Fill Your Calendar with Knitting Projects

Nov 9, 2009

Inspiration from Spin-Off

I love calendars, especially wall calendars, and I spend a lot of time every year in the bookstore choosing something that will inspire me every day. It's a tough choice, too, because with wall calendars, you look at one photo for a whole month.

I've said before how lucky I am to have this job, and my luck knocked on the door last week in the form of the UPS gal, who handed me a package containing what will be my wall calendar for 2010. It's the new Spin-Off Calendar, and it's truly inspiring to someone who loves all things yarny. The photo at left is so beautiful, and that's just one of twelve!

(I can't believe we're coming up on 2010, though. It sounds so futuristic—I thought we'd all be flying around in spaceships by now!)

As I looked through my new calendar, I started thinking about my knitting and some of the projects that are in my queue. I thought it might be neat to plan my knitting for the year. I know some of this won't happen—we all have things that come up to disrupt our knitting plans (like cool new patterns we must knit now!)—but it was fun to look through my bookshelves and my Ravelry queue and schedule some projects.

A Year of Knitting, a.k.a. "Best Laid Plans"

Spacer 10x10 pixels   Spacer 10x10 pixels       Spacer 10x10 pixels
Cabaret Raglan   Sculptured Lace Scarf   Soap Bubble Wrap Spacer 10x10 pixels Bacchus Socks
Norah Gaughan   Kenny Chua   Connie Chang Chinchio   Alice Bell

I've had the Cabaret Raglan in my queue almost as long as I've had my Ravelry account. I love the simplicity of the Cabaret—it's a raglan pullover, but the eyelets and two-stitch cable patterns really dress it up. I think I'll tackle this in January and February.

The Sculptured Lace Scarf is something that I can knit at the same time as the Cabaret Raglan, because I like to have more than one project on the needles. I love the tight lace and cable pattern in this design.

The Soap Bubble Wrap is knit from a flax yarn but I have a linen blend linen in my stash that will be perfect. This warm-weather beauty will be a good knit for the spring months. For my alternate project, it's got to be the Bacchus Socks. There's an option for knitting these without the bobbles on the foot portion, which I think I'll do so I can wear them comfortably with shoes. These socks are just beautiful.
  Spacer 10x10 pixels   Spacer 10x10 pixels       Spacer 10x10 pixels
Tangled Yoke Cardigan   Harvey Kimono   Simply Marilyn Spacer 10x10 pixels  Side Slip Cloche
Eunny Jang   Louisa Harding   Debbie Bliss    Laura Irwin

I really like a cardigan, and the Tangled Yoke is a classic. At a gauge of six stitches to the inch, it's a nice, light cardigan that won't add bulk. I like the fabric that's produced when I knit on size 5 needles, and that's the needle size called for in this sweater. The cable pattern on the yoke draws the eye toward the face, too, which is a nice feature. This project will hit during the summer months, and while I don't like to knit with wool in the summer, I do like to have a new sweater to wear in the fall, so I'll have to deal with it, won't I?

My second summer project will be a Harvey Kimono. If you have a little one in your life, these darling kimonos couldn't be more perfect. They're so cute and they knit up fast. There's an option for a boy version or a girl version.

In September and October, I'm penciling in Simply Marilyn. This pullover is just that: simple. The big cable up the front and the cowl add a classic, cozy feel, and the larger gauge makes quick work of this sweater. It's so pretty in pink, too—or maybe I should do it in a soft blue since I already have two pink sweaters!

The second project for fall is the lovely Side Slip Cloche. There's a sample of this hat at my LYS and everyone who tries it on looks great—even me! It's a sophisticated hat that's fun to knit. My mom's been asking for one since she saw it on the cover of Boutique Knits last fall, so I'll put this on my holiday knitting list for October.

I'm not going to fill up my calendar for November and December, because I know there will be a bunch of last minute holiday knitting that I'll want to squeeze in. Plus, some of these projects will creep into later months, I'm sure.

So that's the plan, folks! Why don't you take a few minutes to put your projects on the calendar? It's really helped me set my knitting priorities, and I've had fun looking at the beautiful photos in my calendar, too.

Cheers,

Kathleen

P.S. Interweave has come out with three new calendars, so if you're a quilter or a papercrafter, there's something for you, too.

Featured Products

2010 Spin-Off Wall Calendar

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $14.95

Calendar

13-month, 12" x 12" Wall Calendar with full color photographs of spinnings, tools, fiber, and handspun yarn, dates of festivals and other events relevant to spinners. Each month features a spinning haiku submitted by Spin-Off readers.

The Best Of Interweave Knits: Our Favorite Designs from the First Ten Years

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $24.95

Paperback

The Best of Interweave Knits showcases 25 stylish designs that stand the test of time - scarves, stoles, cardigans, and more.

Comments

LeslieA@3 wrote
on Jan 11, 2010 7:23 AM

Egads, I have so many possible "Gotta Knit" patterns, my calendar would have to run until 2049 (I'll be 100 years old then, so perhaps will no longer be knitting big projects <G>)

nancymalitz wrote
on Jan 6, 2010 4:39 PM

Kathleen,

I saw your list of knitting resolutions in the Knitting Daily e-mail.  Number 4 caught my eye:   "Do an entrelac project. I've never tried this method, and there's a beautiful shawl pattern that uses self-striping yarn and the entrelac technique. One of my Seattle knitting friends made it and I've coveted it ever since I saw it on her."

I just learned to knit entrelac this past year, after my son (whom I taught to knit) brought it to my attention.  I would like to know what pattern for an entrelac shawl using self-striping yarn you are talking about.  Can you tell me where to see/purchase the pattern?

Thank you, and "happy knitting" for 2010!

Nancy

nancymalitz@hotmail.com

RebeccaA wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 9:21 AM

I agree with you in that I like to have more than one project going.  One of my projects is the "Knotty and Knice Socks" from the same INTERWEAVE KNITTING issue as the "Bacchus Socks" that I also made this past year.  The name "Bacchus" and grapes design seemed to lend itself to purple, so that's what I made mine out of.  Of course, as the illustration showed, they can look attractive in other colors.  The socks turned out to my satisfaction.  I had to add an extra "non-grape" repeat to my long, narrow foot, and they are comfortable to wear.  I am wondering if I should attempt a "cuff-down" design because then the grapes would have a more authentic "droop" to them!  (Maybe that can be one of my resolutions for this year.)

My 2008 New Year's resolution was to "become a more adventurous knitter," and I did fulfill that resolution by doing an entrelac project - namely the socks from the INTERWEAVE KNITS Spring 2007 issue, which I posted.  For those who would prefer a less ambitious or non-sock project, might I suggest the "Little Entrelac Bag" from the Holiday 2009 issue is a great "starter" project and works up quick.  (I made 5.)

Bobbie@13 wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 8:50 AM

The Hoodie vest looks like a great January project, but I'm unable to find the issue of Knitscene containing the pattern.  Can you help me?

Kathleen, tackle an entrelac pattern but as suggested practice knitting backwards.   Sure makes it faster and it's so much fun!

Bobbie

Phyllis@27 wrote
on Jan 5, 2010 6:58 AM

Kathleen -- you mentioned an entrelac shawl that a friend had made. Can you refer me to a pattern? I just learned this technique and love it. Would like to move to a larger project. Thanks!

on Jan 4, 2010 7:34 PM

Kathleen,

I got the Best of Interweave book as a christmas gift and I just love some of the things inside. I think it is a great idea to do a project calendar as well! I also intend to do an entrelac shawl as well as a clapotis this year. Also I intend to put more color in my life in knitting. I do it in the way of hand dyed yarns however have not done due diligence in color stranding but would like to master it at some point. I use ravelry all the time to see the project knitted in different yarns and variations and to see the creativity from person to person.

Thanks for sharing!

Denise

windrider wrote
on Jan 4, 2010 6:38 PM

I just bought Boutique Knits at Borders and the Side Slip Cloche is one I've flagged. But I think I'll start with the tam with buttons and Argyle lace.

on Jan 4, 2010 2:48 PM

Hi Kathleen!  I admire your calendar and your knitting resolutions.  I tried something similar last year.  Before you try entrelac (which is such fun) be sure you practice knitting backwards so that you don't have to turn the work as much.  I did Jojolands Autumn shawl before I learned this technique and am longing to make another now that I know how!  I'll bet it will be much faster.  Off  now to organize my desires and my stash!!  Jill

HarmonyO wrote
on Jan 1, 2010 3:30 PM

Hey Kathleen ~ love your version of Knitting Daily!  From your New Year's post, could we get more views of the "little red sweater"?  I'd really like to see what the back hem and back of the collar do.  Could you talk about the STITCH in that pattern?  What IS it?  It looks very thick and snuggley.  I'm very challenged in the "pattern-following" department ~ but this looks like something I might be able to manage. Anybody interested in a slow-speed Knit-A-Long?  Thanks, and Happy New Knitting!

Fawn@3 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 7:57 PM

Kathleen I would like to ask if you could help me..I saw a different way that you

had on the newsletter of knitting socks. It was done with one long circular

knitting needle with the extra part of the needle pulled out to the side..I can not

remember what you called this kind of knitting and I believe you had a video to show how it is done..also you were talking about graphs like with the Monkey Socks.. I have lost my copy.. can you help.

fawn

on Nov 10, 2009 12:27 PM

That's interesting, Clair. Thanks for pointing it out. As I went though the Interweave collection and pulled out projects that appealed to me, I guess I was in a pastel, solid mood. I usually do knit earth tones and solids, though, so this isn't a surprise to me.

That's part beauty of knitting, though—you get to choose the colors that appeal to you most!

Kathleen

JulieV wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 4:48 PM

Does anyone know, what is the lace in background of the Piecework trial subscription graphic, that came in the last KD newletter? If it's crochet it would make a lovely summer shawl.:)

ClaireB@2 wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 11:42 AM

Wow!  A whole year of knitting and not a single color project!  To some of us, knitting without many colors is like trees without leaves -- what's the point?

on Nov 9, 2009 10:24 AM

If you want to see more photos, check out the Ravelry.com entries for these projects! It's such a great resource for photos of patterns and to see how other people work the project. Check our reader gallery, too—there are some great projects photos.

venera wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 10:04 AM

This looks like it would be a good list.  I'd like to look at the garments a little more closely, but when clicking for a larger picture I only get sent to the book with the pattern.  That's a good thing, but I want to see the garment to see what is special about it.  It does sound like a good way to prioritize your knitting queue though!