A new reason to love lace knitting!

May 11, 2012

The cuff and front panel of these elegant lace stockings are inspired by a nineteenth-century Shetland veil.
Aileron Shawl by Carol Feller

A note from Kathleen: We're so excited about the new eMag, LaceKnits! It's full of techniques you'll use right away and patterns you'll want to cast on as soon as you see them. It's be available for the iPad, in the iTunes Store. Here's editor Anne Merrow to tell you all about it.

Fresh Techniques for a Fine Tradition

"More than cables or any other kind of stitch pattern, lace was always the thing that made me feel like kind of a knitting rock star," says Ysolda Teague.

Learning to transform those yarnovers or slanting lines on a chart—what knitter doesn't feel exceptionally clever when a pattern of airy holes and decreases first takes shape on the needles?

Interweave's latest eMag, LaceKnits: Fresh Techniques for a Fine Tradition, celebrates the innovative knitters who have created such diverse lace creations. In Franklin Habit's article, "Shetland Lace (and how it got that way)," we trace two stories of the origins of the iconic shawls and lace motifs for which the islands are so famous.

Back in contemporary knitting, designer Rebecca Blair adapted two motifs from an antique lace shawl to grace the cuff and leg of her delicate Madder Stockings.

Smart Lace Techniques

Internationally recognized lace expert Margaret Stove demonstrates how different combinations of yarnovers and decreases yield more solid or more airy sections of lace, and Sivia Harding takes you step-by-step through the process of designing your own unique triangle-shaped lace shawl.

Ysolda Teague explains what she loves about knitting and designing lace, and Ann Budd explains three different ways of working a perfect finish for lace by blocking. [photo Margaret Stove value study.psd; caption: Margaret Stove demonstrates how different arrangements of yarnovers and decreases create contrast in lace patterns.]

The issue's most mind-blowing article comes from our own Joni Coniglio, senior project editor of our knitting magazines, who was always bothered by the awkwardly visible join created by working Kitchener stitch to graft two halves of a stole. There must be a way, she reasoned, to work the graft in pattern and minimize the awkwardness of that row. To our delight (but not our surprise), she developed a surprisingly simple method of rearranging stitches with a tapestry needle, then grafting to make a nearly invisible join.

Using her innovative grafting method, Joni Coniglio avoids the noticeable seam in the left sample and creates a near-invisible seam instead.
Creativity in Every Stitch

Heather Zoppetti's Clematis Tunic

The patterns in this issue have something for all fans of lace knitting.

—Carol Feller's Aileron Shawl adds curves to a basic triangle shape for an easy-to-wrap flourish.

—Lacy leaves and vines climb up from the ribbing of Heather Zoppetti's Clematis Tunic, incorporating waist shaping in the pattern.

Donna Druchunas' summer scarf
—Donna Druchunas adapted a lace pattern from traditional Lithuanian stockings for an airy summer scarf with shaped sides and fun braided tassels.

LaceKnits is packed with exciting techniques, lace patterns, stories about knitting lace through the ages. Check it out!

Cheers,

Anne

Comments

JaimeG wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 10:08 AM

We are thrilled to announce that because of the passionate response from fans of our desktop eMags, we will be reversing our decision to publish our eMags exclusively on the iPad and will be releasing them once again for the desktop PC and MAC viewing experiences. Additionally, we're going back and retroactively developing desktop versions of the eMags we released as iPad-only earlier this year, which includes Lace Knits, Color Knits, Surface Explorations, Collage in Color Volume 2, and Quilting Arts in Stitches Volume 7. We will let you know as soon as these new products are available through InterweaveStore.com. Thanks.  ~Jaime

Samara wrote
on Jun 14, 2012 3:39 AM

Seriously disappointed this isn't available as a different option. Specifically Heather Zoppetti's Clematis Tunic, which is simply stunning!

I have read through other member comments and am quite surprised KD has not yet made some indication that they are listening.

guin01 wrote
on May 27, 2012 5:49 PM

Like many others - I do not and will not own an i-pad or any other apple product, and I am so very disappointed I won't have access to this.  The patterns are truly stunning and I would very much enjoy them.  Also like many others, if this is the way IK is going, I will also be taking my subscription $ else-where.

If you're going to sell something to only i-pad users, I would suggest only marketing it on their site and not sending out an email to every subscriber and getting our hopes up on a product we want and were very excited to order.  Shame on you.

MmvH wrote
on May 23, 2012 2:59 PM

I will hang around to see if you keep to your plan or if you take our comments into consideration. If you decide your version of the bottom line is worthwhile (and of course you will have lots of sheep following you), I will be happy to dump all the related content, from all the interweave publications I subscribe to.  There are others who know what community means, and base their business practices on maintaining Tribe.

m

on May 19, 2012 9:55 PM

I love this new eMag!  Great projects and wonderful tips.  Thank you Interweave for launching more iPad versions of your eMags :)

KathyAnneW wrote
on May 19, 2012 3:57 PM

Well... I find it very interesting that I'm not the only person objecting to the iPad-only format for the new Lace e-magazine. As soon as I received the email about the item, as an iPad-only item, I sent off an inquiry about why only iPad? Of course, I received no reply. Now, reading here the others who also object and the very pallid entry by PR Director, Jaime Guthals, I am appalled at Interweave's "business decision": "The decision to stop creating our interactive eMags for desktop computer viewing wasn’t an easy one, but eventually it was a business decision to move the eMags exclusively to the iPad. Software companies are putting their new development efforts into the tablet devices as opposed to the PC/MAC devices."

You are going to lose A LOT of customers, me included, if all your emags shift only to the iPad format.I too will not buy an iPad, and I am disgusted everytime I get an email from someone that includes the tag-line: "sent from my iPhone" or "sent from my iPad" -- such arrogance...most likely primarily on the part of Apple, as the line may be programmed in. I have been an Apple computer user since 1984, and I objected when Apple modified their email addresses to "@me.com"-- disgusting.

In any case, back to the initial subject --Interweave had better re-think their "business decision", at least to have eMags suitable for Nooks and Kindles as well as iPads.

LindaHensens wrote
on May 19, 2012 2:03 PM

I have to join the party of not being happy about the decision not to offer downloading for PC through this website. I guess I won't be buying the 2 magazines that I have in my cart for digital download now. Sucks big green ones, if you ask me. Your e-mail to the masses just doesn't cut it. If you can make it available for IPAD and Nook, then you can make it available for PC download, regardless of the cost. There are simply too many folks out there that love your magazines and wish to reduce their carbon footprint and buy digital products, but who will not be buying them any longer because of this one fact. You really should reconsider your supposed "business" decision.

slkoczko wrote
on May 19, 2012 12:16 PM

I've got to say I'm unhappy about this, too.

Personally,  I'd prefer it if you followed  the model of computer publishers (oreilly.com, manning.com,  informit.com, linuxjournal.com) and offered all your publications in watermarked pdf, epub (nook), and mobi (kindle) formats. All three formats work on PCs, Macs, Ipads and Android phones and tablets. And you can embed video in them.

I'd also be subscribing to several of your magazines if I could download them in these formats from you and didn't have to go through zinio.

Just my 2 cents.

mrshiggins wrote
on May 17, 2012 5:06 PM

Please make the Lace Kntting emag available for PC.  I really like the Aileron Shawl by Carol Feller but I'm not going to buy and iPad just to get this pattern.

SheriC wrote
on May 16, 2012 1:05 PM

I think this wasn't a very smart business decision.  There are a lot of people who don't like apple products.  There are a lot of people who can't afford all the new gadgets with the economy as it is.  There are a lot of us out here who have been loyal customers for years who now have a bitter taste left by excluding the rest of us.  Hopefully you will re-think this business decision or perhaps a lot of your loyal customers will be re-thinking theirs.  There is more to business than making more profit - as long as you are earning enough to stay viable that is the important part.  Excluding a large portion of your readership isn't good business practice!

AnnD wrote
on May 16, 2012 9:40 AM

I passed on the Spring 2012 issue of IK, because a)money's tight and b)the number of patterns has dropped dramatically.  Now you "tease" with this lace e-mag (Lace! my favorite technique!), which I'll not have any access to because I don't have an I-Pad.  I have been wanting to renew my subscription to IK, but because of your inconsiderate treatment of a large portion of your readers.  I will happily spend those dollars on some other knitting magazine.

ChelseaD@5 wrote
on May 15, 2012 11:12 AM

I'm terribly disappointed to hear that you are favoring those with tablets (be it iPad or Android, etc.). I have no foreseeable means of ever getting a tablet because of all the medical costs we are dealing with (my husband has MS, I have diabetes and now I was just diagnosed with cancer). We are also raising our two young sons (2 1/2 years and 2 months) whom we have to feed, clothe and educate. Knitting is a comfort to me, especially in those dark nights when I am awake from either fear or pain. Feeling the yarn slip through my fingers and watching the pattern of small, intricate lace appear provides a peace to me that nothing else has (except cuddling my babies ;) )

I have been a loyal customer for close to 10 years buying your magazines and books and I will continue to purchase items as I can because my love of lace knitting drives me to learn everything I can. But unfortunately some knowledge will be with held from be because I can't afford a tablet.

k4tog wrote
on May 15, 2012 8:30 AM

I was so excited to see this emag, I love to knit lace.  Click...click... CRASH, I can't get it, it is only for i-pad.  WHAT!?!?!?!?!?  I was greatly dissappointed! and...after a few days of thinking it over, I still am! I don't have an i-pad by choice, I have a kindle, a PC, an android phone, I don't have the time, space, or money for another electronic device.  PLEASE make it available elsewhere!

on May 14, 2012 5:35 PM

Given the nature of digital production and distribution, it was reasonable to assume that the price drops were an outgrowth of improved efficiency in production and distribution. I wouldn't have applauded nearly so loudly if I had known that they were preludes to completely abandoning a large swath of your loyal user base.

The decision to go with any proprietary format over the newest epub3 standard -- which is interactive and will work across platforms and across the range of devices (desktops, tablets and phones) -- seems short-sighted at best.

Granted there are major changes in the industry, but this smacks more of having a short-term cost savings coupled with a hoped-for boost in sales in the "i" walled garden, as opposed to moving ahead into the true future of digital publishing.

JaimeG wrote
on May 14, 2012 2:22 PM

Dear Readers,

Thank you for your response to the launch of our new LaceKnits eMag for the iPad. Here at Interweave we launched our first eMags for PCs and MACs in June 2009 – several months before iPads were even on the market. Over time, we started building these eMags for the iPad platform, in part because of customer demand, and also because the iPad is ideally suited for the interactive nature of these digital publications. The decision to stop creating our interactive eMags for desktop computer viewing wasn’t an easy one, but eventually it was a business decision to move the eMags exclusively to the iPad. Software companies are putting their new development efforts into the tablet devices as opposed to the PC/MAC devices. This has resulted in very few improvements to publishing software developed for desktop computers. As a result, it costs a tremendous amount of money per eMag to build it for an acceptable PC/MAC viewing and reading experience and the sales numbers couldn’t continue to support this effort. We are happy to say that over time we have reduced the retail price of our eMags substantially, from $14.99 to just $4.99 each, and that overwhelmingly our customers have applauded this new pricing model.

Please be aware that this business decision is happening not just in the knitting category eMags, but in all enthusiast art and craft disciplines across the company. We are constantly evaluating other tablet devices and platforms, and will be conducting additional surveys of our readers to find which tablet devices they are adopting and using the most.

If you are looking for other digital options at Interweave, currently Interweave Knits is available as digital editions through the Nook Newsstand from Barnes & Noble, on the iPad through iTunes, and on PCs, MACs, iPads and various Android devices through the Zinio app. There are also several other options for PieceWork and Interweave Crochet magazines.  You can find the complete information about the digital options for our circulation magazines on our new webpage, http://digital.interweave.com/.

Sincerely,

Jaime Guthals

Director of Public Relations

Interweave

ggclaudia38 wrote
on May 14, 2012 1:58 PM

It should be called 'A New reason to dislike Knitting Daily'  as they are trying to force us to buy an iPad. That is not going to happen!

KarenO@3 wrote
on May 13, 2012 2:00 PM

It's a shame that you are leaving behind those of us who don't "tweet" or "facebook" or "iPad-dle" (as I am calling it).  I love to knit.  It is my passion.  I particularly love lace knitting, and I am quite proud of my accomplishments.  Your recent post only address "eMag" and other electronic access to LaceKnits.  What a shame that my type of knitting - from hardcopy books/patterns is being left in the dust by you "new-wave techies".  :-(

ChelseaD@5 wrote
on May 13, 2012 8:47 AM

@sherrillclark - When you try and download the lace emag it takes you to the itunes store - also, it says right on the bottom of the emags page in the Interweave store "only available for ipad" - we are "ranting and raving" for good reason!

on May 13, 2012 5:25 AM

The article says this mag will be available for the iPad, too... I take that to mean its also available in other modalities ladies and gentlemen calm down take some tea and read carefully before you rant and rave...

dockat wrote
on May 12, 2012 11:55 PM

I honestly have to agree with the previous posts.... NOT EVERY ONE IS IN LOVE WITH APPLE!!!!! Much less are able to afford their products.

Can you please make your products, apps, downloads available to everyone??

Sharon1220 wrote
on May 12, 2012 10:29 PM

I was hoping the emag would be offered like all of your other ebooks.  I can purchase them and download them to my PC desktop.  From there, I am hoping I can add them to my Kindle.  I haven't tried to do that, but my tech person says I should be able to.  If not, I can at least read it on my PC, or more likely, print out the pages of the project I am working on.  I quit buying Apple projects when they dropped their slogan "Apple ][ forever."  and began developing the Mac.

KelleyD wrote
on May 12, 2012 10:02 PM

You are cutting down your market by only offering ebooks and mags to Apple users.

Come on, either find a format that can be read on Kindle, Android and PC/Mag to keep your existing base, or start your bankruptcy filing now when your readers all leave.

Not everyone has 500 bucks to drop on an iPad or wants to or likes that feature set.  Many of us don't like the prop nature of Apple products.

BeaW@4 wrote
on May 12, 2012 6:50 PM

Saved your email so I could order LaceKnits eMag today. Boy was I disappointed to discover I have to own an Apple IPad so I could pay for, download and view.  Well, sorry folks I own a Kindle and have no plans to buy an Apple IPad or any other Apple product.  I'm really unhappy about your partnership with Apple to help sell their products. Well, not going to happen folks. I guess I'll have to live without this eMag. I wonder what other Interweave products I'll be able to live without.

Bea

Bev Moon wrote
on May 12, 2012 4:20 PM

Sorry--can't use this as I don't have an I-Pad.  Great disservice to those of us who don't have Apple products--not good customer relations and as I have read all of the comments here they agree with this.  Please make this available for those of us who only have a PC or who have a different tablet.  I happen to have an Asus EEE and love it because it has Adobe capabilities which Apple doesn't.  I can upload a pattern that I have saved to my Asus because most of my patterns--even those I have ordered from Interweave--are in Adobe form.  I think you are losing many, many sales because of this!

on May 12, 2012 4:04 PM

"We're so excited about the new eMag, LaceKnits!"

So was I, until I realized that "It'll be available for the iPad, too," actually meant "only."

Really? Come on now...Really?

I am a sorely disappointed PC laptop, Mac mini, and Android phone owner who is obviously not alone in the knitting universe. :-(

HeidiR@2 wrote
on May 12, 2012 3:06 PM

I was so excited to see this.  Imagine my disappointment when I found that I couldn't purchase it because I don't own an IPad.  Not smart marketing in my opinion.

MaddyP wrote
on May 12, 2012 11:41 AM

When shopping for a tablet, I purposely did NOT buy an iPad b/c I will NOT be dictated into buying Apple products.  I can download all books and magazines on my Asus Transformer tablet, except Apple.  Much as I love lace knitting, I would rather pass on this one than be told that the only way I can get these patterns is thru the Apple store.

I am very disappointed in you, Interweave.  I have several subscriptions with you and if this continues, I may have to re-evaluate...

ggclaudia38 wrote
on May 12, 2012 10:32 AM

I really like Carol Fellers Aileron shawl and Laura Nelkin's Severn shawl that is featured and I love knitting lace. Would like to be able to find the pattern on my PC. Are you  partners with the iPad makers and trying to force us into buy one to up their sales? Won't happen! There are people out here that cannot afford to buy them.

jlowe74269 wrote
on May 12, 2012 9:41 AM

But....what about those of us that use Droids?  We would like to be included. I have a droid phone and a Nook that uses a droid platform.  I also have a PC...don't useMac products of an y type!

chupie wrote
on May 11, 2012 11:45 PM

It say will be available for iPad TOO. Does that mean it will be online for computers? Will it be available for iPhone? What exactly does this mean? I'd really like to get that scarf pattern. Why is this so hard?

Laura wrote
on May 11, 2012 7:00 PM

Please make this available for PC! I would also love to see your apps made available for Android.

ChelseaD@5 wrote
on May 11, 2012 5:59 PM

Please make this available to us insatiable lace knitters who aren't lucky enough to own an iPad and only have a PC at their disposal!

on May 11, 2012 12:38 PM

I'm a beginning lace knitter and I also feel a great sense of achievement when I knit lace.  I think this eMag would be very helpful for me, if it was available to download on my mac.  The sockupied eMags are available on the computer, can't the lace mag be available on that as well?

LynneR@3 wrote
on May 11, 2012 11:23 AM

I too would like this and other apps available for PC users.

BarbaraG wrote
on May 11, 2012 10:55 AM

I want this emag, but I don't have an iPad! I'm seconding the request for PC version!!

KristinI wrote
on May 11, 2012 10:33 AM

Nice! But what about us who don't have an iPad?? Will you make a version that can be downloaded to PC?