Knitting Baby Sweaters (Plus Cables!)

Jul 24, 2009

There is something so special about knitting for a baby (and then seeing your knitted item actually on the baby). So cute! I love looking through baby patterns and seeing the adorable babies modeling knitted sweaters and snuggling with knitted toys and napping in knitted blankets. Since I don't have kids of my own I've knit and given away many, many baby items over the years, and in the process, I've built my knitting skills. My favorite is the bear bunting I knit for my nephew, Henry (at left), out of Sirdar Snuggly. Was he cute or what? (He's turning four in October.)

And here's The H Sweater (at right) that I designed myself and knit out of Rowan All-Seasons Cotton (proudly worn over jammies).

I told you my knitting-origins story--one day of instruction and then book learning and swatching. I took a class about how to fix mistakes and then I went to Tricoter, a fabulous Seattle knit shop, and one of the gals there encouraged me to knit a sweater. So I knit a baby sweater for my neighbor's little boy. During the process I learned how to do simple shaping, bind off shoulders, pick up stitches, and seam the whole thing together. Quite a lot of learning for a three-month-size sweater!

I've got a couple of new projects in the works for Henry. One is a striped vest nightmare with 1001 ends to weave in (if anyone has a serger, call me!) and the other is a cabled vest.

I learned cables while knitting a baby sweater, and if you're new to cabling, I encourage you to knit a baby sweater to practice your cabling, too--try the simple but darling Cabled Raglan Baby Sweater by Rebecca Daniels. I have a friend with twin girls and I'm gearing up to knit two of these this fall!

If you want a lot bang for your buck, cabling is the way to go. Cabling is simply knitting stitches out of order to make them twist in a certain way. Whether you're knitting a simple rope cable, like the one in the Cabled Raglan Baby Sweater, or a more challenging cable project, the principle is the same--you knit certain stitches out of order to achieve the cabled appearance. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can pick up cabling; the technique is so simple you'll be able to start a cable project right away.

You all know how much I love a video, so instead of explaining how to cable, here's a demo from Eunny Jang, editor of Interweave Knits, that'll have you itching to cast on a cable-ishous pattern.

This clip is from Knitting Daily TV series 300, which has either just started airing on your public television station or is about to start airing. Set those DVRs so you don't miss anything!

Have a wonderful weekend. I hope you get a lot of knitting done!

Kathleen

Download the Cabled Raglan Baby Sweater and 6 more FREE baby knitting patterns with: Baby Patterns from Knitting Daily: 7 FREE Baby Knitting Patterns. This downloadable eBook consists of seven of Interweave’s best-loved baby knitting patterns. Download your copy today (and don’t forget to tell a friend so they can enjoy their own copy!).

Comments

kpam wrote
on Jan 10, 2010 2:02 AM

I agree that Knitting Daily isn't very interesting lately. The problem of course is the new editor. I noticed that she said she has not been knitting very long. Great. Are we supposed to learn along with her?

Where is the reversible cable video?

cepeda wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 1:13 PM

great program.  i love it!!!

thanks

on Jul 28, 2009 11:31 AM

Hi folks!

A couple of answers for you:

The bear bunting is a Sirdar pattern leaflet.

When I've serged color projects I just run the serger up the sides of the pieces. The serger cuts off the ends and locks in the edges. You have to be careful about your tension so you don't get the wavy edge and you need to go slow so you get as straight a line as possible so it's easy to sew the pieces together. I serge each piece individually and then piece them together by hand.

Have a great day!

Kathleen

CoralS wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 1:08 PM

Like another commenter, I also have a hard time reading the blog with the new editor and all the "I" words.  It just sounds so self centered somehow.  Sigh...

Judy@132 wrote
on Jul 26, 2009 5:11 AM

Excellent. Very informative.  I've knit cables, but she covers points I hadn't seen.

Donnaj71 wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 11:12 PM

Thank you so much!  I had no idea knitting cables could be so easy!  I thought it was too complicated so I never tried.  Now I know I can do it.

Donna C in AK

klynn wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 8:18 PM

I found this video to be very helpful. I wish I could see the next part of it that is mentioned.

Doc wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 5:14 PM

The pattern for the cabled raglan baby sweater is very old and essentially generic, in the public domain.  My grandmother, who was born in 1905, knitted one nearly identical to this for my oldest child ( who is now 30) when he was born.  This sweater has now been handed down, through the generations, to my own grandchild, born in 2008.

BarbaraR wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 2:16 PM

This was very helpful and made cable work clear

thanks

barbara

RosemaryR@7 wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 8:07 AM

Trying to warm up to new editor.  Can't get by the I's as if all about her.  There are 18 I's in the daily today.  Write to the universal you in knitters and this might appear to be about the knitting community.

Lagato wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 4:41 AM

How many "Cuddlies" have I knit?  Sitting outside while my granddaughter plays I was knitting "Cuddlies" .  So many kids adored them so knitting away I went.  Now my granddaughter wants another cat.  Such fun!  I am now knitting a cat for a little girl in my church.  These are so easy to knit and a great size for children to carry around with them.  Thanks so much Knitting Daily for such fun.  LaGato

slox wrote
on Jul 25, 2009 12:37 AM

Love bear bunting, can you post what book its from or where to find it.

on Jul 24, 2009 10:34 PM

I can't say how much more enjoyable I find KD now that you're the editor. Thank you!

Also, I can't believe I didn't think of using my serger on my hand knits before, what a brilliant idea. I'd offer you the use of mine, but it's here with me in Australia!

Tammy@3 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:25 PM

would like to know how to add a different color yarn in the middle of a project without having a hole appear when adding a new color of yarn.

AnnR wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 1:43 PM

Can't get the video!!!!

GerdaP wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 1:33 PM

Henry is adorable, nothing like a baby to get you inspired to knit. I agree that a baby sweater is an excellent way to expose a newbie to sweater knitting you gain a lot of skills in a manageable way.

Maybe in the future you can show how to cable without a cable needle, this makes cable work even easier!

Nahiifa wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 1:23 PM

I really like the design of the lavender sweater, where can I find that pattern?

on Jul 24, 2009 1:13 PM

ok, i HAVE a serger- so how the heck do i use it to work in yarn tails?

SusanR@75 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 12:11 PM

While in the past I looked forward to receiving Knitting Daily on my e mail, I find it a chore to lool through these days.  Maybe it's the dull colors in your headline banner.  Of course, the content has not been that inspiring for me, either.

Hopefully, you'll be able to make things more interesting.

Sincerely, Susan Roy

SueM@75 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 12:00 PM

I too had no video!!!!  I do know how to cable, but it is always good to see a tutorial.

s.clyatt wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 11:47 AM

I think its beautiful and how long do u thinkit takes make babycable sweater,Im a beginner

Yvonne wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 11:02 AM

LEARNING HOW TO CABLE VIDEO MAKES THIS SO SIMPLE. IT WAS DONE SLOWLY ENOUGH AND CLEAR ENOUGH FOR ALL TO LEARN. AND I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN ABOUT THOSE SPECIAL NEEDLES FOR CABLE HOLDERS.

Yvonne

jktstack wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 10:33 AM

is there a pattern for the baby bear bunting?

BlueJaye2 wrote