Breast Cancer Tournament. The hats and scarves are always fun (and easy) to knit, and I can use one or two balls of really yummy yarn. Of course there are always socks,These projects get me through the more intricate and time consuming knitting "jobs". Your magazine, INTERWEAVE KNITTING, is also a huge help. I put down my knitting for a while and look at all the beautiful creations and dream of what will be on my needles next.
MistyC wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:14 PM
I leave the project and spin . or I pick another kniting project socks are my go to at this point and yes I ve had projects like a sweater I wanted so much but couldnt get the teather and fan lace right so I just threw it . i gave the Handspun yarn away ~
Kym wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:08 PM
keeping my knitting fresh is I always have 3or 4 knitting and crochet projects going on and everyday I work on one of them and when was is nearly done I then keep going to it is finished. Then I start a new project to take its place and go back to ones that are started and so on. So I never with the same project day in day out. Kym
RobinT wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 5:06 PM
I try everything! Entrelac, fair isle, cables, whatever looks interesting to me. I always think- hey, it's just yarn and 2 sticks- how scary can it be!! This way, I always have something new to look forward to.
NancyF@2 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:54 PM
S is for Second-sock and second-mitten-syndrome. When one was completely finished, I never wanted to start all over on the second! But if I've begun the second before I finished the first, I'm good, and it's easy to finish both. Usually I knit the first far enough that I know it will fit (instep decreases done, or just past the thumb), then I swith and knit the second while I still remember what I did! Then it's easy to finish up the first. But even if I've only done the cuff of the second sock or mitten, I'm invested and will go back and finish it.
MarthaB wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:51 PM
For me it's variety, variety, VARIETY! I like different stitch patterns, different garments, different colors, (different problems, too, I guess). I love to have a sock going most of the time, because they're small, easy to carry around and of infintie variety. I'm always excited by the prospect of something new. It is also great, as mentioned above, to have multiple projects going, so you can take a break with something else.
berigora wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:47 PM
lIke SusanD and no doubt many others, I have several projects going at the same time which prevents boredom - however, as knitting is a winter sport here in Australia I tend to forget from one winter to the next what I started and put away unfinished. Happiness is definitely finding and FINISHING SOMETHING!
honey_b wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:42 PM
D for don't ever think I can't. I have only been knitting one year, and I have tried some hard patterns. Some, I have put aside for later, some I conquered and taught my mentors, and some I found I didn't like to do. All of the time, I found out that it's not the solution that gives satisfaction, but knowing I have tried.
SuzanneV wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:42 PM
Oh, so many things! I'm a (mostly) monogamous knitter, so when I'm sick of a project, I spin. Making buttons is also a nice break when things get sticky. And if a project isn't working out, I frog with little hesitation. I see frogging as free yarn!
SusanD@6 wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:37 PM
I always have at least two projects going at the same time. One is always very simple knitting. When I get frustrated with the more difficult or intricate project, I will pull out the easier one for a couple of days before trying again. When I go to my knitting group meeting twice a month, I take my intricate project to show, but I knit on the easy one -- we talk so much, I can easily get lost in a pattern!
MadelineB wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:30 PM
Like most people that knit or crochet. I have SEVERAL projects going at one time. Some are simple, some intricate, some are big and others are small (carry-a-longs). Generally, if I am having a problem getting something to go well, I need to change it up in order to clear the cobwebs. Besides, if I tried "Ktothe8's" method, I would rip out more than I finish!
PatK wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:26 PM
Embrace the frogging. It frustrated me no end when I was a novice - until a wise knitter pointed out to me that knitting is one of the few crafts where, if you have to disassemble your work, you get your raw materials back in usable form. I just unraveled half a sock because I was hating the heel. Now I'm reknitting it with the heel I prefer, and it makes me ridiculously happy. Try doing that with carpentry!
JoanK wrote
on Feb 25, 2009 4:25 PM
I would like to receive some free patterns for baby clothes
Ktothe8 wrote