Knit up a Blizzard (Scarf), Plus a Free Edging Pattern!

Oct 21, 2009

A note from Kathleen: I'm always inspired by each new issue of PieceWork magazine, and the November/December issue doesn't disappoint. It hits newsstands on November 3, and I think there are some projects in there that will have you running to your local yarn shop to pick up supplies for holiday gifts. Here to talk about the November/December issue of PieceWork magazine is editor Jeane Hutchins. She recommends some heirloom quality knitted accessories to both keep you warm this winter and to present to your loved ones this holiday season.

You'll want to pick up your copy of PieceWork right away (or order a subscription here) so you can get started on some of these projects. In fact, why not get started right now on the free border pattern near the end of this email! It's a beautiful, classic pattern that ace-knitter Ann Budd adapted from a Victorian-English pattern book.

Here's Jeane to introduce this fabulous new issue of PieceWork.

A Blizzard of Knitting

It snowed in Colorado last week—big, puffy flakes fell from the sky for hours. Watching them was mesmerizing; waking up the next morning to a snow-covered landscape was one of those special Colorado moments. With temperatures in the teens though, I really wished I had Inna Voltchkova’s glorious Meteliza Scarf from the November/December issue of PieceWork around my neck!

Inna, who grew up in Ukraine and learned to knit when she was ten, used an angora yarn named Blizzard for the scarf; "meteliza" is the Russian word for “blizzard.”

The yarn evoked memories of Inna’s childhood, in particular her angora knitted hat whose earflap shape she used for this scarf along with traditional Orenburg lace motifs—Cat’s Paw and Mouse Print. In Orenburg lore, the cats are chasing the mice!

Do check out the christening bag project in this issue, too. The first ninety rounds are knitted; the remainder is worked in broomstick lace, a form of crochet.

The designer, Karen Hooton, became intrigued with broomstick lace a number of years ago, and her combination of the two techniques is brilliant. I am always amazed by the ingenuity of our contributors.

The small, child’s hat shown here is in Jacqueline Fee’s collection of “homeless knittings.”

Jacqueline, intrigued by its unusual three-rib construction, which allows the hat to expand into the fullness of a beret, recreated it. It definitely will delight the lucky child who receives it.

Since this is last issue of the year, our thoughts turned to the holidays (and the first snowfall of the season helped). Nancy Bush’s evening stockings knitted with yarn that has a touch of glitter will be perfect for a holiday party.

The small heart-shaped ornaments are quick-to-knit projects; they were worked in two weights of yarn: fingering and sport. Use them as ornaments for holiday trees and package adornments.

We also hope they will inspire you to enter PieceWork's 2010 contest-Heart Ornaments. You could win $500 in cash!

We know you'll enjoy all this issue of PieceWork has to offer. We sure enjoyed putting it together for you.

—Jeane

________________________________________________________

A Wheat-Ear Border to Knit
Adapted by Ann Budd

If you’re searching for another quick-to-make idea, here’s a small project from our archives. Ann Budd adapted “The Wheat-Ear Border” from Volume 2 of Weldon’s Practical Needlework, a popular source for patterns in Victorian England. She used size 8 pearl cotton thread and size 0000 (1.3 mm) needles. We attached the edging to pillowcases, but that’s just one possibility. I think the edging will make a spectacular garland on a holiday tree!

CO 20 sts. P 1 row. Work Rows 1–16 until piece is desired length. BO all sts.
Row 1: (RS) Sl 1, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, (k2tog) 3 times, k2, yo, k3, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, (yo) twice, k2—22sts.
Row 2: K3, p1, k3, p13, k2.
Row 3: Sl 1, k1, yo, k2tog, (k3tog) twice, yo, k1, yo, k2, (k2tog, yo) twice, k5—20 sts.
Row 4: BO 2 sts, k4, p8, p2tog, p1, k2—17 sts.
Row 5: Sl 1, k1, yo, k3tog, yo, k3, yo, k2, (k2tog, yo) twice, k1, (yo) twice, k2—20 sts.
Row 6: K3, p1, k3, p11, k2.
Row 7: Sl 1, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, yo, (k2, k2tog, yo) twice, k2tog, yo, k5—22 sts.
Row 8: BO 2 sts, k4, p13, k2.
Row 9: Sl 1, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, k3, yo, k2, k2tog, yo, (ssk) twice, yo, k2tog, yo, k1, (yo) twice, k2—23 sts.
Row 10: K3, p1, k3, p14, k2.
Row 11: Sl 1, k1, (yo, k2tog) twice, k2, yo, k1, yo, (ssk) twice, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yo, k2tog, yo, k5—22 sts.
Row 12: BO 2 sts, k3, p3tog, p2tog, p9, k2—17 sts.
Row 13: Sl 1, k1, (yo, k2tog) twice, k2, yo, k3, yo, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yo, k1, (yo) twice, k2—20 sts.
Row 14: K3, p1, k3, p11, k2.
Row 15: Sl 1, k1, (yo, k2tog) twice, k2, yo, k2tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2tog, yo, k5—22 sts.
Row 16: BO 2sts, k4 p13, k2—20 sts.

Wet-block edging to open up and set the lace pattern.

Comments

leolaura wrote
on Nov 2, 2009 9:57 PM

Does anyone have a pattern for a childs hat with an attached scarf?

leolaura

Grammajan wrote
on Nov 1, 2009 1:37 PM

You mention "Homeless Knittings" by Jacqueline Fee.  Where may I find this pattern?    Thank you.    Grammajan

GailS@42 wrote
on Oct 28, 2009 5:34 PM

For Priscilla,  The angora "Blizzard" yarn is from my Angora rabbits.  You can get the yarn from me.  My phone number is 503-873-3128 -- I live in Oregon.

Take care,

Gail Smith

judicmusolf wrote
on Oct 24, 2009 9:03 PM

where is the pattern for the charity hat ?

I am always amazed by the ingenuity of our contributors.

The small, child’s hat shown here is in Jacqueline Fee’s collection of “homeless knittings.”

PriscillaP@3 wrote
on Oct 24, 2009 10:05 AM

The description of the Blizzard scarf indicates it is knit with an angora yarn called blizzard.  I can't find a yarn of that description.  I can find an alpaca yarn called Blizzard.  Can you tell me where to find the angora yarn?

besag wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 3:07 PM

This is acry for help! I just finish my first pair of gloves and I need HELP...When I knit the fingers a gap or hole was en between them,how can aboid this to happen

beatriz

millerb1@comcast .net

judyg8942 wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 12:50 PM

Knitting magazines are just not only the knitting, crocheting etc.  there seems to be always abunch of other junk in them that you are not interested in. I think it is a waste of money to subscribe to them.  I subscribe to several different magizine and the advertisement in them is awful.  More ads then usable info.  Then they want you to reup with a new subscription.

No  thanks

If you get one pattern out of the magazine for a little knitting or crochet pattern.... that's a lot of money in my book for a pattern.   There are many many things you can make for charity without having to pay for a pattern.

hmfsrs wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 12:00 PM

i wouldn't assume the Jackie Fee pattern is for charity knitting, it's from a collection called Homeless Knittings, the "s" on the end of knitting could imply something else.

with all of the free patterns you'd think readers would be thankful - they can't give everything away for free.

knitter417 wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 10:12 AM

Regarding the Piecework magazine I received.  I too was dissapointed in all the minitures as I have no interest in them.  I was hoping for across section of what the magazine is really like.  I cannot order the subscription based on what I received in my free issue.  It does look like more interesting patterns in the up-coming magazine

Knitter417.

judyg8942 wrote
on Oct 22, 2009 8:25 AM

Is your PieceWork - a magazine or a book?  I am interested in finding it.  I want to

make the "Homeless Knittings Child's Hat.  I know you want to sell as many magzines as possible but a pattern so easy as the Childs hat I would THINK you'd offer it for free

along with the 100's of other patterns you have.  Seeing that the pattern is under the

catagory of HOMELSS KNITTINGS..  It would be for a good cause.  Maybe someone

would really knit it and give it to the homeless shelters.  Hats, blankets, scarves are always

needed at the homeless shelter.

constance@6 wrote
on Oct 21, 2009 11:33 PM

How do you download free edging?  Thank you..............

DanielleA wrote
on Oct 21, 2009 8:50 PM

Dear smmoore@telus.net

BO stands for Bind Off

on Oct 21, 2009 5:27 PM

Hi Ann

I figured out what the abbreviation "BO" means after I posted my first comment.  Binding off.   No need to reply .

Sharon

on Oct 21, 2009 3:30 PM

Hi Ann Budd

I have a question about an abbreviation on your knitted Wheat-Ear Border pattern.  I have done quite a bit of knitting but I have never encountered "BO".  Would you please email me to let me know what BO means.  It is a very cute pattern and I agree that it would make a holiday tree garland.   That is what I would like to try with your pattern.

Look forward to your reply.

Sharon

WItatter wrote
on Oct 21, 2009 3:11 PM

I recently received my first issue of Piecework.  I was hoping for tatting patterns that weren't just copied from an old book.

Will there be new patterns or will it always be from books I already own, as I own almost all tatting books available?   That was my main reason for taking the subscription as I am always looking for new things to tat.

I do knit also, but the first issue was a disappointment as it was mostly miniatures and I have NO interest in those.

Looking forward to the next issue and hoping it will be more useful and not just a "history" lesson.  LOL

on Oct 21, 2009 3:06 PM

All of the items in this post are in the Nov/Dec issue of PieceWork.

Thanks for commenting,

Kathleen

JoyC wrote
on Oct 21, 2009 2:46 PM

I like the wheat-ear border a lot! Is anyone clever enough to adapt this as the ends of a simple scarf? I was trying to think of something and came up with maybe knitting it the width you want your scarf, binding off, and then picking up stitches along the edge and knitting away on your scarf, but then I do not know how you might attach the border to the other end when your scarf is the desired length. Of course, there's sewing, but I hate doing that. haha I'm sure it would be lovely as the sides of the scarf with garter or stockinette in the center as well, and that would be easier.

MaryB@12 wrote
on Oct 21, 2009 2:28 PM

Are all these items in the Nov-December Piecework or in the Knitted Gifts?  I am not clear from the posting where they are.   I am especially interested in Homeless Knitting.  Thanks.   Mary Bayer