"Spin-Off" into the International Year of Natural Fibres

Aug 26, 2009

A note from Kathleen: There's so much going on in the knitting/yarn/fiber world lately, and we're all so lucky to have access to it through Interweave's various publications. Spin-Off magazine, for instance, is a wonderful resource for spinners, but as a knitter, I find several things of interest in each issue I see. There are some really neat features in the upcoming fall 2009 issue of Spin-Off (which will be on the shelves on September 15), so here's editor Amy Clarke Moore to give you a little preview of the exciting offerings in this unique, fiber-lovers' magazine, including an amazing declaration from the United Nations to honor natural fibers.

Spinning Off into the International Year of Natural Fibres

I've been the editor of Spin-Off since 2000—and so far I've worked on thirty-eight issues. Wow, has that time flown by!

Each issue, I think, "This is my favorite. Our readers are going to love this one." Well, this time, with the Fall 2009 issue, my feelings about the issue exceed that feeling by one hundred-fold. Maybe it is because it was so fun to come up with a concept for this one.

The United Nations has declared 2009 the International Year of Natural Fibres (IYNF) and Spin-Off magazine is all about natural fibers every issue, every year, every second (well, occasionally we talk about man-made fibers, but mostly we talk about natural fibers).

Once we jumped up and exclaimed, "Yes! Let's celebrate the IYNF! in the Fall 2009 issue of Spin-Off," we sat back down again—rather quickly with our hands on our chins—"Wait a sec. How do we celebrate natural fibers in a way that we haven't done before in every single issue, every single year since the magazine was born over thirty-three years ago?"

Then it hit us, we're all about making yarn from scratch, let's look at the very beginning of cultivating fiber—we'll investigate growing cotton, raising silkworms, and look into being owned by goats. We'll put out a call for entries by our readers and invite them to show us what they've made absolutely from scratch.

So even if you never pick up a spindle, as a fiber enthusiast you're bound to find something in this issue of Spin-Off that captivates your imagination.

Fall Leaves Shawl Project

You'll love the Fall Leaves Shawl project: six spinners/knitters made eleven stunning versions of the same lace shawl using different techniques for achieving color and texture in the shawl. At left are some samples of this beautiful shawl. You'll see even more samples of the shawl, plus get the pattern, in the fall issue of Spin-Off.

And there's yet another exciting knitting feature in this issue. . .

The Horseshoe Cap: Get into the Spin-Off Gallery!

Here's a pattern we're giving to members of our website: The Horseshoe Cap by Janet Wray (photo at right). We've invited spinners to spin and knit their own version of the Horseshoe Cap to submit to our Handspun Gallery for the Summer 2010 issue of Spin-Off. Guidelines are here. Join spinningdaily.com and receive the pattern free!

(When you join Spin-Off.com, you'll need to provide your email and a username. You'll get a confirmation email, then you'll log in to the site. When you're there, go back to this window, and click the free project link. Click on the green download arrow on the right and you'll get the free pattern.)

A note about the Horseshoe Cap pattern: Since this pattern is written for spinners, it starts off with "Finishing," which we knitters expect to see at the end of a pattern. In this case, the finishing section talks about finishing up the actual making of the yarn before starting the knitting process. So don't be alarmed—if you're using mill-spun yarn, just skip to the second paragraph under the "Finishing" heading and cast on.

Here's to a year full of fiber adventures!

—Amy Clarke Moore
Editor, Spin-Off

Comments

Danielle wrote
on Sep 28, 2009 1:37 PM

The Horseshoe Cap free pattern lives on the Spin Off site, so you'll need to sign up for a Spin Off account to access it.  It's worth it!

VickiA wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 10:08 PM

Knitting Daily recognizes my password but I can't download the horseshoe cap.  Do I have to purchase a subscription to Spin-Off to get it?  I have been buying Spin-Off at borders but don't have a subscription.

BarbaraR@80 wrote
on Aug 27, 2009 12:47 PM

The pattern needs a sign-in for Spin-Off and won't take my Knitting Daily sign-on.

Can you put in on the Knitting Daily site?

Thanks.

BJR

JillW wrote
on Aug 27, 2009 10:53 AM

For Sandra@39 - I was getting the same message, and getting very frustrated as well.  I looked under the help/customer service at the top, and they had some FAQs about logging in.  They said to delete all the cookies on your web browser program, and then restart your computer.  That worked for me, I was able to log in after that.

vanalpaca wrote
on Aug 27, 2009 6:49 AM

I am hoping the Fall issue has included ALPACA fiber. There are over 4000 alpaca ranches in the US with the national herd up over 100,000. They are shorn once a year and yield about 5 lbs of prime fiber. Not all ranches send their fiber out to the mini mills for processing and it is available to spinners nationwide. Many have it spun into yarn for knitters to purchase. September is National Alpaca Farm Days, usually the last weekend of the month where alpaca farmers host open houses. Many have farm stores with alpaca fiber and products available. I have heard knitters say that alpaca is lovely to knit with but hard to find. Over 22,000 alpacas live in Ohio alone.

Keep up the good job interweave, without your efforts, we wouldn't have any of the wonderful patterns and resources available to us.

Sandra@39 wrote
on Aug 26, 2009 6:01 PM

I keep getting the message that my user name and password are invalid.  They are the ones that you sent me  This has happened before and is terribly frustrating.

Jamie wrote
on Aug 26, 2009 10:48 AM

I also was unable to print the hat pattern.  I was asked to log in (again!), it said my password was incorrect.  I then asked for my password to be emailed to me, it said it had, but nothing has arrived (it's been 15 minutes).

What's up?

AnnR wrote
on Aug 26, 2009 10:25 AM

I am tired of all the magazines and books that you are promoting ALL the time.

I would like to see more tutorials and patterns, like we used to have with Sandy.

JillW wrote
on Aug 26, 2009 10:18 AM

Is it just me, or does every KD newsletter now seem to be a plug to either buy a book or subscribe to a magazine?  I miss Sandy!  I know she has a weekly blog, but I miss her stories, sense of humor, and teaching, both instructional and by example.  I am tired of getting multiple newsletters about the same book or magazine.  I don't mind the occasional book review, but to have it followed up every time within the next day or two by another to sell the book seems excessive.

Willie Anne wrote
on Aug 26, 2009 7:53 AM

I was unable to printo the pattern for the horseshoe cap, which I thought was lovely.  My error message said to contact the administrator.  I hope this gets there.  Thanks,  Willie