How-To Video: Twisted Stitches, The Simple Way

Feb 27, 2009

Do The Twist!

Twisted stitches aren't always a mistake--sometimes designers use them intentionally to give a garment texture, body, and interest. A perfect example is this week's free pattern, the Twisted-V Pullover, an excerpt from our new book Simple Style. In this pretty pullover, the clean lines of a classic V-neck are enhanced with a lovely twisted rib stitch pattern. The twisted stitches of the bodice define the pullover's slimming silhouette; the same pattern at the cuffs adds to the sweater's unusual look.

As a companion to our free pattern, in today's video, Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, shows us all the simple "ins and outs" of twisting your stitches: how to purl through the back loop, what to do on wrong-side rows, and how to work twisted stitches in the round.

Enjoy!

-- Sandi

If you have trouble watching the video above, click here to view it.

Simple, Yet Beautiful Knitting:
Simple Style:
19 Innovative to Traditional Designs With Simple Knitting Techniques

Life these days can seem pretty complicated--and if you're like me, the time you spend knitting is a much-needed antidote for all the other frantic hours in the day! When you're tired, or stressed, it can be comforting to "just knit"--to have a project on your needles without complicated shaping or patterning, a project that makes the most of a gorgeous yarn and the simple glory of the knit and purl stitch.

Simple Style by Ann Budd presents patterns that are graceful without being fussy, stylish without being fancy. Each pattern has something special about it--an interesting edging, an unexpected silhouette--and each pattern is clean, classic, and yes: simple.

Order Simple Style today!

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? You may have noticed I like to switch back and forth between different projects quite a bit...this helps me to adjust my knitting to my mood, my energy levels, and to the sudden appearance of a new, gorgeous yarn! This week, I seem to be sock-happy; I'm determined to finish at least one pair before I cast on for anything new. (Wish me luck.) Happy Weekend Knitting, all!

Comments

locoone wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 3:00 PM

Giving my nice stories to friends is my weak skill - I can say them just about [url=www.plussizetrendyclothing.net]plus size trendy clothing [/url], and my mood isn't good

locoone wrote
on Dec 15, 2010 2:02 PM

Giving my good information to fellows is my not a strong point - I can tell them just about <a href="www.plussizetrendyclothing.net/">plus size trendy clothing</a>, and the last isn't proper

SelmaJ wrote
on Mar 24, 2009 8:51 PM
Add my vote to a tutorial on the way Eunny knits. I've tried watching several times, but it's still too fast for me. It does look efficient and comfortable.
SandraK wrote
on Mar 19, 2009 6:08 PM
My last Knitting Daily newsletter was February 20/09. After communicating many times with consumer service I still have no newsletter. I was given a new password but am told it's invalid. I'm sure there is some mistake somewhere . I sure miss my daily newsletters ~~ Sandra
TamaraM wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 5:21 PM
Yes, I would agree with the comments on slowing the demonstration down (not when Eunny was simply knitting quickly to get to the next point, but even when she was showing the stitch, it was too fast). I would also suggest making the camera angle MUCH closer. If you go out to KnittingHelp.com and look at their instructional videos, you'll see that they are much easier to see--they use contrasting yarns when necessary, focus much more closely on the needles and hands, and use larger needles and yarn. If they point is to demonstrate a stitch, it needs to be larger and slower. But I really wish also that Knitting Daily was available in my area (Vermont).
Elizabeth wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 9:32 AM
Love this sweater. Easy, simple, stylish, vintage! Can we have more like it?? Also, I am trying to figure out how Eunny does the continental purl stitich, both regular and twisted. PLEASE slow down so I can see what she is doing. Thanks for this free pattern. There are other patterns in this book that look intriguing, too. I have not purchased any of the other Style books, because there was usually only one or two patterns that I liked. I intend to purchase this book. It is wonderful. Thanks Interweave Press.
margiev2 wrote
on Mar 6, 2009 2:57 PM
What a fascinating way to knit - I'd love a tutorial on how Eunny knits. It appears to be very efficient. Also, I, too, would appreciate know how to raise the neckline. Thanks, Knitting Daily!
janetma wrote
on Feb 28, 2009 10:09 AM
I too would like Eunny to slow down. You do such beautiful innovative work but it is very difficult to follow your speed. The camera work needs help too so that what you are saying matches what is being shown. -Janet
JuliaM@5 wrote
on Feb 28, 2009 10:02 AM
When I've done twisted rib in the round in the past, the knitting itself has twisted, so the columns of ribbing aren't really vertical. In the video, it doesn't look like Eunny has this problem. Do you know what might cause this? Thanks!
DianeK@2 wrote
on Feb 28, 2009 9:36 AM
Sandi, I have both sets of DVDs Knittingdaily TV series 100 and 200. Are the patterns still available to download for series 100? I find it tedious to download each pattern. How about putting all the patterns in a book to go with the DVD's to buy as a set or separately?
on Feb 27, 2009 8:51 PM
I no longer get daily emails. Are you taking a break or is there a problem coming from my email? -Jenny
CarolV wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 6:38 PM
I would appreciate slower instructions. I enjoy your show very much.I'm knitting flatfeet socks. Since they are reknit yarn, I find it hard to measure correctly. I really have a thing for lace,and loved your "nupps". So I bought Estonian Lace. I absolutely love it. Thank you, C.V.
CVWGma wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 5:40 PM
Eunny, Cant thank you enough for the wonderful video. Your explanations and demos are so clear and easy to follow. I too woulld like info on raising the neck line on the Twisted Stitches sweater. Geri G
Behrens219 wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 5:36 PM
To knit the sleeves in the round, try using 2 circular needles. You only work with one needle at a time and the stitches on the second needle "rest", but don't fall off as they might using double point needles. I learned to make socks this way and it is much easier than trying to balance 3 or 4 double points. I use 2 circular needles for anything that is small in cumference, such as the tops of hats as you decrease, sleeves, socks, etc.
on Feb 27, 2009 4:56 PM
How would I adjust the pattern for the twisted v-neck sweater (free download) to not be so low cut? Being a bit older, I prefer to show fewer neck and chest wrinkles. Thanks, Nellie Ruth
Galleylama wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 2:55 PM
Eunny, you have so much to teach us, but PLEASE slow down! I have to watch the video several times to see what you are doing.
Lynn G. wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 2:19 PM
I had noticed before--but it was even more visible in this video--that Eunny has the most unusual yarn-hold that I've seen. While most Continental-style knitters have the yarn running from the index finger to the work, and tensioned with any of the other fingers, Eunny uses her index finger to tension the work, her hand or palm to keep the needle in balance, leaving her middle and ring fingers free to make very rapid, small movements to guide the yarn from front to back and into different positions during the process of completing stitches. Given how unusual this method of holding the yarn seems (did she invent it or does it have a name?), it would be very helpful to have her slow way down and demonstrate both this hold AND the more common left-hand holds so that knitters trying to learn the specific technique that any particular video is teaching will not think that the "finger roles" being played as part of Eunny's personal regular hold are part of the technique being discussed that day. I recently learned, from books, that the fact that I have the yarn coming off of the BACK of my index finger rather than the front might make stranded colorwork more difficult for me, but Eunny also has the yarn running from the back of her finger, only it's her MIDDLE finger. Apparently there really is no "right way," but whatever her hold is called, it appears to be remarkably efficient. I find it hard to discern, though, because her manicured names, while gorgeous, reflect a lot of distracting light! I think it would be very hard for me to learn to tension the yarn with my index finger and to use the other fingers as yarn-guides, but I'd love to try it.
Jan T. wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 2:16 PM
After reading Knitting Daily for about a year, I taught myself how to knit from a book last week. After watching Eunny's video, I realize that I have been knitting into the back loop all along! In the middle of my 2nd baby hat -- will have to correct on the 3rd!
JudithG wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 2:14 PM
when I d/l the Twisted Sts. sweater the pdf won't open, I get an error message saying the data was corrupted. I have the most updated version of Adobe and am using Firefox as a browser. This has happened before! Do I need to use another browser?? thanks for any help with this.
SusanS@3 wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 1:36 PM
Isn't it possible to knit the sleeve of the Twisted Rib sweater in the round? That way there would be no problem with changes in guage from flat to round.
MaryL@11 wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 1:34 PM
I also don't get the Knitting Daily e-mail anymore. mlatimer@cabletv.on.ca
MaryW wrote
on Feb 27, 2009 12:47 PM
Eunny is a fantastic knitter and teacher. Just wish she would slow down a bit on the videos.
on Feb 27, 2009 9:29 AM
I used to get Knitting Daily delivered to my inbox. It no longer shows up. Is there a problem? Or is Knitting Daily no longer being delivered to private email inboxes? Sheila