Sock Weather

Nov 2, 2012

A note from Kathleen: It's time to snuggle into your couch and tuck into some sock knitting. Here's Sockupied Editor Anne Merrow to give you some inspiration!

Pumpion Socks by Julie Suchomel

Turnalar Socks By Leslie Comstock

Sock-Knitting Season

The last week has brought weather from coast to coast in the United States—snow in the West, hurricanes in the East. Whether you're curled up in front of a fireplace or seeking higher ground, there's nothing like being forced indoors to make knitting the activity of choice.

And when you're faced with high snowdrifts, high tides, or high winds, knitted socks will please your hands and feet. The perfect portable project, socks take a small amount of yarn. When you're finished, you'll be glad that wool insulates even when wet and can hold a lot of water before it feels wet on your feet.

The Fall 2012 issue of Sockupied has patterns that keep your fingers flying. The Scandent Socks, Pumpion Socks, and Semaphore Socks all have addictive stitch patterns that are easy to memorize. For a little more of a challenge, the clever Emerging Cable Socks, richly patterned Turnalar Socks, and textured Chardonnay Socks have charted motifs that yield spectacular results.

Boss Your Socks Around
When we were first dreaming up Sockupied, we knew we wanted it to be clever. Much as I love the designs in Sockupied, I really love the idea that you can make socks that are just right for you.

This issue is full of smart ideas. Franklin Habit revived a technique called garter-stitch Jacquard, a colorful way of adding texture to a pattern-and then he developed a method for working it in the round. Standard Jacquard designs can be worked in the garter-stitch method, and plain old garter stitch can get a jolt of color from a Fair Isle pattern

Chardonnay Socks by Chrissy Gardiner
Candace Eisner Strick decided she wasn't crazy about short-rows, so she created her own sock construction: she works the heels and toes flat! The resulting footwear can be completely reversible, and she even developed a new provisional cast-on based on the Channel Island Cast-on. (This has become my favorite cast-on...) You can substitute Candace's method for short-rows in other designs to make socks your own way.

Kate Atherley provides a comprehensive run-down of the top-down toe, from the standard wedge toe to a design for comfy left and right socks. When a few little piggies don't like the way a top-down sock toe fits, you can customize the pattern with Kate's suggestions.

Download Sockupied Fall 2012 today for intriguing designs, clever techniques, and fun features.

P.S. What's your favorite thing about knitting socks? Leave a comment below and let us know!

Comments

MimsyKells wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 2:25 PM

Though I haven't tried my hand at knitting socks, I am enamored with it as an idea. I've only received one pair of knitted socks in my lifetime and they were not comfy, but I can't help being convinced that hand-knitted socks must be more comfortable than machine knitted.

Every other piece of knitting I've done has been more comfy than anything I could find in a store. And while it is true that these pieces are (my case) all scarves, that it took only a little less than a dozen or so scarves to "convert" me is powerful proof indeed!

mcathyt wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 12:15 PM

I love knitting socks because I love wearing them!  I love making Tabi socks because I love wearing my flip flops all year round.  And I love giving my handknitted socks to my grandchildren because they love them!

on Nov 3, 2012 2:36 PM

Can someone tell me where the download is for a MAC version of this season's Sockupied magazine?

Helen Kepner wrote
on Nov 3, 2012 10:40 AM

Trying to find a pattern to knit 2 socks in 1 called double knitting

PattyJ wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 12:30 PM

I've knit several dozen pairs. I like knitting them because:  portable project, lots of ethnic variety, different shaping methods, fairly quick to finish a pair.  And I like wearing them because they cover up my nasty compression hose.

on Nov 2, 2012 11:46 AM

Ok....all I want to do is learn how to knit socks and mittens.  I'm a kinetic sort.....

and don't "sit" for hours.  But so want to learn!!!!!  I've tried twice to knit socks and have two half socks ...... where is there a pattern, help???  Thanks!

Lynn058 wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 11:34 AM

Thanks to "magic loop", I can still knit socks.......my hands can't handle double points anymore very well.......but with only one needle to handle, I can still knit my most favorite of items .............socks!!.................................................L.B.

DianaBurrell wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 10:28 AM

I agree with KayH below ... using Sandy to sell an online sock magazine was in really poor taste. Have you seen what people -- knitters and non-knitters alike -- are going through in places like New Jersey, West Virginia, and New York? Being able to download your magazine and finding time to knit socks is the least of their problems.

sultan05us wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 10:16 AM

Mmm socks!  I am currently living in NYC with no power and these socks look really good!  Let me tell you that knitting with my headlamp has kept me sane.  Have completed a 64" scarf in superfine Merino and silk/stainless steel, all the parts of a mohair/silk shrug and am working on a hand dyed denim scarf!  While everyone searches for power outlets to satify their endless need for electricity, I am finding solice in knitting and the old ways - boiling water to bath, eating simply, walking to work and finally climbing under my wonderful 900 fill goosedown duvet with my little transistor radio safter an hour or two of satisfying knitting.  I am so grateful to have a roof over my head, needles  and glorious yarn to make something useful with.  Tom Kennedy

on Nov 2, 2012 9:47 AM

Socks...now there's an accessory that I can't seem to get myself fascinated with...but sock yarn? Now that's another story as long as I can make something else with it.

sjc2 wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 8:30 AM

So I see you started the KAL without me, and if without one very likely a lot of others who "voted" and thought they were included.  Thanks a heap.  This is one frustrating website and you are getting things so fouled up that it's really not much worth checking in here anymore.  It had possibilities but seems to have lost its vision of the future.

And I second the idea expressed by the above poster.  You've apparently never had to be on the butt end of such a disaster; I've no clue what might have been appropriate commentary in such a case--"none" flies to the front of my own mind-- but I would prefer that salespeople stick to what they know (although in this case, mucking up something as simple as a KAL, for the second time, may indicate that the sales side needs help too).

Canada Sue wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 8:17 AM

Ahh socks.Fun to knit,project small to transport,recipients love to get them and such a varuety of patterns to chose from.You can never have enough sock patterns.I continue to purchase more sock books and still am not satisfied.I am a sockaholic

Canada Sue

KayH@21 wrote
on Nov 2, 2012 8:13 AM

I think is was very inappropriate to light heartedly mention flooding and hurricanes in an article about knitting socks.  Children and others died during the storm.  Need I say more??