It's Football Season! (Not to mention knitting season...)

Sep 8, 2010

I love a good chuckle, especially when it really hits home, like this cartoon from Franklin Habit's Stash of Knitting Cartoons 2011 Calendar.

I'm a football coach's daughter and a football player's sister—my dad coached high school and college football for years and my brother started playing in a Pop Warner league and ended playing pro ball in Sweden.

I've probably been to about a thousand football games in my life, and I've enjoyed almost all of them. (Um ... I think I might be the person they're talking about in the cartoon!)

The other day I drove by one of the high schools here in Spokane and saw the kids practicing. I got a little giddy! Plus, there's that chill in the air, which when paired with sunny days screams "Football Weather!!" I already have tickets to the Oregon game at my alma mater, Washington State University—Go Cougs—maybe this'll be our year!

But the best thing about football season is that it coincides with knitting season, which puts me in absolute heaven!

The Cubley kids (l to r: me, my sister Liz, and my brother Jeff) with one of my dad's WSU players in 1973. I think my mom made that dress!
Call me crazy, but there are so many similarities between football and knitting, not the least of which is the groups of people that gather to watch a game and knit. I know that there are many, many knitters besides me who like to knit while watching football—there are several of us who finished a knit-along project because of last year's NFL playoffs—so much knitting to do + so many football games to watch = lots of finished objects!

Ravelry has the Ravelympics,and I think Knitting Daily should have Knit-Ball Season! Let's knit and watch our games and see how many projects we can get finished this fall.

I'm going to announce the new knit-along poll on 9/13, and we can make the chosen design our Knit-Ball project! Who's with me?

In the meantime, keep track of your football games and your knitting with the hilarious Franklin Habit's Stash of Knitting Cartoons 2011 Calendar.

Cheers,

Featured Product

Franklin Habit's 2011 Calendar: Stash of Knitting Cartoons

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $9.99

Merchandise

Featuring thirteen favorite images from Franklin Habit's It Itches, this calendar is perfect for yarn-lovers to keep track of noteworthy dates and deadlines.

Comments

mjrsax16 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 7:42 PM

Does anyone have a WSU scarf pattern?

pmmknitco wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 6:36 AM

OOPS forgot.....................GO ROCKIES!!!!!!

pmmknitco wrote
on Sep 18, 2010 6:24 AM

Hey now...why no knitting during baseball season!!!

The World Series is coming up.

boblaw007 wrote
on Sep 14, 2010 12:51 AM

Football season is really an exciting time and many of the football lovers in our <strong><a href="timesharerelief360.com/blog">timeshare exit solutions</a></strong> office are waiting for this time. Thanks for posting.

BarbaraF@3 wrote
on Sep 12, 2010 8:48 PM

I love the season too.  I'm a big fan of Pac 10 football.  (A somewhat rabid Stanford fan,  I also like WSU: the colors are right and we once met and had a nice talk with Drew Bledsoe' grandmother as we waited for the players to come out after the game.)

Plus in the SF Bay Area, it's the start of opera season, another one of  my favorite things!

So this is my favorite time of year.

Karen720 wrote
on Sep 11, 2010 9:23 AM

Kathleen,

So happy to see all the other knitters that love to watch football and knit.  I'm with you for the Knit-ball season.  Just ordered my calendar.

Lannie Mac wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 2:44 PM

The player in the picture is Wilbur McKinney. (Just to be sure everyone gets the credit they deserve.) He was a smart and nice kid.  Signed, Kathleen's mom. The proud recipient of a new lilac cotton sweater to wear on the first day of school! Thanks, Kath.

JodeeR wrote
on Sep 10, 2010 11:49 AM

Wait . . . are you Jim Walden's daughter??  Was he WSU's coach in 1973  . . . I'm not sure . . .  Anyway, I'm a Coug too, and I think our only hope is to beat Montana State this weekend.  It's okay, us Cougs don't base our worth on a good football team.  It's all about the fun we have in watching the games from the stands ;)

Casey@13 wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 10:10 AM

Have to add one more thing  -  I'm so glad you all are actual football FANS, as opposed to "wives who suffer through their husbands' game watching!"  In our house, I'm more of a fan than he is, and I will say that even tho' I loved going to the games in person, it's hard to knit in the stadium and watch out for the beer!  (Green Bay, you know!)

LauraW wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 8:55 AM

I was so excited to see this post! I love football season for many of the same reasons you do. I follow the Carolina Panthers. (Surely this season will be better than last year......) This summer I went through my UFO's and found 3 sweaters in various stages of unfinished. I said at the time, "Perfect for football season!" So I'm so in on a KAL/FAL. Sometimes I feel like an outcast--especially when the yarn shops have Superbowl Sales. My response to that is: WHAT? You're not home watching the GAME? Ha!

psu8688 wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 8:52 AM

Glad to hear there are other football fans out there who will be knitting during the games!  My husband and I both went to Penn State and I have liked the Steelers since I was in grade school (even though I live in Eastern PA!), so love of football runs deep.  I plan on working on 2 jackets and some small projects for holiday gifts during the season.  I agree- I love this time of year!  Great cartoon too!

Go Lions!    Go Steelers!

Patti

olhenry wrote
on Sep 9, 2010 8:33 AM

I read the title of this post and I was so excited.  I've got my fantasy team lined up, my new patterns and my worn corner of the couch.  How could it possibly get any better?

Go Packers!

-Olivia

ArtfulSoul wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 7:29 PM

Somehow, I cannot find what patterns are being considered for the Knit-Ball KAL?  Is it too late to see the choices and vote?

Margot Peck wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 12:21 PM

What a treat to meet other football/knitting enthusiasts. I too thought I was the only one. For me, this is the perfect time to finish all those projects I start earlier in the year as well as Christmas gifts. Fall is my favorite season because of these two passions as well as the perfect weather for reading. It's so nice to "meet" my fellow football knitters.

BethR@2 wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 10:30 AM

Kathleen - - - - You can't imagine my delight to discover so many other knitters who avidly enjoy football and knitting at the same time!!!  (Thank heaven for the invention of re-play!!)  And you're a WSU Cougar to boot!

My dad was an total football nut, and he passed on that enthusiasm to both my sister and I.  My British grandmother taught me to knit - - - and since it's in my DNA, I can't pass either one up.  (Although - I must admit, I have the needles in my hand all year round.  If there was a season for knitting, I'd go through withdrawal symptoms at the end of knitting season, worse than the ones I suffer after the Super Bowl.)

I'm in my 60s, and for the last 40-plus years, my passions have combined every fall - usually with a significant growth in my stash at the same time.  For years, I thought I was the only one in the world with these combined "afflictions."

As a young woman, I could never just let myself sit in front of the TV doing nothing - except watch the game.  My knitting gave me the "excuse" I needed every Sunday after church to pick up the needles, and sit there for hours and enjoy the double-header going on in front of me.  (I felt I was "accomplishing something" - and I never missed a game!)  This habit became ingrained - - - and I've never given it up.  Add Monday and Thursday night games - and I can't believe all the projects I managed to finish.

Through all these years, I've gone from knitting baby blankets and layettes for my expecting friends - to knitting fisherman knit sweaters and hats for my grandson - as well as Christening blankets and layettes for the grandchildren of all those friends.  And as I think of all the afghans for every member of my family that became Christmas presents througg all these years:  starting out with ones for each of my grandmothers (which have now come back to me, through the ones I'm working on now for my daughter-in-law's parents, siblings and their children.  Thank you for this posting.

So many knitters of my gender dislike football intensely, but there are some of us who love it - and miss out on the wonderful Monday night knitting groups meeting at yarn shops, because we haven't been able to separate ourselves from the game - - - as well as all that lovely yarn just waiting to be held and worked up.

And now, since I've found so many others, just like me, I won't feel so alone in out here in the football/knitting universe anymore.  God bless you all - -- and to paraphrase the great Elizabeth Zimmerman:  "Knit On, with confidence and hope, through all crises - - - including that last interception and runback for a score!  And in case of another touchdown - - - don't fling the yarn and needles across the room, as you jump up and shriek with enthusiasm.  Don't ask me how I know, but sometimes it can take an entire quarter to untangle the mess and put it back together.  Go Hawks!!

TraceyB wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 9:54 AM

It is amazing how much knitting gets done during a football game.  Love this time of year.

crmills wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 9:10 AM

Kathleen, you hit the nail on the head.  I went to my yarn stash as I was watching the Georgia Bulldogs trounce Louisiana State-Lafayette 55 to 7 in their opening game.  Granted it's a little hard to get into the football/knitting spirit when the temperature in the stadium is 90 degrees.  But this is when I start knitting the 14 pairs of socks/fingerless gloves I need for my family's Christmas stocking gifts!

By the way, I love the site!

Go Dawgs!

Chris in Georgia

Casey@13 wrote
on Sep 8, 2010 8:10 AM

Kathleen, I was so glad to hear that I'm not the only knitter who plans her fall/winter knitting around a football team's schedule!  We're huge Packer fans, and I've been able to chart the progress of their season by the length of the afghan on my lap.  It usually reached my toes somewhere around  the division play-offs!  This year, I'm planning an Aran cardigan for my "football project."  Go Pack!!

Keep up the posts!