Slightly Obsessed with Socks

Jan 12, 2011

Pavo Slipper Socks from Interweave Knits, Winter 2010
Since writing my newsletter last Friday, I've taken my newest resolution—getting back to sock knitting—very seriously!

I've mentioned that I'm moving, and in the process of packing up my office I started looking through my sock books. I probably spent an hour looking at patterns and thinking about which yarns from my stash would work with certain patterns, which seriously derailed the packing process!

I got back on track—books boxed, sock yarn packaged, and then I came upon the winter 2010 issue of Interweave Knits, which has an entire section called "We Love Socks." Sheesh. I'm being stalked by sock patterns!

There are five patterns in We Love Socks: three pairs of knee-socks, a pair of regular height socks, and a pair of footies. I talked last week about how I like to knit booties, and I'm almost through with my first footie of the pair I started on Friday night (thank you football playoffs!) so I need something to follow up.

Since the national championship is on tonight, I should be ready to cast on a new pair of socks tomorrow and in keeping with the footie plan, it has to be Chrissy Gardiner's Pavo Slipper Socks. They're written for worsted-weight yarn (I've packed up all of mine, so a trip to my LYS might be in order!), so they'll be done fast. Which is great, because it's been in the high teens in Spokane, and I can't keep my feet warm!

I love the simple cable detailing, too. I think I'll do these in a bright color—maybe similar to the purple shown or maybe in a bright red or blue. I should mention that this would be a great first sock pattern, too. Fast + easy = perfect for beginners.

Here's a glimpse of the other four sock patterns featured in the winter issue of Knits

Jenna Hurry's Alpha Stockings feature four twisted stitch cable lattices knitted up to knee-high length. Corrugated rib, Norwegian snowflakes, and a checkerboard heel add tradition-inspired flourish to thick, warm Stranded Boot Stockings by Kari Anderson. Get out your intarsia bobbins! Rich color, precise geometry, and unexpected whimsy evoke 1920s style in Lisa D. Jacobs's Art Deco Argyle Stockings. Judy Alexander's Pinked Socks show off handpainted colors with graphic, easy zigzags. These are perfect for your first stranded-colorwork project.

Subscribe to Interweave Knits—you'll become slightly obsessed with socks, too!

Cheers,

Comments

Rhonda58 wrote
on Mar 23, 2013 6:36 PM

How do I get the pattern for Jenna Hurry's Alpha stockings?

Cinemas4you wrote
on Jan 20, 2011 2:11 AM

<a href="www.imagegossips.com/.../"><b>Airplane Mishap Photos: Unbelievable, But True!</b></a>  This is almost too hard to believe. It’s got to be staged, right? According to Snopes, it’s not.

Zoe wrote
on Jan 14, 2011 9:18 PM

Hi, its me again.  I forgot to ask if anyone has the book "Around the World in Knitted Socks" by Stephanie van der Linden??  What do you think of it?

I am thinking I would like to own this book.  How do other sock knitters rate this book?

Zoe wrote
on Jan 14, 2011 9:15 PM

Hi all sock knitters and want to be sock knitters,

I can add my two cents to the Ann Budd book!!  I really is truly wonderful in explanation and in diagrams.  Very easy to understand.  Just a word of caution, anyone looking to learn how to knit from the toe up will not benefit from this book.  It is all about knitting socks from the cuff down! Just my kind of thing.

For RobinM, I would suggest you also invest in a library book that deals with knitting from the toe up.  After you turn the heel, you can adjust the length and width of the sock as you knit it to fit "up your leg".  It may be simplier for you this way.  Also see if there is an established knitter in your community who would help you with your knee high socks.

Amontillada wrote
on Jan 13, 2011 7:32 AM

RobinM, when it comes to resizing socks, I've found a lot of help in Ann Budd's "Getting Started Knitting Socks"!  This book includes basic sock knitting instructions in different weights of yarn, from fingering to bulky, and great instructions on sizing patterns--including guidelines on adjusting the pattern in case proportions are different from the "standard" size. Look for it in the local library or bookstore, or order form Interweave at shop.knittingdaily.com/.../Getting-Started-Knitting-Socks.html .

NicoleF wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 10:58 PM

I am on the second of the Pavo slipper socks.  It's my first time doing a cable and has been a nice and easy intro to this new (to me) technique.  I also enjoyed learning the cast on which was also new to me.  The bind off is a little loose for my tastes, so be aware of this.  I might stop the cable before the ribbing section on another pair just to be sure they didn't get saggy with repeated wear.  I used a beautiful merino yarn with amazing color changes of red, oranges, peach and yellow-bright and cheerful!

RobinM wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Kathleen, I have a request for you.  Is there any chance you might do a blog post on up-sizing knee socks?  I desperately love knee socks; I wear them literally all winter.  But I can only wear socks I've bought, because knee-sock patterns are 100% of the time too small to fit me.  I'm not an accomplished enough sock-knitter to know how to alter a knee-sock pattern to fit my larger-than-standard (though not necessarily larger-than-average!) calves, but I would really like to know how to do this, and I bet I'm not alone.  Could you help out your large-calved knitting sistren and brethren?

PAR32 wrote
on Jan 12, 2011 9:04 AM

Too few sock patterns show alternate sizes.