Knitting Tips and Tricks

Nov 19, 2012

I love a good shortcut, whether it's cutting through an alley to avoid traffic or weaving in ends as I knit so I don't have to do it at the end of the project. Here are a few of my favorites, all of them things I learned from Knitting Daily TV!

Weave in Yarns as You Go

Place the needle in the next stitch and, before wrapping it, lay the yarn tail over the working yarn. Now work the next stitch; the tail is now fastened in. Repeat this for about 1 to 2 inches making sure to carry the yarn tail loosely to avoid puckering.

This technique is a real lifesaver when you're knitting a striped project.

This is the correct orientation for adding new yarns. Positioning the yarns this way created a continuous length of yarn and will make your joins invisible.

Joining Yarns

Hold the old and new yarn together so that the tail of the old one overlaps with the tail of the new one, creating a continuous yarn. Knit with both strands for about 4 to 5 stitches. Then discontinue knitting with the old strand and continue on with the new one. On the next row, treat the two yarns as one stitch, not two. This join can be used for light- to worsted-weight yarn.

Tracking Your Project Needle Size

Take a very long piece of contrasting scrap yarn and tie the exact number of knots to represent the size of your knitting needle. That way, if you remove your needle for use on another project, you will always know what size needle you were working with on the unfinished project.

(This is one of my favorites! I hate doing gauge swatches again just to see what needle size I used.)

Tracking Your Cable Rows

Tie some scrap yarn with the cast-on yarn tail when working a cable. Take the scrap yarn and flip it over the needle every four rows—it looks like a running stitch up the project. You will always know what row of the cable you're on as you only have to count four rows.

Why do it every four rows? Because so many cables are based on a multiple of four rows.

Pretty great tips, right? You'll use these techniques a lot, whether you're cable knitting, swatching, knitting stripes, or pulling needles from one project to use in another.

Each episode of Knitting Daily TV is full of tips just like these, to make your knitting easier and more fun. You can download single episodes from the Knitting Daily Shop, so browse the selection and choose a few today!

Cheers,

P.S. What's your favorite knitting tip? Share it with us below in the comments!

Comments

on Nov 25, 2012 9:16 AM

These tips are fabulous, I am familier with one !!  And, will soon be including the next three.

My tip, taken from Mom, is if a pattern has many variable rows, copy each row on an individual card and rotate cards as you work.  Saves time and helps to stay focused!!

sabonthius wrote
on Nov 24, 2012 3:55 PM

Instead of pulling the yarn from the center of the skein my mom always took the yarn from the outside.  Reason:  the yarn on the outside would get dirty while pulling from the center

Barbara Utto wrote
on Nov 24, 2012 3:48 PM

One of the best hints I've ever come across is along the same lines as tacking cable rows. When knitting a lacy pattern, thread a different color yarn across the first row of your pattern several pattern rows into your project..  If you drop a stitch or have to rip, you only have to rip down to the "life line." It has been a life saver for me.

brubarb08@comcast.net

11-24-12

DUCKY711 wrote
on Nov 24, 2012 12:00 PM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the tips and tricks from Knitting Daily and from those that have commented.  I find a little of myself in each comment... especially Blacksheep and 'borrowing' needles.  I AM THE WORST AT THAT!!!  It may help if we didn't have so many WIP's!  Naaa... too many good things to knit!

Thank you all for sharing.

knitterlynan wrote
on Nov 20, 2012 11:40 AM

If I'm not sure how tall I can make a pair of socks with the ball of yarn I have, I use a provisional cast on starting just above the heel. I'll knit the feet first and then divide the remainder of the yarn for the legs.

Beauty maker wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 7:31 PM

Love your tips.  Here's another.  Save those square plastic thingies used to close the  plastic bread bags as row markers or row counters.

Kaitha Het Heru

www.kaithahetheru.com

on Nov 19, 2012 4:19 PM

A tip. I always end with a knit stitch being my next stitch. For instance, if I have to leave what I am doing and I am doing a k2,p2 rib I will stop before the first k2. It really helps.

Christine B

LadyKRose wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 3:26 PM

I keep track of needle size and yarn type in a knitting log.   That also helps me to know how long I have had a project as a WIP.  Also write down the pattern name or number so I can find it again, if I want to repeat a project.

on Nov 19, 2012 12:49 PM

Kathleen,  These were the very hottest tips!  Thanks for that!  You are doing a great job writing the knitting news.  One thing that works for me is to knit two stitches at the beginning of a row, then snug them which saves a sloppy stitch at the edge.  I also use two circular needles instead of DP when knitting socks.

blacksheep wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 12:07 PM

I LOVE the tip about knots number matching needle size.  I am the worst at 'borrowing' needles and not remembering what size really goes with a project.

I also use the magic loop method, LOVE IT!  I teach it to all new knitters.   Thank you for all the great tips!

blacksheep wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 12:07 PM

Msbolego wrote
on Nov 19, 2012 8:53 AM

My favorite tips

LONG CABLE CIRCULAR NEEDLES-totally eliminated those awful double pointed needles, Called the "magic loop" method.  there is a booklet floating around somewhere by that name.

SLIP THE FIRST STITCH OF EVERY ROW AND KNIT THE LAST

leaves a nice tight edge.

EUROPEAN KNITTING with the yarn wrapped around the left pinky and pointer.  Saves time