Short and So Sweet: The Little Knitted Gift

Oct 28, 2009

Henry at ChristmasMy family has always made a big deal about the holidays. We have so much fun together cooking, eating, toasting and roasting each other, and shoveling/playing in the snow.

We've gotten really good at choosing gifts for each other, too. We take note of little things we say all year and try to pick out really meaningful gifts. (Although I did have to regroup one year after getting my brother a Dukes of Hazzard coloring book!)

And now that nephew Henry is around, the holiday fun has leveled up a notch or two! At four years old though, he's still a little bit more interested in the lights of Christmas than the presents! He loves the tree as much as I do.

In the last four or five years, I've been knitting gifts for my family, but as I've mentioned before on Knitting Daily, that might not happen this year, at least not to the degree it's happened in the past!

Maybe it'll be little gifts. I'll never be the gift-card type (not that there's anything wrong with that!), so I'll have to come up with some sort of handmade goodies!

Welcome to the Gift Parade

I think some of you might be in the same boat, so I thought I'd take a troll through the gift section of our free pattern collection and see what floated to the top. Here goes!

The Daisy Towel is so cute, with its little, embroidered flowers. It's a quick knit, made from cotton worsted-weight.    The Bride's Sachet isn't just for brides. Any gal would enjoy this delicate packet of good scent!   What child wouldn't want
to see a
Knit Father Christmas popping out of the top of a stocking on Christmas
morning?

Knitted Cuddlies

These polka-dotted Napkin Rings are
perfect for the holiday table, and even more perfect as a hostess gift.

House Slippers are the trifecta of the perfect gift: easy-to-make, cute, and useful. These are simply cut out of an old, felted, wool sweater.

Knitted Cuddlies are so cute! If you have a little one on your gift list, look no further.

And for the knitter in your life, how about a gift subscription to Interweave Knits? I received a subscription to Knits once, and it was so much fun to flip through the issue that was tucked in my stocking, only to have a card fall out that said it was the first in a subscription. I was so excited!

Cheers,

Kathleen

Comments

bizzylizzy wrote
on Nov 2, 2009 11:16 AM

Sitting at work on lunch break, wearing my beautiful socks knit in Koigu, I have to vote for your using Koigu for your gloves. I love the colors and the durability. My favorite sock yarn ever.

Enjoy - if I ever finish the 3 projects on my needles now, I may join you in this endeavor.

Bizzy Lizzy

on Oct 30, 2009 2:45 PM

Here are a few answers for you.

The stocking cap is in the pattern store: www.knittingdaily.com/.../28984.aspx (and it's also in the Winter 2006 issue of Knits if you have that on your shelf).

Kabira: Thanks for your feedback on the Webs email. We're gathering reader response from this, and yours will be included. Good thing Sandi's blogging once a week so you can still enjoy hearing from her. Here's the link to her blog in case you missed it: www.knittingdaily.com/.../needles.

I'm working on getting better instructions for the Bride's Sachet. I'm sorry I included this without getting the info in there first.

Tif57t: I'm not sure what pattern you're talking about. Give me the link and I'll take a look.

SarahS@18 wrote
on Oct 30, 2009 10:21 AM

What issue is that adorable "stocking cap" in?  Since I wear hand knit socks on my feet, I must have a sock to wear on my head.

JoyR@5 wrote
on Oct 29, 2009 4:48 PM

have you read the comments for the Bride's Sachet that you recommended?????

they stated that it is not clear at all and have not had any response from their requests since May!

Kabira wrote
on Oct 29, 2009 12:48 PM

This is a comment/complaint about the e-mail received 10-29 from Knitting Daily, with opening comment by Kathleen and titled Free offer from WEBS

I am so disappointed in Knitting Daily.  I can stretch my understanding to know that you are going to use our sign-up e-mails to advertize Interweave magazines and books -- I would prefer that we be asked separately if we wish to receive marketing e-mails in addition to the knitting column - but I am not so naive to think that anything is really 'free' and figure the Interweave ads are the price I pay for a 'free' column.  But the offer from WEBS - mistitled 'free' as it is not free, a purchase is required -- steps over the line for me.  If you are going to sell our names to other companies, tell us when we sign up and we can choose whether or not to sign up.  Don't masquerade behind the Kntting Daily address to now send out offers/market other companies as well.

Also -- and I have been debating about writing this for sometime -- the writing in Knitting Daily has gone downhill since Sandy left.  I was becoming numb to the difference, when I happened to look up an older column for a technique and realized how much better it was.  Sorry, Kathleen, but it is just so.  I am borderline about unsubscribing and the WEBS ad may just have put me over the edge.

tif57t wrote
on Oct 28, 2009 6:59 PM

I downloaded a pattern for a really cute Crochet Bracelet, however, in looking at the instructions for this Crocheted Bracelet it talks about knitting it.  Is it crochet or knit?  Problem with the pattern?

Tasha@3 wrote
on Oct 28, 2009 5:48 PM

I'm loving the green, red, orange and yellow stocking/cap pictured at the bottom of your newsletter page, in the order gift box at the bottom. Please show us where to find it!

katmandoooo wrote
on Oct 28, 2009 3:38 PM

Knitted Christmas cards! I took a weaving class once that the instructor ended by saying she would stay in touch with anyone who sent her a woven Christmas card. What a lovely idea!

rileydaisy wrote
on Oct 28, 2009 11:34 AM

I love this and enjoy my newsletter very much. I appreciate all the hard work you put into each one and the patterns.