Knits Summer 2009 Preview

Apr 20, 2009

Note from Sandi: And it's here! The Knits Summer 2009 Preview is ready, and here's Eunny Jang, the editor of Interweave Knits, to give you the highlights:

Summer is finally here—I’m looking forward to long, hot days; just-ripe fruit; and lazy Sundays spent drowsing and knitting in the backyard. Summer can be a great time to try out new techniques, have another go at skills that eluded you in the past, or work on a dream project—the sweater or socks or shawl you’ve always loved but never had time for. Because summer garments tend to be lighter, smaller, and less commitment-heavy, summer can be a great time to work on more intricate or complicated items as well. Or, summer can set the stage for a much-needed breather: cool cottons and linens and simple, unfussy fabrics and shapes can be as refreshing as a tall cold drink.

For the Summer 2009 issue of Interweave Knits, we set out to find items that hit some high points along the broad spectrum of summer knitting and summer knitters. For those who like smaller, more intricate projects, we’re taking a look at The New Heirloom story: garments and accessories that combine influences from traditional knitting and vintage fashion. If the logical, simple beauty of plain knitted fabric appeals to you, check out the Lithosphere story for beautifully sculpted textures that drape and flow. Pearl Street offers fun, funky items to knit quickly and wear all summer. And Forever Lace serves up the old standby in unexpected ways that might make you look at combining yarnovers and decreases in whole new ways. It’s amazing how new, how fresh, knitting can be every time you pick up needles and yarn to start a new project: there’s always something that fits the season, the mood, the moment.

Check out the Summer 2009 Interweave Knits preview and discover knits that fit your summer knitting style.

-- Eunny

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Striped socks. I have a bouquet of summer wildflower colored yarn from Louet and I'm knitting a bouquet of striped socks--look for them soon here on Knitting Daily.

Comments

JackieJ wrote
on May 8, 2009 8:08 PM
I used to love every issue of Knits, but I have become dissollusioned lately. Perhaps because I have been knitting for 50 years and have an enormous collection of knitting books and patterns and designs seem to be recycled or with just a minor change. Regardless of the lovely yarns used I wonder what has happened to imagination. Grotto is lovely but I have a shelf full of similar designs that I have knitted with yarn of similar fiber content. So now I wait for the magazine to come out and decide then if to buy it. I am also not pleased to have to download patterns listed in the magazine there is enough wasted paper out there when it is time to knit the item. Perhaps the editorial staff should not try to fit so much in a single issue and this would not be necessary. Also I do not think it is user friendly to have four patterns listed as available for download and then have to wait for them to be posted by the publisher on at a time. Sorry do not wish to seem to be griping, but unless we speak up when we are concerned how else will the publisher know the customers feelings?
Lynn_d_2 wrote
on May 7, 2009 2:07 PM
I am Sooooo unhappy with this issue of Knits. If you're into "art wear" , I guess it could make you happy. But, the people I work & live with don't wear stuff like this. I haven't been happy with the patterns for the past year or so. Once my subscription is up, that's it for me. I'm really bummed by this.
Carol Y wrote
on Apr 25, 2009 12:17 PM
I'm trying to like more than what struck my fancy at first glance. I like Laura's Cardigan, but I'm trying to picture it without horizontal stripes. I'm not a dress person, but I like the top of the Great Gatsby dress. I like the boatneck and Grotto Wrap. Kalahari Tote is neat. Akomeogi Tunic is really unique - not sure I can afford that much linen tho! Lookign forward to seeing your socks!
DianeJ wrote
on Apr 25, 2009 5:41 AM
I would love to see the Cabled Raglan Baby Sweater in an adult size!!!!!!!!
bjbs wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 7:55 PM
I thought I was the only one who kepthaving my newsletter stop. It has happened to me at least twice. I haven't gotten a newsletter for at least a month. I looked and looked for an email address to report this; but was unable to find one; so I finally gave up. Now I check in every week or so--when I can remember it. So, if you can get me back on the email list I would appreciate it. I've noticed that my knitting has stopped as well and I need inspiration to get started again! Jean jsmith@smithgalleries.com
RitaF wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 1:31 PM
I see so many different yarns of so many various fibers and combinations of fibers. I don't know how to choose, what to expect! What attributes do these various yarns offer? What can I expect, say from tencel, or tencel blended with alpaca? Will this pill, shrink, loose its color? I think it's important to know because if I intend to wear this garment alot, I would not want a yarn that might pill. Or if it's a lacey, open design, will it sag or drape? Any inputs from anyone? What experiences have you had?
April wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 12:41 PM
Hi. I love your daily emails and now I am waiting for my first IK to come in the mail. The summer preview looks good. I love the yellow skirt, spidery tank, and grotto wrap. Looking forward to getting it. Keep up the good work. Alane
lisalovely09 wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 9:17 AM
Hi Everyone, I am looking for a Knitting Book in Spanish for my mom. I live in FL, I need all the help and suggestions you can give. Thank you so much for your help. Lisa
Suzanne wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 7:57 AM
I love the Knitting Daily E-mails. I have been inspired to learn to knit with 4 needles and have finished my first pair of sox. Well the pair is finished, but on the first one I did not quite follow the directions for the toe part. It is a little off, but the second sox is right. I am now working on the second pair of sox. Watching Baseball is a great time to use to knit. :) Eueny Jang has beautiful stuff. My question is are there any size 3-4X patterns in her work? I have not seen any yet. I live in Florida and need light weight patterns. Thanks, Suzanne
LisaB wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 7:41 AM
Wow! For the first time in about a year, an issue of IK contains more than two patterns I would consider making! There are some fun garments here that are also flattering -- or they will be when I knit them in a solid color instead of the horizontal stripes pictured in the original pattern. C'mon, designers: Horizontal stripes flatter about 2% of the female population. Take a rest, eh?
PatH wrote
on Apr 21, 2009 7:36 AM
You did not mean "summer is finally here!" You have to mean the summer issue is finally....! Where do you live? Here in Michigan, we are just beginning to believe that spring is really here. The daffodils have been blooming for about 2 weeks but the juncos (birds from Canada who winter in Michigan) have not yet left and the weatherman has indicated that we could have snow, tonight! The idea of summer knitting and knitting for summer is an inspiring one. I have been looking for a not too revealing tank top and the hole and trellis tank looks as if it would work ( if I made it a bit less clingy and longer). After knitting with size 2 needles this winter, a project with size 4 and 5's looks wonderful. Thanks for the preview, and the chuckle, summer? hah!
Annette wrote
on Apr 20, 2009 11:59 PM
Hi! i just took a look at the new patterns- did I see right- no socks? I'm turning more and more into a sock-knitter and was looking forward to the new pattern.
KathyD@4 wrote
on Apr 20, 2009 6:37 PM
Me, too! I can't figure out whom to contact about this. I miss my Knitting Daily post! Kathy D.
Rebecca S wrote
on Apr 20, 2009 2:42 PM
Hey! I am in the same boat - HELP!
Shar T8z wrote
on Apr 20, 2009 9:16 AM
Help! I stopped receiving my Knitting Daily e-mails about a month ago and I cna't, for the life of me, find a place on the site to resume my e-mails. How do I do it? WHen I try to re-register, it tells me that I'm already registered. I miss Sandi! Sharyn SharT8z@comcast.net