Welcome to the NEW Knitting Daily!

Jun 17, 2009

Welcome to our new home--and yours!

For a while now, we've been working on moving Knitting Daily into a larger, prettier online home for everyone, with more goodies, more features, and more room to grow! And so today, with much pleasure, we are opening the doors and inviting you in to have a look around and find your favorite places, old and new!

A few highlights of the new Knitting Daily home:

Reader Galleries: That's right! You asked for them, and here they are, your very own place to upload your knitting photos and show off your stuff! You can even post your YouTube videos! I can't wait to see what you've been working on.

Blogs: Not only can you still find the familiar Knitting Daily blogs and tutorials, you'll soon be able to read blogs from your favorite magazine editors such as Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits and Lisa Shroyer, editor of Knitscene, as well as exciting guest bloggers. There will also be a blog from yours truly chronicling my own knitting adventures, an expansion of the popular "What's on Sandi's Needles?" section.

Videos: Knitting videos and how-tos from Knitting Daily TV and your favorite Interweave editors. Let the experts show you how!

Patterns tab: Take a look! (I love this part.) Here you can find individual listings--with photos!--of every pattern published back through 2007 in Interweave Knits, Knitscene, Felt, and Holiday Gifts, as well as the free patterns appearing on Knitting Daily TV and the Knitting Daily website! We're continuing to load older issues as fast as we can, so eventually you'll have an entire "catalog" of all Interweave patterns to browse through. Each pattern's listing will indicate whether it is free, available for sale in our pattern store, or no longer available; each listing will have yarn information, sizing, links to errata (if necessary) and a place for you to tell us what you think about the pattern.

An updated FAQ and Help section: A great place to find answers to all sorts of questions, from downloads to tags. There's a lot of helpful information here, so check this out if you need some help.

Community Center Feedback Forum: This is the place to tell us what you think of the new Knitting Daily site! Don't be shy, come on in and share your thoughts.

We’ve had many people do the heavy lifting to get KD ready for move-in day. We’ve moved almost everything from the old place, but now, some of those things may be found in different rooms. And just like moving into a real home, we’ll get the rest of the boxes unpacked, a little every day.

So welcome to the new Knitting Daily--and look for more goodies to come as we continue to "unpack our boxes" and get all the furniture moved into just the right place. Please leave a comment in the forums and let us know what you think! After all, this is your new home too. I hope you like it as much as we do.

-- Sandi Wiseheart
editor, KnittingDaily.com

Comments

LindaK@59 wrote
on Jun 19, 2009 11:11 AM

Congratulations on the new look!  Very pleased with the new format. Thanks

L.

conniepear wrote
on Jun 19, 2009 9:13 AM

Love it, love it, love it!  Thanks!

JaimeG wrote
on Jun 19, 2009 6:46 AM

JanL, we're working on getting the project photo thumbnails from the KnittingDaily TV patterns switched out to replace the photos from the set. It may take a few more days, but it's at the top of our wish list too!

JanL wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 4:57 PM

The free pattern section is much better, but PLEASE consider using thumbnail of the actual project. Showing a photo of the Knitting Daily crew is useless and it's hard to even tell what the pattern is.

RuthK wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 4:40 PM

Your new site looks pretty neat, but...  (isn't there always a "but"... <sigh>)

I am interested in the white short sleeved, diamond patterned pullover pictured 3rd from the left in the set of pix for the Knitting Patterns.  Searches on the pattern page don't yield anything.

I thought maybe it was a free pattern (wouldn't I be so lucky?) but that link doesn't seem to work.

I LOVE KD and look forward to it every day.

SusanH@132 wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 8:36 AM

What a nice design.   I like the new look!!

Only one specific request for me and other hearing-impaired viewers,...Wonder if you could add closed-captioned on the videos or add text.   I'm deaf and could not understand/hear what the people say at the videos.   I really want to know what they say.

Again, I really love your site so much.

Susan

SharonV wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 6:05 AM

Oh, I love what you've done with the place!

marshwiggle1 wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 4:08 AM

Also enjoying the fresh look, and I'm excited to read the blogs. I greatly missed Sandi's more personal notes in the daily emails. Glad to be able to read more from her in a more personal format. Yay!

SuzanneR@9 wrote
on Jun 18, 2009 1:15 AM

Hi Sandi

I love the idea of having all your patterns on line.  I spend a lot time looking through old issues to find something I have seen.

My  request is to please please please tag your patterns with some kind of a Plus identification for patterns which include sizes above a 46" bust.

When I finallly find a pattern that I like and  sizing shows an   XL OR 1X to be  38-40"   I flip my lid in frustration.  Many women over 50 have larger busts and upsizing from say a 40 to a 50-52 is fraught with error opportunities.

Just a tag that let's me look at only patterns which might fit me would be a huge help.

Thanks

Suzanne Rakow

Cynthia wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 10:09 PM

I love the new site.  It is very stylish with a lot more features.  What more could we ask for?  Thank you for not only revitalising the website, but also injecting the rest of us with your enthusiasm.

knitomatic wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 8:49 PM

what happened to the free patterns?  the crochet patterns are all missing and lots of the older knit freebies are missing too.

WattsC wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 7:54 PM

You were great tonight at Knitters Connection.  You're inspirational.  You Are Beautiful!  You're right, they're not flaws!

You were fun, funny and so real.  Thanks.  You made this event worthwhile.

I'll be visiting the new site.  It's easy to use.

NancyH@9 wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 7:37 PM

I love your new updated site.  It is fantastic.  I give it 5 stars.

laluna wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 6:39 PM

Wow, are you becoming a Flickr alternative? Congrats on the new look.

EzaraP wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 6:17 PM

I love the new design!

The overall design is fresh and contemporary and very "Web 2.0".  The designers deserve plenty of kudos for the new look!  The new navigation menu at the top makes locating desired content so much easier now.

I love the the redesigned gallery and I'm looking forward to the Reader's Gallery.

Last and certainly not least is the overall improvement in response time of the new site.

Everyone involved with this massive project has my appreciation!

Thanks Sandi!!!!!

NathalieH wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 5:55 PM

Wowsa!  I love the revamped look!  The color theme is very easy on the eyes, and the organizational tabs are fabulous!

Wonderful job!

ZassZ wrote
on Jun 17, 2009 3:05 PM

Wow what a welcome surprise!  This is so wonderful, can't wait to do a little exploring now and thank you - very lovely & lively.  It feels 'ALIVE' up in here now!