Knitting + Crochet = Fabulous (and Free!)

Oct 5, 2012

Knitting and crochet are sisters who share a rich history. From knitted buntings to crocheted lace collars, these two crafts have been providing beauty, pride—and even a livelihood—for hundreds of years.

To celebrate this history, I've pulled together five patterns that use knitting and crochet to achieve beauty, style, and even a little whimsy, in Sensational Knit and Crochet: 5 Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns, a free eBook!.

Clockwise from top left: Lacy Cables Scarf; Snow Queen Hat; Snowflake Sweater; Coco/Holly Topsy-Turvy Doll; Mélange Turtleneck
Knitted cables wind through the center of Annette Petavy's Lacy Cables Scarf, with a deep frame of elegant mesh crochet stitch. The Snow Queen Hat by Anastasia Popova is a quick knit with crocheted motifs adding a bit of snowy style to the brim. Mari Lynn Patrick's Snowflake Sweater draws on knitting skills to shape worsted-weight yarn around a crocheted motif worked in a lightweight yarn. Clever crocheted seams draw the garment together.

The Mélange Turtleneck by Katie Himmelberg pairs a stockinette body with crocheted, shell pattern sleeves and collar. It's great in two colors, or use just one to make a sophisticated show-stopper. Knit and crochet form fast friends in Annie Modesitt's Coco/Holly Topsy-Turvy Doll. The socialite Coco is knitted, and her hippie chick friend Holly is crocheted.

We've also provided some crochet basics for you in case you're new to crochet or need to brush up on your skills.

Expand your needlework skills by trying one or more of these knitting and crochet patterns; download Sensational Knit and Crochet: 5 Free Knitting and Crochet Patterns today!

Cheers,

Comments

reilii wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 2:26 PM

Hello,

This does not open.

Thank you.

Rei

HTNatch wrote
on Oct 6, 2012 6:00 AM

So that misconception doesn't continue, I'd just like to remind everyone that the earliest crochet that can be documented was in the mid 1800's.

tiffwarble wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 10:10 AM

Our human side is showing . . . so sorry everyone for the error. The link is all fixed up now, we hope you enjoy the latest free eBook to kick off the wonderful fall knitting season. Enjoy!

Tiffany

Nancila59 wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 9:25 AM

umm, all the links send you to "7 gloves, mittens, mitts patterns", not to "5 Knit & Crochet patterns"...  Nice book, but I want the one Kathleen's talking about today...!

on Oct 5, 2012 8:47 AM

The hyper link to this book does not go to this ebook.  It goes to the glove ebook.  Can you please correct and send another email out?  I would really love to have the doll instructions.  Thank you!  Love Interweave!!

debbiekc wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 8:47 AM

Just go straight to it with this link:

www.knittingdaily.com/.../102985.aspx

I don't remember how I got there, but it takes you to the right download

LindaDouglas wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 8:45 AM

Hate to sound picky, but I used to work in IT. This is not the first time for this problem. Maybe you should make sure the person responsible for the web pages is on the same schedule as you are.

Linda Douglas

Sarina wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 8:41 AM

Hello Kathleen,

The download link takes us to 7 Free patterns for fingerless gloves, etc.  Also a lovely download, but I was really hoping for the doll pattern, she is adorable.

Love you site.

Sarina

Anitac315 wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 8:20 AM

Yep, same comment about the glove book.  I'm seeing myself wearing the Melange Turtleneck, all done with lush fuscia wool.  But I live in Houston.  Maybe I could wear it twice a year!

MomFLYer wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 7:43 AM

Oh, I'd love to get the Melange Turtleneck, but the link goes to the ebook about gloves - which I already have lol.

Laura wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 7:28 AM

The text says 5 patterns, the front cover says 7, and the actual book is for gloves. Whoops!

LindaDouglas wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 7:22 AM

Kathleen,

The link that's supposed to go to "sensational Knit and Crochet " actually goes to a different eBook.

Linda Douglas