New Adventures in Knitting . . . Daily

Jul 1, 2009

Three years ago, when Interweave asked me to be editor of Knitting Daily, they gave me a phenomenal opportunity to learn from and share with knitters from all over the globe. My job as editor was to help build a vibrant online community; but it wasn't long before I discovered that I was merely the cheerleader—YOU were the ones actually making Knitting Daily a wonderful place for knitters to call home. And what an amazing home you've built!

Along the way, you've been great teachers; together we have learned things about life and yarn and knitting and laughter that have enriched our knitting as well as this larger craft we call life.

So methinks it's time to see what happens next! And one thing that happens next is that starting today, I’m stepping aside as your editor and moving into a new role here—which means that we all get a new editor! We’re in good hands—"Oh, the places we'll go!" with Kathleen as our guide.

This might seem like goodbye...but it's not! Remember I said I was moving into something new? So many of you have told me that you love the wee short tidbits next to my photo that I’m going to expand "What's on Sandi's Needles?" into a regular knitting blog. Every week, I'll be sharing my own knitting adventures with you right here on Knitting Daily, alongside other new knitting blogs that we’re adding to the site. I hope you'll stop by, leave a comment, and then go and explore all the other great things Knitting Daily has to offer—things that you helped to bring to life.

Much gratitude and many blessings to all of you—and a warm welcome to Kathleen!

Sandi Wiseheart

***

Hello Knitting Daily Community!

I’m thrilled to be here with you, exploring the wealth of resources and products Interweave has to offer, as well as the Knitting Daily Community. I’ll be writing to you from my home office in Spokane, Washington.

I’ll bet you’re asking, “What exactly are your knitting creds to be the editor of Knitting Daily?” Well, I’ve been a member of Knitting Daily since the beginning, eagerly opening emails every day, just like you! I’ve learned so much from Sandi and Interweave’s great resources; Knitting Daily has increased my confidence and my passion for knitting. I’ve also been in publishing for twenty years, as an editor and a production manager, so combining my professional interests with my passion for knitting is really a dream come true.

I’ve always been crafty. I learned at my mom’s elbow as she knitted, embroidered, and macraméd her way through the 70s; sewed, serged, and painted in the 80s; and paper-crafted in the 90s and 2000s. Cross stitch became my favorite craft and I as moved from silly sayings and characters to intricate samplers and art deco designs, I thought I’d be cross stitching forever. Enter knitting. . .

When my mom’s best friend, Pat Harris, opened up a knit shop in Hendersonville, Tennessee, she came to Seattle—where I was living at the time—to visit the yarn shops (there are a ton of them in Seattle—if you haven’t done a yarn crawl there, get to it).

I’d been curious about knitting, and Pat said she’d teach me the basics. She spent an afternoon with my sister and me teaching us to knit and purl, and I took to it pretty naturally. I continued on my own, with one of my first reference guides, The Knitter’s Companion, at my side. I tried different stitch patterns, yarn, and needle sizes and types. I wasn’t knitting anything in particular, I was just knitting. I loved the repetitive nature of stockinette stitch as much as I enjoyed the challenge of a stitch pattern. After a few weeks I decided to knit a baby sweater, so I went to my LYS and bought yarn and needles. The rest is history, especially for my cross-stitch projects.

I’m now an avid sweater knitter (you’ve all knit the Central Park Hoodie, right?), taking breaks every now and then for a pair of socks or a felted project. I also teach knitting classes at my Spokane LYS, A Grand Yarn.

I’m addicted to all things knitting, including magazines, books, and online magazines, patterns, and blogs. I’m so excited to become part of the online knitting world, taking over the reins so deftly handled by Sandi. I look forward to becoming a big part of your community, bringing you new techniques, projects, author introductions, tips and tricks, videos, knit-a-longs, insider’s info about new products—basically, a host of information to increase your confidence and enhance the joy of knitting.

Here’s to new adventures ahead!

Kathleen Cubley

Comments

on Aug 14, 2010 10:55 AM

I cant find where to sign up for your  newsletters after changing my email :(

SaraZ wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 11:55 AM

Welcome and best wishes for your editorship!  Just wanted to remind you of your other great LYS in Spokane:  Sew EZ Too.  (We're not just fabric!)

KarenWerme wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 10:07 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Great Introduction!

I finally got to the job of signing on!

Karen

knittingbox wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 10:34 PM

Sandi I think you've done an amazing job with Knitting Daily. Your energy, excitment and charm came through on every post.  Without you there may never have been a knitting daily, and it certainly wouldn't be the one we know and love so much.

I can't wait to hear more about your projects. I always loved that part, too.

on Jul 3, 2009 2:35 PM

Welcome Kathleen,

Sandi you will be missed, but I look forward to your Blog and perhaps you could help me find a sweater pattern (empire waist, mostly cream with some purple) that you were working on that is NOT in the list of cardigan and jackets that I can find.  I'd really love to see if you finished and where to find the pattern.  Thanks a million

Ashley

ashley@ashleyfineart.com

BarbaraMS wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 5:09 AM

Welcome Kathleen!  I love reading daily notes from Sandi and I am so new at this, that I am glad for any and all input!  Sandi, thanks for the info and good luck in your new venture.  Kathleen, I can't wait to see what will be coming!

Happy days,

Barbara

Pat Harris wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 10:44 AM

Sandi... what a lovely hand-off and welcome to Kathleen.   I will miss you and wish you all the best in your new daily adventures in , as you said, this wonderful craft we call life.

My very first Knit-A-Long was with Kathleen's Mom.  We were 16 and knitting argyle socks for our boyfriends.  High motivation for a couple of 16 year-olds......and that was a long time ago.

Kathleen...It was such a  delight to get to knit with you and your sister.

Congratulations!  I'm very excited for you and for all of us.  I think we all

have a real treat in store for us.

ednamay wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 9:14 AM

Living in the UK, I am finding it fascinating to read all your comments and advice.  My arthritis makes it difficult for me to handknit nowadays (I do the occasional sock and hope to manage to do its partner!)  But I am hoping to get back to machine knitting, my friend has promised to lend me her motor to ease the strain on my shoulders.

I subscribe to a very good knitting magazine over here, Machine Knitting Monthly - we used to have about six mags, MKM is the only one left.  You can access it through mail@machineknittingmonthly.net, the editor is Anne Smith, a lovely lady.

Yours,     Ednamay

Bli wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 9:00 AM

Sad to see you go Sandy,best wishes for your new knitting adventure,and a warm welcome to Kathleen.Best wishes from Bliin Portugal.

yarncrazy102 wrote
on Jul 2, 2009 7:48 AM

Welcome Kathleen!  Good to see you at Knitting Daily.  I'm down in Lewiston, Idaho.  It's good to see someone from the Inland Northwest casting on at Knitting Daily.  I'm looking forward to your added flavor to knitting with, maybe, the addition of patterns weather appropriate in this side of the mountains!

Sandi, you've done an awesome job as editor!  During a dropped stitch in my life, due to health problems, your selection of patterns and inspirations has renewed my love of knitting.  I'm looking forward to reading your blog. Thank you for all your hard work!

JoyJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 11:47 PM

Sandy, I will miss you on Knitting Daily, but will enjoy reading more from What's on your Needles.

Kathleen, welcome to Knitting Daily.. you sound like you will have lots of fun here!

TerriLynnC wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 9:48 PM

Sandi, I want to add my best wishes--thanks for all the great work!  I joined Knitting Daily in order to explore knitting in more depth (I have always been more of a crocheter who knits), and you have really sparked an interest in knitting through all of your entertaining entries.  Thanks again!

And welcome, Kathleen, from a neighbor to your east, across the border in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.   It's going to be fun to read postings from someone so close by!  I look forward to getting acquainted.

BarbaraR wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 7:26 PM

Congratulations to both of you. This is the first internet blog I ever felt called me, by your humor Sandi and the inspired knits. i now make items to sell under the name the Wooley Knot; see how you inspired many of us!  Have fun with your own column and welcome to Kathleen as you use your great background and love of craft to inspire us further

Best to you both

barbara

on Jul 1, 2009 6:26 PM

Welcome Kathleen.  I will miss Sandi's comments.She has such a great sense of humour.  I will visit her needles post.  Good luck Sandi!

rachelyoung wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 4:54 PM

Looking forward to your new blog, Sandi, as I've always loved those little tidbits about what's on your needles as well.

And welcome to Kathleen - you sound like you are a true knitting addict.  You've inspired me to do a "yarn crawl" next time I visit my sister in Seattle.....

tikhea wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 4:29 PM

Say it isn't so Sandy.....: (  I was surprised that I felt so strongly that Sandi is leaving.....I always looked forward to her comments, what was on her needles and all the helpful hints and resources...I so looked forward to getting me e-mail and seeing what Sandi was up to.... it was like catching up with an old friend over a cup of tea....but times change and things evolve in their own time...including us....I only wish you all the best Sandi...and I look forward to making a new "yarn friend" of Kathleen.....peace

on Jul 1, 2009 3:43 PM

Congratulations Kathleen! Sandi what will we do without you in the galleries? I always looked forward to you trying on the showcased sweaters! How about a more "full-figured" Bertha? Good luck to both fortunate ladies. I look forward to Sandi's columns and Kathleen's energy.

on Jul 1, 2009 3:11 PM

Kathleen

We are so proud of you here at "The Neighborhood Knit Shop"  Our ladies should remember you from helping us get our sock club started.  You are great!  Pat Harris is special to us in this community and in our neighborhood.  We will be keeping up for sure and you are welcome in our Neighborhood at any time.  Sharon, mgr. The Neighborhood Knit Shop, Hendersonville. TN.

KariD wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 3:10 PM

Congratulations to you Sandi! Sounds as though you have something up your sleeve and we will have the benefit of finding out all about it with your blog!  Woo hoo! Inspire away!

Welcome to your new role at KD, Kathleen.  We are a passionate group and look forward to learning more about you...daily!

Judy@10 wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 3:05 PM

Welcome Kathleen.....Your expertise and diversified 'crafting' background will make you a wonderful replacement for our wandering Sandi.  Good Luck and Good Knitting.

Judy Vianna

on Jul 1, 2009 3:00 PM

Welcome Kathleen, looking forward to your posts!

Jenn

on Jul 1, 2009 2:21 PM

Aw, shucks, folks! Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm so excited to be here with you.

Talk to you SOON! Like on Friday. . .

Kathleen

remove wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 2:13 PM

Aaargh. Mechanics, mechanics, mechanics... and that's all I have to say.

FiberFriend wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 2:03 PM

Did she say that KD has been going on for THREE YEARS?  It doesn't feel that long.  Maybe that's when they started planning for it.

FiberFriend wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 1:59 PM

A warm knitterly Welcome to Kathleen!

Sandi - so sad to see you go.  I hope you will fill in for Kathleen when she needs a break.  And, I especially hope you will include your new spinning experiences on your new blog.  That is the next part of the fiber world I am trying to take on.    What else will you be doing other than blogging?

Kathleen, do you spin?  If not, let's learn together.  Also, do you crochet?  An old favorite of mine.

(Pre-emptive comment:  Yes, I know there is a Spin-off community now, and CrochetMe - I visit there too.  But there is something to be said for cross-posting, for analysis of interaction between the crafts).

TrishaJ wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 1:56 PM

Good luck to you! Good luck to Sandi And thanks for all you both do for the knitting community!

April wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 1:43 PM

Sandi, I have enjoyed all of your daily emails and will miss them.  Kathleen, glad your here and looking forward to hearing from you.  Best wishes for both of you.

GerdaP wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 1:28 PM

You are so fun to follow Kathleen, I too was a cross stitch addict, you should see all of my stash...I am thinking about translating some of the designs into a Fair Isle based project.

Let's get together and show and tell all of our past craft loves!

Take care, Gerda

Jason wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 1:11 PM

It is grand when things change for the better!  I am very excited to see that even more magic has been added to Knitting Daily, and Kathleen defiantly bring just that.

Sandi, I like everyone else am very excited to read about your new adventures!  Your passion for knitting, yarn, and life inspires many, including me.

It is exhilarating to see you with your talent, put your energy in new directions!

Congratulations to you both!

AlysiaM wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 12:46 PM

Exciting changes! A big, warm welcome to Kathleen, and Sandi, thanks so very much for all the inspiring energy that you gave us as editor. I've been loving Knitting Daily since the start, and am looking forward to both Sandi and Kathleen's new adventures!!

strabuls wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 11:46 AM

We'll miss you at the helm, Sandi, but are looking forward to getting acquainted with Kathleen, too, and also checking out Sandi's new blog!  Good luck to both of you in the new ventures!

DianaB wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 11:40 AM

Welcome Kathleen!  We're practically neighbors, I live in Wenatchee :)

-Diana

www.craftycougknits.blogspot.com

LauraK wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 11:28 AM

I was all ready to write a "strong" letter to KD about Sandi's move but am even more excited that she is going to do "What's on Sandi's needles"...I enjoy reading anything Sandi writes and find her to be humorous, down-to-earth and informative....she has a FUN writing style that I just LOVE!.    So good luck in your new role Sandi, I look forward to to reading about your adventures! ....and good luck to you Kathleen in your new position as editor......try to keep the advertising down a bit!...=)

on Jul 1, 2009 11:26 AM

Congrats, Kathleen! It was a pleasure working with you in your former position and I can't wait to see what you do with Interweave!

NancyB@139 wrote
on Jul 1, 2009 11:13 AM

Awesome Kathleen.  It's great to have a local knitter become editor.

Nancy Olfs