Sockupied: Our Revolutionary New eMag Is Here!

Aug 30, 2010

I love new technology, especially when it enhances my knitting!

So I'm really excited about our new eMag,
Sockupied. I mean REALLY EXCITED. It's so cool—I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks now. It's a multimedia magazine that uses live links and video to illustrate all kinds of sock info. There are pattern downloads, video interviews, animated how-to illustrations! Here's a quick, 2-minute video to show you how Sockupied works.

Isn't that fantastic? I know.

Sockupied editor Anne Merrow has been working on this eMag for months, sourcing material from all over the place—literally from coast to coast—to put the eMag together, and she's done a fantastic job!

When I first met Anne she had a sock on the needles. (We were at the Sock Summit, so I had one in my bag too!) Anne introduced me around to the knitterati at the Summit—she knows everyone—and now I'd like to introduce her
to you! Anne is extremely excited about introducing the first edition of SocKupied. You'll get the inside scoop directly below.

Chee
rs,

Get Sockupied!

There's something special about knitting socks: the perfect fit, the great yarns, the infinite construction methods. Socks are a great way to practice and enjoy almost every conceivable knitting skill. So isn't it time for a publication as exciting and versatile as socks themselves?

When I first started knitting socks, I didn't know anyone else who would do such a thing. With Christmas approaching, my Dad asked for a pair of thick handknitted socks. I'd never knitted in the round, never worked on double-pointed needles, never heard of Kitchener stitch or a gusset. But like every sock knitter, I worked one stitch at a time, and I proudly gave my Dad the socks for Christmas.

He promptly—and unrepentantly—felted them.

Twisted Diamonds—Ann Budd's new design

The Sock Roundup—this time focusing on cashmere!

Crystalline Socks: great for solids or handpaints!

Cookie A discusses her process for designing the new Passerine Socks.

I have since discovered superwash yarn and knitted other pairs that he does wear, but even better, I started making socks for myself. It was the yarn that got me-I loved the colors and making a project out of a single gorgeous skein. And then I came to Interweave and found lots of other sock knitters.

So creating Sockupied was a natural extension of work and fun. Interweave had an idea for a new project about sock knitting, a multimedia publication called an eMag that would have video and links as well as photos and patterns. The editorial director of Interweave Knits asked me who could edit it, and who could blame me for nominating myself? What we came up with is the first eMag devoted to knitting socks.

Sockupied is easy to download, fun to navigate, and combines everything you love about magazines with the benefits of digital technology. Once it's installed onto your computer, you have new exclusive sock patterns by top designers, in-depth video demonstrations, plus lots of inspiration and techniques whenever you like.

Because Sockupied is all-digital, we could make it completely interactive, with videos and slide shows and pop-ups-it's designed to be fun and instructive, putting information right at your fingertips. Sock knitters love finding patterns, watching video tutorials, and (of course) shopping online, so an eMag that combines all those things with photos, links, pop-ups, and a substantial dose of play was a natural fit.

* Legendary sock knitter, writer, and editor Ann Budd designed a pair of socks that shows off the Channel Island cast-on in a beautiful picot-like cuff.

* If you're not fluent in the Channel Island cast-on—or the Old Norwegian, alternating, or double-start cast-ons—then watch Eunny Jang's video demonstration of each one as many times as you need. You can pause each video, read the step-by-step directions in the article, and consult the animated illustrations at the same time until you can do each one in your sleep.

* You may find a new favorite yarn in our sock yarn roundup, which gives you an up-close look at six different on sock yarns with cashmere. Yarn can look completely different knitted up than it does in the skein, so when you mouse over a swatch on the Great Yarns page, the skein pops up for comparison. And if you see one you like, you can click on the name to go to the company's website. Like a lot of knitters, I subscribe to the "sock yarn isn't stash" philosophy-though when you have enough lurking under your bed to knit a different pair for every day from October through March, as I do, it might be time to slow down. But I can make room for a couple skeins of cashmere sock yarn, my new must-have affordable luxury.

* Debbie O'Neill took our challenge and designed a "One Sock Two Ways"pattern for socks that are as great for handpainted yarns as for solids. Crystalline Socks are exquisite, making handpainted yarns as breathtaking knitted up as in the skein.

* Sock star Cookie A. came to our video studio to tell us about how she started knitting socks. Hear about what she's working on now, follow her process for creating the exclusive Passerine Socks design, and watch her demonstrate three techniques for executing the socks perfectly. The article includes what we imagined her design wall might look like, with photos of her previous designs and works in progress, covers of her two books (which you can click to purchase), and a link to a free pattern.

* The last page of a magazine is the one I read first, so having a great last page was really important. Author, blogger, and illustrator Franklin Habit rose to the challenge, as always, with a true fairy-tale ending.

But no matter how much fun this was for my colleagues and me to put this together, Sockupied is really about you. There's a forum set up on Knitting Daily to talk about the issue—to share what you like (I hope), what you'd like to see in future issues, or just your experiences as a sock knitter. I can't wait to see lots of new socks up in the Knitting Daily reader galleries!

Now go get Sockupied!

Comments

SylviaT@4 wrote
on Feb 11, 2013 8:52 AM

Love this emag! Why all the negativity over the price? I know as knitters, you would plunk-down $14.95 for a skein of yarn and not bat an eye. In fact you would buy six if you needed that many for a project. Anyone with a passion for a craft seems to have a blind eye and loose purse strings when it comes to paying for a new addition to their stash (or is that only me). I don't see much passion here.

Robbierobeen wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 8:27 PM

Definitely looks like a great magazine.  Went to barnes &Noble to pick one up.  Didn't remember that it was electronic.  I have been scared away by all the negativity. I have an iPad.  Price is more than I am willing to pay for one issue:(

bikrgran wrote
on Apr 15, 2012 5:55 PM

I just bought 2 of the Sockupied emags, only to find that they won't work on my desktop Win 7 computer, for some reason.  I've just gone out and bought a tablet (Android), so will someone PLEASE tell me it will work on THAT!  I've been spinning my wheels all weekend, waiting for the office to open so I can get some help.

JudyB@59 wrote
on Feb 7, 2012 10:03 PM

I Purchased all 4 of the sockupied  emagazines but only got 2 of them downloaded.  I don't know how to get back to the page where I can download the rest.  What shall I do?  THank for your help..

mother_dear52@hotmail.xom

NoraM@9 wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 2:09 PM

can Sockupied!d be downloaded on a NOOK tablet?

syd75 wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 11:02 AM

Is there going to be a sockupied for the crocheters also?

janetlind wrote
on Oct 12, 2010 6:00 PM

I agree that it looks stunning, but once I heard "Flash" I figured "forget it." Hopefully Interweave can come up with tech staff as good as their knitting staff at some point.  $14.95 for a Flash blob? no thanks . . .

Loretta@36 wrote
on Sep 24, 2010 9:35 AM

I agree w/everyone about what a fantastic format Socupied is. But, I, too, thought I was subscribing to an "e-magazine", NOT to just one issue - I thought the price of 14.97 for something that did not require printing and mailing was reasonable. But, for just one issue it is out of my price range and I will not be 'buying' anymore issues of a one issue magazine.  I am retired and living on SS; so every penny counts. Sorry I will have to miss your e-zine's future issues, and just purchase the occassional magazine from the news-stand that has a pattern or technique I'm interested in learning.  Thank you - Loretta Acosta

BarbaraB wrote
on Sep 15, 2010 3:05 PM

I  agree with all the comments about the expense and incompatibility with iPad.  I could have lived with the iPad issue but now that I realise the e-mag is a one-off, and having paid for it thinking that it was a subscription, I now feel  a bit stupid that I didn't check this before I bought!

I know all about "Buyer Beware" and realise it's my fault, but I still feel a little cheated.  It just means that I probably won't be buying anything else for a while till the nasty taste leaves my mouth!

jenn knits wrote
on Sep 13, 2010 11:49 PM

i agree -- cost is a bit steep for me as well.

when comparing to other knitting mags in the $10 range, i think most folks would expect that an online mag would be considerably less in cost.

the idea itself is really really interesting and i love the media options (especially key for visual learners such as myself)!

phlame wrote
on Sep 4, 2010 11:36 AM

Sounds like a great idea and looks really interesting, but it is way too expensive for 1 issue, especially for a new mag.  Better offer an introductory offer of 3 months or 6 months for that price.

lufthild wrote
on Sep 2, 2010 3:12 AM

So, if I get it onto this desktop, but want to use it on my laptop (yet to be replaced) while travelling in a country where Internet access is iffy, at best, will it work? Can it be downloaded onto a flash drive or an external hard drive? Will it work - except for the links to the Internet, such as for sellers?

Jessica-Jean

Kathrows wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 8:23 PM

KnitCircus is a paper magazine that has gone electronic.  You can read the articles and get 1 knitting pattern, 1 recipe and 1 sewing pattern all for free.  You can see all the knitting projects.  If you want to make any of the patterns you pay for a download that includes every pattern in the issue.  It costs about 8 or 9 dollars.  Twist Collective is another e-mag with free articles and even links to how-to videos occasionally.  It has a free pattern in each issue as well.  If you want to knit any of the other patterns you buy just the ones you want.  They cost about 7 dollars each the last time I checked.  I like the way Sockupied works also.  Interweave should charge any amount they like, but I think it should cost less.  Other, smaller operations are managing to publish successfully in the same arena and charge less.

iamkashi wrote
on Sep 1, 2010 7:36 AM

love the new emag!

ssommers wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 4:46 PM

I too was looking for an iPad version as an app, but I'd actually rather have PDFs so I can read it anywhere and on anything. I'll save my money and wait for more of the older spinoff & knits magazines to be electronically republished.

grngrl wrote
on Aug 31, 2010 7:21 AM

This is a fabulous idea and I don't even mind that it would only play on my laptop...but...it's way, way, way too expensive.  Knitscene or Knit Gifts may cost this much at the counter but they have a lot more actual patterns.  I can buy whole books of sock patterns for this price and look at videos on the web for free.  Are there really only 3 patterns in the whole mag?  Come on folks, that's just a bit too few.

SerenaJ wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 7:58 PM

$14.95 for an emag, does anyone else think this is expensive?  This is the price of a paper version.  Verena or Selveage charge half price or less for the electronic versions of their paper mags.  I realise that Sockupied has video content - however, Interweave charge full price for ALL it's electronic mags.  Aren't we supposed to be encouraging a paperless society?

MRow wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 6:55 PM

Would e-mag be good learning tool for a beginner?

BarbaraG@23 wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 5:25 PM

My first thoughts were - not compatible with iPad and it's too expensive! It's not clear how many patterns are included. Videos are nifty but there is so much available for free...

BarbaraM@2 wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 5:25 PM

I bought the Sockupied Emag this afternoon and it took for ever to download and then just as long to set up on my computer.  It loads very slowly and I have a relatively new computer.  I sure hope that the purchase is for a magazine subscription and not a one time  purchase of a book containing videos. This part is not made clear.  I am not trying to go though the pages but it is taking time to figure out how it all works. I'm glad you had on line instructions.

ZassZ wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 3:53 PM

I say the tutorial is very inviting!  Grazie.

AmieR wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 2:39 PM

I got it. It is awesome.  I have not read all of it yet but I love the lay out, I love how interactive it is.  The ability for a designer to SHOW how to do a particular stitch in a pattern is brilliant.  And to actually hear an interview with Cookie A., my favorite designer, was delightful.  Yes, it is expensive and absolutely you guys should work on the ipad/android versions because a magazine like this needs to be portable.  But kudos to you for your innovation.  This is the future.

Kathrows wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 2:18 PM

It sounds great. Too expensive.  Sorry.

on Aug 30, 2010 1:07 PM

Sockupied is Flash-based, so it's not compatible with the iPad or iTouch. Hopefully Apple will embrace Flash sometime soon!

And Sockupied isn't a subscription—it's more like one of our special magazines, such as Knitscene or Interweave Knits Gifts—so the price is for this issue of Sockupied only.

Hope this helps!

Kathleen

sondomn wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 12:16 PM

I also read the FAQ's, and agree that the most important one was not addressed.  How many issues of this eMag are we getting for $14.95?  Is this a single issue?  Does the price offer more future issues?

LisaS@7 wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 12:06 PM

I too would like to have the magazine on my iPad.  I already use PDFs on the iPad for my knitting patterns (sticky notes to mark my place!) and would love to have the emag on it also. I've got way too many books & magazines taking up my shelves as I knit, sew & quilt. I'm trying to go as paperless as possible for future purchases.

Is it possible that the Mac version would work on the iPad?

mitchellle wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 12:00 PM

I read the FAQ's, but the most important one was not addressed.  How many issues of this eMag are we getting for $14.95?  Is this a single issue?  Does the price offer more future issues?

vimcat wrote
on Aug 30, 2010 9:55 AM

Are there plans to add an iPad (iOS 4) or Android version for those of us who watch videos and read how-tos on our way to work?