Video Interview with Cookie A.

Mar 25, 2009

Meeting a favorite designer in person is always a treat; listening to them talk about their inspirations for the designs that we knit each day gives us a deeper understanding of just how much work and love goes into each and every stitch.

I got to meet Cookie A., author of our new book Sock Innovations, in June of last year, and was immediately charmed by her quiet enthusiasm for All Things Sock. As I listened to her, I realized that much of her design inspiration comes from her love of mathematics. Through her own special brand of magic and alchemy, Cookie turns basic mathematical principles into easy-to-knit stitches that dazzle the eye. Lace, cables, twisted stitches--all are used as building blocks to create geometric masterpieces meant to peek out from the tops of shoes and the bottoms of your jeans. Her patterns are wildly popular; one of her earliest designs, Monkey, has been knitted by thousands and thousands of knitters worldwide.

The next best thing to meeting Cookie in person is--a Cookie video! And so the fine folks behind our Knitting Daily TV show sat down with Cookie for an interview, so we could bring Cookie to you!

In today's video, Cookie stars in a Designer Spotlight segment on Knitting Daily TV Series 200, talking about her famous Monkey socks, giving tips on resizing them for smaller and larger feet. You can download the free pattern for the expanded sizing version of the Monkey Socks from our Knitting Daily TV website. (Did you know that your Knitting Daily password and login also work on the Knitting Daily TV site? They do! Hooray, only one password to remember to download patterns!)

While you're there, be sure to take a look at all the episode listings to see what other wonderful goodies await you in episodes you may not have seen yet! We have the DVDs of both Series 100 and Series 200 available for purchase in our online store so you can have all the episodes right at your fingertips whenever you want.

Enjoy the video! Don't forget to take a look inside Sock Innovations, and order your copy here. Or why not show your local yarn shop some love--purchase the book from them (and pick up some sock drugs, er, I mean, yarn, while you're there).

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? A Cookie Sock, of course.

Comments

knitbliss wrote
on Apr 18, 2009 7:23 AM
Where the heck is the free sock pattern? I clicked on the link, but couldn't find it.
on Mar 26, 2009 7:33 PM
Thank you for sharing the interview with Cookie! It was fun to get to see "the sock genius" and hear her tone and pacing, which I'll think about now as I'm working through her book. I'm a bit surprised at some of the negative comments here and on YouTube regarding the interview. Although there wasn't much information in the interview and the visual was blurry, the chance to "get to know" a little of the author's personality was nice, and I appreciate Interweave's effort to make that opportunity available. Thanks again!
Joan Barry wrote
on Mar 26, 2009 6:23 AM
Your pop-ups and sales pressure are too much for me. I just joined but regret that my membership will be short lived. And I don't see a way to contact you on the web page (it is legally required to be there). My preference would be to contact you privately, not through a blog. Thank you.
koleraba wrote
on Mar 25, 2009 4:29 PM
Have to agree with one previous commenter: it really IS awful interview as interviews go. Also I see that annoyingly loud music background is kept in season 200, as well as way too long bridges. Enough reasons to forgo that DVD. I hoped that things would be improved from last season, but, alas ...
JeanKnapp wrote
on Mar 25, 2009 3:33 PM
I tried to download Cookie A. Monkey Sock pattern after watching the video, but it came up with a error message that is wasn't able to complete the download. I enjoyed hearing and see what see had to say about how she changes the size of the sock by using a finer yarn and smaller needles.
DeborahB@3 wrote
on Mar 25, 2009 2:46 PM
I'm sorry to be negative but that was one of the worst interviews I have listened to.
TondaS wrote
on Mar 25, 2009 1:59 PM
I am wondering how I find out what channel knitting daily is on in Pittsburgh Pa
LorraineL wrote
on Mar 25, 2009 9:47 AM
Thank you so much for the monkey sock download. It is the perfect teaser. I'm asking my lys to carry Sock Innovations. I will be content with this pattern until the book comes in. It is always a treat to see what fun things are on this site.