One Garment, Two Ways: Style Suggestions From Eunny Jang

Mar 9, 2009

Notes from Sandi: This week, Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, presents different ways to wear some of the designs from the Spring 2009 issue of Knits. Here's Eunny!

Being a maker of any kind is a powerful thing: it means that tools for self-expression are constantly at your fingertips.
Choosing a yarn, a color, tweaking the little details to get a project just right—every knit is intimately connected with its knitter, refined and perfected for unique tastes and needs. In the first book of our Style series, Scarf Style, Pam Allen says,

“An idea…can come from anywhere, an irresistible yarn, a stitch pattern that appeals to you, a crocheted border you’d like to try, or perhaps a collection of beads that would make a wonderful fringe…Even if your knitting skills are limited to the knit stitch, you’ll find several ways to make even the basic garter stitch scarf interesting and individual.”

Learn more about the books in the Style series.

Pam goes on to look at designing your own scarf, and at 30 designer interpretations. The entire series is about how personal knitting can be. And that’s what I love about knitting, what keeps me hooked and always ready to cast on: every project is new again, a chance to make something deeply individual and suited just-so to my closet, my house, my life. Every time I knit for someone else, I think about how to make it a seamless fit for their lifestyle. How often do you get that kind of satisfaction?

Every single project in Interweave Knits is meant to be made, worn, and enjoyed—we believe strongly in pieces that are both intriguing to knit and wearable or useful. At the same time, our magazine is meant to set a mood and inspire, which often means depicting only one or two of the many ways a piece could be worn and the many different lifestyles it could fit into. To that end, we’ve shot a handful of the projects from the Spring issue of Interweave Knits with different styling ideas—how would you make them your own?

Not a subscriber to Interweave Knits? Click here to subscribe.

Petal Halter

Olga Buraya-Kefelian has built a surprisingly versatile tank in an unusual, beautifully functional way: Six identical short-row curved pieces are stacked on top of each other and joined before adding wide straps, creating a slinky, segmented fabric that flows across the body’s curves comfortably.

We showed it in the magazine as a tank, on its own—it’s a great piece to wear bare in warm weather, casually with jeans or dressed up a little with a skirt. The tank is so structured, you may want to go for volume and/or softness for the bottom—casual jeans, light and airy fabrics.

Or try the top as a layer under a jacket. The unique construction is still visible, but the overall look is work-appropriate.

Finally, you could certainly wear the Halter as a vest. We’re showing it here over a very soft, filmy shirt with a lot of volume—but it could work equally well over a plainer oxford or even a long-sleeve tee.

Saoirse Shawl

Norah Gaughan’s Saoirse Shawl is surprisingly fun to knit—there’s a lot of fabric that goes into those swinging, cascading ruffles. The yarn, Berroco Seduce, gives the piece heavy, fluid drape and movement. It’s a very visually compelling piece—it moves every time the wearer does.

We showed it in the magazine as a hip-slung asymmetrical skirt over jeans. Worn the same way, it would make a great coverup at the beach, as well.

Of course, you could wear it as a little shawl or capelet, too. We’ve tied it asymmetrically here, so the longest portion of the fabric drapes over one shoulder, but a more classic front tie would also work. Over jeans and a tee, it’s casual and fun; over dressier pieces, it’s classic.

Up next: The Posy Slip, the Watered Quartz Tee, and the St. John’s Wort Cardigan!

Knit Cardigan Patterns From Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Knitting Patterns

Every knitter has dreamed of the perfect cardigan pattern that he or she might knit some day. From a cozy cable knit to luminous lace, this free ebook will be your dream come true. This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans-which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Download Your Free eBook Today

Comments

on Mar 12, 2009 9:05 AM
Where can I get a copy of the Watered Quartz Tee pattern? Thanks.
NancyS@5 wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 8:15 PM
I just wonder why the St. John’s Wort Cardigan is called that. St. John's Wort is yellow.
LouiseA wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 8:01 PM
You know, I have never subscribed, but I have purchased every single issue of IK till this one and this is the one I am not going to get. First, I'm over 50 and have a BMI of more than 18, and there's not one single garment that would flatter anyone who's not young and skinny. Second, the garments are getting odd: do I really wake up in the morning thinking today I want to wear an Ace bandage, or a functionless detachable ruffle? Not that often... and the Diminishing Ribs cardigan has fronts that don't meet! How's that going to look on someone who, you know, actually has a bosom? Kinda gappy, I think. I think this time I'm going to pick up a copy of Deborah Newton's classic "Designing Knitwear" instead, and see what I come up with on my own.
Nsoram wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 6:38 PM
I love this new styling segment. I've been doing this in my head since I started crafting again, because it helps me choose which garment to make. Please continue this segment and please keep pushing the envelope with your designs and styling.
AnneG wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 5:42 PM
Now how about showing us some garments that those of us weighing more than 95 pounds would actually wear outside a photo studio? And in the shot of the Posy Slip being worn over jeans and a tee (which looks ridiculous), the model must be wearing full body Spanx with tee sleeves and jean legs sewn on to get a perfectly smooth line. Or some graphics person Photoshopped out all the lumps and bumps that surely would result from a knitted dress being stretched over even the skinniest jeans. And the St. John's Wort sweater buttoned over that balloon-skirted dress just looks schlumpy. Unbuttoned, it looks both schlumpy and too small. I don't know if it's a bad design or bad styling or what, but it sure doesn't look good.
JayelF wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 2:09 PM
I appreciate how you & the editorial staff go beyond the magazine layouts to give ideas as to how your patterns can be adapted, made or worn. I enjoyed this posting and continue to enjoy your Galleries. I know every pattern isn't for my body, taste or age group, but I think you folks do a good job of keeping us all engaged by showing us something beyond skinny models staring off into the distance at an exotic locale, with the garmet pinned just so to hug their frame.
AnneM@2 wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 1:22 PM
I appreciate Eunny Jang's feature One Garment, Two Ways. Even if it's obvious (such as a sweater under a jacket), it's nice to see the extra photos.
LauraM@2 wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 1:07 PM
OMG you can wear a sweater by itself AND under a jacket??? who knew. this is ridiculous
BeverlyR@3 wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 12:51 PM
the "Posy" dress. I'm sorry but that is hideously unbelievable! I have never commented on anything here but it's not so much the pattern itself but the yarn chosen and the fact that you think you could wear a knee length looking dress over jeans. Sure you can wear one of the shorter styles over jeans - my daughters do it all the time but not a dress that is down to your knees. It just seems like someone is desperate when it comes to trying to come up with some additional photos.
MichelineM wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 12:40 PM
Re the Bag book you advertise, I don't suppose you would consider selling the cover bag pattern separately from the book I just love it and can't buy a whole book just for one pattern. Also I can't wait to start the cardigan on the cover of the spring issue...making myself sew 2 garments together before I can even swatch and start knitting. Thanks for listening
Lily1214 wrote
on Mar 11, 2009 9:52 AM
I liked this halter a lot and then I looked at the sizes it can be knit in and am wondering, can this halter knit for a 40" bust actually be worn?? Even with stitch adjustments for size, wouldn't it lose all of its shape and turn out to be really strange looking on? The model is flat chested, probably weighs 95 pounds and of course it looks fine on her, but did a knitter actually knit this in a large size (size 40") and try it on to see how it looked? Or did the computer knitting software program just change the number of stitches required, etc. for each larger size?? I'm pretty certain the only person who can wear this top is the model herself.
Elizabeth wrote
on Mar 10, 2009 7:42 PM
Sorry, I won't be making anything from this issue. This top reminded me of a catepillar the first time I saw it, but an ace bandage works well too. Sorry, just don't care for it. The shawl as well. Eunny, how about more things like the patterns in Style Simple? That is a great book, with lots of things that appeal: simple, wearable, and fun without lots of weird constructions. Lets see that in the next IK issue.
MicheleG wrote
on Mar 10, 2009 11:29 AM
I was really happy to see the Petal Halter in IK. It's modern and innovative in it's shaping and I think the color is very pretty. I also like how the halter makes reference to a lot of the wrapped, bandaged and tied pieces that have been seen on runways recently. The blouse Eunny Jang has put under the halter has just the right amount of weight and transparency to work well. Now you have a dressier look that could work at an office. I like the look of the Saoirese Shawl worn over the shoulder. And I really appreciate your attempts to style the knits in a contemporary (and not frumpy) manner.
CarmenV wrote
on Mar 10, 2009 7:30 AM
Neither garment seems very flattering, even on the very very thin model, so one can only imagine how unflattering they'd be on an averagely frumpy 58-yr old. This particular issue of Knits had fewer garments of interest than usual.
Beth wrote
on Mar 9, 2009 6:19 PM
I thought the idea is great and gives me endless ideas about knitting projects. The petal halter would look great in a variety of colors. I really liked the shawl. It would make a great accessory. Make several in different colors and add touches to jeans, skirts, anything. It looks like it adds an elegant touch or a casual look with jeans. Keep up the good work.
AnneG wrote
on Mar 9, 2009 5:16 PM
The Petal Halter looks MUCH better on its own than as a vest. However, I'd like to see it with shorter straps, so that it comes up higher under the arms. I think it would be more flattering that way. I'd also have liked it better in a different color, but that's probably what the yarn company sent.
Cavebear2 wrote
on Mar 9, 2009 5:10 PM
Sort of agree with Lisa's comment but I think that maybe more about the colour. It might work better as a 'vest' if it didn't remind people of a bandage colour. It's a bit pale! BTW noticed Sandi's comment about all day meetings and I have been using the sock knitting as a focussing strategy for some time. Keep up that sock knitting!
LisaH wrote
on Mar 9, 2009 5:03 PM
Usually I like the clothing you show, but.... To me the top, when worn as a vest, looks like a great big ace bandage wrapped around the model. Its a cute top - no need to turn it into something it isn't. Lisa