Circular Knitting: Jogless Stripes

Jul 3, 2009

I don’t know about you, but I’m a visual learner. I can read step-by-step instructions ‘til the cows come home, but I rarely get it right without photos or—even better—a video. In the new season of Knitting Daily TV (which starts at the end of July), co-host and Interweave Knits editor Eunny Jang hosts a new segment called “Getting Started.” She demonstrates basic and not-so-basic techniques to get you started on new projects.

One of these techniques has to do with knitting in the round. I love to knit striped hats in the round. Stripes are an easy and fast way to add color to a project, and a great way to use up those little bits hanging out in your stash, too!

The problem with knitting stripes in the round is that you get a little jog in the color—the first stitch in the row above a color change is actually the last stitch of the previous row of color, so it looks like you didn’t change colors soon enough. (This happens because when you’re knitting in the round you’re actually knitting a spiral, not a circle.)

When I complete a hat I always notice these jogs, but I've never known what to do about them. And, between you and me, I’m not a perfectionist knitter, so I give it the old shoulder shrug and move on.

However, even non-perfectionists enjoy improving their skills, so when I saw the Getting Started segment about jogless stripes in circular knitting, I was intrigued. In this clip, Eunny shows us two ways to avoid the jog with a slip-stitch technique that works for any width of stripe and the “barber-pole” technique for single-round stripes.

Knitting Daily is just starting in Spokane, so I have a lot to look forward to. I've cleared off my TiVo and set it up to record all of the new shows, but if your TiVo (or DVR, or whatever) is sometimes cranky like mine is, preorder the new season's DVDs below! You'll be able to watch your favorite segments again and again, and when you need a little help, Eunny's excellent technique segments will be right at your fingertips.

And check out the behind-the-scenes fun at Knitting Daily TV in the new blog Tuned In to Knitting Daily TV.

Comments

Delores@8 wrote
on Jul 21, 2009 1:08 PM

Wonderful video-I"Ve learned a new technique after 70 yrs of knitting!!! Thanks.Dee T.

MargaretJ wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 4:43 AM

Never mind - it just took 10 min to download on DSL

MargaretJ wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 4:43 AM

Has the video been removed?  It won't run in either Firefox or IE.  Any suggestions?

fontrella wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 2:48 PM

I love this tip. Also you knit real fast, I think that is great. I am waiting on myself to knit that fast. I am still getting use of knitting. I can crochet quickly cause I have done it for years.

KathyM@4 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 5:23 PM

Excellent video- I'm anxious to give it a try.  However, on the first row , when I am joining the ends to make the round I  ALWAYS end up with a gap at the join spot.  What am I doing wrong??

on Jul 8, 2009 2:37 PM

Love the barber pole that is absolutely the coolest! Why didn't I think of that?

on Jul 8, 2009 2:35 PM

Sheryl, go on youtube and look up continental knitting. That's how I knit and I love it! It is easier plus I have carpal tunnel and it used to be that I would have to shake off my hands after only about 10 minutes of knitting, but with continental, I can knit as long as my heart desires (or until my dh wants his dinner, he he) Added bonus, it looks really cool and when you knit with 2 colors you can use one color and knit con. and use the other color and knit regular. Talk about impressive looking. And really it is so easy. It just makes people think you are a whole lot smarter than you are. (or I am)

Also, look up on youtube for fastest knitter if you think that is fast! There is a woman there who is really insane!

NildaP wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 5:17 AM

Excellent tutorial, thanks Eunny!!!

I have plenty of DPN, but since I started using circular I'm stuck on the magic loop for toe-up, and cuff down socks and with the addi turbo lace .... my goodness!!!!  For me socks seem to knit themselves.  lol, no, this is not paid advertisement, I am just so wonderfully pleased at the many ways a knitter could get the same project done...knitting is more user-friendly than I could ever have imagined.

NP -- Allentown, PA

on Jul 6, 2009 8:37 AM

Watching videos on the internet is how I learned to knit two years ago.  I started out knitting a friend's baby blanket in garter stitch, and now I'm knitting socks!  I've found it's easier to read those step-by-step instructions now that I know what it's supposed to look like; I just have to ignore those little drawings most of the time, or I get confused.

For some reason though (I'm thinking because it's a YouTube video and I'm at work), I'm not able to watch this one.  After the comments, I'm really, really excited to watch it, since I love learning new techniques, and I just finished a little purse that I did in the round using two different colors.  I would like to know how to avoid those jogs in the future!

LynnR@2 wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 8:29 AM

You can have stripes that are more than one row high using the spiral "jogless jog" technique on socks. Rather than using 4 different colors, use two. Start with one color on two needles, and the other color on the other two needles, and you will have two row stripes. Start with one color on three needles and one color on the last needle, and you will have 3 rows in one color, and one row in the other color.

DD2Roberge wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 7:43 AM

Enjoyed the video.  Been knitting for over 40 years and can still learn new things.  Please keep them coming. Thanks

Kitty3 wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 9:13 PM

Ena,

I had the same problem a month or two back and found this site useful

barney.gonzaga.edu/.../crochrnd.html

mogurt wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 12:58 PM

Eunny, these are both great techniques to even out stripes. Thank you very much!

I can't wait for your show to come to my town. Pam, Reno,

mogurt wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 12:58 PM

I can't wait for your show to come to my town. Pam, Reno,

ReneeD@4 wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 7:14 AM

thank you - what wonderful hints !!!  I love all your helpful videos.  RD

LorraineF@2 wrote
on Jul 5, 2009 3:42 AM

Hi Kathleen, I have Dial-up Internet and it won't play video's, do you have written instructions for the stripes on Circ needles?  I would very much appreciate them if you do.

Love the patterns, but most of them are beyond me, I have just learnt to knit on Circ needles and love them as they take the weight off your arms. I appreciate the free projects as am on a limited budget. I enjoy looking at the styles etc. Thank you, lorraine123.

juanita@19 wrote
on Jul 4, 2009 8:33 AM

What a great tip. Now, Eunny, slow down and teach us the Kitchener stitch on video. I really have a problem with this!

BarbaraG wrote
on Jul 4, 2009 7:08 AM

I learned Continental style from my mother when I was 12 in 1961. She learned it from her Polish aunt - from Poland - and we called it the "German" style.  So that's the only style I know. I've tried to teach it to some other American style knitters, it can be finger twisting - especially the purls.  I wrap my yarn differently around my left hand/fingers than Eunny, but her method seems to work better for purling (I've seen on other videos) and I might try it.   BTW - I've learned to make socks using the Magic Loop - toe up, 2 at a time - wonderful method of casting on.  I prefer short row heels to heel flaps. There are some videos on YouTube for this.  Also, Eunny is not the fastest knitter - there's actually a fastest knitter contest and I've seen some videos that the fingers seem to blur. Just search for fastest knitter and you'll be amazed!

Joyceteje wrote
on Jul 4, 2009 5:07 AM

Very nice video.

I have a question about thick color stripes. Do you only slip a stitch in the first row of the stripe and continue knitting the other first stiches of the next rows? Or do you skip the first stitch of every other row?

Thanks,

Joyce.

Kasoli wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:01 PM

Thanks for this video. I've got an article on jogless stripes but I'd rather have this video. I usually use videos and pictures to figure out what I'm doing with a stitch too. Reading usually doesn't quite work.

DebbieS@4 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 8:37 PM

I watched the video without sound (long story there), and found it wasn't visual at all.  There was a lot of pointing at stripes, presumably with detailed verbal comments, and then flashing needles - I was watching in slow motion and couldn't tell a thing about the techniques.  Could we have clear written instructions with a few photos or line drawings instead?  I love the tips, but have been disappointed in the videos I've seen.

GloriaW wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 6:22 PM

I believe it is her regular speed. If you watch the video you can see her mouth move when she is speaking but her fingers are still moving lightening fast. I think she just knits that fast. I thought I was a fast knitter but she has me beat. I think I saw her on Knitty Gritty too, she knitted just as fast if that was her, and she must be the fastest knitter on record. knitting in the Continental style is significantly faster than the regular style.There are many free videos online that show how to do it.

Gloria

Boise Idaho

on Jul 3, 2009 6:18 PM

Thanks, Eunny!  Love to watch you knit and thanks for posting this as we don't get your program in Southwest Washington State, yet (we get Portland, OR stations).  To the posters, I think Eunny's voice would have sounded like she'd been inhaling helium and talking in FF mode if they sped up the video (notice she is talking while she is knitting).  She truly is a fast knitter and continental knitting helps a lot.  I took a class in continental knitting and my $20 was well-spent, especially knitting ribbed patterns.  Wow! - what a time-saver.  Good luck you knitsters and thanks again, Eunny and Knitting Daily.

Danielle in Camas, WA

graciemae@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 5:58 PM

OK, I have been knitting for years but I have never seen anyone knit that fast, I was so into watching her knit that I did not pay any attention and had to watch it again.

Dori in Farmington

Diane G wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 4:03 PM

Several of you mentioned downloading the pattern for the Jogless Stripes in the Round. I went to the pattern section of Knitting Daily TV and could not find it. Can someone please head me in the right direction.

Loved the video and the tips. I tried Meg Swanson's method one time and got so confused............

Thanks, Sissy

LynneC@17 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 3:51 PM

This is a great technique that I enjoyed learning about.

Fdxcsa wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 2:30 PM

Very nicely done will have to sit and knit in this style.  You knit like my Grandmother did.   Very fast.   I will never be able to be that fast.

Maybe watching your video will instill that in me.

Can you recommend:  I good 100% cotton for socks.   I am allergic to wool.  I cannot wear the Super Washed either.

I broke out to my elbows, going to a class to help me with Short Rows.  I did them as a child.  However, I think I am doing them wrong and everyone has told me - Just Ignore them and knit.   I paid a lot of money to be giving needles in the round and bright orange wool thread.  The thread was extremely to small to see what you were doing -- She could not even read Her pattern.   I have not been back in that store.   She is a regular teacher there.

Thank-you

Sally Ann@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 12:17 PM

I , like the Lagram, marvel at the speed of Eunny. I watch the program on

Saturday morning from Palm Springs. Eunny is so fast though that it is hard

to follow her. Could she do a video and make it just a little slower?  I am so

happy that you are doing these. I can't wait until the next one. Thank you

kindly.

Sally Ann, in

San Juan Capistrano CA

SueM@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 12:04 PM

For Sheryl in N Idaho:

www.knittingdaily.com/.../finishing-tip-for-those-who-hate-the-kitchener-stitch.aspx

instructions for a knitting grafting of the sock toe...so easy!!  I've used it on two pair already.

Eunny, you rock!

Sally Ann@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 11:54 AM

I watch the shows every Saturday, and have alwsys marveled at the

speed Eunny has. Like LAGram, I would love to see her in slow motion.

This video thing is WONDERFUL.

Thanks Sally Ann,

San Juan Capistrano, CA

DebA@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 11:47 AM

I love these video's. They make knitting so much more fun. I think it is interesting how you hold your yarn.

mickowitz wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 10:47 AM

LOL!!!  Is Eunny's lightning-fast knitting really just speeded up?!? And all this time I was in awe at that superhuman knitting speed. But I can see that the Continental style is definitely a faster, more efficient method, and I'd like to know if Eunny has a "real-time" demonstration of how she does her knitting? I'd like to try to learn her method.

JOY@2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 10:38 AM

Hi: The fast knitting is a "speed-up" of the camera--although the knitting method she is using is a very fast one also. Holding the yarn in the left hand is called "continental" knitting--there are videos on YouTube. There are several different ways to continental.  There are lots of chemo patterns on the web--just google chemo knitted patterns, or some such thing until you find what you want. Kitchener stitch is not "bad" once you get it--just follow visual instruction in a book and walah! Anyway, if one knits socks from the toe up Kitchener is NOT necessary. There are several methods for knitting the toe on toe-up socks. Hope this helps a little.

Lori@92 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 10:34 AM

I love the  new video clips...I'm a visual person too.  Thanks!

Lori@92 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 10:33 AM

I love the  new video clips...I'm a visual person too.  Thanks!

JanH@29 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 10:30 AM

Loved the video and techniques!  Thank you for posting the video.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching Eunny speed knitting!  Wow!  Usually that's the less-than-exciting part of knitting videos ~ watching/waiting for the instructor to knit across the needles to finally reach the highlighted technique.  Not this time ~ Eunny had my complete attention from start to finish.

Sheryl ~ holding the yarn in the left hand is called Continental knitting.  I'm sure there are videos online, but there are also several good DVDs on the market, too.  I learned Continental many years ago and it really increased my knitting speed.  Plus, it's great fun to know the technique when doing Fair Isle knitting.  One color in the left hand (Continental), one color in the right (American) ~ and your knitting just flies!

Brandy ~ many thanks for the link for Jared's hat.

smiley8 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:28 AM

The video was great!!!  Much better than just reading directions.

Thanks much and keep up the good work...it is appreciated.

BlueJaye2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:24 AM

I couldn't get the video to work. But thanks, BrandyD. I downloaded the pattern and now I think I will be able to knit jogless stripes in the round. I really like knitting in the round. It saves so much completion time. No side seams to join. I knitted my last sweater in the round and all I had to sew were the sleeves. So much easier.

jakatac

BlueJaye2 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:22 AM

I couldn't get the video to work. But thanks BrandyD. I downloaded the pattern and now I think I will be able to knit jogless stripes in the round.

BrandyD wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:07 AM

This is a great tutorial, but I still prefer the method on Jared's blog; BrooklynTweed...

I just think it looks neater, smoother and cleaner.

brooklyntweed.blogspot.com/.../turn-square-pattern-now-available.html

You have to download the pattern to get the method but even more worth it.

Also, to webbsh3: About knitting with the yarn on the left hand..

I personally have always knit that way; I learned to crochet as a child, and held the yarn in the left and the hook in the right.. I likened my knitting technique to that common crochet technique and it was much easier. Faster and less fumbly as well.

Hope that helps! :O)

EnaS wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 9:02 AM

Fantastic, Eunny!

How do I eliminate the jog when CROCHETING a hat in a spiral(not joining each rnd.) while changing colors? Sometimes I'd like to do something interesting to the hat by adding  another color but Idon't like that jog. Is there a source where I can find out?  Thanks!

ENA

Dina@11 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 8:55 AM

Happy Day!

I've read all sorts of little "tips" on doing jogless stripes, but have been so confused by it all!  THANK YOU!  Actually getting to see it done is SO helpful!

And I'm loving that barber pole thing!  Definitely going to give that a run!

Dina

on Jul 3, 2009 8:54 AM

Dang! And I thought I was a fast knitter. Eunny, girl, you are FAST!

on Jul 3, 2009 8:34 AM

I loved the video also.  I have been trying to knit jogless-ly for years with the help of Meg Swanson.  Somehow, my attempts to eliminate jogs always looked less than perfect.  Thanks, Euny.  Also those single row stripes are wonderful.  I can't wait to try these new techniques.

lagram wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 8:24 AM

A video is the way to go.  I am knitting a sock hat in the round, and that demo just solved my stripe problem.

By the way, it is wonderful for someone to be able to  knit with such speed, but if she does another demo, COULD SHE PLEASE SLOW DOWN WITH THE KNITTING.

Lagram

Lpatrick_99 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 7:46 AM

I really appreciate the video clip. I hope you continue to have these every once in a while. Looking forward to the new season of Knitting Daily.

Linda in San Francisco

KrisC@7 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 7:40 AM

Wow...I have never seen someone knit so fast - incredible!

Great tips on working with color - thank you!

KLH wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 7:01 AM

Yee-ha! Thanks much for this demo. I'm going to start a seamless sweater w/ color-pattern yoke (knit circular using the Elizabeth Zimmerman EPS method) and this will eliminate the irritating jog I had to work so hard to hide in the pattern last time.

Gerdybenzing wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 6:52 AM

That sure does make it so much easier to understand.

webbsh3 wrote
on Jul 3, 2009 6:34 AM

Loved the video!  But ... Yikes!  I have never seen anyone knit so fast.  No wonder I still have my sock on the dp's after three years.  Is there a video that shows how to knit holding the yarn in your left hand?  Also, how about that dreaded Kitchener stitch?

Does anyone have a favorite lace weight chemo type cap pattern?  I'm looking for one that isn't heavy or thick, maybe looks like lattice work.  I will use my very own cashmere lace weight yarn.

Thanks for the interesting and informative videos!  Keep 'em coming!

Sheryl in N Idaho