Knitting in Egypt

Oct 18, 2011

By the time you read this, I'll be in Egypt! For two weeks! And I'm sure I'm having a fabulous time.

I'm going on the adventure of a lifetime, and I'm taking my knitting along with me. My sister lives in Cairo and my friend Mimi and I are so thrilled to be visiting her. She's a knitter, too, so we've got our leisure time all planned out.

I have a second sock on the needles, which I'm sure I'll finish on the plane, and I've started a hat that I'll knit on the deck during our five-day Nile cruise. I know, you're jealous.

I've got my iPhone all loaded up with knitting apps, too. Here are the ones I think I'll use most on my trip:

YarnU is a really good database of yarn, including gauge, weight, fiber content, and yardage. The great thing about YarnU is that there's a review of each yarn, listing pros and cons, and there's a place for comments so users can add their opinions, too. I use this a lot, in fact, I just looked up the yarn I'm using for my socks to check the washing instructions.

ConvertKnit is a good reference that gives you all kinds of conversions: English to European needle sizes, a needle sizer, warn weight definitions, and an ounce to gram converter. I often use the needle sizer in this app; it works great.

Kizmet Stitches is a stitch dictionary app with about 75 knitting patterns. There's a photo of each stitch pattern, along with a chart showing how to make it. This is a fun one to browse, and to use!

Knit Counter Lite
is one I know I'll use a lot on my trip because I plan on taking just the bare bones of knitting supplies, so I'll leave my row counter behind. This is a handy app because you can set up as many counters as you need; you can have a row counter, a sleeve shaping counter, and a neck shaping counter, for example. Plus, it's free!

And our Knitting Daily app will keep me up to date on what's going on while I'm gone.

I'll post photos when I get home.

Wish you were coming with me!

Comments

Gaiamethod wrote
on Apr 24, 2013 8:01 AM

Its been a couple of years since your visit but I live in Luxor and wonder if you managed to find any yarn shops while you were in Cairo. We have a couple here but one is cheap as chips and just as bad and the other is mega expensive. They both buy their yarn in Cairo so I figured buying it there was a better option!!! Any help in that direction would be brillinat. How did your trip go?

martha1958 wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 2:57 PM

So did you go to Egypt? How was it. Given the current political climate and all of the protests going on in Cairo I would thank that it would be unsafe especially since they still do not have a real government yet.

Maryjobrown wrote
on Oct 23, 2011 12:07 AM

Cant imagine what it would be like to go to Egypt. Is this your first trip there? what does your sister do in Cairo? Will be glad to see and enjoy the pictures when you get back. Have a wonderful Vacation and Happy Knitting.Be safe  . this is from Jodyb83 your old knitter friend. I read your  knittingdaily  letters every day and dont know what i would do without knitting paradise Forum. It has been a great help to me . Hugs and have fun Jodyb83

candyb5 wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 11:42 PM

Yes you are correct, i am jealous.  Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the suggestions on the websites. I'm a new knitter and can use all the help I can get. Candace

Paula@2 wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 4:33 PM

Arrgggghhhhhhh!  All the links sent me to an Apple iTunes site!  No yarny goodness to be found!  Paula in Iowa

Lace8849 wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 12:02 PM

dodgegirl, you certainly can bring knitting needles, and even scissors with 4 in. or shorter blades.  Read your airline's guidelines.

sirgabriel wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 10:54 AM

Have fun, I'm jealous and please take lots of pics! :)

horselove wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 9:13 AM

@dodgegirl8937 - That is so funny! LOL!

Have fun on your trip Kathleen! I look forward to reading all about it when you get back!

on Oct 22, 2011 7:12 AM

Sounds great....but my question is...they let you bring knitting needles on the plane when you can't even bring nail clippers??????

on Oct 18, 2011 1:15 PM

Thanks for the app kudos, Kathleen. I appreciate it. Have fun in Egypt!