Interweave Knits Accessories Preview!

Nov 16, 2009

Remember that hilarious line from the movie Steel Magnolias: "the only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize"? Well, our new special interest publication, Interweave Knits Accessories, is a collection of patterns that'll keep you from becoming an animal for years and years!

With more than 60 favorite projects (at about 25 cents per pattern!) from the pages of Knits, KnitScene, and Interweave books, Interweave Knits Accessories is packed with patterns. You'll find pages and pages of scarves, hats, socks, gloves, and mittens—quick projects to go with everything in your wardrobe.

I love small projects because you can practice your skills on a small scale, perhaps challenging yourself a little here and there! And in today's economy, we could all use a couple of one- or two-skein projects, right? Shop your stash to find yarn for many of the patterns in Interweave Accessories

You'll also get several popular "Back to Basics" tutorials, such as Finishing Details, Circular Knitting, Getting Started with Socks, and the Grand Plan Mitten Chart (I'm going to check this one out ASAP!).

Here are some of my favorite projects:

Spacer 10x10 pixels   Spacer 10x10 pixels
 Koolhaas Hat    Forbes Forest    Orenburg Lace Triangle Spacer 10x10 pixels
 Jared Flood    Kathy Zimmerman    Galina Khmeleva

I've admired the Koolhaas Hat since it debuted in the first issue of Interweave Knits Gifts, so I think it's about time to make one! I like the unisex appeal of this hat, and Jared Flood's designs are always a pleasure to knit. Forbes Forest is also a great unisex design, one that will work equally well with a fancy coat or a down vest. The Orenburg Lace Triangle is so beautiful—I love a stylish shawl, and this one is timeless.

Spacer 10x10 pixels   Spacer 10x10 pixels
 Sideways Grand Hat    Subway Mittens    Citrine Socklets Spacer 10x10 pixels
 Laura Irwin    Colleen Meagher    Marilyn Webster

The Sideways Grand Hat is a wonderful blend of fashion-forward and vintage style. This is one that looks good on many face shapes. You'll love the handy pocket in Subway Mittens, whether you need a spare subway token or an extra quarter for the parking meter! I love anklets, and the Citrine Socklets are cozy, pretty, and comfortable. They're designed with a beautiful silk-merino yarn, too, one that'll keep your tootsies warm throughout the winter.

So check out the preview for all of these projects and many, many more! I know you'll enjoy this wonderful collection as much as I do.

Cheers,

Kathleen

P.S. Glove update! Thanks to all of you who chimed in on my yarn choices for the gloves I'm making. More than 400 of you commented! I ended up choosing the Koigu because of several comments about the wearablilty. Votes-wise, I think the Malabrigo came in first, followed by the lost-tag green, then the Koigu. I weighed the green, and I was afraid I didn't have enough to make both gloves—wouldn't that be awful?! I have a dim memory of making a pair of baby booties and a hat from that green . . . So, Koigu it is! I've cast on and I'll post photos as I go. Thanks again for making this so much fun!

Comments

on Nov 23, 2009 6:41 AM

Absolutely appalling, I was coming over here to comment on the cheap and nasty trick of reprinting patterns and presenting them as a new magazine when I read the other comments about the price. Seriously? Double the price of your regular magazine for a bunch of patterns that have already been published?

Now I can see why all of the free patterns disappeared from the knits site a few years ago. Poor form, and very disrespectful of your (possibly formerly, after this) loyal customers.

I'm just glad I didn't preorder this magazine before I found out that it was a complete rehashing of things I'd already paid for.

Jayannell wrote
on Nov 17, 2009 5:41 PM

Reuse seems to be the trend for publishers, and who isn't feeling recession pressure? But do you expect your readers not to notice? It might not have been so bad if you hadn't doubled the price of the magazine, but $15 is really out of line when a hard-bound book costs just a little more. I agree with the comments expressed here, and I feel the same about the "Holiday Gifts" issue. I bought it for $7.99 two years in a row; I won't be spending $15 for this year's offering. Hope Interweave is listening.

JoanneS@11 wrote
on Nov 17, 2009 2:27 PM

Ouch...I just paid $15 for a collection of patterns I already own.  Old patterns for a HUGE price.  I am also extremely disappointed.

RonaS wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 11:42 PM

I was excited when I heard that the preview was up. I was dissappointed though when some of the patterns bonus photos were so dark. It was difficult to clealry see the detail in several of the patterns. For the most part, I can't wait for the issue to come out so I can peruse the features and patterns much more thoroughly.

Jas@3 wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 7:21 PM

It is very sad to see that the great magazines have gone from $7.99 to $14.99 a book, which really renders them too expensive. I would have bought both this one and the Holiday gifts if they were reasonably priced the patterns look like a lot of fun, but the price is ridiculous.

signed

disappointed knitter

SharonC wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 4:38 PM

Well, I'm another one who won't be buying this special issue. I, too, already own most of the patterns.

AnitaM wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 3:58 PM

Could you please let us know when the next standard issue of IK will be out?  As an Australian subscriber, it is extremely frustrating that you have seemingly delayed it's publication for the sake of the special issues.

I have nothing against you putting them out, I think they are a great idea (although I must agree about the Accessories edition being full of patterns that regular subscribers already have) but it takes up to 2 months before IK issues are available in Australia!!!  I have looked into buying from the IK store and having them sent, but the postage costs are way too high.

One of the reasons I subscribe is so that I know I can get my knitting mag regularly.  I'm now reduced to stalking my local newsagent in the hope that I can get the special issues when (IF!!) they come in.  Often they only get in the one copy, as it is not a local publication.

I'm happy if you continue to put out additional special issues, but they should be just that - additional - and they should not delay the publication of the standard issue.  It seems somewhat disloyal to your subscribers - we pay for a quarterly magazine - it should be delivered quarterly.

PiaffeAtX wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 2:45 PM

As a person who loves to knit/crochet bags, I have noted that this makes the third special edition from Interweave without one single bag in it. What gives? Surely even people who live in the far north can only wear so many scarves and hats. I live in Tennessee and have zero interest in hats, scarves, or gloves/mitts. It's just too warm to wear them 90+% of the time.

Sorry, I haven't bought the last two special editions and I probably won't buy this one, unless the socks call to me enough.

Robin Campbell

SallyS@22 wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 2:38 PM

Be careful that you don't spread yourself too thin with all these specialized magazines.

It used to be really fun to get one great big magazine with tons of patterns in it around the holidays. Now, we have to wonder what is coming next and with the economy the way it is, some of us have to wait to see if the next magazine will have more of what we want.

Elizabeth wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 12:05 PM

I, too, was very disappointed in both the price (outrageous) and the content of the Accessories magazine.  I already own almost all of these patterns since I used to suscribe to Interweave Knits.  I have recently let my suscription to Interweave Knits expire, since I have not been inspired by any of the patterns in the last two years.  The patterns are often extremely complicated and require a lot of fitting.  I think the quality of the magazine has changed.  I always get the Holiday Knits, but this year I checked it out first at my LYS.  There was nothing in it I felt I would make (see above) and it was extremely expensive for a knit magazine.  Sorry, Interweave Knits, you have lost me.

GwenB@3 wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 10:07 AM

$15 U.S. for a paper cover magazine? Ummm... sorry, I'd rather buy yarn and bend my brain around designing my own. Thanks, anyway.

DeborahJ@10 wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 8:07 AM

I really have to say that I was appalled at the cost of this magazine.  I am a reader of Intervweave Knits and used to subscribe but, subscription or not, I bought most of the issues.  This stopped with the Christmas 2009 issue.  I was at the checkout when I noticed the price and immediately took the magazine back.  The price is way too much to pay for an American magazine. I have not bought one thing of Interweave Knits since.  Besides, looking at these pictures from the Accessories issue, I must say I already have most of these in a book--and the book cost just a little bit more than what you are asking for this magazine!

on Nov 16, 2009 8:00 AM

I actually love that Interweave has been reprinting the Favorite patterns in these special magazines.   (it does say 60+ Favorites clearly on the cover which I assume means they have been gathered from various Interweave publications).  I only started knitting a few years ago and only discovered Interweave a couple years ago so I don't have the old magazines.   In fact, one of the Shawls included, the Orenburg Lace Triangle, is a pattern I've been actively looking for so I'm thrilled to see it reprinted!!

Sarnob wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 7:31 AM

I too am disappointed by the recycling of old patterns into a new and expensive magazine. Will not buy this issue.

on Nov 16, 2009 7:25 AM

Disappointed that old patterns - both published and free - have been recycled into a 'new' magazine and smacked with a whopping price tag. The large price tag is fine - if you are featuring new designs.

AnitaD@2 wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 7:11 AM

I usually love your magazines so with great anticipation and enthusiasm I bought this magazine last week at my LYS without looking at the contents. DISAPPOINTED!!! I already had most (and I mean most) of the patterns from other sources.  Even on this preview from Interweave Knits I have over half the patterns advertised. I feel cheated. Anita

LynnB wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 7:04 AM

I just finished a Koolhaas hat, in a Sundara Yarn silky merino, and is it beautiful!  What a great pattern!  and what a lovely yarn to make it from - soft and shiny (just like my hair!! ;)

HeleneH wrote
on Nov 16, 2009 6:56 AM

I was very disappointed - i went to order the new IK Accesories mag - by the time you charge me for shpping and tax - it's $20.  seems unreasonble.  I'll go look and hope my LYS has it.  Thanks anyway.  Sounded lovely.