Free Pattern: Lace Scarf from Feminine Knits

Jun 12, 2009

I'm taking several summer trips in the near future, and of course, like any knitter, I'm planning what projects to take with me. It may sound daft, but my favorite airplane knitting is lace knitting. Really! I make sure I have a paper copy of the chart in a nice plastic sleeve, and I pin or clip that to the headrest of the seat in front of me. My project (always on circulars for travel), yarn, a small tin of markers, and some highlighter tape to mark my place on the chart all go into a small drawstring bag. I thread the seatbelt through the loop of the drawstring so the bag won't "go a-visiting" without permission, buckle up, and voila! Hours of losing myself in my knitting, completely oblivious to the snores of the man next to me or the nattering of the lovely lady behind me. Add an audiobook and it's almost as if the vacation starts early!

But a large lace shawl can be unwieldy on a trip--too many charts, and too much knitting to wrangle in a small airplane seat. So I'm always on the lookout for great lace scarf patterns, particularly those that use a single skein of a precious yarn that's been sitting in my stash just waiting for the right project to show it off.

This lace scarf from Interweave's book Feminine Knits fits the bill perfectly--it's light and airy in your lap, it takes only one skein of a gorgeous yarn (plus a second if you choose to add the elegant crocheted edging), and the chart is tiny and easy enough to take anywhere. Oh, and the pattern for the Lace Scarf is this week's free pattern from Knitting Daily. What could be better for a summer travel treat?

Download the free pattern for the Lace Scarf now.

For more more lacy, charming knitting patterns,
look for Feminine Knits at your local yarn shop, or order it here.

Sandi Wiseheart is the founding editor of Knitting Daily. She is now the author of the popular Knitting Daily blog: What's on Sandi's Needles.

Knitting Lace: Knitting Daily Presents 7 Free Knitted Lace Patterns

Are you addicted to lace knitting? Or maybe you've admired some of the gorgeous knitted lace patterns out there and want to give lace knitting a try? Here are seven of Interweave's top knitted lace patterns, gathered together in one FREE ebook for you.

Whether you are a first time lace knitter, or a seasoned expert, you'll enjoy the timeless beauty of knitting lace. Get these stunning projects that will continue to inspire, and be loved for generations to come. You'll want to make every one of these lace patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started (and don't forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!)

Download Your Free Lace Patterns Today

Comments

beagaracia wrote
on Jul 3, 2011 3:23 AM

I START THIS LACE SCARF AND QUIT BECAUSE I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CHART.  I THINK IT HAS AN ERROR ON ROW 9.

I FIND THE PROJECT IN MY CLOSET AND REALLY WANT TO TRY AGAIN.

NEED SOME HELP HERE!!! THANKS.

sunny71 wrote
on Aug 4, 2009 2:07 PM

For yarn alternatives, try Louet Euroflax (for edging) and Rowan Kidsilk Haze (for body).  This is but one possible substitution.

framboise123 wrote
on Jul 20, 2009 1:35 AM

hello, puis je avoir l'explication en français de la bordure au crochet de Lace scarf

je vous remercie à l'avance car je la trouve magnifique et j'aimerais beaucoup la faire. J'espère avoir des nouvelles merci merci merci.

Mary JuneM wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 8:05 AM

This is not a comment, but a question. Where can I find the yarn used in the Lace Scarf by Lene Holme Samsoe from Interweave Knits, Summer 2009?

Thank You Mary Murphy, email pmurphy353@aol.com.

WIBunky wrote
on Jun 14, 2009 7:40 PM
Respond to likeable911- I have never had problems with knitting needles. Now I only fly 3 to 4 times per year, but it has never been a problem. In fact, one year ago had #4 metal dpns and sailed through security.
Cath wrote
on Jun 14, 2009 1:16 PM
I am increasingly frustrated at trying to access these patterns to download. I keep getting errors that say the system is down or there's a problem with the server. And why do we have to go through 3 levels of login to get the free patterns?!
likeble911 wrote
on Jun 13, 2009 6:34 PM
I would also like to know how you got knitting needles through security, I got that answer from 2 people over the phone and in the written rules on the internet. Do you use wooden needles? I would love to crochet in the airport but dont want my hooks confescated!!
JackieA wrote
on Jun 13, 2009 12:59 PM
IT WOULD BE HELPFUL IF YOU OBTAINED PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR TO MAKE THEIR YARN SUBSTITUTION CHART (PAGE 126 OF THE BOOK) AVAILABLE FOR AMERICAN KNITTERS. JACKIE
Linda@2 wrote
on Jun 13, 2009 10:35 AM
MaryAnn. ssk..slip 2 sts and then knit the 2 sssk slip 3 sts then knit the 3 sts.
Jessica@3 wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 5:50 PM
I use to crochet lace, but prefer to knit now. I also like immediate gratification, so this is a perfect project for beginning to knit lace. Thank you for this pattern.
melinda-kq wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 4:50 PM
This is perfect for the Qiviut I picked up in Fairbanks a few years ago. Yikes, in 2004!
on Jun 12, 2009 4:25 PM
I found another pattern that explained Ssk. What is Sssk? I would like to make this for a summer gift. Looks so lovely!
C Peabody wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 2:49 PM
This is beautiful! Thanks so much, can't wait to knit it. Gonna have to go get the book, too.
Linda@2 wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 2:27 PM
Sandi...Thank you for lovely lace scarf pattern. Doing scarf and when finished going to use the pattern for shawl in a linen & silk thread. should turn out ok. Enjoy your site very much. Keep up the good work.
on Jun 12, 2009 2:16 PM
How in the world did you ever get past the security check with knitting needles?! I couldn't even get a large crochet hook through!
CelestaB wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 1:40 PM
Thank you so much, Sandi. The scarf is great plus I just finished a lace shawl and now want to add some edging to make it sturdier. This looks just right. Celesta
ZassZ wrote
on Jun 12, 2009 12:39 PM
A good idea. I recently posted in Forums under Your FAVorite Project Past or Present? a comment on adding a little lace work above the band of a hat I had just made. A little lace adds interest to any number of my favorite projects and smaller ones can be taken with me wherever I go.