Welcome to a New Issue of Interweave Crochet!

Dec 28, 2009

A note from Kathleen: The new issue of Interweave Crochet is about to hit your mailboxes and local yarn shops! Here to give you a preview is editor Marcy Smith. This issue of  the magazine features a really cool technique that knitters will be interested in: Tunisian crochet. It gives the look of knitting, but it's fast and very textural—just what you'd expect from a crochet stitch. Here's Marcy to talk more about this fascinating stitch and the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet.

Time for Tunisian

Does knitted entrelac make you sweat? Pick up stitches, knit back and forth, turn and turn again, keep the angles turned right round. It's some work. It's really a love-it-or-hate-it kind of sport.

Here's a way to get the same look without the sweaty edge of angst: Tunisian crochet. The fabulous Sunset Ruana on the cover of the Winter issue of Interweave Crochet is worked a series of squares and triangles, just like knitting. You pick up stitches along one edge and join to the previous block as you go, just like knitting. But you do all this with a crochet hook, instead of a knitting needle, which is much easier.

Tunisian crochet is a fusion of knitting and crochet, which will make the process feel very familiar to knitters. With Tunisian crochet, you pick up the stitches all along the edge and keep them on the hook, just like knitting. Then you work them off one by one, just like knitting.

At the end of the row, you have just one loop left. You then pick up stitches along the next row and work them off. The right side always faces you, so there's no turning. For the ruana, you don't need any special tools. The rows are short enough that you can use a regular crochet hook instead of a longer Tunisian hook. Do select a hook that has the same circumference all along it, without the flattened thumb rest.

The Winter issue of Interweave Crochet provides all the basics for learning Tunisian crochet. In addition to the ruana, you'll find three more great Tunisian patterns, including the Katharine Vest by Dora Ohrenstien and the Aubrey Coat by Tram Nguyen. The Flip-Floor Pillow by Brianna Mewborn is worked in one piece with cunning wedges of alternating simple stitch and Tunisian purl, which really does look like the knitted purl stitch. (For these projects, you will need a longer hook; if you have the Denise interchangeable needle set, you can purchase crochet hooks that fit onto the cords.)

The Aubrey Coat Spacer 10x10 pixels   The Flip-Floor Pillow  Spacer 10x10 pixels   The Katharine Vest
 Spacer 10x10 pixels

Tunisian crochet can produce some really fabulous fabrics, not possible with either knitting or traditional crochet. The basic stitch creates a fabric that looks much like woven fabric. Another stitch looks exactly like stockinette stitch-but with twice the warmth, making it perfect for outer wear. Give it a whirl. I think you'll like it.

Read more about the history of this intriguing technique in Beyond the Basics. And meet Angela Grabowski, who funnels her passion into creating new Tunisian stitches, including some cable work that looks just like knitted cables.

Create a Gift for a Homeless Child

In this issue, the Craftivism feature by Betsy Greer suggests four patterns to make and donate to an organization called Project Night Night, that will get the items into the hands of homeless children. Interweave Crochet assistant editor Toni Rexroat designed an amigurimi project called Frog Charming. So grab the new issue, your hook, and some yarn, and make one or two of these froggies to donate to a little prince or princess charming in need!

And that's not all! Click here to preview all of the exciting projects in the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet.

And happy new year! We wish you a happy and healthy 2010!

Best,

Marcy

Comments

nanook4stm wrote
on Feb 9, 2010 12:04 AM

I love the Sunset Ruana done in the Tunisian. But I'm a newbie and I need to know where to purchase the yarn to complete this project. I first saw this pattern in the Interweave Crochet Magazine and I had to purchase the magazine first and worry about the details later. It is Beautiful and so is your Magazine, thanks alot.

please send the information to Theo Reid at nanook4stm@hotmail.com.

Bright Blessings and Thanks.

SuzanneG@5 wrote
on Jan 30, 2010 11:58 AM

You guys are staunch knitters; I hear you.  When you read your posts from Knitting Daily or open up the latest posts here on site, you may want to search for "Knitting" or exclude the work crochet.

There is a magazine for crocheters, with paying subscribers.  Interweave Crochet is an excellent resource as Interweave Knitting has been for so many years.

The post you have vented about is titled "Welcome to a New Issue of Interweave Crochet".  Perhaps you could ck the title of the post you are upset about and avoid the dreaded, unsightly crochet you are so offended by.

Suzanne G in NC

Alaska Nana wrote
on Jan 3, 2010 6:46 PM

This is called KNITTING DAILY for a reason: we're knitters, an entirely different animal from a crocheter.  I always feel cheated when a knitting mag or blog takes up valuable knitting info space to try to make crocheters out of knitters (even though most of us know how to crochet.)  The trouble with crochet is that it looks ... well, crocheted!  As for Tunisian crochet, it's a real killer for arthritic wrists and fingers, which is why I knit.  And Entrelac, once you know how to "knit backwards" requires no turning whatsoever and soon becomes a snap.  You should devote some of your space to that one!

suzi1 wrote
on Jan 2, 2010 10:48 AM

help me please I'm looking for "the last supper" in fillet stich and can not find it any were please help me locate one thank you

MaggieP wrote
on Dec 28, 2009 8:39 PM

Hear, hear, Mary H!    Absolutely right!

I signed up for Knitting Daily because I enjoy KNITTING -- the craft of creating a fabric by the use of sharp pointy sticks.  If I had WANTED a constant flow of crochet information, I would have signed up for a crochet newsletter.

Yes, I know -- you're trying to find the next "new" thing and keep everybody moving along to do something else, something different, try something new -- many of us have tried crochet and find it lacking.  It's quite lovely -- but it's not for us.  At least, it's not for me.   You may think it's swell, but I don't like it.

This is precisely why I have not renewed my subsacription to the printed Interweave KNITS magazing.  It's just too much all the same, too much stuff that's cutesey and ditzey and not appropriate for a larger sized grown-up, and there are far too many items with crochet being shoved down my throat.

But then, I go bck into the box and pulll out my OLD IWKnits magazines -- and they were lovely.  Well-written, filled with innovatice designs and techniques and {{gasp}}  actually dedicated to KNITTING.   Those are treasures, and the designs in them are still fresh and vital.

Please -- go back to what you did so well and add the larger end of the size range back into the patterns.  That's what will get ME back as a subscriber, not this stuff.

Sincerely,

Maggie Pringlemeir

MaryH@8 wrote
on Dec 28, 2009 6:35 PM

Knitting Daily is too often these days used for advertising.  I realize that it is sponsored by Interweave Press and that some promotion of its products are necessary, but Knitting Daily has become dull, dull, dull.  There are rarely good tips or items of interest.  Please go back to the way it used to be when on Monday, Wednesday and Friday we could expect something interesting.

on Dec 28, 2009 12:16 PM

Hi from the UK :::   I've been fortunate enough to 'Give an insight into Tunisian crochet' a couple of times now.  The tuition was included in a regional craft day - mainly with machine knitting in mind, and some hand knitting.  Must also not lose sight of the fact that "ordinary" crochet was being worked too.  I wrote my own info leaflets. It was good practice for this amateur computer user.  I was able to buy an extremely large tunisian crochet hook which was ideal for teaching, so many women could see the stitch workings easily.  Have a Happy New Year all of you  Julia Smith Peterborough UK.

wanda@31 wrote
on Dec 28, 2009 6:29 AM

I am very frustrated.  I love the colors for the Painted Turtle Afghan pattern on page 86, however I can't locate the three colors.  I don't want the other combinations on page 8.

Why are models done in colors that are so difficult to replicate?

Can you please tell me where I can buy all 3 colors in the Cascade 220 Superwash yarn?

Thank you.