7 Free Knit Cardigan Patterns!

Aug 28, 2009

Free Knit Cardigan Patterns

I can already feel a chill in the air at night—a sure sign that fall is approaching. And what could be better to ward off that chill than a cardigan sweater? It  can be thrown on over a tee shirt and worn open or it can be buttoned up under a blazer if it's a little chillier. In fact, its versatility is one of the best parts of a knit cardigan—you can wear it any way you need to, under or over, open or closed, dressed up or dressed down.

In our new free eBook, Knit Cardigan Patterns from Knitting Daily: 7 Free Knitting Patterns, Knitting Daily contributing editor Sandi Wiseheart has pulled together seven classic knit cardigan patterns from Interweave resources like Knitscene, Interweave Knits, and the Interweave Store.

We think each of the cardigans in this eBook are stand-outs in their class. Here's what Sandi has to say about her choices for the patterns in this free eBook:

The Katharine Hepburn Jacket by Kathy Zimmerman combines classy 1950s styling with a year-round blend of lace and tiny cables. The Amber Beaded Cardigan by Michele Rose Orne offers deceptively simple lace knitting in a flattering silhouette. (The beads are optional and sewn on after the knitting is done-clever!)

Then there's the Aran Duffle Coat by Judith L. Swartz, which from its cabled hood and lovely Aran cables to its big front pockets and deep ribbed cuffs, is a joy to snuggle into on a blustery winter's day. The Refined Aran Jacket by Pam Allen, a knitter's favorite since it first came out, is equally at home over a skirt in the office or over jeans out shopping.

In the Sienna Cardigan by Ann E. Smith, a classic V-neck cardigan shape is set off by a band of cabled lace down each front and an unusual picot-edged collar. The Side-Way Ribs Cardigan by Norah Gaughan is a quick, easy knit with thick yarn and big needles. Each piece starts at the cuff and ends at the center for a fun (and fashionable!) sideways project.

Finally, the Curry Cabled Cardigan by Cathy Payson shows off rivers of wide and narrow cables in graceful, flattering vertical "stripes" in a cozy classic sweater.

This is a wonderful and varied collection of cardigans—which is one of the most important pieces in your wardrobe. You'll want to make every one of these knit cardigan patterns, so download your free eBook now and get started!

Cheers,

Kathleen

Comments

pioneer wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 5:44 AM

I just started working on the SIDEWAYS RIB CARDIGAN done in a bulky yarn. Has anyone else made this....any advice for the fit? Can I adjust the sides & back so it doesnt fit so openly?

elvyra wrote
on Aug 9, 2010 10:30 PM

how do i finish my clasica coat?Designer Deborah Newton.

i stared this progect ,and i have lots ???regarding Rep Dec row (back) what is that mean?i am just lost. can not understand this:

every 6th row 4(0000) more times,then every 4th row 4(12,13,13,13)times,then every other row 0(0,3,7,11) times -64 st remaining.work 3(3,1,1,1,)rows even.

please help i want to finish what i statred.

thank you!

ShellyS wrote
on Nov 10, 2009 12:20 PM

Made the Side-way Ribs Cardigan and LOVE it!!  It's my new snuggle sweater!

Thanks for all the wonderful patterns in this collection!

IrishMom wrote
on Sep 11, 2009 8:05 AM

If you are having trouble downloading the Ebook (as I was), and you are using Firefox, switch to Internet Explorer and try again.  I was able to access the Cardigan patterns using Explorer.

Janet@4 wrote
on Sep 3, 2009 10:32 AM

Those of you having problems, see the instructions below.  Deleting your cookies will help.  I also then selected "open this document in your browser," and I got the patterns.....now to find the time and money to work on them!

Susan@349 wrote
on Sep 2, 2009 11:19 AM

More a question than a comment: How do I upload this PDF to my Ravelry library? I hate having random patterns on my computer and use Ravelry to organize them so I can always find them for a new project.

knitomatic wrote
on Aug 31, 2009 5:43 PM

i tried the whole ting with emptying the cookies and restarting the computer but it did not work, it's a problem with firefox. i got lucky with internet explorer (blech).

Danielle wrote
on Aug 31, 2009 9:19 AM

I had the same issues using FireFox and solved the problem by clearing my cookies:

Tools

Options

Privacy

Settings (under Private Data section)

Make sure Cookies is selected then hit OK

Clear Now (under Private Data section)

If that doesn't work for you, you'll want to make sure your settings allow you to accept cookies:

For Firefox 3.5.2, here's how:

Tools

Options...

Privacy

In Cookies section, make sure "Accept cookies from sites" is checked.

As an extra precaution, click "Exceptions".  If KnittingDaily.com is listed, be sure it is not set to Block

Firefox 3.0.12 is the same as above, you just don't have to select Use custom settings for history

If you are still having problems, I'd recommend trying Internet Explorer.  If all else fails, the customer service department is very friendly and happy to help: customerservice@interweave.com

MelissaM@3 wrote
on Aug 31, 2009 7:20 AM

The curry cabled cardigan was the first sweater I ever knitted, back in 2003 or 4. I LOVE it. It was fun to knit with all the constant cabling, and it is gorgeous. My only regret is knitting it in such a warm wool, I can only wear it on the coldest days of the year!

koleraba wrote
on Aug 30, 2009 6:20 PM

Very lovely patterns. Thanks!

AnnaT@17 wrote
on Aug 30, 2009 5:30 AM

Couldn't use Firefox to download - Epiphany browser on Linux worked fine

on Aug 30, 2009 1:54 AM

I also had problems downloading the patterns at first, I use Opera. But I followed one of the suggestions which was to delete cookies and after that it was plain sailing. The patterns are beautiful and what I like is that the size ranges are good, it is hard sometimes to find nice large patterns in the UK.

ConnieR wrote
on Aug 29, 2009 7:41 PM

What a wonderful thing to do! Thank you!

MarthaB wrote
on Aug 29, 2009 2:51 PM

Thank you so much!  These are really nice sweaters - I can think of someone for each one, including myself!

Irisss wrote
on Aug 29, 2009 11:55 AM

I found I had to close the window from my email message and open a separate window.  Then I logged in and everything was fine.  Hope this works for you.

I agree, very frustrating, but this works!

Irisss wrote
on Aug 29, 2009 11:55 AM

I agree, very frustrating, but this works!

NinaT wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 5:47 PM

Wow, thank you so much for giving us all these lovely patterns. I downloaded it as soon as I saw it. They're all awesome.

Nina

MarilynD@6 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 5:42 PM

If I want to download a free pattern I go to the Knitting Daily site [rather than accessing it from the email msg]  I have my browser same my login/pw and I'm able to get the pattern. A few extra clicks are well worth it for these great patterns.

Leslie@84 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 3:26 PM

Can't get to it either, but at least I'm not alone!  And honestly, do I REALLY need any more patterns. . .hmm . . .

Oh, and I was such a good girl last week and cleaned & printed alll my freebies.  Hey, I even FILED them. . .

But you know, I have JUST the right yarn in my stash for Sienna. . .

LoriGinMN wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 2:58 PM

Thanks for the lovely patterns.  They downloaded for me without any problems on my first try (used Internet Explorer).  I typed in my email address as if I were a new subscriber and the next screen said something like "You are already a member, etc....." and then there is a box to enter my password.  Hope this might help someone who is having trouble.

They really are very nice patterns so I hope everyone will keep trying until you can access them.

LynnF@21 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 2:29 PM

finally did it..yeah.  They are lovely and worth the frustration!

jhunt@48 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 2:24 PM

I also had to use Safari.  I was always able to download using Firefox until lately.  What's up?

shayb wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 2:19 PM

I do apologize for the frustration that some of you are having trying to download the free Cardigan eBook.

One thing you can try is to delete your cookies.  Go to "Tools", then click on "Delete Browsing History", then "Delete Cookies".

After this is done, try logging in again.  If this does not work, please email us at customerservice@interweave.com.  Please include as much information as you can, such as what internet browser you are using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc..), anti-virus software you are using, etc...., and we will get you taken care of as quickly as we possibly can.

Please know that each one of you is important to us here at Interweave, and we are working hard to give you the best experience possible.  This time we have obviously hit a glitch, and are learning from it as we go.  We do appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Shay Black

Customer Support Manager

Diane wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 2:07 PM

Yup, Firefox is totally broken.  Any attempt to sign in is fruitless. :-(  Safari works fine.

jill@61 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 1:50 PM

finally able to download using Safari.  I tried Firefox multiple times and even requested my password wondering if I had forgotten it... This has been a challenge but well worth it.  Thank you for the lovely collection.

NatalieS@9 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 1:25 PM

Wow, lovely stuff. I have most (if not all) of these patterns, but it's great to have a pdf version handy.

Oh, and I used Firefox 3.0.13 to download the file & to write this comment, so if something was fixed, thanks.

maak wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 1:16 PM

I'm a regular user of Firefox and can't get that e-book using that browser. Even the ADD A COMMENT on this page is messed up in Firefox! I finally downloaded the patterns using Interent Explorer. Please fix this download problem so that your Firefox users can use their preferred browser. BTW the patterns are wonderful! Thanks!

Surmeno wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 12:36 PM

So far I have five different accounts because it never lets me sign back in again--and this has gone on for months. Every single new free pattern offer has needed a new account. Way to inflate your subscriber stats, folks!

And no, I can't get these patterns either--just get caught in an endless loop of bounced back to the blank login page no matter which set of credentials, including a new one for today, I use. PLUS, I had to use IE Tab to post this comment--wouldn't work in Firefox. Sorry Interweave: guess you don't want to talk to readers who use Firefox. I'll be removing Knitting Daily from my RSS feed and routing the five copies of the email subscription (amazing how that works when the webpages don't) directly to my spam folder. Been a loyal reader for a long time but this has become nothing but a tease and a waste of time.

NoorW wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 12:13 PM

from Holland I want to thank you for sharing these nice cardigan patterns.

I like to knit cables so I don't know which one to knit first.

sandrada wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 11:30 AM

hello

thank you so very much for a lovely knitting ebook of cardigans.  Now all I have to do is decide which to do first!!

Sandra

kathyb@125 wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 11:28 AM

Fabulous collection!  You really gave us the goodies this time!  Thank you!

Val wrote
on Aug 28, 2009 9:46 AM

Very nice collection.  Varied details, lovely styling, something for everyone, I should think.  Thank you very much for the free ebook.