Early Sneak Peek: Knitscene Fall 2009

Jun 29, 2009

Note from Sandi: It's almost that time of year again--Knitscene time! Twice a year, we get to delight in the pages of a knitting magazine unlike any other--in the words of its editor, Lisa Shroyer: simple, stylish, spirited. Some wonderful and unexpected designs come out of this magazine, and so I am delighted to have Editor Lisa here to give us the inside scoop on what's ahead for us in the upcoming Fall 2009 issue of Knitscene...This is an exclusive sneak peek for our wonderful Knitting Daily readers, as the actual preview won't be released until the week of July 21st. So heeeeeeerrrrrrree's Lisa--enjoy!

Working on Knitscene is a peculiar experience for me. Most of the year I’m a back-room editor—crunching numbers on patterns, managing shot lists at photoshoots… Important work for sure, but not sexy. Then twice a year, this little magazine floats into my world and I get to play Editor with a big E. Play may be the wrong verb—it’s a lot of work—but it’s also a lot of fun.

As an editor grounded in knitting patterns, what’s my vision for this magazine?
-    The projects have to be about knitting more than anything else.
-    They need to be alluring and fun to make.
-    They need to celebrate yarn.
-    They need to be simple in construction but effective as fashion.

There are some designs in this issue that hit these points exceedingly—check out the Hollywood Herringbone Pullover by Kate Gagnon. It’s a cute, wearable project, worked in a sumptuous worsted-weight. Knitting the mosaic front piece is easy—instead of fussing with stranded colorwork in rows, Kate has chosen a slip-stitch two-color pattern that creates the look of Fair Isle. I love this sweater, from a stylistic and technical standpoint.

The Flourish Vest by Katya Wilsher is a tunic-length V-neck vest which will flatter lots of women, and the undulating cables are so much fun to work. Mixing up charts of differently-sized repeats is all it takes. In a true Aran weight, the knitting is quick.

Also in the Contemporary Cables section, we have two reversible scarves. So many knitters love cabled scarves, but detest the one-sided look. Try mixing knits and purls in a cable pattern to get a dual-sided effect!

All of these designers have worked hard to create projects that make sense technically, that are simple and fun to make, and that hit that sweet spot of chic and not-too-trendy. I hope you enjoy.

Also in this issue:
- Melissa Wehrle reinvents the boyfriend sweater
- Funky-construction wool yarns for rockstar looks
- How To: Read Lace Charts
- How To: Count rows between crosses in a cable
- Cowichan cool—the history of the trend and how to wear it

Look for the Knitscene online preview the week of July 21st; meanwhile, you can pre-order your copy now!

-- Lisa Shroyer

Sandi Wiseheart is the editor of Knitting Daily.

What's on Sandi's needles? Houston, we have a row of stars on the Star Light, Star Bright baby blankie! Now it's a few rows of stockinette and then it's to the stars, baby, to the stars...

Comments

Cirilia@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 7:18 AM

To Yvonne who is having trouble with the CD, it sounds like you might be using a CD player and not a CD-ROM drive? I'm very tech-challenged, so totally unqualified to give advice.

I happen to LOVE the Herringbone Sweater, I've been stalking it ever since Kate conceived it in 2006. It seems like it might not be for everyone but can we please remember that there are real people behind these designs (and real models wearing them). It upsets me to see the hard work of colleagues and friends trashed. Whatever happened to "not for me...."?

Val wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 6:13 AM

I like the sleek, graphic look of the herringbone sliptstitch sweater; it looks like it would be fun to knit.  I might make it with ¾ sleeves with a slit at the wrist, or some other subtle detail.  I do suspect that those narrow vertical lines of color will stretch out and distort when worn over a large bust or belly roll, drawing attention in the worst way. Some shaping might be called for, which would be either a pain to work out with that color pattern, or big fun, depending on whether you enjoy working out that kind of problem.  As for the vest, the thin young model look like a bowling pin wearing it.  Narrow on the top, big on the bottom.

CecilyG@2 wrote
on Jun 30, 2009 5:03 PM

The Herringbone Sweater is just stunning! Can I have the pattern NOW?

maryh@170 wrote
on Jun 30, 2009 2:49 PM

I think the herringbone sweater in particular is super cute! Though I like both styles - the vest looks cozy but is nicely fitted so that it isn't dowdy. :)

Laura@188 wrote
on Jun 30, 2009 11:44 AM

Hmmm,

If you really want to knit something that looks " home-made" , knit the herringbone! Speaking of old-fashioned...Not to mention the colors... This is not good for our knitting image!  In contrast to the beautiful patterns one usually sees on this side.

Laura

JillW wrote
on Jun 30, 2009 11:29 AM

In answer to NicolaG's question, you can't get there from here!  The pictures of the patterns in each issue are not in the Interweave Store site, which is where you go if you click on the magazine issue here.  But if you go to the regular Interweave.com site, and click on the magazine and issue you want, you can see each pattern, plus a supply list (yarn, amount, etc.) and bonus photos!  This sometimes gives you a better idea of what the sweater looks like than the magazine.  I just checked and the Knitscene site only has the spring issue up now, the fall issue is not there yet.

on Jun 30, 2009 10:08 AM

I would like to see some bulky knits for the winter.

Be Well

cocoapelly4044@aol.com

Eileen wrote
on Jun 30, 2009 6:22 AM

I am learning how to make my own patterns based on size and guage. I especially love Aran knits and would like to develop more patterns for the plus size market. After I work out the guage and pattern stitch count, etc. I'd like to offer the pattern for sale, possibly.

I love all the cables, bobbles and twists that can be cohesively placed to give you a wonderful sweater. Where would I look to offer the item for sale? I moderate a knitting forum already and could mention a blurb that brings them to a website where they can place an order. But how that all transpires I haven't the foggiest notion. A reference to an online seminar or book with ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SarahB@90 wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 7:59 PM

Agree with all comments above:

1. The Hollywood Herringbone is possibly the most dreary, dowdy object I have seen in a long time.  Not even the gorgeous model can pull it off. Flourish Vest slightly better but neither are tempting me to pre-order.

2. Without seeing all projects I wouldn't pre-order anyway - I always find it easy to get hold of the mag after it is on the newstand and can see if worth buying by reviewing all of the projects online first.

3. Why not offer the mag as an online option?  Or just offer all patterns in your online store as soon as it is published?  That way people like me who live in Asia can avoid paying more than the mag itself in postage and can download just the patterns they want.  At $5.50 a pop for an online pattern, Interweave will easily recover the same or more than the price of the mag if each customer orders 2 or more patterns online from each issue.

AnneG wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 6:35 PM

I love the Hollywood Herringbone sweater!  I agree with Julie@7 - why DON'T you make your magazines available digitally?  Then we all could all download it and print out only what we wanted!  Save the environment ... save money ... what's not to like?

NicolaG wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 5:46 PM

Is there still a page out there that shows pics of all the projects like you used to?  That's what makes me buy an issue of Knitscene.  Thanks!

Julie@7 wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 2:21 PM

I really want to get Knitscene, but why does a $7.99 magazine cost $5.39 to ship? C'mon, Interweave! This is absolutely ridiculous.

If you're going to charge these exorbitant shipping charges, at least offer a PDF download option like most other knitting magazines do. Or be honest and tell us straight out that the magazine costs almost $14 a piece!!!

AliceQ@2 wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 2:19 PM

I nominate these designs for "What Not to Knit."

If it still existed, I'd nominate them for "You Knit What?"

Yes, it's hard to come up with good designs all the time, but these things are hideous.  Period.  I tremble to look at them.

Yvonne wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 2:14 PM

Hi there; another comment from Yvonne Bresnahan from NH to my much loved staff. Alol of the files on the CD are empty.

Could you please send me a new one as requested in my other note today. Thanking you in advance...and if this is not possible please refund my money.

Yvonne Bresnahan

mamayum@aol.com or weloveourhorses@aol.com

Yvonne wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 2:07 PM

I really enjoyed downloaded many of your patterns SO I ordered the CD called

"2007 Collection CD with the bonus from Interweae Knits".

I have received the CD in a good timely fashion and got all primed up to see the CD BUT it would not open. I have a new machine and have had no problems with any other CD's.

You are a wondeerfl group of really hard working people so I know that you would want to solve this problem and also help this senior woman who has cancer and therefore, trying to make things for her grandchildren and children as heirlooms.

Could you please send me a new CD and pre check it before mailing. I am hoping that I am the only person that this has happened to. My machine reads check disc. I have taken it ot and wiped it and retried over and over in my machine and before I send this I will try this in my computer and hope that it works in here. And if this works I will apologize but perhaps you might want to place a note with the order form.

Yvonne Bresnahan

154 Meetinghouse Road

Bedford NH 03110

603-867-1221

LynneW wrote
on Jun 29, 2009 1:37 PM

Is it just me, or do both of those models look somewhat lopsided? Is it the new fashion for models to hitch one shoulder (the left, in both cases here) waaaaaay up so everything is pulled off-balance? They look so uncomfortable (I'm getting a crick in my neck just looking at them!) that I can't properly appreciate the garments.