Step-by-Step Video: The Stella Shawl

Apr 8, 2009

Sometimes a gorgeous lace shawl can seem totally intimidating, whether it is crocheted or knitted. You might look at the graceful motifs, the interplay of spaces and fabric, and think, "I could never do that." But all knitting and crocheting is simply one stitch built upon another, one round looped through the one before it. Like life, a lace shawl is only done one stitch at a time.

The Stella Shawl, from our book Wrapped in Crochet by Kristin Omdahl, caught my eye during a recent visit to Interweave's book department, where I was lucky enough to see the shawls for Kristin's book in person. I'm a sucker for anything with a star in it, first of all. Take a star motif and work it into the center of a gorgeous spiral shawl, and I'm, er, hooked (sorry). I picked up the Stella and wrapped it around my shoulders...mmmm, alpaca. (I'm also a sucker for alpaca.)

Once I began to examine it, I realized the shawl itself was relatively simple to make. Don't believe me? Well...it just so happens that we have a video of Kristin herself walking us through the shawl's construction, step-by-step. One of the things I loved best about this video was discovering the little memory tricks Kristin had inserted into the shawl pattern to help make it easier to crochet!

I knew you'd love the Stella Shawl, so guess what? The Stella Shawl is this week's free pattern!

Download the free pattern for the Stella Shawl on the Knitting Daily TV website. (It's the same login and password as you use here on Knitting Daily.)

Look for Wrapped in Crochet at your local yarn shop, or buy it here.

Watch the video of Kristin demonstrating how to make the Stella Shawl from Wrapped in Crochet.

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Comments

StellaB wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 3:52 PM
I need help. I have been working on the Stella Shawl and now am at round 40. I am confused. It says Ch 1, sk first sc, sc in next sc, *( ch 5, sc in next ch 5 sp ) which is about 18 sts away from the ch 5 sp. Am I suppose to sc up to the next ch 5 sp. It does not say how to get there. Does anybody know what I mean. Helppppppppp!
vmille01 wrote
on Jun 5, 2009 9:37 PM
I made this shawl in white baby-weight yarn for my soon-to-be great granddaughter for the wedding, it turned out beautiful. The pattern is easy to follow and it drapes beautifully. Who cares if it looks like a tablecloth, she may choose to wear it or use it as a tablecloth, as long as she likes it.
E.L wrote
on Apr 30, 2009 5:53 PM
You misspelled Kristin's last name in the video intro.
TommyS wrote
on Apr 13, 2009 7:07 AM
This is not knitting! This would be great on a site called CrochetDaily, but this is called KnittingDaily! I am disappointed... again...
kathy c wrote
on Apr 11, 2009 7:29 AM
it looks like a table cloth for a round table.Come On people give us a designers good pattern.
CeliaC wrote
on Apr 10, 2009 9:36 AM
Oh never mind, just saw shayb's instructions!
CeliaC wrote
on Apr 10, 2009 9:36 AM
OK, I went to the TV website and didn't see anywhere to download the free pattern. A video doesn't do me any good, my old computer has no sound, but I can follow a pattern, if I can get one!
shayb wrote
on Apr 10, 2009 8:38 AM
You can download it by going here: http://www.knittingdaily.com/blogs/kdtv_series_200/archive/2009/01/11/KDTV0201.aspx You will have to log on again there, since it is a different website, but your log on info there is the same as it is here.
on Apr 9, 2009 4:42 PM
how does one download the printed directions for the stella shawl? I sure would love to start this gorgeous shawl
orion wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 10:41 AM
Barb, We apologize for your disappointment. We appreciate your comments and will share them with the appropriate people. Thanks, Shay Black Customer Support Manager Interweave customerservice@interweave.com
Barb Rickman wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 7:54 AM
I was very disappointed with the YouTube video. The shawn is black and laying down on itself. I NEVER saw the star pattern, nor could I see the demenstrated samples in blue. I really think that before you do these kinds of segments, think about how we are seeing these things and take into concideration the fact that we do not see from you angle. Watch the cooking programs for how to film something from above and put the black shawl against something white so the pattern can be seen.
GeorgiQ wrote
on Apr 9, 2009 5:35 AM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! How did you know that I have been coveting this pattern!! (and the book which I ordered 2 days ago) I just haven't been able to decide on a yarn. Any yarn suggestions?
WendyP@2 wrote
on Apr 8, 2009 5:28 PM
I had no intention of starting yet another project, but I down-loaded Stella and have just finished row 16. The instructions are very clear and the video was great. I had a bunch of DK in the attic and it's working out just fine. Alpaca would be wonderful!
CeliaC wrote
on Apr 8, 2009 2:01 PM
Oooooooooooooh, so pretty! Love that Stella!