To Brighten Your Day: A Free Knitted Rosette Pattern

Dec 20, 2010

Louisa Harding's Poppy hat and rosette from her new book Knitting in the Details
Nothing finishes off a project like a bit of bling. I always like a little sparkle, but I find myself increasingly drawn to glittery goodness in the winter months.

So I need a little pick-me-up right about now. How about you?

Designer extraordinaire Louisa Harding has just come out with a new book called Knitting in the Details: Charming Designs to Knit and Embellish. Louisa is an amazing artist whose work tends to be wonderfully feminine. When I was working at my local yarn shop, we had a corner that showcased Louisa's yarns, pattern booklets, and samples we had knitted up of some of our favorites. I loved a pair of fingerless mitts that were embellished with a crocheted lace edging. They were simple and beautiful. I'm lucky enough to have had a peek at  Knitting in the Details, and I can tell you that it's as fabulous as anything Louisa's ever done!

Here's an excerpt from Louisa's introduction, where she talks about why she loves embellishments:

My desire to collect all things that sparkle or glisten is insatiable. I love anything that looks as if it has a hidden story, such as a vintage brooch at the thrift shop, a jar of old belt buckles in the dusty corner of my local haberdashery shop, and my mother's jewelry boxes filled with broken trinkets.

I am compelled to collect and surround myself with these castoffs, waiting for a flash of inspiration to give these once-loved items a continuing story.

This book, Knitting in the Details, is the beginning of the story I want to tell about using beautiful embellishments for knitted projects. Knitting is a wonderfully creative pursuit that is both meditative and relaxing, and while there are many patterns and yarns for fantastic projects, I believe that a bit of personal history or added creativity enhances each piece.

For me, embellishment is about adding buttons from an old shirt to the edging of a scarf or the charms from a broken bracelet to the flounce on a purse. It is about rediscovering techniques that my grandmother's generation used to add decoration to their work— embroidery, beading, and appliqué—all skills that make a project unique. In our world of availability and mass production, it is comforting to revisit these techniques to make appealing projects.

—Louisa Harding

Gilding the Lily

Louisa's Poppy hat design, shown above left, is just lovely without the rosette, and many people will choose to make it with just the ribbon laced through the eyelets.

I love, love, love the rosette, though! It transforms the hat from a very pretty cap to a beautiful eye-catcher. I thought I'd pass on the rosette pattern to you—I think it would make a wonderful pin or hair clip, too. Or how about a holiday package topper? Can you imagine getting a gift with that beautiful rosette attached to the top?

Large Rosette
Use worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles. Choose two colors, one for the cast-on, which is A, and one for the rest of the rosette, which is B. You can really use any yarn for this project—if you use thinner yarn, your rosette will be smaller and it'll be larger if you use a bulkier yarn! Just choose needles that are appropriate to your yarn choice. The example photographed here is knit with Louisa Harding Thistle (60% merino,40% suri alpaca) #8 Berry (A) and  #12 Winter (B).

With A, CO 222 sts. Change to B.
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: K2, [k1, sl this st back onto left-hand needle, lift the next 8 sts on left-hand needle over this st and off the needle, knit the first st again, k2] 20 times— 62 sts rem.Work short-rows as follows:
Row 3: K54, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 4 and all even-numbered rows through Row 14: Knit to end.
Row 5: K46, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 7: K38, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 9: K30, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 11: K22, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 13: K14, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 15: K6, wrap next st, turn work.
Row 16: Knit to end.
Cut yarn, thread tail through sts on needle, pull tightly to create a rosette, and secure with a few stitches.

I think I'll use a metallic yarn for the cast-on to really give the rosette some glitz! Have fun with this, and be sure and order your copy of Knitting in the Details.

Cheers,

Featured Product

Knitting in the Details Charming Designs to Knit and Embellish

Availability: Out Of Stock
Was: $22.95
Sale: $3.99

Hardcover

Learn from best-selling author and knitwear designer Louisa Harding unique and creative ways to bring big appeal to your knitting with charming embellishments.

Comments

Kathyb2 wrote
on Aug 23, 2011 4:53 PM

I down loaded knitting in the details louisa harding and can't find Ella's hat it is beautiful. I paied $17.95..can I get that pattern again please?

LucilleH wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 10:06 PM

I love the rosette pattern but I really want the hat pattern to go with the rosette.  Is there any way the hat pattern can be made available or is it already?

Lucille

cvfarmgirl@msn.com

jonitx53 wrote
on Dec 22, 2010 8:13 PM

I've been knitting for about four years now and I learned two new techniques with this rosette, the lifting the stitches completely off the needle and then reknitting it, and wrapping a stitch! Luckily, I have another book, "The Knitter's Handbook" that explained it for me! My rosette turned out great! Thank you for the free pattern!

LaurieR wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 9:42 PM

I just finished my first flower...too cute!

Andrea, I just wrapped the yarn around the needle and then turned it just like I had finished that row. The wrap around the needle is to keep a hole from showing in your work and I think it adds a tiny bit of height. Just follow the directions and you'll have a cute little ruffly flower!

I'm thinking I may have to get this book after the holidays.

rosaflava wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 8:35 PM

@Andrea: Check out youtube for instructional videos on wrapping & turning.  I think it's one of those things that you have to watch in order to understand.  Once you get it, it's incredibly easy.

Andrea K wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 6:52 PM

How do you "wrap next st"? I never heard of this and don't understand the instructions. Anyone-- HELP please!

LaurieR wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 11:16 AM

This will be a terrific and quick gift for my belly dance troupe mates! Just reading through Row 2's instructions seems a bit confusing. Hopefully it'll make sense when I get home and I'm working through my first flower!

on Dec 20, 2010 11:07 AM

Oh, and the example photographed here is knit with Louisa Harding Thistle (60% merino,40% suri alpaca) #8 Berry (A) and  #12 Winter (B).

Kathleen

Vicki@79 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 11:05 AM

This is a very nice flower! Thanks for the pattern. I think I know what you mead by "wrap next stitch", but could you give a little more detail on this part of the instructions? Thanks for giving the size of needles and yarn - that was a big detail that was missing.

JanL wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 9:49 AM

Adorable, thank you!

on Dec 20, 2010 9:35 AM

Sorry, folks! You can use any yarn for this rosette. The rosette in the book is done with worsted weight yarn and size 8 needles. You use two colors, one for the cast-on, which is A, and one for the rest of the rosette, which is B.

Kathleen

jokittens11 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 9:22 AM

I found answers by going to the book on Amazon and doing "search inside this book."

Use size 8 needles and worsted weight yarn (#4 medium).

jokittens11 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 9:04 AM

It's not really a free pattern when the directions are so incomplete.  Can you at least tell us if you used circular needles?

LaurieS@3 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 8:45 AM

I noticed there is no needle size/ yarn weight or gauge. These would be important.

DianeK@5 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 8:30 AM

I would also like to know what size needles, and what yarn is used.  Thanks

Mary AnnH@7 wrote
on Dec 20, 2010 8:22 AM

The directions say with A and larger needles - but what size are those larger needles?  I am a fairly new knitter and still need more info for this type of thing - I am still not sure what needles and what weight yard is being used.  Is the hat pattern available as well??  Thanks