5 Great Things About Sock Knitting

Jan 25, 2012

Lorilee Beltman's Our Paths Cross Socks

There's a new Sockupied and I think it's the best one yet. My favorite sock knitting pattern from this issue is Lorilee Beltman's Our Paths Cross Socks (pictured at left). Lorilee has a wonderful vertical stranding technique that's easy to master really effective for all kinds of colorwork. I took a class from Lorilee at Sock Summit and we used this technique to make plaid socks.

There's a bunch more fun in Sockupied, too; here's editor Anne Merrow to tell you all about it!

My first pair of handknitted socks ended in tears when my Dad felted them—
but somehow I caught sock knitting fever anyway. What makes me love them so?

Let me count the ways...

5 Great Things about Knitting Socks

The Leapfrog Socks pattern turns handpaints and solids alike into a playfully patterned pair.
Cat Bordhi keeps finding new ways to knit socks. Learn about her latest invention, the Sweet Tomato Heel, in the new issue ofSockupied.

1. You can make socks fit perfectly.

Let's face it—feet are weird. They have some strange lumps and bumps that are necessary to accomplish everything we ask them to do, which can make for some odd fit issues. When you knit socks, you can adapt them to your own foot. In this issue, Kate Atherley explains how she developed a "Naïve Gusset" to customize a short-row heel.

2. You can use your brightest, most colorful handpainted yarn—or stick with subtle solids.

There are colorful yarns that would stop traffic if you used them in a sweater. If you're not eager for a pile-up, then socks are the perfect place to use them. Debbie O'Neill's Leapfrog Socks are this issue's One Sock, Two Ways pattern—they're lovely in yarns from demure to dazzling.

3. There is always something new to try.
Cat Bordhi, one of the most imaginative knitters we know, thought she'd already found the best way to knit socks . . . until she developed the Sweet Tomato Heel. Cat demonstrates her new technique, tells about her sock adventures, and offers a brand-new pattern in this issue.

What better way to feel delightfully indulged than to knit and wear Deborah Newton's sumptuous stockings?

4. They're the ultimate way to pamper yourself.
There's nothing like pulling on a perfect pair of socks in chilly weather to make me feel like I'm taking great care of myself. This issue, Deborah Newton's over-the-knee Frost Feather Stockings are a cozy indulgence to knit and wear when you need a little tender loving care.

5. Socks are
fun.
Don't take my word for it. Listen to the three talented poets who took socks as their muse and created witty limericks that will have you in stitches.

A radical cosmetic innovation
Is sweeping the sock knitting nation.
It seems the only cure known
For Second Sock Syndrome
Is Second Foot Amputation
              —Victoria Hewerdine Thornton
Plus . . . 3 Great Things about Sockupied

1. The Spring 2012 Sockupied is our largest ever. With six original patterns plus plenty of techniques, interviews, and more, this issue includes more of what you love about sock knitting.

2. It's available for the iPad.
You can take Sockupied with you on the go when you buy the iPad version—or download the PC or Mac version for your desktop or laptop. It's available at our lowest price ever.

3. We heard you! Each issue of Sockupied—even the latest—is now available for only $4.99.

Go check out Sockupied, and start the new year on the right foot.

Cheers,

Comments

Danielle wrote
on Feb 13, 2012 4:24 PM

Thanks for your interest everyone. Sockupied Spring 2012 is now available at the iTunes store!

37209wbk wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 11:39 AM

Ditto on below comments regarding unavailability on iPad!

Oghuntress wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 12:19 AM

Availabke on ipad?? Great!! *drops knitting to download onto ipad*

Hmmm…not here…maybe here??  Nope. Maybe a search for "Interweave" in the App store. Nope. Newstand? Nope.

*reads email again, then scrolls to comments*

Ohhhhhh…Interweave Magazine said there was an app when no such thing exists and wasted 20 minutes of my precious knitting time?? Great. :P

Come on guys. Let's fact check. You're wasting people's time and annoying potential customers.

debroby wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 6:17 PM

Cannot figure out how to purchase this for my iPad.

bigsister wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 12:57 PM

I too would like this on my iPad. It is much more convenient on pad than on desk top or laptop.

bmcninch wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 10:54 AM

Despite one of the items in the list of great things about sockupied 2012 being an ability to take it with you on your iPad...this is not true at this time. I purchased the Mac version for my iPad and sent interweave a msg. That I couldn't open it. I was impatient so called them the next day. I was told it didn't say occupied 2012 was available for the iPad. I didn't not press the point because it wasn't until today I was able to verify that I had in fact read that. I was also told that in a few days it would be available for the iPad when purchased through iTunes and that there were already interweave products in iTunes. I typed interweave into iTunes and got nothing related to fiber, just music etc. With variations of that word. Of course, my money was refunded.  I then purchased sockupied for pc and after a very long dowonload the program needed couldn't be found. Iwill call them again on Monday.

sandie0548 wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 10:45 AM

I want to load on my nook, where do I find it?

on Jan 28, 2012 10:44 AM

What about for Kindle?

sandie0548 wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 10:43 AM

Is there a version for the nook?

janetr@1949 wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 8:23 AM

I am also having trouble finding the sockupied app for the Ipad. Please help

Vtwmyn wrote
on Jan 28, 2012 8:18 AM

I just tried to download it to my ipad and cannot.  Thanks for making the price more reasonable.  Anybody have a solution to the ipad?

BCGramma wrote
on Jan 26, 2012 6:43 PM

I really really really want the new Sockupied for my iPad. I was so excited when I saw that it was available for the iPad. However when I go to the Apple store I can't find it. Anyone have ideas.

Mary@32 wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 3:26 PM

I thought the limerick by Victoria Hewerdine Thornton was in very poor taste.  I would love to knit a second sock for my brother, unfortunately, he just had his leg amputated.  No joke.  What were you thinking?  I guess you weren't.

photogmomma wrote
on Jan 25, 2012 3:11 PM

That sweet tomato heel rocks my world! Must. Get. iPad. App. :)