5 Free Scarf Patterns, from the Interweave Knits Staff to You!

Jul 31, 2009

Whether you knit scarves to take a break from serious knitting, to practice a new stitch, or even to knit up a quick gift, there's no denying that scarf knitting is popular amongst all skill levels. First you start with garter stitch scarves, and then you break into stockinette (and learn that the edges roll!), and pretty soon you're trying all kinds of pattern stitches and maybe even your first cabled scarf.

I tend to have a scarf project in the works at all times, it travels well and it's nice to have a project that you can pick up any time you need to kill some time in a waiting room or wherever.

There are truly some scarves out there that are masterpieces--take a look at the book Scarf Style for some examples of said masterpieces. I've knit Vintage Velvet from Scarf Style three times; the pattern is interesting enough to keep me going and the result is just plain extraordinary. (You knit a reversible cable pattern out of chenille yarn and then you felt it. Amazing!)

At Interweave, we think scarf knitting provides wonderful opportunities to practice fun stitch patterns, play with luxury yarns, and impress your friends and family with beautiful gifts.

In that vein, the fabulously talented Knits staff decided to arm you with five gorgeous and varied scarf patterns in fall's Staff Projects offering (see page 52 of the magazine). And, in response to your feedback, all five patterns are available here and now. No weekly doling out of the free patterns for me--I want to populate your holiday gift-knitting list all at once!

And now, drumroll please, here come the scarves!

LEAVES ON THE PATH SCARF by Laura Rintala, managing editor

Laura designed this scarf in honor of her favorite season, fall. The yarn is Valley Yarns, Williamstown, distributed by WEBS.

WAVY ORANGE SCARF by Rebecca L. Daniels, editorial assistant

This scarf gets its ripples because the piece is knit lengthwise instead of widthwise. The yarn is ShibuiKnits, Highland Wool Alpaca.

STAR SCARF by Eunny Jang, editor

This is a small-skein wonder, or use up leftovers from lace projects. The yarn is Valley Yarns, 8/2 Tencel, distributed by WEBS.

MYOPIA SCARF by Sharon Riggs, assistant editor

Inspired by the runway, Sharon designed her scarf so even the most nearsighted fashionista will be able to see the beauty. The yarn is Louet, Dyed Corriedale (it's a roving, actually).

TWILLY NECKERCHIEF by Lisa Shroyer, senior editor

Lisa combines honeycomb brioche stitch with garter stitch to make this stylish scarf. The yarn is The Alpaca Yarn Company, Classic Alpaca.

I know it's hard to believe that it's scarf knitting time (it's 95 degrees here in Spokane today), but that fall Interweave Knits issue has inspired me to shop my stash and my LYS and gather supplies for several fall projects, and I'm guessing it has you revved up for fall knitting, too.

Have fun with these scarf patterns!

Kathleen

P.S. Don't forget to visit Sandi's blog, What's on Sandi's Needles, this week! Sandi posts a new blog every Thursday.

Comments

on Jan 6, 2010 9:13 AM

i would love to have the free scarf patterns.  my name is Maryellen Hoyt.  My address is 1222 S. Lakes End Dr.Apt C, Fort Pierce , Florida 34982.  My phone number is: 1 772 429 0079.  Thank You very much, Maryellen Hoyt

on Jan 6, 2010 9:05 AM

I would like to have these free scarf patterns. How doI go about ordering them?

MarciP@2 wrote
on Aug 3, 2009 12:45 PM

Question regarding STAR SCARF...  Approximately how much yarn does the scarf really take?  I ask because the pattern indicates the yarn needed is an enormous amount that comes on a cone.  However, the note immediately preceeding the directions states that the scarf uses a small amount of yarn.

Could someone please weigh the finished scarf and post the results?  That would be a great help for those of us trying hard to decrease our yarn stashes!

Thank you!

KathleenM@11 wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 9:32 PM

Reply to MelanieA@12.

That helps perfectly! I read through the pattern again and counted the yos and passes of the 1st stitch over the 2nd & 3rd of the k3 and it all added up. Somehow my fingers kept wanting to add another yo. Silly. Let's hope the fourth time is the charm! Thank you.

MelanieA@12 wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 6:32 PM

Reply to KathleenM@11.

On the Star Scarf, row 2 the yarn over only occurs before the k3 clusters, so after the last k3 cluster, you just knit the last stitch.  On row 4, the yarn over occurs after the k3 clusters, so you'll do a yarn over after the last k3 cluster and then knit 2.  Hope this helps!

on Aug 1, 2009 12:16 PM

If one is knitting straight edge-scarves, as opposed to ripples, one could knit multiples, and then join the long edges together, and use them as pieces for simple shape vests or jackets, that way you get to practice the stitches, have a portable project, and make unique garments all at one go. I am a big fan of simple rectangular pattern pieces put together as garments, a la the ubuquitous 'bog coat'.

I love this daily newsletter, please keep up the great work, I am a seamstress, and knit for relaxation.

Jean in Canada, aka 'whoneedlesthis'

PatH wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 10:41 AM

I've been thinking of hats and scarves too. Mainly because I've finally admitted  that the winter hat that I've been wearing makes me look like a dork. So, since I am also looking for a faculty inservice project (our community college has 2 days filled with meetings at the beginning of the semester) a scarf that does not require total concentration may be the thing. The hat will be a matching color, not necessarily a matching design. Now to work out the details.

Thank you for the scarf patterns.

TheresaM@2 wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 9:20 AM

First, I agree with LauraP, "I think you're going to turn off a large part of your audience by dismissing scarf knitting as not being "serious" or being "practice".

Second, for a moment I thought I'd inadvertently ended up on the Lion Brand site.

Third, please don't turn to fad knitting. This is the first time I've ever considered the possibility of letting my IK subscription lapse.

PattiP wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 8:55 AM

Too....hot.....to....kni....(gasp).  I'll save these til the fall. Thanks

Ellen wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 8:20 AM

I don't want to knock Sandy cuz she did a really good job,but, Kathleen is answering my needs and likes better and I would like to thank both for all they have done that I have benefitted from.  Thanks for being here and doing such a WONDERFUL job for all of us out here.     THANKS!!!!!

rgelino wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 7:04 AM

Help!  Really wanted to print out the  star pattern, and when it wouldn't print, I tried all the others.   None of them would print.

Rosemary G.

Jennifer@7 wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 6:20 AM

I really appreciate these lovely free scarf patterns! I can't wait to cast on - toughest part is choosing which one to start with ;) - and I agree with previous comments: having a zoomable image would be very helpful, as well as having more views. I know pics increase the file sizes, but as they say, a picture's worth a thousand words! Thanks for all you do!

KathleenM@11 wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 8:07 PM

I just downloaded the Star Scarf pattern and have a question. I keep getting 16 stitches after I complete the 2nd row. It seems to me the last yo is causing this problem. Am I doing something wrong?

LauraP@5 wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 7:58 PM

I'm pretty offended by the implication that scarf knitting is not "serious knitting".  There are some very complicated scarf patterns that rival sweater patterns on a scale of complication.  I think you're going to turn off a large part of your audience by dismissing scarf knitting as not being "serious" or being "practice".

SharonR wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 6:55 PM

I really appreciate the free patterns, but I'd love better pics. Sometimes it's hard to see what's happening, because the images are so small or the garment is "fashionably" rumpled on the model. Sometimes we just want to see them laid out flat! :)

Thanks again.

LisabethT wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 2:01 PM

Pretty scarves... I think. It would be nice if the images could be clicked to bring up a more close-up pic to get an idea of what they look like. After all, that's a great way to know if one wants to download the patterns