Interweave Knits: Fall 2009 Preview!

Jul 27, 2009

A note from Kathleen: When I worked at my LYS, we'd get a heavy box four times a year and the return address was Interweave Press. We'd rip that box open practically before the UPS guy could hand it over; we knew what was in it--the new issue of Interweave Knits! Here I am an Interweave employee, and I'm just as excited to hand you the proverbial box and introduce the fall 2009 issue of Knits. When you see the offerings in this issue you'll think "instant classic"  just like I did. Do you love working on textured sweaters with interesting lines? If so, many of the sweaters in this issue will be right up your alley. And those Bandelier Socks? Brilliant and amazing --I will make them and keep them for myself!

With this new issue comes a new blog, Inside Knits. Eunny and the Interweave Knits gang will be expanding on projects and articles in the magazine and sharing even more tips and techniques. Plus you'll get a peek behind the scenes at just what it takes to produce Knits. Check KnittingDaily.com tomorrow afternoon for our first Inside Knits blog post.

And now, here's editor Eunny Jang to tell you more about what's in store for you with this issue of Interweave Knits, available at your LYS or newsstand on August 11th.

The dog days of summer may still be ahead, but fall is just around the corner--and with that, fall knitting! It's a great time to cast on a new big project, work with new-to-you fibers, or tackle a technique you've always wanted to try.

For me, the first cool breeze (sweater season!) always ushers in a renewed interest in knitting: The craft is both deep and broad, with endless avenues for exploration.

Take a subject like stranded color work (one of my personal favorites): If you'd like to give it a try for the first time, the Freya Hat would be a great place to begin: It's small and knitted entirely in the round. The Bandelier Socks would be a great project to branch out with. And if you're an old hand looking for something new, you could play with the Felicity Hat: It takes traditional motifs and combines them with decidedly untraditional short-rows for a completely different effect.

If you love texture, a one-piece sweater like the French Braid Pullover might satisfy the urge for big, simple texture that showcases the beauty of knitted cables. Angelica's Coat plays different textures against each other and frames them all within the rustic texture of the project yarn. The Clasica Coat puts cables and lace together for a deeply chiseled, wonderfully tactile effect.

For something to really sink your teeth into, there's a whole group of patterns that feature reversible cables in ways that make adornment functional: Rosamund's Cardigan uses a slinky reversible cable to pattern a collar that looks great standing up or turned down into lapels, while the Rivulet Scarf simply looks fantastic from both sides.

Deconstructing these patterns and learning what makes them tick is half the reward of making them--even in a craft as old as knitting is, there are still things that make you look twice, look closer.

What catches your eye in the Interweave Knits Fall 2009 preview?

--Eunny

Comments

on Jul 29, 2009 7:15 AM

I am not happy with your offer of a "free" issue.  Even months after I have notified you to cancel (the same day I received the notice), you are sending bills to me.  You  may have lovely knitting patterns, and produce a magazine, but your accounting department needs a serious overhaul.

DianeT@16 wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 12:51 PM

I just looked at the preview of the Fall issue. I'm so jazzed. Your design team just blew the roof off. I can hardly wait to get my issue!!

This is my first ever comment. But I'm motivated!

From Diane in Eugene, Oregon

CoralS wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 10:48 AM

There are some absolutely GORGEOUS patterns in this issue!!! One of the best issues of IK EVER!!!!  Can't wait to get it.

RebekahO wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 10:15 AM

I can't wait to see the galleries! There are so many great patterns here, I don't even know where to begin. The galleries are so helpful in letting me see how the pieces fit a variety of shapes. :)

on Jul 28, 2009 6:50 AM

I normally see the preview and one or two patterns get my heart racing.  I can safely say you have hit the jackpot this time.  I think I have just added 90% of the projects onto my wish list.  Better start saving now!!!

mitchellle wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 5:09 AM

I let my IK subscription lapse because there is rarely something that I would knot for myself, and I often design for myself.  That said, I will scurry to my LYS for the Fall 2009 issure because there are several items I want to knit.

Freyja Sweater

Slanting Gretel Tee

Angelica's Coat!!!!

Clasica Coat

Alpaka Tunic (I am thinking lengthen it to Dress)

Big Montana Tunic

Just a Little Under Shirt

I live in a state that has been getting some cold winters lately and these will help me cut my fuel bills and provide me with many hours of knittling pleasure.

marye@2 wrote
on Jul 28, 2009 4:29 AM

tout simplement magnifique,bravo

all simplemnt splendid, cheer

Maryse

Pat Austin wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 11:14 PM

Oh Wow, I think I'd wear just about all of those gorgeous patterns. Now I'll have a big dilemma choosing what to knit.  Well done, guys.

JanL wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 11:04 PM

So far the only thing that grabs is the Farmers Market Cardigan.  Nothing else appealed. :/

UlrikeB wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 10:04 PM

This is so unfair. Showing us all those wonderful pictures and now I have to wait another fortnight until I will be able to look, enjoy and knit. This time, I really don't know which model is best, there are so many of them. Guess, I have to finish some WiPs, to start a new one, as soon as I have the magazine

I'll be drooling over the pictures until then

Ulrike

ZoeF wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 7:21 PM

I can't wait to get this issue in the mail. Fall is my favorite season; cool weather, wonderful wool sweaters, warm apple cider...

All the projects are just wonderful which will make it very challenging to decide what project to begin once I recieve this in the mail. My top picks are the farmer's market cardigan, trellis and vine pullover, laporte avenue tote, freyja sweater,and rosamurals cardigan.

I'm very excited to get this issue in the mail and have cool weather back in Wisconsin.  :)

Thank you for all the wonderful and inspiring designs!

NicoleZ wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 2:44 PM

What a great issue ! I nearly chased down the mailman today to see if my issue had arrived ( alas not yet...sigh ).  This issue has so many beautiful projects in it that I hardly know where to begin,  Fall is my favorite season.  The cooler weather, Halloween, etc.  Seeing the preview has really made my day and helped take my mind off the blazing heat here in Southern California. Congrats to the IK team for a job well done.  Happy knitting everyone.

Nicole

HaleyL wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 1:58 PM

This issue looks great!  I've never seen so many projects in one magazine that I've wanted to knit.  Love it!  Here are the patterns that I like best from the preview: Freya Sweater, Slanting Gretel Tee, Trellis and Vine Pullover, Berry and Bramble Cardigan, and Rosamund's Cardigan.

AelredS wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 1:41 PM

Some really nice garments, but I have to say I'm disappointed that there's not one men's pattern in the bunch.  Bummer!

BarbaraB wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 1:40 PM

Wow!  I've just had a sneak preview/look at the designs in the coming Fall copy of Knits and I can't WAIT to get my copy.   The problem is going to be what to knit first!  Lovely, lovely designs - can't see a single thing I don't like!  Well done team, you've really cracked it this time!

Barbara Brenchley

from the Land Down Under.

Julie@7 wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 1:34 PM

Now you're talking! Wow, what fabulous patterns. I love those fantastic Bandolier socks, as well as the Alpaka Tunic, the Freyja Sweater, and that Clasica Coat. Just wonderful.

And God bless you, Interweave, for finished bust sizes of 54". The full-figured among us thank you! More, please...

Robin@98 wrote