Local Yarn Shops: My Home Away from Home (plus an LYS $5 rebate!)

Nov 25, 2009

A Grand YarnTomorrow is Thanksgiving, and I have so much to be thankful for this year. I have a terrific job, lovely friends and family, a nice home, and a growing yarn stash. :) Seriously, though, I have had a fabulous year. Here's the story.

I moved from Seattle to Spokane last August, leaving behind a gaggle of wonderful friends, my beloved local yarn shops, and a vibrant city full of diverse neighborhoods. (And hellish traffic!) Spokane is my hometown  so I was looking forward to being back, but I was nervous about creating a community here, especially since I had just left such an amazing group of friends in Seattle. Enter my LYS here, A Grand Yarn.

I started with a bi-weekly stitch class, and I scored a spot at the annual retreat at a camp on one of the beautiful lakes that surround Spokane. Soon after, I started working and teaching classes at A Grand Yarn—my first day was actually Christmas Eve! Then I started knitting with a group of gals that came in every Saturday. These women became friends, and A Grand Yarn became my home away from home. I love walking in the door and being greeted with a "Hi, Kathleen! How are you?" And I'm always great because the minute I walk in the door I'm surrounded by beautiful yarn and samples of amazing projects—some knitted by me!

Working in knitting has been a dream of mine for a long time, and this year it came true in spades!

TricoterYOUR Local Yarn Store: Developing a Community

If you have an LYS, I encourage you to stop in and pick up their newsletter. The shop most likely has an open knitting group that you can join to meet other knitters. And take some classes! There are all kinds of classes offered at my LYS, and every LYS I've visited has a list of classes available, so try one. You'll meet people and learn new techniques.

Each LYS has its own personality, but I've found that one thing they all have in common is a welcoming atmosphere. I was driving in Pasadena, California last year and I glanced over at exactly the right time because I saw a yarn shop and there was a parking place right in front! I went in and ended up sitting for two hours, knitting and chatting with the ladies there.

On a recent visit back to Seattle this fall, a friend and I took a ferry to Bainbridge Island and visited the fabulous yarn shop there. They have a wonderful selection of yarn and the button options there are amazing! One of their teachers was there to teach a class to a group coming off of a crafts cruise to Alaska, and she gave my friend and me a couple of pointers on the linen stitch. We spent about three hours there, and many dollars, too!

One of the things I love about shopping at an LYS is the different yarns they each have available. This varies around the country, of course, because of climate, mainly. I visited a shop in Palm Springs, California, and they had an amazing array of cotton and linen yarns. Some shops specialize in a  certain type of yarn, too, such as sock yarn. One of the shops in Portland, Oregon has a lovely wall of sock yarn. When I stopped in there during the Sock Summit, they had such a variety of yarn to choose from it was hard to make a decision. I managed it, though.

Many of the yarn shops I've visited do charity projects, too. At A Grand Yarn, we've knit chemo hats for donation and we're currently knitting hats and scarves for homeless kids. This is a wonderful way to get your knitting to people who really need it. Check in with your LYS to see if they've got a charity knitting project in the works.

Churchmouse Yarns and TeasBut I Don't Have an LYS in My Town!

I know many of you don't have an LYS handy, but if you're reading this newsletter, you do have a computer handy, and that's the next best thing. Many shops have thriving mail-order businesses, so do some yarn shop web browsing—you'll find tons of shops you can order from! And there lots of fun features on shop websites, too: blogs, kits, project galleries, and so on.

If you're traveling, check out the LYS situation before you go—maybe there's a class offered during your visit, or a trunk show (a group of designs on display from a certain book or designer).

At Interweave, we love LYS's, so we want to give you a coupon for a $5.00 rebate on any Interweave product you buy at an LYS—just scroll down and print out the coupon. And have fun shopping!

And leave us a comment about your favorite LYS! Why is it your home away from home?

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, and know that I'm thankful for each and every one of you, Knitting Daily readers!

Cheers,

Kathleen
*************************************************************************************************************************

$5 Rebate valid ANY Interweave product through 12/31/2009

Comments

Gaile wrote
on Dec 29, 2009 5:33 PM

Why no rebate for those of us in Canada?

BeverlyJ@9 wrote
on Dec 21, 2009 12:45 PM

I could not use the coupon so I gave it to my friend for Christmas gift, she is learning the this will inspire her to keep going. BeverlyJ

eyarnell77 wrote
on Dec 9, 2009 10:23 AM

To Kim@168, The shop in Portland with a wall of sock yarn is Twisted at 2310 NE Broadway, www.twistedpdx.com. The best!

ChristineY@2 wrote
on Dec 3, 2009 2:02 PM

My favorite yarn store is in Ventura, CA where my grandson Trent lives. When my husband and I go to Ventura for a visit (we live in Northern California) I ALWAYS stop in at Anacapa Fine Yarns. They have a wonderful selection of yarns from the low to hi end. The Ladies of the store are helpful and it's a great place to get questions answered-or a problem solved! Many times I've gone in for "just a little help" and they've been very gracious and encouraging. I receive their e-mail news letter so I try to plan our family visits to match one of their great classes. A visit to the store works great. While my grandson is in school, I get some knitting done. So Anacapa Fine Yarns at 4572 Telephone Rd. #909 Ventura, CA is my LYS.

Jan Yoder wrote
on Dec 1, 2009 12:04 PM

This KnittingDaily was the last one I received.  Has something gone wrong at the office(!), or did I inadvertantly unsubscribe?  Anyway, I have really enjoyed the daily's, and hope I continue to receive them.  Blessings-Jan

Paige1955 wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 9:55 AM

Kathleen,

Loved this article on LYS! I always try to support my local shops and am on the lookout for new LYS when I travel. My favorite LYS here at home is

"Pins and Needles" in Ruckersville, VA.- Rt 29N  this is just about 15 miles north of Charlottesville, VA if you all are traveling be sure to visit! The owner Kathy is always friendly and greets you !  She tries to carry everyone's favorite yarns and always has something new!

Paige McGhee

dkennedy wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 9:11 AM

I traveled to China last year and looked up LYS in Beijing and Shanghai before i went.  i talked my guide in Beijing to help me track it down.  i bought some yarn without having a project in mind -- i would have bought more, but weight was an issue.  it was soooooo inexpensive.  In Shanghai i found a woman knitting in a park and although we didn't speak the same verbal language, we were ab le to speak the language of knitting!

mcello` wrote
on Nov 30, 2009 5:42 AM

My LYS, The Knitter's Edge in Bethlehem, PA, is new. It opened just last spring.  It's in a former bridal shop, so it has big bow windows which they have filled with couches and cozy places to knit.  The yarn is to die for, and the store is filled with samples and books and clever displays.  They send out a lovely newsletter twice a week and offer lots of classes (several a day) with open enrollment, just $6  for a 2-hour session.  I credit this store with getting me started on knitting again after a 15-year hiatus.  They even have a charity knitting group, for which they find special yarn at amazing prices. I could live there!

SharonM wrote
on Nov 29, 2009 2:15 AM

I too was taken aback that the rebate didn't apply for Canadian customers, but understand Kathleen's explanation.  However, I suspect that I wasn't as upset as other Canadian posters because I don't have a LYS that I'd patronize.

The closest LYS is not one I use except in emergency circumstance, as when I can't find the latest IK or Knitters or VK anywhere else.  It's an unwelcoming place for an experienced knitter and caters to beginners; the owner even rebuffed my attempt to join their knitting group by saying I wouldn't be 'comfortable'.  After that, I started buying on line.  I figure it's their loss! :-)

Amy@4 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 11:05 AM

Thanks very much for the incentive!  My LYS is K2Tog in Albany, CA.  Ellen, the owner, and her knowledgeable/accomplished staff offer classes, retreats, great sales, help/advice, and a great inventory.  The atmosphere is welcoming: big comfy chairs invite the shopper to sit a spell, the selection of books and accessories captivate me. Ellen's social consciousness drives her choice of inventory toward local manufacturers, developing country and women-owned goods, and offerings of charity knitting.   There is always something interesting going on at K2Tog!

Tiina@5 wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 8:44 AM

My LYS in Helsinki, Finland had 1 years birthday few weeks ago. Knitters were invited and we had fun and very good sallad and pie etc.

The name of the shop is LankaMaailma Nordia. Every third saturday of the month we have knitting meeting there.

Here is link to my blogentry of the birthday. www.tiinas.vuodatus.net/.../lankakaupan-synttareilla

PatriceM wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 4:55 AM

My LYS is Rosemary's Gift Shop in Corhish, ME (though she's moving a few towns over next year).  Rosemary has an amazing selection of years.  Her shop is huge, but cozy.

Rosemary is also very helpful with helping with knitting questions.  She has knitting clinics, where you bring in what ever you are working on and need help with or to learn tro knit or crochet.  There are also some classes scheduled, to learn a specific process (intarsia ect).

There's oepn knitting each week also.

It's a great place.

Gerry Mack wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 8:46 PM

How do we know what brand of yarn to buy in order to obtain the rebate?

Thank you.

Gerry Mack

otbmurph@springnet1.com

on Nov 26, 2009 6:20 PM

I'm vacationing in Washington state from Orange County, Calif  and if your ever in Washington state  YOU HAVE TO GO TOTHE BREMERTON/SILVERDALE AREA  and visit LINDA'S KNIT SHOP in  Silverdale.   The owner is a saint and the patience to match and it's a wonderful, busy, friendly shop with all yarn not just wool which a lot of the shops up here only  have. I AM GOING TO drop down and visit  THE GOOD YARN   IN GIG HARBOR before we go home.  I'LL HAVE TO LET YOU KNOW IF IT WAS WORTH THE DRIVE.  KATHY from california

nomi wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 2:01 PM

Too bad you haven't made this offer available to Canadians.

Molly8190 wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 1:26 PM

A Grand Yarn in Spokane is THE BEST yarn shop...two blocks from my condo near Manito Park.  I made my first sweater with a class from the talented staff at AGY in 2006.  We moved to Portland in 2007 and I have found many great yarn shops here too.  Abundant Yarns in Sellwood District recently moved to Spokane and will be doing online sales only from a home just a few blocks from A Grand Yarn on the South Hill.  There used to be a terrific Spokane yarn shop called Holy Threads on Washington Street in an old church rectory...very victorian and FULL of gorgeous yarns.  But they must have failed during the economic crises too as I don't find them when I'm back visiting Spokane.  Lets all pledge to support our LYS. Happy Thanksgiving Kathleen; and welcome back to Spokane!

grizzilda wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 12:43 PM

Kathleen,

I just joined Knitting Daily a few days ago and when I got this I thought, "Man that LYS looks familiar."  It should..I am in Spokane as well.  I was surprised and happy to see that this site has a local influence.

Amber

nknits wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 11:07 AM

We have a wonderful LYS in McMinnville, OR called Boersma's right downtown on 3rd St.  Great yarn selection and helpful staff.

For the BC person asking about WA yarn shops---WildFibers in Mt. Vernon on 1st St. is excellent.  They ship also.

Thanks for the LYS rebate---I'll head to Boersma's on Saturday!

on Nov 26, 2009 10:35 AM

This is my first time adding a comment but my LYS is so fantastic a place I had to add it to the list.  It is Unwind the Yarn Shop in Ft. Walton Beach, FL.  Ellen the owner is totally into her customers comfort and satisfaction.  She has a Snowbird Tea every Thursday afternoon for the Northern knitters. and twice a month she has a sit and knit event with wine and snacks.  In addition, twice a month she has a morning sit and knit with coffee, tea and breakfast snacks. She just had a wonderful wear your PJ’s to the shop sale.

Seung YounL wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 7:13 AM

I am disappointed it's not applicable in Canada... rrrrg.......

ZoeD wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 8:26 PM

My home LYS is Fibersmyth in Woodstock VA. Owner Elizabeth is a fellow spinner and shepherd as well as an acomplished knitter. Her classes--and my fellow classmates, have gotten my knitting on the right track. No more twisted stitches. My knitting friends there are the absolute best--we meet twice a month at the adjacent cafe, first sharing food and friendship, the on to the knitting! Earlier this year I spent two months in Pittsburgh while a family member had surgery at the hospital there--and I found a knitting home at Knit One, where they took me in and set me up with a Clapotis to knit while I was there, While I was there, my fiber friends at home were so supportive, sending encouragement in cards and emails and gathering gifts to present to me when I returned. Thanks for reminding folks to seek out their LYS--they offer a great selection of books, yarn, classes....and so much more.

AnnS@60 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 8:04 PM

Kathleen,

Thanks for your blog - I love getting them every day in my email inbox.  It's the little boost I need to get me through a busy day until I can get home and get back to knitting!

My husband and I celebrated my birthday on Bainbridge Island at Churchmouse - it was amazing!   I wandered the shop while he browsed through the bookstore nearby.  I bought 3 skeins of Koigu in the colorway that reminded me of the Pacific Northwest to make the linen stitch scarf they had displayed.  When my husband returned, he and the staff got into a great discussion of baseball and knitting; Seattle Mariners / Chicago Cubs and Stitch and Pitch.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the opportunity to reminisce about Seattle.  We hope to return soon.

And, on a sadder note: it appears the LYS in the Eau Claire area is struggling - lots of empty shelves and very little yarn to choose from.  We are hoping things will turn around soon.

RdL wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 7:31 PM

Again, you want our business but don't offer these coupons or specials in Canada. We are not Timbuktu, we DO buy your products but are hardly motivated to pick up your magazines, for example, if we are not considered valuable customers.

JoT@5 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 5:38 PM

Kathleen,

What a great article!  Thanks for sharing your warm account of your LYS.  I'm a LYSO and adore my customers and hope they feel as welcome at Knit Picky as you do in your local store.  At Knit Picky Yarn Shop, we also have a place to sit, knit and chat on our red leather couch!  To me, knitting is all about community.  I have seen amazing friendships blossom and grow, just as you mentioned!

If you're ever visiting North Carolina, please come see us in Winston Salem at Knit Picky Yarn Shop.  We'll save you a spot on the couch!

Jo

yarncrazy102 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 5:33 PM

I just discovered A Grand Yarn shop the other day while doing a yarn search online.  I sent an email but haven't heard back yet.  It's really hard to find a decent shop these days and I rely a lot on the internet.  I do miss, however, that one on one that you experience when going to a shop.  I live in Lewiston, ID but I cannot drive up to Spokane.  Even though we lived in Seattle for 10 years, we've been here an additional 10 years and I just haven't built the courage up to shop Spokane.  Thanks for sharing!

EllenD wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 5:16 PM

Kathleen has had a different experience from me.  The staff, and others, in the vast majority of yarn stores I've gone into have been diffident to snooty.  There have been a few nice ones, but more have been not  what I would call shopper friendly.  For this reason I have never felt bad about ordering online.

Incidentally, I have been in yarn stores across the US and Europe, so this is not a regional problem.

Also "she gave my friend and me" not "I" (unless you're from the English West Country - "yerrr, she gave I the pointerrr").

on Nov 25, 2009 4:37 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, Kathleen!

As an owner of a LYS, I want to thank-you for this article.

Best regards,

Marilyn Gural

The Knitting Basket

Phoenixville, PA

Dola wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 4:36 PM

Kathleen:  I have so enjoyed reading your blogs.  I live in Spokane and have been planning to go to The Grand Yarn to meet you but it has not yet happened.  Maybe after the holidays I will make it a point to go to the store.  There is another yarn store in Spokane, Sew EZ Too on Garland.  Thanks for your interesting posts.  Cheers, Dola

OsmiaL wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 4:26 PM

Happy Thanksgiving to all the U.S.  LYSs and customers.  This is such a good promotion.

Another disappointed Canadian :(   Reading the "fine print", it seems like even though Sandi works for Interweave, if she hadn't of moved to Canada, she could've used it.

Kathleen, I'm glad to hear you are looking into how to include Canada.

Nancy_Jane wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 4:25 PM

my comment is i wish we had a yarn shop somewhere a bit nearer than we do.

Salida Jane wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 4:00 PM

Love your comments about LYSs--I look for yarn shops everywhere I travel, even remote islands off the coast of Scotland!

However, as a former English teacher, I must mention your grammatical error in the paragraph about Churchmouse Yarns.  I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part, so you didn't really mean to write, "...she gave my friend and I..."; you meant to write, "...she gave my friend and me...", didn't you?  I thought so...

jordana2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 3:29 PM

Hi Everyone:

Wow, I had the great joy of visiting the Churchmouse Yarns and Teas last Christmas--it is fantastic.  I would recommend it to everyone.  Bainbridge Island is beautiful too.  Here in Salem, OR, I am afraid that our LYS is going out of business...I went by last month only to find that they had practically no yarn.  I guess I will have the internet as my LYS.

Thanks for the rebate even though I'm not sure I can use it anywhere...sadly $5 is not enough to justify a return trip to Churchmouse...

maxandsheba wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 1:58 PM

My favorite LYS is in Charlotte, NC.It's called Charlooe Yaen and they have open knitting group time on Wednesdays. I look forward to going there as I meet other knitters and pick up useful tips. One woman helped me with a shoulderette I'm making as I had to ripped it out 3 times. It has a beautiful lace pattern and that is messing me up. So, I've learned to count the pattern stitches along the way and now, I'm halfway done.

on Nov 25, 2009 1:12 PM

Printing out the coupon: if you right click on the coupon, you can copy it and then paste it into a Word document (or any word processing document) and then print it from there.

My wonderful Canadian readers: We truly wish that we could have extended the rebate program to you. This is the first time we’ve ever done a promotion like this and we are unfamiliar with Canadian rebate laws. We're working on this and extending the offer into Canada is certainly something we’ll consider in future offers.

Thanks,

Kathleen

JuliannK wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 12:58 PM

I tried to print the coupon, but my computer tells me there is a problem.  It shuts down my internet connection.   Is this my computer, or is anyone else having this problem?

on Nov 25, 2009 12:57 PM

I'm back, forgot to mention Portland's longest open yarn store: Northwest Wools, out in Multnomah Village in SW.  It is solid and dependable and worth the 2 bus transfer, or yeah with a bigger carbon footprint, car trip to indulge in their great inventory.  And, The Naked Sheep out in North Portland on Killingsworth to which I'm ashamed to say I/ve never been even though my son works not too far away.  I also forgot that all 8 Portland shops offer classes and open knitting nights.  They are staffed by talented folks who can answer questions or find someone who will.  In the past decade or so Portland has become a knitter's paradise with many yarnster venues including several Multnomah County Library branches offering open knitting groups staffed by knowledgable volunteers (I'm one) in comfortable meeting rooms near, you guessed it, a LYS.

KarlaK@4 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 12:56 PM

Most of the LYS here in Rochester know their regular customers by name.  I get all warm and happy when I walk in and they say, "Hey, Karla!"  I love going to our LYS because there, the folks all share a common addiction and no one rolls their eyes or says, "Don't you have enough yarn and fiber ALREADY, Mom???"  I feel normal there.  (Well, I guess that's subjective, LOL)

GlanaR wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 12:41 PM

Hello Katleen!

Congratulations for your work, I love you very much belong to the community KD, live in Guaruja, Sao Paulo, Brazil, also have a LYS here in my city, this season knit a little less due to the immense heat.

Thank you to all of you who do this wonderful work and happy Thanksgiving.

HarrietK@5 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 12:30 PM

Thank you for supporting the Local Yarn Shops!  This is so important as they will disappear without such support.  There are so many in the Philadelphia region, but if you would like to spend a day in a village within a town, visit Ewe and I in Narberth, PA.  The town is close to Philadelphia and yet worlds away, with tiny streets and local shops.  The Ewe and I is in a large airy space, after having moved not long ago from cramped quarters in Bryn Mawr. The staff is friendly and even host children's knitting classes - how's that for patience!

on Nov 25, 2009 12:27 PM

Kathleen, Please visit SEW EZ TOO on 603 W Garland in Spokane, located north from downtown on Garland. Phone# 325-6644. Their yarn shop is in the back of the store and I guarantee you will not be disappointed! They carry yarn from all over the world and the owner is always buying something new and interesting.

Have fun!

Andrea

Stacy wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 12:02 PM

I'm fairly new to knitting.  Does anyone know where there are any good LYS's in Ft. Wayne, IN. ?

on Nov 25, 2009 12:00 PM

Here are my favorite Seattle LYS's:

Churchmouse Yarns and Teas (on Bainbridge Island, so worth the ferry trip!!!)

Tricoter

Seattle Yarn Gallery

Fiber Gallery

Hilltop Yarns (and Hilltop East in Bellevue)

Acorn Street

Weaving Works

And there are more! Look up Seattle Yarn shops on the Internet to get a complete list.

Kathleen

maxandsheba wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 11:54 AM

My LYS here in Charlotte Yarn. We have an open knitting group that comes every Wednesday from 10-12:30. It's my best time of the week as it's me time. No stress, no housework, no problems. It's fun and you get to meet different people.

Marimoms8 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 11:28 AM

My granddaughter goes to the University of Michigan and I wanted to make her an afgan in the school colors.  I looked all over my local stores and the internet and finally it dawned on me to look for a store in Ann Arbor.  Sure enough, they had the exact colors and sent the yarn to me.

on Nov 25, 2009 11:21 AM

We don't have a LYS in our small California mountain commmunity but we do have a small spinning/knitting group which is able to meet mostly once a week.

We make occasional forays into nearby yarn shops and these are fun 'field trips'.  There is so much social interaction in a group of this kind.

BarbaraB wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 11:13 AM

Oh to live in America.   Sigh!  We have nothing like it here in South Australia and very few yarn shops.   I've never been in one that offered classes or that even had tables and chairs!  Even mail order isn't the same - postage makes it just too expensive.

When I visit family in LA and Chicago, I shall make sure next time that there's plenty of room in my suitcase!

PaulaP@10 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 10:59 AM

Hi

I live in Canada and we buy interweave magazines here too and we would like to be included for the rebate too.

Paula : muskokapei@yahoo.com  . Please reply

on Nov 25, 2009 10:45 AM

Hey Kathleen:  I'm from here in Portland and appreciate your plugs for LYSs.  We are blessed with 6 close in: Yarn Garden on Hawthorne is broadbased with a lot of everything; Knit Purl, downtown, puts the "L" in luxury and is where I go looking for Japanese stitch patterns with some confidence of finding them; Dublin Bay in the Pearl has everything British with a hint of Bartlett thrown in;, Close Knit up on Alberta has Sally and Nancy and when I walk in I feel inside my dream stash with a really comfy chair; Twisted is the store you mentioned from the Sock Summit with the sock yarn wall but you didn't mention their young, 20-30 somethings, staff and babies and enthusiasm; and then there is Gossamer Fiber Arts on East Burnside with its wall of Brown Sheep, plant dyed yarn, felt, and Rose.  I live in the geographical center of these shops all within great Portland walks of less than 2 miles and on transit.  I was teaching a kid's knit class recently and prepared this list of local resources to give out but hadn't realized just how lucky I am until I read your article this morning, thanks.

MargaretB@2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 10:38 AM

I'm in Canada...judging from the Fine Print, I can't use this offer.  Sigh...

on Nov 25, 2009 10:19 AM

I'm surprised someone from Washington State, has neglected Canadian knitters. Hopefully next time we will be included.

By the way, Happy American Thanksgiving.

Suzanne

DeannaH@2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 10:06 AM

I would like to know how to print the coupon. All that prints is page 1 and the rest are blank. Any ideas?

Deanna

cissy@6 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 10:04 AM

Kathleen,

The Hen House, Spring, TX,

is the place to shop and sit and knit with friends.

All the yarn you will ever need and classes and so much fun.  Love it.

If you haven't heard of it, check the blog DellaQ.com.

thanks,

Cissy

ChristineP@2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:53 AM

My wonderful LYS is Heindselman's in Provo, Utah.  It's been open since 1905!  Great selection of wools (it is Utah, after all) and sock yarns.  They also have tons of other needlework supplies and an awesome, helpful staff.  A terrific shop in historic downtown.  Love them!

JodyS@2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:49 AM

The LYS I frequent in Minneapolis, MN is Depth of Field.  Like Kathleen stated in her article about a commonality among LYSs, Depth of Field  has a very welcoming atmosphere!  I always know I will find what I am looking for, or a close proximity, and I can get help with any questions I have not matter how much I have botched a project!  Christine and her  staff have a great variety of yarn and tools every taste and budget.  Depth of Field is my knitting community and I keep returning (and spending money) because of the great community!

afinemess wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:46 AM

Wow, what a fantastic offer- thanks so much!! --- oh, wait. US only. Wow, sucks to be me, eh?

Janice H. wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:45 AM

I agree. LYSs are a great resource & a wonderful place to find kindred spirits. I'm in San Diego, CA where we are fortunate to have many wonderful LYS but my favorite is Bonita Knitting and Sewing. They are very accessible (meaning they are open evenings & weekends) & they offer lots of help & fellowship!  Janice H.

MaryP@87 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:40 AM

I will be accompanying my husband on a business trip to Seattle the end of Jan.  I plan to hit some of the Seattle shops.... I will definitely check out the one mentioned.  Also, if you can recommend any other Seattle shops.... I would love to visit them.

Thanks:)

NancyK@4 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:38 AM

We travel a lot (lucky me!) and I always scout out the LYS in advance. for the areas we visit. I have found some wonderful patterns and yarns that way. A yarn shop in Cleveland gave me a great wrap made with short rows and lovely variegated yarn. A LYS in my area that I ahd not visited before gave me access to a scarf pattern that will be a focal poin t of my Christmas gifts. And of course its always nice to walk into a shop where they greet you by name! NK

on Nov 25, 2009 9:38 AM

Check out The Loft in Hailey, Idaho for some great yarn and gifts!!!

rosemaryjb wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:34 AM

I live in BC and would appreciate having a list of all the great yarns stores in Washington State. Can you help m with that?

BarbH@7 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:30 AM

We have a great store nearby but when I visited my sister in California, I stopped at one in Redondo Beach.  I was amazed at the colors, so Californian, yellows & oranges.  I didn't buy any because I couldn't think what to make with them.  Then I read about a plan to make a square or two from special yarns picked up on your travels and sewing them all together to make an afghan.

I need to go back and get those colors!

Michelle@29 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:28 AM

@Kim@168,

Twisted (www.twistedpdx.com) is the Portland LYS with the wall of sock yarn! It's also a completely awesome LYS, with a wonderful staff. Enjoy!

Michelle

fracksmom wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:26 AM

Whittier no longer has a yarn shop so we have taken over the Little Old Book Shop in Uptown on Monday nights to share our projects and teach.

wendyhoo wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:26 AM

Disappointed that you would send out this otherwise wonderful email about LYS's with a $5 rebate only to learn that it does not extend to Canadian knitters.  Feeling a little left out at the moment...

SusanC@159 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:23 AM

How generous of you to give these rebates! I LOVE my LYS, Sheep's Clothing, in Valparaiso Indiana. I don't know what I would do without all the friendly and knowledgeable help they give. I probably wouldn't be knitting without them!

NatalieS@9 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:18 AM

Ditto on the "no rebate for Canadians" comment. Oh well, just bought my copy of the Accessories mag last week anyway!

Squishy wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:17 AM

Mary AlyceH, I was just thinking the same thing.... Not for Canadians... Why do we always get left out? :(

kswingle wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:13 AM

Kathleen,

Could you please tell me the name of the Portland LYS that has the wall of sock yarn?  I'm heading to Portland in December and have just recently learned to knit socks.  I'd love to get my sock stash started by visiting that particular LYS! :-)

Thanks so much!