2009 Winter Knits Preview!

Nov 18, 2009

Paper LanternsA note from Kathleen: My friendly UPS gal brightened my day again on Friday and delivered the winter 2009 issue of Interweave Knits! I was on my way to A Grand Yarn, my LYS, so I slipped my copy into my knitting bag to show it off at the shop. And guess what, it was a hit! Several of my buddies were there and they all gathered around and ohhed and ahhed.

I really love the "paper lanterns" by Kristi Schueler. They're knit out of Louet Euroflax Sportweight, which I have in my stash. I'm adding this pattern to my home dec knitting list.

It's your turn to browse now, so here's editor Eunny Jang to introduce this fun new issue.

_______________________________________________________________________________

The winter issue of Interweave Knits is here!

This is my first real winter in Colorado. We've already had two major snowfalls, and the night temperatures are dropping quickly. I've put my beloved flats aside for lined, waterproof boots; I've put de-icing washer fluid in my car; I've bought an electric kettle, the better to make boiling-hot tea in a hurry. And I'm approaching my knitting with new enthusiasm. I'm ready.

Whole books have been written about the soul warming knitting can do, but this winter I'm most interested in the practical warmth a lapful of yarn provides. Slippers to guard against cold floors, cozy throws for curling up under, good, honest wool in mittens and hats and gloves.

Alpaca Pleats JacketThere is something solid and reassuring in knitting, backed by centuries of real application: When we knit, we make something with our hands, and then use it to make life more comfortable, more beautiful, better. It's a pretty good deal.

In this issue of Interweave Knits, we're taking our knitting explorations in a number of different directions: We're taking a look at how simple constructions can benefit from just a little adornment ("All in One"); ways to explore the usual yarn + knitting = fabric equation ("Weighty Matters"); cables and cable lookalikes ("All Tangled Up); stranded colorwork in some new guises ("Strands"); and what positive and negative space can mean with knitting ("A Stark Contrast").

We're also taking a closer look at reversible cables, where pop culture commentary and knitting traditions meet, and taking you on a tour of knitting around the world. There's enough inspiration to send you off on a dozen knitting journeys of your own. Sweaters for men, sweaters for women and children, fun gift items and ways to fill your home with your craft—we've got it all.

Keep learning new things, keep exploring, keep knitting. What are you knitting to stay warm this winter? Let us know!

Cheers,

Eunny

Comments

NinaE@3 wrote
on Nov 21, 2009 8:48 PM

wow--this looks like the best issue yet, and this is coming from a super-picky knitter. You guys hit the perfect balance of wearability and innovation here! Love the paper lamp idea, and the cover sweater is exquisite.

KathyB@44 wrote
on Nov 20, 2009 5:44 AM

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I am in LOVE with the cover sweater, from its rich color to its classic details. I may have to buy the yarn this weekend!

pkilmer wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 11:42 AM

I can't wait to buy 2009 Winter issue and get started on Nora's sweater and Alma's scarf.  So much knitting, so little time.

on Nov 19, 2009 11:07 AM

I received my winter copy of Interweave Knits and I LOVE so many of the patterns, I don't know where to begin.  Outstanding issue--keep up the excellent work--I like the changes and format over the years.  I'll keep subscribing, most certainly.

Ann in Atlanta.

Lynn G. wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 10:40 AM

I can't find how to send a comment directly to the editor of IK or to its graphic designers and would very much appreciate it if you'd pass this along: I know that there had been many requests to move the pattern instructions back to being with their corresponding main photos instead of in the back of the magazine with reference photos, as you had done last year.  I am never one to send negative feedback, as the magazine is great in general, but I hope you will take this feedback very seriously:

The new design of the Winter 2009 issue is a MAJOR problem.  Design should never diminish function, and in this case it does so dramatically. First of all, the typeface used in the pattern instructions is fainter and thinner, making it much harder to read. Secondly, it has been applied over a pastel background, diminishing the contrast significantly (in past issues, you used color on the side margins but set the pattern type against a white background for maximum contrast. Third, most of us do not like to write on our magazines but make one photocopy for personal use.  If we try to use our home all-in-one printers to make such a copy, now we have to waste a lot of ink on the pastel background and set the printing to extra-dark in the hopes of improving the contrast between the new, thinner typeface and the background color.  Finally, the placement of the patterns is terrible now.  It's ridiculous that some patterns begin at the very bottom of a page, where it is super-hard to find them. They are now spread over more total pages, which makes it harder to copy the one you need and to put it in a sheet protector for personal use.  Also, the reference photos are much much smaller than they were in past issues (almost useless), but you haven't saved a single page in the total length of the magazine by shrinking all of these things.  Given that fact, I don't see any reason for the harder-to-read type or for the smaller photos.  The idea of grouping items by knitting technique still could be used with the old format from last year, which was far superior and user-friendly.  I hope that you will take this feedback seriously because I am a disabled adult with migraines who will find it EXCEEDINGLY difficult to read any of these patterns and because many knitters are older and will face similar vision problems.  If the design is not corrected in future issues, I may have to cancel my subscription because these changes, which may be artistically lovely, render the magazine virtually unusable to a significant subset of your subscribers.  Please return to more legible type on a white background and start each set of instructions at the top of a page. Thank you.

Stacy wrote
on Nov 19, 2009 9:11 AM

I'm a fairly new knitter and I'm definately knitting for warmth this winter!  I'm working on several scarves for Christmas gifts, a baby blanket, some fingerless gloves and some gloves with a mitten top - all for gifts.  I've yet to make something for myself, really.  I really like reading everyone's comments.  It makes me feel like I've got some knitting friends to share things with even if I don't know any of you.  I really appreciate all that you all have posted.

Anyway, I'm hoping to make myself a scarf for winter after I finish the gifts.  It's beginning to get cold!!! :-)

JocelynV wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 11:30 PM

How nice. Would be even better if I receive my IK Fall 2009 issue before this one comes out.  Appalling service by the way, I have pre-paid 2-years of sub and I had to wait over 3 months for my Summer 2009 issue due to back-order.  You'd have thought since a paid subscriber I would get a copy alloted just for me.  Sorry for the rant but I'm just not happy with the service.

JOG wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 9:36 PM

The Winter Issue is a home run!  This is the best in a long time.  There are 3 or 4 sweaters that I really love and would like to start today!

LindaP@5 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 7:44 PM

Well, since I live in Southern California, I don't knit up lots of wool hats and mittens.  But I do knit cotton/wool sweaters and scarves and even afghans.  I just finished a bamboo/rayon lace prayer shawl for a relative in Phoenix who is going through chemo.  Right now, I'm working on a felted bag, a wool sweater to wear when I go to Ohio to visit my daughter!  Even those of us who live in warm climates knit all winter!

NicoleZ wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 6:23 PM

Wow,

What a great issue.  I especially love the cover sweater.  I really need a warmer sweater for the winter.  Right now I am doing some Christmas knitting.  I finished the Market Basket shawl for my aunt, and am working on a really pretty stole by designer Anne Hanson for my cousin.  I am busting out the stash this year for gifts ( my attempt at frugality...or just an excuse to buy more yarn? Not that I need one.)

Well, I can't wait for my issue to arrive.  Great job IK.

Happy Knitting,

Nicole

pamelasilver wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 5:54 PM

Just to let you know - I live in Austin, Tx and I am knitting for my daughter in Boulder, Co>

JoannaD wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 4:36 PM

I live in Colorado too!  Winters don't always start this early, Eunny.  Take heart, next year you might still be knitting with linen and cotton.

I'm knitting matching hats/cowls/and mittens in stranded color work this year and always have several pairs of socks on the go.  Did you know cowls are sometimes called 'headovers'?  Great name~

I have systemic sclerosis and Raynaud's, so knitting fills several needs for me:  needed warmth, keeping my hands limber, color and creativity to ward off the occasional frustration my illness causes me. Besides, a lap full of beautiful knitting is a great icebreaker in hospital waiting rooms!

SuzanneL wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 3:06 PM

What a TEASE!   I can't wait for my issue to arrive...I think first will be Nora's Sweater or maybe Alpaca Pleats Jacket or...or...or...you get the idea.  I love everything!

jessie gill wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 1:14 PM

Thank you for all great ideas I am receiving in your emails, I have been busy knitting socks socks and more socks from all different yarns and they have all been a great hits with family and friends.  It is summer here in Aus 43 degrees today but at least with the socks they don,t  keep you any warmer.  Not like having an afghan rug or large jumper in the making on your lap.

Cheers  J G Adelaide Australia

SharonR@2 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 11:00 AM

Hi Eunny, Colorado snow fall my delay your cuppa if the electricity fails and lines are downed. My wood stove works fine and in such an emergency the tea water heats up faster than you think. I am knitting a huge wrap to cozy up in when the wind blows through every tiny crack in the door.

But its so beautiful here its all worth it.

tarla wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 10:04 AM

I find the Knitting Daily newsletter very inspiring - it got me knitting again.  After a few pairs of socks to get warmed up I have now started on a guernsey pullover for my 11 year old son.  I am using two books: "Cornish Guernseys & Knit-frocks" by Mary Wright, and "Knitting Ganseys" by Beth Brown-Reinsel to design the sweater.  It is my second ever guernsey (I have a mother-in-law from Cornwall, and guernsey it must be!) and I'm finding it a little easier than the first time.  Beth's book demystifies the anatomy of the guersney.  I'm knitting it in Galway Irish Worsted Knitting Wool (all I could find locally)- a sport weight yarn on 3.25 needles so it's tight and weatherproof.  I like the features of a guernsey; the split band at the bottom, decorative seam stitches, underarm gussets, neck gussets, knitting the sleeves from the top down...  I would love to see more patterns and maybe some tips on these features if you could find an expert somewhere.    Thanks for the motivation!

on Nov 18, 2009 9:44 AM

What am I knitting to keep warm this winter?  Socks continue, but this year I learned to knit sweaters without a pattern or sewing any seams.  Visitors here can see my third ever (and most bizarre!) sweater at www.thedulcimerlady.com/extras.htm.

I get to go to my LYS today and look up the latest issue of Interweave Knits!  :>)

on Nov 18, 2009 9:30 AM

Thank you, Eunny, for your orientation to cold weather knitting: those details really set the tone.  Love your writing and the depiction of the several approaches to knitting in the next issue of IK.

Cheers,

Linda

mykidlets wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 8:53 AM

I started knitting a wool shawl for my sister back in July - back then, I didn't need the warmth like I do now!  I'm *almost* finished - only 1 more ball of wool to go!

BetsyR@3 wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 8:20 AM

Dear Eunny, I grew up in Colorado and I miss those moments in winter when the sunsets and everything looks blue before it turns to darkness. I remember those as peaceful moments. A comment about your electric tea kettle: water only boils so fast at high altitudes, but it only makes tea that much more welcome.

on Nov 18, 2009 7:43 AM

I always like to get inspiration från magasines, but also vintage projects and at the moment I am knitting a Bohus Knitting jumper from the 60-s called "The big Lace Collar". You can find it on my blog: 4.bp.blogspot.com/.../003.JPG

www.kristina.lakris.blogspot.com

on Nov 18, 2009 7:32 AM

I'm pushing really hard to finish a shawl for a Christmas gift, but also have a diaper soaker, an afghan, and a pair of socks all on different needles.  In between, I have finished piecing the last of four I Spy/Charm (640 fabrics) quilt tops for my children and am hand quilting a whole cloth baby quilt.  And the ideas keep coming...

InaH wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 7:31 AM

everyone in my family is getting boot socks for Christmas,then i need to finish the blanket-double bed size- I have started for my grandson.Also have several hats I want to make and now that I've seen some of the patterns in the latest Interweave book I may have to make a few of those.Think that will keep me busy for most of the winter . Ina

Glory wrote
on Nov 18, 2009 6:49 AM

I love all the Interweave issues and appreciate being informed when the latest issues hit the newsstands.  That being said, when I open my daily email from you I'm hoping for tips, new patterns, yarns, notions, recaps of recent shows, etc.  More often than not, your daily emails have become advertisements for your Holiday and Weekend special issues and other publications.   A bit more inspiration and a bit less advertising is what I wish for from you!