Knit a prayer shawl for somone in need (plus a free eBook!)

Sep 2, 2011

3 Free Prayer Shawls: 1) Simple Prayer Shawl, 2) Lacy Prayer Shawl, and 3) Comfort Shawl
Prayer shawls can be knitted for anyone in need of comfort or well-wishes. The idea is that the knitter sends love and good wishes with every stitch she knits, literally knitting her good will, prayers, and hopes into the prayer shawl. Prayer shawl patterns are usually easy to knit, this is so that the knitter can concentrate on the thoughts being poured into the stitches rather than a complicated knitting pattern.

In our new free eBook, 3 Free Prayer Shawl Patterns: Easy Knitted Shawl Patterns for Reflection and Inspiration, we've gathered three knit shawl patterns for you, two easy and one that's just a tad more challenging.

The first one, Simple Prayer Shawl, is an easy-as-pie pattern with an eyelet border. The second, Lacy Prayer Shawl, is a variation of the first, with a column of eyelets up the center of the shawl, too. The third, Comfort Shawl, adds a little more embellishment but is still simple and quick to knit.

If you know someone who needs a pick-me-up, make them a prayer shawl. You'll both get so much out of the experience.

Cheers,

Comments

on Oct 28, 2011 8:38 AM

I have had this shawl on stop for over a month, hoping to get an answer to the question I posted on Sept. 26. Can anyone help me.

I need to get this done for my daughter ASAP as there is a possibility of severe surgery soon.

Thanks, Judy Walkers

Annette815 wrote
on Oct 18, 2011 8:21 AM

I am still have trouble with the Lacy Prayer Shawl.  Should Row 2 be K2, P3, K2 ?

on Sep 25, 2011 5:05 PM

I am at a standstill on the Comfort Shawl.  I am at the 43-44 row section.  According to the instructions, I am to knit even until the back is approximately 13" long.

If I read the instructions correctly, the stitch count is to remain at 215 stitches for this section.  However, in looking at the main picture, it looks as if the front continues to increase on each right side row.  That is, unless the pictured shawl had the Little Arrowhead Lace started at row 44.  Would it be possible for Sandi Wiseheart clarify this for me?

Thanks for your help.

Judy

Klara East wrote
on Sep 9, 2011 2:22 PM

I'm a beginner knitter and I'm knitting (trying) the first shawl.  Is there a simple way knitters keep track of whether the row is a knit row or a purl row?  Is there a way to look at the piece and tell which one I'm on?

on Sep 8, 2011 9:34 PM

Hello,

Please advise on the simple prayer shawl. Do you have instructions on what point to begin decreasing?

Thanks!

Linn Murphy wrote
on Sep 8, 2011 5:27 PM

I'm sorry, I spoke too soon.  How do we go from Row 1 to 2?  Should Row 2 be:  K2, P3, K2???

Linn Murphy wrote
on Sep 8, 2011 5:19 PM

whew!  So glad to get the correction on the Lacy Prayer Shawl!

on Sep 6, 2011 4:53 PM

Here's the correct pattern for the Lacy Prayer Shawl:

Cast on 5 stitches.

Row 1: (RS): K2, pm, YO, pm, K1, pm, YO, pm, K2.

Row 2: K2, P5, K2.

Row 3: K2 sl m, YO, K to next marker, YO, sl m, K1, sl m, YO, K to next marker, YO, sl m, K2.

Row 4: K2, P across to last 2 stitches, K2.

Repeat Rows 3 and 4 until piece is 36 inches (measured on the diagonal side) or until shawl is desired size. Bind off loosely and block shawl to bring out lace design.

I'll put up a new PDF ASAP.

jademilio wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 7:26 AM

Love the variance of these new shawl patterns.  I am new to this craft and do not know enough how to decrease the stitches while maintaining the pattern for the 1st shawl.  Please help, as I am almost to the half way point and need to start the decrease side.

Thanks

jd

on Sep 3, 2011 7:58 PM

I am knitting the Simple Prayer Shawl. Is the shawl knitted in two pieces and joined in the center? The instructions do not include when to begin decreasing to finish the shawl. Please help!!!

MaxineG wrote
on Sep 2, 2011 6:58 PM

The shawls look great; but the middle one's instructions are missing CO info, and the number of stitches  and markers doesn't seem to match up for the first few rows....  There are only two "place marker" notations, in row 1, but in row 3 there are five "slip marker" notations.....  I'm sure an experienced knitter could noodle it out, but this is billed as an easy pattern...

IngridS@3 wrote
on Sep 2, 2011 9:30 AM

Thank you so much for sharing these patterns. Prayer shawls can be so meditative and a lovely way to share your prayers with someone in need.

Thank you!