Only 363 days until Super Bowl XLVI (46)!

Feb 6, 2011

The Green Bay Packers just took home the Lombardi Trophy in Super Bowl 45, and I'm already thinking about next year's Super Bowl in Indianapolis.

Knitting Daily is partnering with the Super Bowl host committee in their Super Scarves project; join us in making scarves for the 8000 volunteers who will be participating in the 2012 Super Bowl.

This year's Super Bowl weather was a bit chilly, but February in Indianapolis is downright cold! Your donated, handcrafted scarf will warm up volunteers and be part of the official volunteer uniform.

We're working on a free pattern for our own Super Scarf, and I wanted to give you a preview. The football pattern is by Lisa Vienneau & Allison Barrett of Knitwits-Heaven.com, and we just love it!

I'll put up a blog post and a link to the free pattern when it's finished, so stay tuned; it'll be soon!

In the meantime, here are the guidelines for the Super Scarves project so you can get your yarn together (about 500 yards of worsted-weight yarn and size 7 or 8 needles) and be ready to knit!

Go team!

Comments

2qute wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 1:09 PM

Sounds like a fun thing to do. Count me in . I'm just waitting for the pattern and I'll start knitting my little fingers away.

laineelou wrote
on Feb 16, 2011 5:19 PM

Put me in...I am going to Michael's tomorrow to get the yarn. I need the knitting instructions.    How and where do I get them ? O by the way... I am an avid football person !

klandreneau wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 7:06 AM

Sounds fun--would like to join!  Katherine

JenF@9 wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 9:58 AM

To me it is charity knitting if I purchase the supplies and donate my time. As stated above the Superbowl organization makes tons of money and does not need me to donate my much more limited resources to help make their football game a little warmer for the volunteers. The football players, coaches, tv personalities, half-time performers, advertising companies producing the ads, even the people selling the hot dogs get paid big, big bucks to use their skills in the game. Why would I give mine away for free? It just seems to show a lack of respect for knitting and crocheting to me.

obxknit wrote
on Feb 10, 2011 1:26 PM

Kathleen,

I think it is a wonderful idea.  Please let us know when you have a pattern.  I have purchased the yarn and am waiting!

Thanks!!!

on Feb 8, 2011 10:28 AM

Some background on the project: It was was started by groups of older knitters in Indianapolis who wanted to volunteer for the 2012 Super Bowl and do something nice for the teams of other volunteers since they weren't physically able to volunteer at the event.

The Super Bowl host committee was immediately supportive and recognized that a handmade scarf is a sign of appreciation and love—an instant message of "We are grateful for you as a volunteer"; the scarves will be part of their official uniform. It was a grassroots effort and the entire city has gotten behind it—adding knitting classes to libraries and schools. More info: www.indianapolissuperbowl.com/super-scarves

I wouldn't call this charity knitting, per se, just a fun way to be a part of the Super Bowl.

If you have a favorite charity that you love knitting for, please leave it in the comments, with a link so we can join in. Thanks!

AmandaB@41 wrote
on Feb 8, 2011 9:01 AM

Holy smokes? You're in Indy? I'm in Muncie - no decent LYSs up here, so I go to Indy all the time.

LisaA@18 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 3:49 PM

I agree with NancyG and AmyH.  This year in Arlington the volunteers received a collared shirt, windbreaker and ball cap - all made by Reebok, paid for by Allstate.

AmyH@15 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 2:43 PM

I agree with NancyG.  I would rather knit for the homeless or NICU or things like that.  Let the NFL take care of their own volunteers.  I can't even afford to go to a regular game much less a Super Bowl game so they can more than afford to take care of their volunteers.

NancyG@4 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 1:36 PM

The Super Bowl is a multi-billion dollar operation taking in big bucks for the NFL, the players union, the sponsors, the media - why do they need volunteers, and why do the volunteers need free scarves? There are SO many worthwhile charitable organizations that need this kind of support - why are you endorsing handing over labor and materials by knitters, most of whom cannot even afford a ticket to the Super Bowl (said to be in the $4K region this year - FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS PER SEAT!!)??

NancyPof wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 11:16 AM

Please advise when above pattern for 2012 Super Bowl scarves are posted and where to find them.  thks

lobelm wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 10:58 AM

I'm in too.  Can't wait to see the pattern!

loretta@33 wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 9:01 AM

OK I,m in

mlcspouse wrote
on Feb 7, 2011 7:47 AM

Are there pictures and patterns to ones done in the past??