Preview Interweave Knits Winter 2010!

Nov 5, 2010

Charvet Pullover
Charvet Pullover by Maria Leigh

Oslo Walk Shawl
Oslo Walk Shawl by Susanna IC

Pinked Socks
Pinked Socks by Judy Alexander

Winter Wren Cardigan
Winter Wren Cardigan by Shirley Paden

A note from Kathleen: Just like fall is football and back-to-school season, winter is knitting season. My winter days in Spokane are full of snow and blue skies, which I love, and my nights are warmed with a fire in the fireplace and a roast in the crock pot (which I might love even more).

My winter mainstay is always my knitting. Like most knitters, I knit more in the fall and winter than in the rest of the year put together. That's why I absolutely love the winter issue of
Interweave Knits.

As always, the
Knits staff has filled the pages with beautiful sweaters and accessories, inspiration and education. In fact, the Beyond the Basics feature in this issue is all about putting zippers in knits, which is something that I've recently been struggling with.

Interweave Knits, for always having your finger on the pulse of my current knitting challenges!

Here's editor Eunny Jang to preview the winter issue for you.

Interweave Knits Winter 2010: Warm Your World

I dreamt about yarn a couple weeks ago. Knitting dreams are sort of frighteningly common for me—they usually happen around deadlines and involve ripping out mohair stitch by stitch like a knitting Sisyphus—but this one was interesting for its simplicity: I took one yarn after another down from pegs on a wall, adding them to a basket I had on my arm. They were simple wool yarns in natural fleece shades, a little heathered, with an old-fashioned, slightly toothed finish.

That was it. Peculiar, right?

But I've been thinking about that dream a lot lately; there's a dense little knot of appeal to it that I've been trying to unravel. And I think I've finally hit on it: It's the sheer simplicity and naturalness of it, the distillation of this whole knitting thing down to its elemental building blocks. Fancy stitches, clever constructions, finicky finishing details—before all those layers of knitting nuance (which I also love) come into play, there's yarn, with all its promise of possibility.

Fitting, then, that this Winter issue of Interweave Knits is all about yarn.

Every one of the projects in this issue is a showcase for the particular yarn and fiber it is worked in: Plump cables worked in lofty wool for deep, yielding texture; slinky garter-stitch stripes in silk for heavy drape; simple knit and purl textures worked in alpaca and wool for subtle, blurry definition—these projects are all about uncovering the intrinsic character of a yarn and then showing it off. The knitter's art, artfully considered.

From fun experiments with color and texture ("Of a Different Stripe") to cables combined with bold silhouettes ("The County") to explorations of how two or more yarns can work together ("Come Together") to clever socks and stockings ("We Love Socks") to true outerwear ("The Great Outdoors"), this issue is a roadmap for where yarn and fiber can go, given a little time and effort.

Find the beauty in something and fashion it into something even better—that's what we knitters do. A good thought to end the year on.

Have fun exploring the preview, and don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss an issue!

Happy knitting,

Comments

SoulSocks wrote
on Dec 1, 2010 5:17 AM

Kathleen, in one of your posts the week of Nov. 15 - 22 there was a photo of a young man wearing a cable neck warmer.  Do you know which one it was?  I have spent hours searching for it.  It was the greatest looking neck scarf ever.  Thank You.

Nonie@2 wrote
on Nov 25, 2010 1:30 PM

Mosaic Mitts by Sandy Cushman is it possible to get the pattern for her Mosaic Mitts??

BeKKnits wrote
on Nov 23, 2010 12:04 PM

Wow, I think I liked this magazine just as much as DianaP hated it. I LOVE the cover sweater. I loved the article on Quince & Co. I loved how they have quotes from the designers of the items now. This is my fourth IK issue and I like it more than my other ones. Also, how could you look at that magazine and say that none of the designs aren't classical or timeless? If IK doesn't satisfy you than by all means go somewhere else for your resources. But IK can't make everyone happy. I thought maybe next year I would get Knitscene instead but not if they keep thrilling me with the next issues like they did with this one. All the patterns flow together and the whole magazine has an awesome aesthetic appeal. There are easier patterns and more challenging ones. Keep up the good work IK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TammyT wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 8:02 AM

I completely disagree with every word of the above bad reviews.  I am deeply grateful that Interweave Knits is responding to the vast majority of us out here knitting and wearing our knits.  I honestly can't figure out what magazine the above posters are reading.  If anyone thinks that there are no challenging patterns in recent issues then they aren't KNITTING them!  I am an advanced knitter and, while there's nothing truly difficult in knitting, there is "mindless" and "mindful" knitting.  I've certainly seen PLENTY of projects recently that made me ask, "That's gorgeous but do I really want to have to think that hard?" (e.g. most of the socks in this issue, most anything Eunny has designed, the unique shapes and colorwork in the Fall issue).  My answer usually is YES because the designs are so great.  Even if I choose a "simple" project, I often find myself being unexpectedly challenged.  One of the beautiful things about the patterns in IK is that they may LOOK easy and straightforward, but when you get down to knitting them you find that there is an interesting tweak here and a unique construction element  there that make each garment a true challenge and a joy to knit and wear.  I'm making the "Buttercream Jacket" from a couple of issues ago and it is a perfect example of this.  As for fitted and timeless items, I see 3 very fitted, very classic sweaters in the "Come together" section of this preview.  If the "Burnham Wood Capelet" does not qualify for "simple elegance" then I am at a loss to say what would.  I could understand "not hip enough" (thank God IK is not) or "Not glossy and slick enough" (again, I'm glad), but "not classic enough" , "not elegant enough" or "not challenging enough"?   Particularly compared to what else is out there?  Seriously?

AmandaK wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 12:35 PM

I agree with most of what DianeP said.  Knitting Daily has no substantive content anymore; it's just an advertising vehicle.  I hate getting bombarded with emails asking me to subscribe to a magazine to which I already subscribe.  Perhaps there could be two email lists, one for subscribers, with real content, and one for non-subscribers, with the advertising garbage.

I subscribe to Interweave Knits in spite of the patterns, not because of them.  The aesthetic of the magazine appeals to me -- the muted colours, the matte paper.  It looks much more tasteful than all the other knitting magazines.  But the patterns themselves don't usually appeal to me.  I knit only fitted knits, usually with a vintage look.  I would never knit anything as shapeless and unflattering as the two sweaters pictured above.

DianaP wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 10:33 AM

I can't believe it. I feel that the Winter 2010 edition of Interweave Knits has totally alienated me. I am one of the thousands of young women who enjoy knitting and regularly turn to this magazine for patterns and inspiration.  In the past there has always been at least 3-5 patterns that I can't live with out per magazine, but this issue contains nothing that would appeal to my tastes, never mind my demographic. Interweave knits used to be fresher and in tune with some element of current fashion, or even simply what elegance looks like. However, lately I find this publication slipping farther and farther away from these concepts/ideals.  I can flip through my dozens of back issues and find countless beautiful and timeless designs, but the recent offerings by Interweave are become increasingly stuffy, frumpy, and simple.  Where are the clean lines and interesting silhouettes? Where are the challenging designs for the more advanced knitter? Where is the progressive knit-design that was once associated with this magazine?  The beauty of Interweave's former incarnation is that when I turn to those back issues I find that many of the garments are still fashionable today. Maybe "fashionable" isn't an appropriate word, I think "timeless" better describes your previous offerings. Now I can hardly find ANYTHING that I would want to be seen wearing (though I have to admit that the socks in this issue are a small glimmer of style that remains).

I am so disappointed with the recent output of Interweave that I am considering cancelling my subscription. On top of that, I think I will remove myself from the Interweave and Knitting Daily mailing lists. The Knitting Daily "newsletters" have gone from being an engaging source of relevant information to being nothing more than a thinly veiled vehicle for advertisement. I also receive such on onslaught of redundant junk mail from you that I have started to delete all mail from "Interweave" or "Knitting Daily"  before reading it.

What is going on at Interweave? Have you lost all integrity? I want my magazine back. If this current trend of complacency continues, I will be cancelling my subscripting after the spring issue.  Why should I pay for such irrelevant content when I can find more challenging and satisfying material in a free publication like www.knitty.com?

on Nov 5, 2010 10:27 AM

Hi Alice. Yes, the Oslo Walk Shawl is in the winter 2010 Knits.

Kathleen

Alice666 wrote
on Nov 5, 2010 10:23 AM

Is the Oslo walk shawl pattern in the magazine if not where can it be obtained.

Thank you..Alice