Fall in Love with the Five Peaks Shawl (and Tunisian Crochet!)

Mar 29, 2010

A note from Kathleen—True confessions: The only shawl I've ever knit was for a shop sample. I've always wanted to knit one of those beautiful lace shawls out there, but I really have no place to wear something like that, so I have stuck with scarves and neckwarmers. One of my friends knits the most beautiful lace shawls and when I asked her where she wore them, she said, "Oh, I don't know. Albertson's, I guess!" I cracked up. Anyway, When I received my Spring issue of Interweave Crochet, I was intrigued by the Five Peaks Shawl, which is a lovely meeting of casual and elegant, and it's the perfect Spring wrap for my climate.

Interweave Crochet editor Marcy Smith is here to delve into this shawl for us. Take it away, Marcy!

Spring into Crocheted Shawls

The Five Peaks Shawl by Vashti Braha

I know some of you were taken with the Tunisian crochet Sunset Ruana in the Winter 2009 issue of Interweave Crochet. Tunisian, a fusion of knit and crochet techniques, has been gaining favor among many fiber enthusiasts. In our Spring 2010 issue, we have a project you'll love: The Five Peaks Shawl by Vashti Braha.

This simple and elegant wrap will be your go-to spring cover-up for both casual and formal occasions. Worked in sumptuous amethyst Road to China Light—a blend of alpaca, silk, cashmere and camel—this wrap is super-soft and drapey. The magic of the drape comes in part from working this DK-weight yarn on a large (size L) hook.

The shawl is worked in one piece using methods borrowed from the basic eyelet-edged garter stitch washcloth. As with all Tunisian projects, you pick up stitches all the way across a row using a longer-than-normal crochet hook, then work them off two at a time. You increase at the beginning of the row, yarn-over, then work to the end, yarn-over and decrease.

Now, you could simply work a triangle this way and it would be a shawl. But the genius of Vashti's design is that she created five peaks in the shawl so that it doesn't slip. You can let the front sections dangle, or you can wrap one or both front pieces across. You might wear it with the longer peak across one arm, instead of in the back, for dramatic flair.

We've rated this pattern a level 1 for easy-peasy. You can work this and watch the latest episode of Ice Road Truckers (or Knitting Daily TV!) at the same time.

You'll need a special Tunisian hook with a long cord for this project, because you'll need to fit 125 loops on it at one point (I know —only 125 loops! Not like the hundreds and hundreds of stitches you might need for a knitted shawl. Just saying.)

For more dedicated stitchers, we have the Forest Petals Shawl by Karla McCalmont. We've rated this a level 3 (of 4), but don't let that put you off.

The Forest Petals Shawl
by Karla McCalmont

The pattern stitch is well within range for a beginning Tunisian crocheter, but working with the laceweight yarn requires a higher level of concentration. (You could maybe watch a rerun of Seinfeld while working this, but a Buffy marathon might be too distracting.)

You can work this project with a regular crochet hook, so long as it has a straight shaft without the thumb indentation (we love the Lantern Moon hooks—read all about them in Yarn Spotlight).

And to help you get going with the whole Tunisian crochet thing, we've uploaded a batch of Tunisian technique videos at CrochetMe.com. Check them out and get started!

Of course, we have a lovely batch of non-Tunisian crochet patterns as well in the Spring issue of Interweave Crochet. Take a peek and let us know what intrigues you!

And while you're at it, why not subscribe to Interweave Crochet? You won't want to miss out on any of our wonderful designs!

Best,

Comments

on Mar 12, 2011 11:50 PM

For all of the knitters who are complaining about crocheting advertising and patterns on here should really try not being so closed minded.

Both crafts create beautiful peices.  If you are so against another version of yarn crafting maybe you should unsubscribe.  Go back to your closed doors and lock yourself into your safe place.

jessie83 wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 8:27 AM

I NEED HELP I WANT TO WATCH YOU ON TV BUT IN MY AREA I CAN'T FIND IT ON MY TV CAN U HELP ME WITH THIS I LIVE IN OHIO CINCINNATI AND WHAT TIME IT COMES ON. PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP I DON'T WANT TO MISS A SHOW THANKS GOD BLESS YOU AND ALSO ABOUT KNITTING FOR CHRITY HOW DOES THAT WORK I HAVE NO ONE IN MY LIFE TO GIVE WHAT I MAKE TO ANYONE SO HOW CAN I FIND OUT ABOUT THAT

robertarenee wrote
on Apr 12, 2010 12:04 PM

Where is the pattern for the Five Peaks Shawl?

cicatrice wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 9:29 AM

So the purpose of this was to sell us a magazine for a different craft? That seems unfair.

tiffwarble wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 8:33 AM

The 5 points shawl can be found in the spring Issue of Interweave Crochet, here is the link for the store: http://bit.ly/czokEu

As a crochet and knitting lover, I must say, this issue of Crochet is one of the best I have seen. I have two projects lined up to make already! I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

knitter23 wrote
on Mar 30, 2010 6:30 PM

Although the designs are lovely, we subscribe to Knitting Daily because we want to read about knitting.  Perhaps Interweave can start Crochet Daily.

lovaun wrote
on Mar 30, 2010 1:37 PM

I too am disapointed by the many advertisments. At one time I took one of those magazines only to find the patterens were complicated and not of real everyday use.

Cathie@2 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 11:47 PM

Hi. The Five Peaks Shawl is very intriging but where do I get the pattern.

Cathie

Australia

Robin Potter wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 2:07 PM

Where is the pattern for the Five Peaks Shawl?

LuanneR@2 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 10:30 AM

Kathleen:  I urge you to make a shawl without delay!  Even if you do not consider yourself a "shawl person," you may find many interesting ways to wear a shawl.  They are not just for evening wear any more, nor confined to BoH or hippie fashion statements.  You can wear one over a jacket or blazer for a little elegance or fun, and under a coat or jacket for extra warmth.  They are great to tuck into your tote if you take public trans or spend time in really cold air conditioned buildings - sometimes just a little something on the shoulders and upper arms can be so comforting.  I work in a law office and it's interesting how many ways attorneys and assistants, who are otherwise fairly conservatively dressed, can find to wear shawls and scarves to combat the A/C.  Besides which, they are fun to knit!

TerryD@9 wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 10:05 AM

Wow! what a gorgeous shawl.  And the lime green one looks perfect for attending those spring and summer weddings.

Jerri....I guess you could "unsubsribe" to Knitting Daily, if this doesn't suit you, but look at all the great opportunities you'd miss to expand your horizons!

NatalieA wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 9:19 AM

These are both lovely shawls, especially the 'Five Peaks'. Is there a knitted version out there somewhere?

jerriscott wrote
on Mar 29, 2010 8:54 AM

I'm really disappointed when "Knitting Daily" blogs an advertisment for a crochet magazing. It is disappointing that this blog as devolved into "Advertising Daily" but at least it was about knitting and I might see something interesting that I would want to buy. If I wanted advertisments for crocheting magazines I'd subscribe to "Crocheting Daily." Might it be time to unsubscribe?