Fancy Stitches for Special Yarn

Feb 28, 2011

My fancy yarn stash. It's just begging to be reinvented into beautiful scarves, shawls, or cowls!
Do you have some special skeins of yarn sitting in your stash awaiting greatness? I do!

Most came from vacation visits to local yarn stores, though I have some from my Spokane shops, too. I was looking through my stash in preparation for this newsletter, and I noticed that many of my special yarn purchases have a little metallic content. Shiny!

I usually get just one or two skeins when I'm "vacation yarn shopping"; I look for things that my local shops don't carry. I always buy just enough for a scarf—I don't want to spend all of my vacation money on yarn! (Why do I hear hysterical laughter out there??)

All of my fancy yarn is still in its balls or skeins. That's not very nice, is it? I want to wear my yarn, hopefully sooner than later.

Enter Knitting Daily TV. In episode 604, host Eunny Jang demonstrates three easy drop stitch patterns that really pack a wallop for very little effort, and I think any one of them would be perfect for those special skeins!

Here's a clip from that show, where Eunny demonstrates all three techniques.

Pretty neat, huh? All three of these are easy and turn out beautifully, as you can see.

Here are the three stitch patterns.

Elongated Stitch
Vertical Drop Stitch
Interlaced Stitch

Elongated Stitch (Multiple Of 10 Sts + 6)
Rows 1 and 2: Knit.
Row 3 (right side): K6, *(yo) twice, k1, (yo) 3 times, k1, (yo) 4 times, k1, (yo) 3 times, k1, (yo) twice, k6; rep from *.
Row 4: Knit, dropping all yo's off needle.
Rows 5 and 6: Knit.
Row 7: K1, rep from * of Row 3, end last rep k1 instead of k6.
Row 8: As Row 4.
Rep Rows 1-8.

Vertical Drop-Stitch (Multiple Of 8 Sts + 4)
Preparation row, right side: K1, *p2, k1, yo, k1, p2, k2; rep from *, end p2, k1.
Rows 1, 3, and 5 (wrong side): P1, *k2, p2, k2, p3; rep from *, end k2, p1.
Rows 2 and 4: K1, *p2, k3, p2, k2; rep from *, end p2, k1.
Row 6: K1, *p2, k1, drop next st off needle and unravel down to the yo six rows below; k1, p2, k1, yo, k1; rep from *, end p2, k1.
Rows 7, 9, and 11: P1, *k2, p3, k2, p2; rep from *, end k2, p1.
Rows 8 and 10: K1, *p2, k2, p2, k3; rep from *, end p2, k1.
Row 12: K1, *p2, k1, yo, k1, p2, k1, drop next st off needle and unravel six rows down as before, k1; rep from *, end p2, k1.
Rep Rows 1-12.

Interlaced Stitch (Multiple Of 8 Sts)
Rows 1-4: Knit.
Row 5: K1, * insert needle into the next st and wrap yarn 4 times around the needle, then knit the st withdrawing all the wraps along with the needle. Rep from * on every st across row to last st, ending k1.
Row 6: *Sl 8 sts wyib, dropping all extra wraps, thus forming 8 long sts on right-hand needle. Then insert left-hand needle into the first 4 of these 8 long sts and pass them over the second 4 sts. Then return all sts to left-hand needle and knit the 8 sts in this crossed order, the 2nd 4 first and the original 4 next. Rep from * on each group of 8 sts.
Rows 7-10: Knit.
Row 11: Rep Row 5.
Row 12: Sl 4 sts dropping extra wraps, then cross 2 over 2 as in Row 6 and knit these 4; *sl 8, cross, and knit as in Row 6; rep from * on each group of 8 sts across row to last 4 sts, end by crossing 2 over 2.
Rep Rows 1-12.

When I bought one of my special yarns, it was shown a scarf using the elongated stitch. It was so beautiful—I just have to have the yarn!

I'm inspired by Eunny, as usual. In fact, the entire series 600 of Knitting Daily TV is full of information like this, you'll love it! And if you can't find KDTV on your PBS station, you can get the entire season now on DVD!

Now I'm motivated to swatch one of these patterns! How about you? Which stitch is your favorite?

Cheers,

Comments

sandillajoan wrote
on Apr 27, 2011 8:37 PM

I love the interlaced stitch. Although I've made numerous items using the elongated stitch and drop stitch, I've never crossed stitches over. I'm having a problem w/this pattern and would so appreciate some help/suggestions regarding it.

First of all, Row 5 begins and ends with a knit stitch. Doesn't it follow that Rows 6 and 11 would begin and end with a knit stitch as well? That would be an edge/selvedge st.  That's what I've been doing. Is it correct?

Next when I insert the left needle into my elongated stitches to cross the stitches over and put them back on the left needles - I have to keep checking to make sure they are not twisted. What am I doing wrong?

Last - I noticed that some of the cross over and knitted stitches are quite 'loose' - and not uniform and although they are somewhat so in the picture demonstrated here  not nearly as noticeable as mine.

Also are all the crossovers supposed to go in the same direction? They seem to on the photo but mine don't. Am I counting my rows incorrectly?

Please, if somebody can help me out or give me some advice I would be ever so grateful!  I've been working on this stitch for two days and I still can't get it right.  Usually I can figure these things out when I see a video but for some reason although I think I'm doing as Eunny is, it's pretty obvious I'm not and I don't know where I'm going wrong.

sandillajoan wrote
on Apr 26, 2011 5:43 AM

Great video, but my biggest problem is that it goes too fast for a real beginner. Also, it can be difficult for those of us who throw versus pick since the videos here (and elsewhere on this site) usually use the pick method - I find it hard to visualize the method and transfer it to the knitting method i use.  can't this type of video be shown using both methods of knitting?

krismort wrote
on Mar 13, 2011 10:56 PM

My LYS is actually in the next town south. (I get most of my yarn from closer craft and fabric stores.) I go there when I have a project that the craft store yarns just don't work for but like to stop in whenever I'm down that way during business hours and peruse their clearance rack for inspiration. I got several skeins a couple of weeks ago with visions of lacy scarves. I'm looking forward to trying these.

Saundra@7 wrote
on Mar 6, 2011 2:39 PM

I love to watch Eunny knit and would love to see in slow motion how she knits!  She goes so fast that you can't really see what she's doing!  Could she please, please slow down sometime so we can REALLY SEE how she knits.  The video onthe Elongated Stitch, Vertical Drop-Stitch & Interlaced Sitch looks so beautiful but in order for us to "get it" we need it in slow motion!

Zoe wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 12:27 PM

I believe that the interlaced stitch is also called Indian Cross Stitch???  There are so many names for the same stitch patterns used in knitting!!  Happy knitting everyone!

For the person looking for the Kitchener stitch, just put the words kitchener stitch into the search bar at the top right hand corner of the page.  There is a ton of information there.  Kathleen has put out several blogs on it.

techcindy wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 9:13 AM

LOVE the vertical drop stitch & will use it for the 2 new skeins purchased here in Chile on Monday!

I bought some fiber (2 skeins) made out of 100% sugar cane from the Araucana fiber line - AND met the owner of the company as well!!!!!  Wonderful day, wonderful fiber shop (in Santiago) and wonderful owner!!!!

ElizabethS@2 wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 6:38 AM

Loved the picture of Poppy!  I volunteer for a Springer rescue, and love to see them anywhere.

GraceS@2 wrote
on Mar 2, 2011 2:50 AM

Hi Kathleen

I have been knitting and crochet since I was a small girl.  These patterns fascinate me and get my hands itching to try them.  It's the first time that I have seen the Interlaced stitch.  It looks very tempting for tha scarf that I was going to start knitting for my niece.  I'll try it tonight, for sure.

Thanks for all the interesting information and tempting projects

gulum wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 3:46 PM

These are very nice designs. Summer yarns will look fancy with them. Video helps to understand and keep in mind more than the explanations. Thanks to all who prepare them for us. More videos of this sort will be appreciated.

Gulum from Istanbul-Turkey

RosemaryC wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 1:50 PM

I got your email, and went to my stash right away. The elongated stitch is on my needles for a scarf. I had left it on my chair, while I was having lunch and my husband walked into the kitchen and said: "That pattern you have on your needles is great!" I am stoked!!!! Thank you.

DarlinJill wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 1:09 PM

I saw the interlaced stitch pattern in a stitch dictionary and used it on the bottom of a shell pattern I made for myself in a soft cotton yarn.  It looks so fancy and a lot of my friends have asked how to do it.  Thanks for sharing this.

Ann LouiseR wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 10:29 AM

JoAnn . . . LOVE your suggestion.  I love lace AND beads!

Ann LouiseR wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 10:25 AM

Kathleen,  Thank you very much for this topic with the video and instructions included!  It inspires me to look through my yarns and try all 3.  I have 2 gift packs of mohair yarn that I'm not sure what to do with.  All the info is in Japanese, so I'm stumped about what I can make with it . . . scarfs look good to me!

RuthM@28 wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 9:31 AM

As soon as I opened this e-mail I grabbed needles and yarn and cast on to make a scarf out of the interlaced stitch.  Forest green fingering weight with US 3's. So far, i'm loving it!  The video from Eunny was so helpful, as I am a visual learner and can learn much more quickly than when just reading directions- especially for a stitch that looks like it could be so complicated, but is actually so simple!!

lfd wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 7:33 AM

I have tried all of these stitches and they are great but I am wondering about a problem I have had with the elongated stitch.   The dropped stitches seem really loose and sloppy and I am wondering if I am knitting too loose or will this work out in blocking?

Nancyfromaus wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 11:23 PM

I like the elongated stitch, as it seems quite easy as it is only an eight row pattern.  I will try it in a scarf the next time I knit.  Thanks

on Feb 28, 2011 11:18 PM

Vertcal Drop Stitch is my Favorite...Thank You for the Post & the Video.

Mrs stitches

spanks wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 9:05 PM

these are great, i've been doing a version that looks exactly like broomstick lace, only for knitters, but this is sooo much easier, cant wait to add these three into my lace weight 'mosaic'  wrap i'm doing.....

Claudia G. wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 4:10 PM

I love the interlaced stitch.  But more importantly, when is Knitting Daily going to be on one of the PBS stations in Chicago?  We don't have cable or satellite!  I've looked all over for your program, and cannot find it on any of the PBS stations (whidh is where I figure you'd air it).  WTTW has a great digital channel called "Create."  They have other needlework programs on - why not KD?

Mrs Buffalo wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 3:32 PM

Thank you so much for the video and the great explanation of these stitches.  So much fun I cannot wait to try them out.  Now I can scheme and plan what wonderful garment is going to be adorned with these lovelies.  Love knittingdaily.

Thanks so much

KathyMC wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 2:53 PM

I have some very strange yarn in my stash. I believe the interlaced would work great for scarves or shawls. I would like to watch the video, but still have dial-up and cn not get them to play. Oh Well!

Toni9399 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 12:06 PM

these videos are amazing - thanks so much .  eunny is articulate, easy to listen to and understand, and demonstrates beautifully.  i have been knitting for almost 26 years and always learn something new!

toni

Prezlaura wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 11:36 AM

This was a great blog!! Thanks for the added bonus of the instructional video. The unique knitted patterns/stitches are a great addition to my "must knit" list :-)  I really enjoy knitting different pattern/stitch combinations.  Keep the inspiration coming :-)

Laura

rebeccawip wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 11:26 AM

I absolutely love all three of those techniques - they look fun and easy and they really would let some special yarn really shine - it would look specatcular in those stitches.  I've never watched a knitting daily video and i love it!  Eunny Jang does a great job explaining - i'll have to check out some of the knitting daily dvd's - i've been hesitating for awhile but they look great!

diannoe wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 10:52 AM

Hi Kathleen,

It's great that this post came today.  About 12 of us girls meet on Mondays to

"S & B" and I wound up fixing a dropped stitch/yo for one of the gals on a ribbed hat she is making.  I told her she should take up lace knitting as she has learned to put in yo's in many places in her patterns as well as 'ladders' here and there.  I love this group, especially your comments about 'vacation yarn shopping'.  My son lives in So. California and knows to scout out LYS for me to visit when I arrive from the East Coast.  I always have a skein or two to put in my suitcase on my return.  You know what that is all about and can relate.  I love wearing my knitted treasure finds, too.

akayok9 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 10:31 AM

Kathleen,  This is one of your coolest posts ever.  I am feeling inspired.

ATENA wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 10:09 AM

Hola: Me ha encantado ver tu video. Lamento no poder escribirte en inglés, pero he entendido las explicaciones perfectamente. Voy a ponerme ha hacer unas muestras enseguida. Gracias

Bev@2 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 9:40 AM

I love them all, but the Interlaced Stitch is perhaps my favorite because now that I've seen it here I recognize it as the stitch pattern I used in an ancient UFO afghan/blankie that I have picked up a few times and tried to recall what the pattern was.  SO glad you posted this!

on Feb 28, 2011 9:02 AM

Me encanta esta página, felicidades

on Feb 28, 2011 8:42 AM

mmmm, thank you !!! I didn't know this! :)

CrazyGrammy wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 8:31 AM

What fun.  I belong to a knitting group and they are always looking for something new and i think we've found it.  I've printed out the instructions and watched the video. Hopefully I can help them and me do them all.  Can't wait to try it tomorrow at our group.  thank you.

Judi in Folsom, CA

farblumtns wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 8:30 AM

I'm so glad to hear that other people visit the LYS as part of their vacation.  I always treat myself to something that I wouldn't ordinarily buy as part of my vacation budget.  My thought is that I would use these treats as edging.  Could you propose some ideas for a narrow editing for a sweater?  I'm always afraid that I'll run out while knitting up an edging and I have no guideline about how much yarn to use for a given width of trim of a set amount of inches.  I'm so frugal with these yarn treats that I hate to was any of it! And therefore...it sits!

PamG@4 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 7:49 AM

I wish you had that in caption for the deaf. It really something I would like to know what was said while the knittng was going on.

on Feb 28, 2011 7:43 AM

I actually felt more comfortable doing the Interlaced Stitch technique. Because I had control of the stitches! With th eother two, dropping them down to the first yarn over, is fun, 'but scarry' ... out-of-control-like-feeling that it might not stop each time it happens... ((Memory of lost stitches ruining knitting in past...))

Thanks I need this . . . The videos are Perfect for me ! I'm willing to challenge myself! And that growth is so healthy to the creative genes. . .

This stitch, Interlaced stitch.. . .reminds me of the broomstick lace projects I did in crochet back in the 70's !

I Didn't knit much back then. . . I was very Busy Baby Raising... So I saw quickly, that with crocheting, I never lost stitches, and I could drop my work and take care of little ones in an instant...then come back and continue crocheting easily ...even if a toddler pulled it out a bit.... no loss like the rebuilding of stitches when a needle comes out of knitting and it might be tossed about by the other child, before I returned to it. . .

mjcruse wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 7:27 AM

love the elongated- just finished a yellow scarf in a satin blend for spring- thanks for the others. vertical drop/ interlaced- martha cruse

bmesoy wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 7:21 AM

Hi.

Great stitches!

But Kathleen, did you get my mail over a month ago about doing the Kitchener stich the painless way? If not please tell me an email I can use to resend it.

Yours kindly,

Birte from Oslo, Norway

on Feb 28, 2011 7:10 AM

My current favorite of the three elongated types is Interlaced Stitch. It isn't seen as often as the other two.

deej@11 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:53 AM

I did a scarf with the elongated stitch, and LOVE it!  Quite easy to knit, but the effect is great.  Dee

DebbieR wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:46 AM

Ya...I agree...If it wasn't for videos, I wouldn't be knitting now!  I don't have a LYS to take classes--so I very much appreciate Knitting Daily!!!!!!!!!

ljerka wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:37 AM

Very nice!!!!Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Jo AnnW@2 wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:35 AM

For some of those lighter weight yarns, I'd love to see some "lacy" patterns. Selfishly, my son is getting married this year, and my future daughter in law has asked me to make her, her wedding shawl. I think this might be a good time for those June weddings, to maybe review/suggest some shawls  appropriate for a wedding, along with wedding caplets and shrugs. And I would also mention, just to kick it up a notch....perhaps a few beads, strategically placed!

knitting daily....and then some!

Jo Ann

KT-3crochnit wrote
on Feb 28, 2011 6:21 AM

I love the videos. Sometimes no matter how carefully I read the instructions, I just can't figure out exactly what to do. With the excellent videos I have lots of aha! moments, and lots of inspiration to get busy with some beautiful yarn!

Thanks for those awesome videos!