The Wakefield Scarf (a free pattern!)

Jul 7, 2010

Wakefield Diagonal Lace Scarf
by Melissa LaBarre
Here at Knitting Daily we're celebrating the release of our new book New England Knits by Cecily Glowik MacDonald and Melissa LaBarre. We love it so much that we're offering you a free pattern to whet your appetite for the wonderful designs in this amazing book!

(And this pattern isn't in the book; it's a special pattern by one of the New England Knits authors just for Knitting Daily subscribers. Yay!)

The Wakefield Diagonal Lace Scarf by Melissa LaBarre is formed with lace pattern that creates a natural bias in the fabric, resulting in a parallelogram shape. The simple stitch pattern is easily memorized and almost hypnotic.

Wrap it around your neck a few times to keep warm, or wrap it once loosely for a perfect accessory for transitional weather. So here you go!

Wakefield Diagonal Lace Scarf
(for a PDF version of this pattern, click here)
by Melissa LaBarre

Finished Size
60" (152.5 cm) long and 101/2" (26.5 cm) wide.

Yarn

Wakefield scarf close-up

DK (Light #3).
Shown here: Mirasol Tupa (50% merino, 50% silk; 137 yd [125 m]/50 g): Viridian #804, 3 skeins.

Needles
U.S. size 7 (4.5 mm). Adjust needle size if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.

Notions
Tapestry needle.

Gauge
14 sts and 25 rows = 4" (10 cm) in patt.

Scarf
Loosely CO 50 sts. Work Diagonal Lace chart or row-by-row instructions as foll:

Row 1: (RS) *K1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k1; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

Row 2 and all WS rows: Purl.

Row 3: *K2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k2; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

Row 5: K1, k2tog, yo, *k2, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo; rep from * to last 5 sts, k2, k2tog, yo, k1.

Row 7: *K2tog, yo, k2, k2tog, yo; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

Diagonal Lace Chart Key

Row 9: K3, *k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k2; rep from * to last 5 sts, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k1.

Row 11: *K2, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

Row 12: Purl.

Rep Rows 1-12 until piece measures 60" (152.5 cm) from CO, or desired length, ending with a WS row. With RS facing, BO all sts pwise. Weave in loose ends. Block to measurements.

Making This Scarf into a Wide Wrap
You can make a wider scarf by casting on additional stitches in multiples of 6. Just remember, the final count must be a multiple of 6 stitches plus 8 additional stitches to balance out the pattern.

To make this a wrap that's nearly double the width, you can work the pattern over 92 stitches. You'll need to double the yarn amounts to make the wrap the same length as the scarf.

Enjoy this pattern, and don't forget to check out New England Knits.

Cheers,

P.S. And if you're in the New England area, click here to see the author tour dates and locations!

Featured Product

New England Knits Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $24.95
Sale: $17.38

Hardcover

Capture the spirit of New England with an irresistible collection of classic knitwear with subtle embellishments and details by young Northeast designers

Comments

knittywitch5 wrote
on Jul 11, 2010 8:17 PM

I too, am unsubscribing.  I have watched several episodes on TV and Knit and crochet daily was a much better show.  Knitting dailing has suprisingly little content and on the site I am always having to work around the ads.  Too much fluff and not enough stuff.

vholbrook11 wrote
on Jul 10, 2010 12:43 PM

I would love this in pdf also!

on Jul 8, 2010 6:50 PM

Here's the link to a PDF version of the Wakefield Scarf pattern:

www.knittingdaily.com/.../47046.aspx

Enjoy!

CynthiaW@9 wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 10:33 AM

Am just getting around to printing this pattern.  It is great except that the chart repeat does not match the written word.  I believe the red boxed pattern repeat should be shifted three squares to the left.

peahen wrote
on Jul 8, 2010 2:55 AM

This is a beautiful scarf - thank you! I find that this page prints beautifully to pdf.

(I'm on a mac which makes this a breeze, but for pc users there are a million free pdf drivers available for download which should do the same thing)

on Jul 7, 2010 5:22 PM

This is pretty. Love the New England Knits book. I am a New Englander and I'm going to purchase it asap! One advantage of the weather here is pretty sweaters and time indoors to knit them.

JoyceB wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 2:57 PM

Me too, me too. I'd love to have this in PDF. Printer is on the blink & I'd love to have the option of saving a PDF file for later.

Thanks,

JuJu1307 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 2:51 PM

Hi, is it just me or does the chart repeat section not match the written repeat section? I am not used to reading charts, but it seems to me that the written instructions include the entire chart, not just the outlined-in-red part. Anyone?

patw813 wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 2:40 PM

nice scarf...

just wanted to comment - I am unsubscribing from Knitting Daily. The slight amount of content is not worth the constant barrage of advertisements.

Maxfun wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 2:17 PM

You can generate your own PDF file. Just Google PrimoPDF and download the free print driver. It puts PrimoPDF as a printer you select when you print anything and then it creates a PDF file for you. Works like a charm. :)

MariAngel wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 9:49 AM

Beautiful Scarf!

It looks like it would make a gorgeous wrap as suggested.

I may have to make this one just for me!

Angel

lillianvoigt wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 9:31 AM

Love to have this in pdf!  ;)

lillianvoigt wrote
on Jul 7, 2010 9:29 AM

I would love to have this pattrens in pdf so I can keep it forever, besides that it is more precise to print.

Would you be so kind as to send me this pattren in pdf form or post it as such?

I have always loved this scarf and the color.

sierravoigtlej@gmail.com