What Are You Doing this Weekend? (Plus 8 Free Patterns!)

Sep 18, 2009

Have any plans for the weekend? Might I recommend making your own dress forms and dyeing some sock yarn? And bar-b-queing flank steak and Portobello mushrooms while you're at it?

'Cause that's what I did last weekend and it was an absolute blast.

Designer Wendy Bernard came up with the idea of duct-tape dress forms, so my knitting group decided to give it a try. It was surprisingly easy, and not-surprisingly, super fun! Basically, you wrap a friend as tightly as you can in duct tape, cut it up the back, retape it, and stuff it with polyfill.

Check out Audrey and Soucia at left—we decided they looked like super heroes so we taped their initials onto their forms.

Our other activity was dyeing sock yarn. We bought a bunch of sock blanks and dyes and put the dyes in squirt bottles. It was amazing how all of the pieces turned out so differently and beautifully. Please note that we're doing this activity outside. One thing is certain: dyeing is messy, and spills don't come out. Just ask my flip flops!

We had such a wonderful time at our mini-retreat, I highly recommend that you plan your own weekend-knitting adventure soon.

Speaking of Weekends. . .

Our new special issue, Interweave Knits Weekend, is in stores so we thought it would be nice to roll out the instructions for our amazing staff projects from that issue. Just click on the photos to get the patterns.

By Anna-Liza Armfield

Kathleen

Featured Product

Interweave Knits Weekend 2009

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $7.99

Magazine Single Issue

Interweave Knits Weekend, a special issue of Interweave Knits, is full of fun, quick, and simple projects for men, women, children, and the home.

Comments

Marsha@4 wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 4:41 PM

I purchased the weekend issue without even peeking. Haven't seen anything I plan to make so I'm wondering if it was worth the price. And these eight patterns are now free!  Something to think about.

Marsha@4 wrote
on Sep 21, 2009 4:26 PM

I assume the duct tape goes on over clothe, no bare spots or it could end a friednship, ouch!

myrtle2 wrote
on Sep 20, 2009 8:51 AM

I have been knitting for about 40 yrs,I have just heard the phrase Interweave knits .Is it a new type of knit or just a new word in the knitting,crocheting world?  Thank You Myrtle2. Love your column

2paw wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 2:34 AM

I just wanted to add that Wendy Bernard, talented though she may be, did not come up with the idea of Duct Tape dress forms. On her blog, in July 2005 she does say that: people emailed her with suggestions. They have been around for quite a while.

SharonL@9 wrote
on Sep 19, 2009 2:06 AM

Is Wendy Bernard the person who had this idea about duct tape forms which was in the Threads magazine several years ago?

barbara@3 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 9:55 PM

I have a serious problem with theknitting pattern I am doing.  I am to the point where I am shaping the sleeves.  It says to cable knit in the first 3 stitches at the beginning of the next 8 rowsw.  What I need to know is how to do it.  As I read the directions it says to insert your right needle between the first and secons second sts on the left needle. cast the uyarn around right needle as if to knit, draw loo[ through the front.  Transfer thenew st. by inserting the tip of the left needle from roght to left into the loop and slippit over to the left hand needle.  If I read it right then the yarn is back what would be 6 stitches.  That doesn't seem fight to me.  are you suppose to transfer those to the right needle after you get the cable knit stitches done?

DebD@16 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 7:58 PM

what a great idea for making custom dress forms! recently i've wished i had one so that i could design some clothes that would nlook good on ME. now maybe i can try.  thanks. oh, and thanks for the crochet pattern for the can't -hike-without-my-knitting-bag.

FaiWay wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 7:01 PM

ok that all looked like a lot of fun. wish I knew anyone else that even knit here at all.. but I dont. where did you get the squirt bottles for all of this? looks like hair dye bottles to me.

Fay

Pam.bochel wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 3:13 PM

I used to enjoy the Knitting Daily weekly newsletters - what on earth has happened to them?! Sorry... but the content and patterns seem to have changed direction - and they are not to my personal liking! Will be unsubscribing.

on Sep 18, 2009 1:05 PM

My daughter presented a program on making a dressform with duct tape at the 2005 Swaparama in NYC.  Lots of fun.  What took you so long?

JerriC wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 12:01 PM

I have been thinking about making the dress form for myself and was wondering what type of clothes do you wear for dress forming?

avidbeader wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 11:46 AM

Just wondering why the I-Won't-Hike bag is called a "knitting" bag when it's crocheted...

AmiF wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 10:40 AM

Wendy Bernard, although a wonderful sweet lady, did not come up with the idea for a duct-tape-double. That concept has been around for a long time and a search engine will show you multiple how-tos online.

MarilynR@3 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 10:28 AM

Hey!

You certainly must have put on a sleeveless top before you taped the duct tape to your body! Or did you wrap yourself with a baggie first?

What fun,

Marilyn Richter

MirandaJ wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 9:55 AM

I took a look at the Weekend issue at the store, and put it back without buying. There was zero of interest to me in it -- nothing at all that was new or challenging, let alone fashionable. In the past I've loved Interweave, and looked forward to finding new projects, but lately it's been very blah, with far too many beginner/easy projects.

Come on, pet beds? What's next -- potholders? Where are all the stylish designers (like Norah Gaughan) that you once featured?

Perhaps you're stretching your designers too thin -- seems as if there's a new version of the 'zine out every month.  I long for the old Interweaves that were so save-worthy....

CarolynI@3 wrote
on Sep 18, 2009 9:41 AM

I got a copy of the Knits Weekend already and have been trying to decide what to try first.  Thanks for all the tips, I also want to try the Magic loop for the next pair of socks I make.

Carolyn Ikeda