Knitscene: Fall 2009 Preview

Jul 22, 2009

A note from Kathleen: It's here! It's here! The new issue of Knitscene is available at your local yarn shop or bookstore as we speak. This issue is absolutely full of cutting-edge designs and information that you'll all want to have at your fingertips as you start your fall knitting. I have a huge bag of alpaca that's been mocking me for months now, and I think I've found the perfect project: the Emerald Isle Cardigan by Melissa Wherle. I need a new fall jacket and I love the cuff detail on this beauty. I really need that alpaca to get off my back, too, so I'm going to talk to it tonight about its new incarnation.

Knitscene editor extraordinaire Lisa Shroyer is here to introduce this jam-packed issue, and we're starting a Knitscene blog, too, so check KnittingDaily.com to see the first post in "Inside Knitscene." Lisa and other Knitscene folks will share insight into what makes Knitscene so special. Lisa is also going to post occasionally about upsizing patterns from Interweave Knits and Knitscene (Lisa brought us the plus-sized version of The Central Park Hoodie), and talk about myriad techniques, patterns, and interesting knitterly topics.

So here's Lisa!

I love this new Knitscene. From graphic colorwork to looping cables to simple plains of stockinette, these projects really hit that sweet spot of chic and oh-my-goodness-I-have-to-knit-that. If you're a knitter who enjoys each and every stitch, you'll find engaging patterns here. If you're a knitwear maven, like our own Kate Sonnick (Stylespotting), you'll find trend-relevant and wearable pieces. The projects range from beginner to intermediate, with most patterns falling in the advanced-easy category.

The photoshoot for this issue took place over a dreary, rainy, snowy week in April, in Denver, Colorado. Because of the weather, we shot a lot of the projects in the studio. I love working in the studio--the photos are all about the knitted garments. There's no distraction. And the final look is so clean and contemporary.

When we weren't in the studio, we shot at the Loveland Feed & Grain, an 1890s agricultural building in historic Loveland, Colorado. The peeling paint on brick, the rusted metal, the railroad tracks, all slick with rain that April day, lent a sense of history and romantic grit to the projects in the Graphic Elements story. Though the weather made for miserable working conditions, the final images really capture a kind of drama--from the cloud cover and the models being freezing but gritting their teeth through it! I wouldn't change a thing, now. Of course, it's July in the South where I am right now, and those April temperatures are a distant memory.

What is Knitscene?

Knitscene is a special magazine that comes out twice a year from Interweave, featuring easy, stylish projects that are fun to make. We work with themed storylines in Knitscene; in this issue, we present:

+ Contemporary Cables: Unusual cabled projects, including reversible scarves
+ Graphic Elements: Feminine yet graphically modern knits
+ Fall Session: His and hers casual outer wear
+ Unusual Wools: Tape yarns and tubular constructions make unusual fabrics

Features, Articles, and Technique Highlights

+ Profile on blogger and designer Melissa Wehrle, with four new exclusive designs
+ Technical Articles: Learn to count rows in a cable and read a lace chart
+ Stylespotting: Fashion knit-blogger Kate Sonnick walks us through the culture of the Cowichan

Enjoy the preview!

--Lisa

Find the new issue of Knitscene at your LYS, bookstore, or order it here.

Comments

momma_jag wrote
on Jan 25, 2010 6:59 PM

Please, please, please talk Interweave into offering subscriptions to Knitscene!

on Jul 30, 2009 3:43 PM

Hi folks,

I appreciate your comments about the typos. Those are real stoppers for me, too, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to fix them.

Thanks for the eagle-eye read-throughs, ladies. I'll clean up my act!

Kathleen

RoseM@7 wrote
on Jul 29, 2009 8:43 AM

The July Newsletter email I got shows the Kenobi Jacket pattern "Purchase PDF". But when I click it ... I'm taken to the pattern for the Antonette Cardigan.

Not a bad issue ... but that Offset Lace Tunic ... why?

Re the grammar. I always end up thinking "if they makes those types of mistakes (and it's usually typos with words of that type) then what other typos have they let through .. perhaps in the patterns.

Appreciate that the models resemble normal bodies, but the photos could be better.

Probably won't buy this issue.

AKorinke wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 5:33 PM

Ditto the comments on the poor editing, or what I took as being no editing. Yes, it's a knitting Web site, not a grammar Web site, but anyone who thinks their thoughts are worth shooting into cyberspace is obligated to make sure they are written using the accepted rules of written communication structure. If the obligation to do so isn't felt for any other reason, then the writer should remember that egregious errors (its/it's) are like fingernails scraping on the blackboard at a minimum and usually end the reader's interest on the spot. Shame on anybody who distributes the butchering of the English language. I'll try another issue, but please find a competent editor.

PipneyJane wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 2:34 AM

It would be great if we could subscribe to Knitscene, just as we subscribe to other Interweave publications.  Why don't you add the option to add it to an IK subcription?  I'm going to buy it anyway, but doing that would guarantee I'd get my copy.

- PipneyJane

on Jul 22, 2009 5:40 PM

Ugh. I don't know what happened to my post. Trying again...

I think this one of the better issues by far!! Though they're not all for me, I really appreciate the majority of the designs in this issue. I love Carnaby Street, Hollywood Herringbone, Remy Reversible Scart and the Crochet bobble Beret (though i don't crochet!).

Some minor criticisms:

The Offset Lace Tunic is horrid though - I don't see how it can be flattering for anyone if the beautiful model looks frumpy in it.

Some of the stuff the models are wearing seem to fight with the knitting garments - they're either too busy or the necklines of the shirts seem to detract from the lines of the knitted garments.

Also...while Remy is a genius design, it is unfortunate that the photos don't really show it.  I mean, the photos are nice, but why wouldn't you show both sides of the scarf especially since the different motifs on each side seem to be the highlight?  I didn't even realize that the scarf has a different cable pattern on each side until I read the description and saw the designer's project photos.

Again, overall, tt's a great issue though.

on Jul 22, 2009 5:25 PM

I have to agree that this is one of the better issues of Knitscene by far.  Though some styles may not suit my body, I certainly appreciate all the good designs in it.

The winners certainly are Carnaby Street, Hollywood Herringbone, Remy Reversible Scarf and though I don't crochet, the Crochet Bobble Beret. Sorry, but I think the Offset Lace Tunic is just horrid though.

The few minor criticisms I have are that some of the clothing the models are wearing seem to fight with and take away from the lovely knitted garments.  Also...Remy is a genius design, but it's unfortunate that none of the photos show you both sides of the scarf at the same time. I didn't even realize it was different on each side until I read the description and saw the designer's project photos on Ravelry.

Overall though, a great issue.

CoralS wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 4:53 PM

I'm also a stickler for grammar, but I'm not going to say anything... this time...  :)

Thanks for introducing the new Knitscene.  I absolutely MUST HAVE the Carnaby Street Pullover, and I adore the Eyelet Corset Pullover.  If only I didn't have about 10 projects already screaming at me!  This is the best issue from Interweave I've seen in many seasons.  It might get me motivated to clean up some old projects on my needles so I don't have the guilt associated with starting yet one more.

AnnR wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 4:11 PM

To Cathy and cats,

I thought that we were learning about knitting, not doing an English class.

Shame on you both.

on Jul 22, 2009 3:00 PM

Editorial comment:

I have to say that I'm disappointed with the new editor:  I would think that an editor would have command of English grammar and usage.  For example:

"I'm going to talk to it tonight about it's new incarnation."

Any dictionary will tell you the difference between "its" (the correct word here) and "it's", the contraction of "it is."   Please treat yourself to a copy of Strunk & White, "The Elements of Style", or the Chicago Manual of style -- and read them!

As for this one:

"Lisa . . . will share insight and intrigue into what makes Knitscene so special."

Insights can be shared (and carry the preposition "into"), but intrigue?  Perhaps a Roget's Thesaurus might be useful here -- the real one, not the one in dictionary format.

Read it aloud.  Use the grammar checker in your word-processing software.  If all else fails, ask someone to read it and comment!

Sincerely,